Entertainment Earth Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Aaron Labowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A bunch of nice nerds :)"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Entertainment Earth was a awesome place to work. My co-workers were all great people and good friends. I enjoyed going into work everyday. The owners, Aaron and Jason, are passionate about the toy industry and you can see that in the way they run the company. It is definitely a work hard, play hard environment but if you care about the work and making good stuff than you will fit right in.

Cons

Near the end of my time with Entertainment Earth I was having trouble seeing my direction for upward growth. The projects I was working on were fulfilling and exciting but I wasn't seeing a clear, long-term path for what I could do next to advance my specific skill sets.

Advice to Management

Those company-wide movie outings were highlight events for me. I highly recommend more of them.

"Fun place to work but, still figuring it out even after 20 years."

Former Employee - Distribution in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Distribution in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, free broken toys & soda. Occasional movie nights & trips to Comic Con in San Diego. You can decorate your desk like a child's bedroom & nobody cares.

Cons

I worked in the wholesale department for several years. Between senior sales supervisors who tend to hoard key accounts after sales reps leave & an ever revolving door of sales directors, it's a wonder the department hasn't fell apart entirely. The owners are nice but mostly absent, leaving incompetent management to make the day to day decisions. High turnover in the sales department due to low commissions doesn't help either.

Advice to Management

Focus on employees who are dedicated & experienced as your foundation, rather than youthful beginners who learn on the job for minimal pay. If veteran reps choose to leave, find out why & try to fix the issue rather than just giving them a smile & a final paycheck on their last day.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee perks, great management, fun environment, understanding and helpful employees/management.

Cons

Not many cons, the only bad thing is that it is located in Simi Valley

"Going Downhill Fast"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount on products is pretty great and there are some great people who you get to work with. If you're just starting out in your field this is an ok place to work.

The perks are ok... you get laundry service up to $150, they have a soda fountain, coffee, and fruit.

Cons

When I started working there my manager was really great. She actively involved us in all the planning and was also actively involved in our work as well. She really fostered great teamwork and I felt as though she cared greatly about everyone on our team. Unfortunately soon after I started she was let go and replaced by someone from the in-house marketing team.

The new management of my team was very toxic and really made my job feel unpleasant. The new management was very negative and had a very "know-it-all" attitude even when they made mistakes. They also would partake in a lot of gossip on the office floor where everyone can hear which made it very hard to respect my management. There were a lot of lies and very much a "throw anyone under the bus to survive" attitude which doesn't make for great leadership. A leader is only as good as their team and if they cannot respect their team neither the leader or their team will be successful. Numbers were fudged to make management look better and no one was checking their work. There was also very little followthrough with management. Things were promised and never delivered and it was very easy for management to let things fall to the wayside. While this bad behavior was not aimed toward me personally (until I gave my two weeks, that is) it made me very uncomfortable to work under said management and quickly led me to leave the company.

It also really perplexed me as to why they would choose management from the in-house production team to take over all marketing for the entire company. The in-house team has never successfully marketed a product. Their stuff sells in wholesale but they never made any of their brands a household name and they never made a blip on the radar when it came to pop culture news sources. So I have to wonder why would you give them more responsibility?

Advice to Management

Hire people who know what they are doing and hire leadership that has management and leadership skills. If you plan to keep your current marketing management you should invest in leadership training for them and have a no tolerance policy for gossip, lies, and manipulative behavior.

"Acceptable Entry Level; No Options for Moving Up"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

It's a sometimes fun work environment, and they do try to give some employee perks, like movie days and discounts on stock. Every now and then they give free damaged product away to employees.

Cons

Getting promoted or getting a raise is hard. Heavy workload expectation, with very little recognition of success, but harsh words if you make errors.

Advice to Management

Value your people more. Pay them a fair living wage, and offer more in terms of positive reinforcement, and you'll go far. Update the website.

May 5, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We're committed to creating a fun working environment and are happy to hear you enjoyed a few of the company perks you mentioned.

Receiving a promotion or raise is... More

"Look somewhere else"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

Good first job experience for a 20 something. Friendly coworkers. Fun product. Great way to make contacts with other companies in the entertainment industry. Network all you can, this will help you out later when you realize that you can be happier working somewhere else. Every few months they line you up in the warehouse and you get to take a few broken toys that otherwise can't be sold.

Cons

Sales are way down. The bottom line is that this company wants to pay you as little as possible and cut corners whenever they can. There is a reason anyone with ambition leaves this company. The meager wages provided may be passable if you are young and live with your parents, but they are impossible to survive on otherwise. My first warning sign should have been the condition of the vehicles in the parking lot or when I noticed how many employees get dropped off or walk to work because they can't afford a car. Department managers must do as they are told or face the wrath of the owners. They rarely last for more than a year before being fired. I hoped things would get better as time went on, but sadly, they only got worse. The company website is over 10 years old and looks like a mess. See for yourself. Read all the reviews on here. Most of the positive reviews are obviously written by HR or upper management, and look like they copied the words verbatim from the company handbook.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for. Expect the herd to keep thinning as you continue to cut pay, tax perks, reduce bonuses and treat your staff like they are expendable.

"Growing Company"

Former Employee - Lead Operations Specialist in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Operations Specialist in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

From my years of experience, here are the pros I see in EE:
    - they don't just focus on what's going on now, they have goals they constantly work towards for the next 5 to 10 years.
    - work environment is great. Have built some long lasting friends from working here. There's a balance between having fun while working and when its time to focus to get things done.
    - management is approachable (even the owners). You can discuss things openly with your manager or HR and are treated fairly.
    - they work with you on your career. You have to be willing to put in the work. They do reward those who provide quality work. I started off as an Administrative Assistant. I moved my way up to Operations Manager in a few years. I personally chose to step down to Lead Operations Specialist due to starting my own family and wanting more time spent with family instead of on my career.
    - if there are problems, they always look into how to fix it efficiently and effectively. You can provide suggestions/feedback on how to resolve the issue as well.
    - Management is flexible/understanding of personal situations and willing to work out schedules that fit both parties the best they can.
    - Management is always there to help you when needed and will help guide you so in the future you can do it on your own without help.
    - Their policies and procedures are documented so things are streamlined and done the same way. If you have improvements to make things better, they are always willing to hear it. Since policies/procedures are documented, there is no confusion on how certain tasks are done.
    - Staff meetings: managers provide entire company each department's progress and the company's progress overall on goals. This helps show how everyone works in their departments and together to achieve company's goal. After each meeting, staff is rewarded with staff picks.
    - San Diego Comic-Con: during this time, there are staff members chosen to go based on needs at the show and needs at the office to make sure things are ran smoothly. Management will ask if you are interested in going and take it into consideration.

Cons

Like anywhere you work, there are great things but there are also the bad:
    - with growing pains, the company was restructuring, personnel changes happened often.
    - Sometimes management may appear to praise one department a lot more than others (but honestly they appreciate everyone's work)
    - sometimes staff may be stretched thin when not hiring more staff to help with tasks but in the end it works out. Help would be provided other ways.
    - sometimes management may give conflicting directions.

"Ineffective management creates a hostile work environment"

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

1. They allow you to make your own hours, as long as you put in eight hours a day. Some people come in 7am to leave early, other people don’t come in until 9/9:30am.

2. Sometimes they plan outings, like renting out a movie theatre. We saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman v Superman, and Captain America: Civil War among others. I don’t think they do that anymore though, to save money.

3. The products are cool, and so is the discount – even if they get stuff in later than other stores.

4. Most of the people (the entry level people) are awesome.

Cons

1. There's no real management here. The people who are in "upper management" either founded the company or have been there 10+ years, they aren't trained in what it means to manage a team. Every meeting (whether it's upper management only or with teams) is unproductive and usually accompanied by screaming, finger pointing, scolding... They think shouting is the way to motivate/inspire people. (And: The CEO and his brother, who’s the founder and President, don’t see eye to eye all the time. So you’ll get one of them saying one thing to you, but then get in trouble for doing it by the other.)

2. Their HR department is ineffective, but super nice. They know about problems within the company – the abrasive managers, conflicts between departments – but don’t do anything to remedy it. A big part of the problem is that the owners of the company allow their managers to treat each other and their employees with such disrespect that it becomes accepted by everyone, even HR.

3. The company is unwilling to adapt to changing times. They started a marketing department within the last two years informally, and built and fired half the department within 2016. They consider marketing to be “the hard sell,” and don’t listen to anything the marketing department suggested. Besides marketing, their website is not mobile-friendly, looks horrendous, and has been “in the works” for years. They don’t market-test anything, and instead go off of personal preference of the upper management. (If your customer doesn’t like something, it doesn’t matter if everyone at your company does.) They’re stuck in the past in every sense of the term.

4. They forcibly push their internal line of toys and collectibles (Bif Bang Pow) for employees to market/sell, but don’t do market-testing on the products before they make them and then hound employees as to why they haven’t “tried hard enough” to sell them.

5. I’ve said this a bit previously, but just to highlight how hostile this work environment is: There were multiple conflicts between my department and another department. Mediations didn’t work, it was all finger pointing, they would draft documents about everything we did wrong, call to scream at us on the phone, CC all upper management on emails complaining about us, try to get us fired… it was miserable. I would get so anxious before having to return to work on Monday that I’d get knots in my stomach and be unable to eat. I didn’t care about conflict or even losing my job, I was just miserable at having to deal with dozens of emails from people who would rather blame me for something they didn’t want to do themselves. If something went right, it was all because of them and their team was amazing; if something went wrong, it was my fault or my department’s fault and we were idiots.

6. The moral of the company employees is dismal.

*I left for a job with significantly less pay.

Advice to Management

Management has received comments and criticism from every person who has left or been let go from Entertainment Earth, but it falls on deaf ears. They won't change because they don't want to change - they think they're "unsinkable" because they've survived 20 years and the recession.

But their management style, the inability to motivate employees, the unwillingness to adapt, and the incessant micro-managing is what's tanking the company.

Feb 15, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Management is absolutely present and accountable for meeting expectations and goals, and managing staff such as yourself. If you felt that at any particular given time you were not being managed in a... More

"Picking up the slack"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

Cool products, fun environment, employee staff picks, movies and depending on how hard you work some get picked to go to comic con. You'll see the owners popping in and saying hello. You'll even see some of the supervisors and the manager helping at receiving and shipping stations when it gets busy, they'll joke around and will buy us food.

Cons

I worked here for a few years and was very dissapointed when the owners decided not to give me and other hard working employees in our warehouse a raise. Instead they gave people in the office raises and started hiring more office staff.

If upper management are not going to give us raises then why not give us more people? I remember having to pick up the slack for other employees who felt they needed to be coddled or were not being appreciated enough. All they did was whine about how they work hard but they were never there to begin with. They were always calling out and would get their feelings hurt when the ones who have been there were rewarded. I would come home exhausted but never complained because I figured that my work ethic will speak for itself. But they started laying people off and some of us decided to also leave. I remember sitting down with my manager and telling him how I felt, he told me that there were changes coming and we had to adapt all across the company but that he cared about how I felt and he would try to communicate my concerns to upper management. I believe that he did because he always allowed us to speak openly to him. Now that I've been hired by a better company, I know there is a life beyond EE and I wouldn't be surprised if things haven't changed. I'll be shocked if my manager is still working there this coming year because he actually cared and I'll be even more shocked if some of the supervisors haven't also left. I know there's many employees and former employees who have wanted to say this but its about time someone was brave enough to do so.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the one who slack around and are always calling out. They hurt the moral of those who actually care and work hard. Consider getting more people to help or for god sake give them a raise. Show the warehouse appreciation because the view we have is that the owners care more about the people in the offices then they do about the warehouse staff.

"Warehouse"

I have been working at Entertainment Earth full-time

Pros

I like the items we sell and some of the staff.

Cons

I don't understand why it's okay for the warehouse manager, two leads and a regular employee take a three hours break the day after Thanksgiving when we all havelectronics to take a regular break and they get to get away with it.

Advice to Management

Do something about this.

Jan 10, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

First and foremost, we completely agree that any employee who takes a three-hour break does not align with our company values. I would recommend you discuss the details directly with your manager to... More