Entertainment Earth Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 27, 2019

3.2
Aaron Labowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun Company, Cool Products, Great People"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro - I get to talk about Star Wars and Marvel as part of my job!
    The environment is collaborative, and fun. The owners truly care about each aspect of the business, and it's great to get 1:1 time with them. My co-workers are cool, and I actually enjoy their company! Comic-Con is huge, and it's fun to be part of the buzz. Every day is different, yet fun. Did I mention I get to talk about Star Wars and Marvel everyday?!

Perks:
    - Affordable health and dental insurance
    - Laundry service
    - Soda and coffee machines
    - Snacks
    - Company sponsored outings (including Comic-Con!)
    - Free and discounted collectibles

Cons

Most work areas are bull pen style, which can be problematic for someone who prefers a quiet environment. I personally thrive in it, and love how it fosters growth and idea sharing.

Advice to Management

Keep it fun. Keep it cool! This is a great place to work.

2. "Don't do it"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun environment to work in

Cons

owners are too into themselves to care about their employees

3. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Entertainment Earth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company! Plenty of parking, fun social days like Hawaiian Shirt Day and Pajama Day, free fruit (good bananas, not just bs fruit that no one eats), competitive pay, product discount, laundry service(yes, someone will wash your dirty laundry and return it to you in a small cube), amazing people in every department, a lot of donuts, lounge with video games, darts, and a foosball table. It varies by department but overall everyone here is fun, nice, and is passionate about collectibles. I can't say enough great things about this company and the people that work here; I enjoy every day and that does not happen at most jobs.

Cons

Every company has some, there is no holy grail of a job: communication and indecisiveness are the 2 main issues that stick out. Sometimes people don't really know what they want or they change their minds, this happens everywhere. The communication issues are easily solved by speaking up, asking questions, and triple checking your work.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of finger pointing and blaming from everyone when something is wrong; continue to try and create an environment where making mistakes is ok and no one is blamed but instead people aren't afraid to take responsibility for their actions so they can learn and be better in the future.

4. "Fun Environment, Fun People"

I have been working at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work if you love pop culture, toys/collectibles, and a fun work environment. There are great benefits and perks, such as company-wide movie outings and an employee discount on the products. Management is friendly and approachable, and often very involved in even minor projects.

Cons

I think it is department-specific, but I do not see many opportunities for upward growth. I want to hone my skills in my field, but I find myself working on many side-projects that distract from my personal goals.

Advice to Management

Due to competing opinions amongst management, I often find myself redoing the same projects over and over again. Better communication within the management would greatly improve the work culture.

"Fun place to work but, still figuring it out even after 20 years."

Former Employee - Distribution in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Distribution in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, free broken toys & soda. Occasional movie nights & trips to Comic Con in San Diego. You can decorate your desk like a child's bedroom & nobody cares.

Cons

I worked in the wholesale department for several years. Between senior sales supervisors who tend to hoard key accounts after sales reps leave & an ever revolving door of sales directors, it's a wonder the department hasn't fell apart entirely. The owners are nice but mostly absent, leaving incompetent management to make the day to day decisions. High turnover in the sales department due to low commissions doesn't help either.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees who are dedicated & experienced as your foundation, rather than youthful beginners who learn on the job for minimal pay. If veteran reps choose to leave, find out why & try to fix the issue rather than just giving them a smile & a final paycheck on their last day.

6. "A bunch of nice nerds :)"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entertainment Earth was a awesome place to work. My co-workers were all great people and good friends. I enjoyed going into work everyday. The owners, Aaron and Jason, are passionate about the toy industry and you can see that in the way they run the company. It is definitely a work hard, play hard environment but if you care about the work and making good stuff than you will fit right in.

Cons

Near the end of my time with Entertainment Earth I was having trouble seeing my direction for upward growth. The projects I was working on were fulfilling and exciting but I wasn't seeing a clear, long-term path for what I could do next to advance my specific skill sets.

Advice to Management

Those company-wide movie outings were highlight events for me. I highly recommend more of them.

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee perks, great management, fun environment, understanding and helpful employees/management.

Cons

Not many cons, the only bad thing is that it is located in Simi Valley

"Going Downhill Fast"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount on products is pretty great and there are some great people who you get to work with. If you're just starting out in your field this is an ok place to work.

The perks are ok... you get laundry service up to $150, they have a soda fountain, coffee, and fruit.

Cons

When I started working there my manager was really great. She actively involved us in all the planning and was also actively involved in our work as well. She really fostered great teamwork and I felt as though she cared greatly about everyone on our team. Unfortunately soon after I started she was let go and replaced by someone from the in-house marketing team.

The new management of my team was very toxic and really made my job feel unpleasant. The new management was very negative and had a very "know-it-all" attitude even when they made mistakes. They also would partake in a lot of gossip on the office floor where everyone can hear which made it very hard to respect my management. There were a lot of lies and very much a "throw anyone under the bus to survive" attitude which doesn't make for great leadership. A leader is only as good as their team and if they cannot respect their team neither the leader or their team will be successful. Numbers were fudged to make management look better and no one was checking their work. There was also very little followthrough with management. Things were promised and never delivered and it was very easy for management to let things fall to the wayside. While this bad behavior was not aimed toward me personally (until I gave my two weeks, that is) it made me very uncomfortable to work under said management and quickly led me to leave the company.

It also really perplexed me as to why they would choose management from the in-house production team to take over all marketing for the entire company. The in-house team has never successfully marketed a product. Their stuff sells in wholesale but they never made any of their brands a household name and they never made a blip on the radar when it came to pop culture news sources. So I have to wonder why would you give them more responsibility?

Advice to Management

Hire people who know what they are doing and hire leadership that has management and leadership skills. If you plan to keep your current marketing management you should invest in leadership training for them and have a no tolerance policy for gossip, lies, and manipulative behavior.

"Acceptable Entry Level; No Options for Moving Up"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

It's a sometimes fun work environment, and they do try to give some employee perks, like movie days and discounts on stock. Every now and then they give free damaged product away to employees.

Cons

Getting promoted or getting a raise is hard. Heavy workload expectation, with very little recognition of success, but harsh words if you make errors.

Advice to Management

Value your people more. Pay them a fair living wage, and offer more in terms of positive reinforcement, and you'll go far. Update the website.

Entertainment Earth Response

May 5, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We're committed to creating a fun working environment and are happy to hear you enjoyed a few of the company perks you mentioned.

Receiving a promotion or raise is... More

"Look somewhere else"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

Good first job experience for a 20 something. Friendly coworkers. Fun product. Great way to make contacts with other companies in the entertainment industry. Network all you can, this will help you out later when you realize that you can be happier working somewhere else. Every few months they line you up in the warehouse and you get to take a few broken toys that otherwise can't be sold.

Cons

Sales are way down. The bottom line is that this company wants to pay you as little as possible and cut corners whenever they can. There is a reason anyone with ambition leaves this company. The meager wages provided may be passable if you are young and live with your parents, but they are impossible to survive on otherwise. My first warning sign should have been the condition of the vehicles in the parking lot or when I noticed how many employees get dropped off or walk to work because they can't afford a car. Department managers must do as they are told or face the wrath of the owners. They rarely last for more than a year before being fired. I hoped things would get better as time went on, but sadly, they only got worse. The company website is over 10 years old and looks like a mess. See for yourself. Read all the reviews on here. Most of the positive reviews are obviously written by HR or upper management, and look like they copied the words verbatim from the company handbook.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. Expect the herd to keep thinning as you continue to cut pay, tax perks, reduce bonuses and treat your staff like they are expendable.