Environmental Defense Fund Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 109 reviews

3.9
Environmental Defense Fund CEO Fred Krupp
Fred Krupp
Pros
  • "EDF is well resourced and laser focused on delivering results(in 28 reviews)

• "The 35-hour work week makes for a great work-life balance(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "EDF is top heavy with more at leadership position than other places(in 20 reviews)

• "May not lead directly to full time jobs at the host firm or EDF, but they can help you make connections(in 7 reviews)

1. "Great organization with brilliant staff"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with the most brilliant people in their respective fields.

Cons

Top heavy, terrible HR department

Environmental Defense Fund2019-04-25

Environmental Defense Fund Response

August 6, 2019Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and we are sorry that you have had a negative experience with our HR department. We are committed to continuous improvement in how we support our EDF family and we will use your feedback to ensure that we are consistently exceeding staff expectations.

"Depends which department"

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund

Pros

Beautiful offices, ability to work from home, amazing week long company retreat. Salary is good for non-profit.

Cons

Shared services departments are neglected and are rife with dirty politics, broken policies and certain people stepping on and destroying the reputations of others to get ahead due to lack of structured advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Create a system that clearly lays out how to get promotions within the organization. If numerous staff complain about a manager, don't keep them. EDF can afford to pay severance packages to destructive managers.

Environmental Defense Fund2019-07-15

"Passionate professionals"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredibly caring and passionate employees Very good benefits

Cons

Overall work/life is not balanced- everyone cares so much that work above and beyond normal business hours Limited pathways for professional growth

Advice to Management

Human Resources team struggles to enact the corporate values and the leadership team is unaware of how employees feel, even though we are relatively small.

Environmental Defense Fund2019-06-20

"A farce of environmental advocacy"

Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staffers are mostly well-intentioned; work largely focuses on macro-scale policy issues; the work environment was easy, despite the fact many staffers believe it to be a high-pressure workplace.

Cons

EDF is mostly play-acting at doing real environmental work. They view themselves as rainmakers, when, in reality, they're mostly just standing outside the halls of power shouting inanely. I worked on several efforts to challenge permits issued by USACE and state agencies with delegated EPA authority. Staff scurried around busily for weeks in prep for trial, thinking they were on the cusp of victory over the evil... agencies. After our counsel got crushed in court by the agency SMEs, they consoled themselves by reassuring us all that we were fighting nobly against evil polluters, even though the agency folks were at least as committed to environmental quality as anyone on our staff. EDF staff often loses in fights against government entities because they're blinded by their own arrogance. They think because they have a law degree or a bachelor's from Brown that the state is going to forfeit their position out of fear. In reality, we usually went to trial against SMEs who were at least as educated as our staff, and certainly more steeped in policy, given that they wrote it. And there was scant little effort to engage agency staff in discussion as people. I pushed for this, knowing that having some friendly contacts in government would have helped us immensely to understand policy and the soft spots in it. Moreover, I knew we needed to recruit some agency folks to come work on our side and bring their insider's knowledge with them. Nothing would have helped us more. As it was, management seemed content to lose case after case in the district and administrative law courts. What EDF amounted to, then, was a convoluted means of spending the donations of their wealthy benefactors with nothing substantive to show for it, a farce of environmental advocacy.

Advice to Management

Adopt a more pragmatic outlook; recruit agency staffers; work harder at influencing policy at the local level; stop leaning so heavily on the power of litigation; realize that EDF staff are not special just because they had a high undergrad GPA; get some real knowledge of the inner workings of critical agencies.

Environmental Defense Fund2019-06-30
  5. "No upward mobility for lower to middle management positions"

I have been working at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great mission and a CEO who is well respected everywhere - Great for work life balance with generous vacation and sick leave and 35 hr work weeks. - Really, really smart colleagues all over the country and world and an invigorating work atmosphere - a lot of conference and meeting opportunities for those who like to travel and network - Benefits are much better than anywhere else I have worked

Cons

- EDF is top heavy with more at leadership position than other places - Seems like people in higher positions get promoted more than those in lower and middle positions - Pay is ok for an NGO but big disparity from top to bottom

Environmental Defense Fund2019-05-02
  6. "Great organization with passionate people"

Current Employee - Associate Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Integrity and commitment to science and realistic policies that work. Great culture with passionate and devoted staff.

Cons

Sometimes a little too serious and rational.

Environmental Defense Fund2019-04-24

"The smartest team you'll ever work with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than a year

Pros

EDF is well resourced and laser focused on delivering results. My coworkers were some of the smartest and most dedicated people I've ever met. Their commitment to win-win solutions and science-based methods is really inspiring.

Cons

It can be difficult to see an actual career path there. In part, this is because people stay there for decades, which is really a compliment. At the same time, many people have to leave the organization for a while and return at a higher position.

Advice to Management

Diversity, equity, and inclusion need to take a more central role in hiring, outreach, and overall strategy.

Environmental Defense Fund2019-04-16
  8. "Great company with friendly culture"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for less than a year

Pros

good facilities, culture, and after-work opportunities

Cons

some disorganization, similar ideology among employees

Environmental Defense Fund2019-02-25
  9. "Extremely top heavy hierarchical organization"

Current Employee - New York Office in New York, NY

Pros

Great central location, newly renovated office space. Some genuine colleagues that care about the environment. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Very high turnover from the Executive team on down. Prominent nepotism, cliquish & uninviting work environment, lack opportunities for professional development within the org.

Environmental Defense Fund2019-02-27
  10. "Good experience"

Pros

Inspiring mission and dedicated colleagues

Cons

With organizational growth comes some growing pains

Environmental Defense Fund2019-02-10