Environment Massachusetts Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
  1. "Field Manager"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Environment Massachusetts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Definitely a great way to become a better communicator. Also a good experience worth the time and effort. I would recommend doing this for a summer in college. Especially with working on commission you can make some decent money.

Cons

The hours aren't great and working outside has its downfalls especially when the weather is bad.

Environment Massachusetts2017-02-01
  2. "Grueling Job, Decent Pay"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Environment Massachusetts full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was pretty good, $12.50 as a field manager and hour plus a commission on all donations you receive. I personally liked the hours as they were from 12pm to about 11pm, but others may not.

Cons

The job itself is fairly grueling, you are canvassing in the towns surrounding your office, and if you are assigned to a suburban area you're screwed because you are walking almost three times as much compared to urban areas. There's an insanely high employee turnover rate because you need to reach the minimum donation goal everyday for your first week to keep the job, and many people can't do this. The downside fo the...

Advice to Management

There's honestly not much that they can do better because of the tight margins, I would say don't fire people as much but it's only fair that if the employee isn't bringing in money the charity can't afford to pay them.

Environment Massachusetts2018-05-03

"Awful hiring system, cold hearted"

Former Employee - Canvasser

I worked at Environment Massachusetts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy interview, almost immediate hire

Cons

-misleading interview -necessity of quotas falsified -terrible management

Advice to Management

I was told the job would focus heavily on work like political lobbying, but it was mostly asking for donations. On the second day, my backpack containing my passport was stolen and when I called the office, they told me to "get over it and go back to work". When I didn't reach my $120 quota despite being told I had a 3 day grace period, they fired me. Then they asked me to return their shirt despite knowing my shirt was...

Environment Massachusetts2018-05-30

"pretty cool"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Amherst, MA

I worked at Environment Massachusetts for less than a year

Pros

learn people skills, develop thick skin

Cons

not great pay, not easy to get yeses

Environment Massachusetts2018-01-18

"Canvasser"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Boston, MA

I worked at Environment Massachusetts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet good people Always running into something new

Cons

Late hours - worked from 12 and wouldn't get home until 9 or 10 Not very supportive - staff may seem friendly but there is an extremely high turnover rate because if you miss your quota you are let go Can run into bad experiences while canvassing and knocking on people's homes at 8 o'clock at night. Not much room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Give beginning canvassers a little more time to become used to the system and the company.

Environment Massachusetts2017-06-23
    • "canvase"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Boston, MA

I worked at Environment Massachusetts for less than a year

Pros

you get paid and thats it. very easy to get. paid trainning

Cons

horrible job, lasted only 4 days. really exausting and stressful

Environment Massachusetts2017-04-10

"Sad management, but cool coworkers"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Environment Massachusetts part-time for less than a year

Pros

The job as a Canvasser is very dynamic, you never know what each day will bring you, and it's plenty of exercise. You gain skills talking to strangers on your feet, and tons of memories.

Cons

The management was so sad. They hated their lives. Work was depressing for them. They work as slaves and get paid nothing, and it's very bleak to see it. Also, there's the potential to get awful turf all the time, making it hard to get contributions. They deny that there is "better" or "worse" turf, and say that it's all the same. Yeah, right. It was also REALLY long days. And work IS life because of that. After a while,...

Advice to Management

Seek out good canvassers better and make sure the field managers give them good turf for a few days to see how it's working for them.

Environment Massachusetts2016-10-07
    • "Canvasser for Environment Mass"

I worked at Environment Massachusetts part-time

Pros

Canvassing was dynamic; every day was different. Met really cool people who worked at the office. Relaxed vibe. Lots of engagement.

Cons

Too much turnover. Some of the upper level management were not approachable, whereas others were. The administration seemed immature and had their own life problems that they'd bring into workplace, causing gossip and drama (could be exciting for some people). Lots of bad days being given bad turf.

Advice to Management

This is a high turnover job, understandably. If someone makes it for above average duration, give them the chance for some good turf to demonstrate their capabilities...otherwise, by continually giving bad turf, you are going to lose competent fundraisers.

Environment Massachusetts2016-03-02
    • "Not great"

I have been working at Environment Massachusetts full-time

Pros

Surrounded by young people and make enough to cover rent for the summer. and food.

Cons

Not a great money maker, involves heavy door to door sales, and frankly, most of the money "donated" never makes it to the actual cause.

Environment Massachusetts2015-11-10
    • "worst organization in the world"

I worked at Environment Massachusetts for less than a year

Pros

there are no pros to working for environment Massachusetts. I should have left but it's tough to get a job midway through the summer. worst experience of my life.

Cons

every bit of working for the fund is a downside. I had the worst summer of my entire life, I was scared while on turf, I cried, and they didn't care they just manipulate you to keep going to get money from your abuse.

Advice to Management

get a another job I am sorry you do this with your life and learn to manipulate people and to steal peoples money and then not win a campaign after you've lied to people's faces at the door to get their money. You cheat and screw over the canvassers by driving and taking the best houses.

Environment Massachusetts2015-07-03