Environmental Defense Fund "full time" Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Defense Fund Employee Reviews about "full time"

Updated Oct 31, 2018

4.2
Environmental Defense Fund President Fred Krupp
Fred Krupp
Pros
  • "EDF is well resourced and laser focused on delivering results(in 29 reviews)

• "The 35-hour work week makes for a great work-life balance(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "EDF is top heavy with more at leadership position than other places(in 20 reviews)

• "May not lead directly to full time jobs at the host firm or EDF, but they can help you make connections(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "full time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A dream internship"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Environmental Defense Fund

Pros

Wonderful work atmosphere, with everyone working towards a great cause You can tell they really care about the interns.

Cons

I wish they had more full-time positions available.

Environmental Defense Fund2017-07-29

"Great Place to Work If You're in the Right Role"

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome place to work. The office is big and has state of the art technology and equipment. The benefits are also very generous and rival those of big companies. The 35 hour work week and flexibility make this an awesome place to work, as most employers are much more rigid. If you're in the right role (read: program side) you'll be a valuable member of the team.

Cons

There's not a lot of room to grow for junior staff members. Also, be warned that EDF divides itself into two sides: the "program" side and the "operations" side. If you're on the program side (science, policy, etc.) you'll have a great time and will be a valued member of the team. If you're on the operations side (administrative, financial, etc.) you'll be doing the non-glamorous and non-interesting work. EDF doesn't let you do both, you're either on one side or the other. There is an older review that echoes this sentiment as well. If you're on the ops side, you'll be doing the work that no one else wants to do. Also, if you don't have a master's degree, it'll be harder to do the program work, even if you're qualified to do it. EDF wants people with grad degrees doing the interesting work. I had coworkers who did research and policy work as interns and were hired full time as program/senior assistants and ended up being glorified secretaries. If you're a program/senior assistant, coordinator or associate, you'll be doing a lot of grunt work and will probably not do cool interesting program work unless you get a masters degree.

Advice to Management

Give people without master's degrees opportunities to do interesting work. Invest in them. Stop treating assistants like glorified secretaries; we can offer EDF a lot if given the chance.

Environmental Defense Fund2018-10-31
  3. "Great Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund

Pros

Great network connections, training, and brand name in sustainability

Environmental Defense Fund2017-03-06

"Intern"

Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund for less than a year

Pros

I felt like part of the team at EDF. I at first was given simple tasks but then once I demonstrated my research and editing abilities, I was able to take on more complex projects. I got to know a decent amount of employees in other divisions, and really enjoyed the Brown Bag lunches which were led by employees in other EDF offices. Very cool office environment/design. I definitely learned a lot about my field and appreciated not having my time wasted.

Cons

Because a lot of the work my team was doing depended on a state's government, not a lot of progress was made due to unorganized state databases/websites. There doesn't seem to be any guarantee or preference for hiring interns from EDF for full-time positions.

Advice to Management

Make the office a reasonable temperature during the summer! I shouldn't have to feel cold while wearing a blazer and dress pants at work.

Environmental Defense Fund2016-03-30
  5. "Great graduate/MBA internship"

EDF Climate Corps Fellow in Chicago, IL

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund for less than a year

Pros

Excellent consulting experience to further strengthen a broad set of skills. Fellows have a lot of responsibility and opportunity to positively impact their company. Good way to switch careers into sustainability, and a few EDF fellows have gone to work full-time for their host. Well-organized and thoughtful matching process.

Cons

Matching decisions are made later in the year, although this also means you can have a good plan A back-up if you don't want to take any fall MBA internship offers. The training experience is a great way to meet other EDF fellows, although EDF continues to refine the process since it's hard to meet training needs for such a diverse group.

Advice to Management

Continue working on the training agenda and ways to strengthen the matching process to make the wait easier for candidates. Great program overall - I had a great experience.

Environmental Defense Fund2016-04-05
  6. "Great place to learn!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Environmental Defense Fund for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues, nice culture, nice place.

Cons

No training. Compensation depends on whether you work full time.

Environmental Defense Fund2014-10-07
  7. "Great internship experience in the Oceans Department"

Former Intern - Oceans Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund for less than a year

Pros

EDF works on some amazing projects that are relevant and truly have the potential to impact ocean management. I feel that the Oceans Department's goals are realistic but also large enough to make a difference. The people in the San Francisco office are passionate, creative, and supportive; it was a delightful work environment.

Cons

Difficult to obtain a full-time job in the organization.

Environmental Defense Fund2014-05-17
  8. "Great work environment with young, motivated staff."

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund for less than a year

Pros

Annual retreat for full-time employees, offices located in many big cities, strong advocacy in the cities where their offices are based.

Cons

Growing pains in their expanding projects can lead to staff members that are spread too thin.

Environmental Defense Fund2013-02-22

"Summer Internship - A great opportunity if you seek out your own challenges"

Research Intern (Summer) in Austin, TX

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund

Pros

The Austin office has experts from a variety of backgrounds, including biology, engineering, economics, business, geology, and law. The office is very laid back (especially in the summer, I'm told) and work hours are flexible. Once you demonstrate that you are a serious employee, there are great opportunities to take on a prominent role in research. I was able to attend City Council hearings and meetings with other environmental groups, and my research was regularly used on official EDF business. Best of all, nearly everyone is friendly and engaging. I developed several valuable connections that have lead to promising job prospects--and not just in Austin. Highly recommended (especially at $12/hour)!

Cons

As a motivated and passionate person, the office was sometimes too laid back for my tastes. I found myself doing more work than some of my "bosses" on some occasions--not because I was told to work harder, but because they weren't as dedicated to producing results as myself. Also, make sure you actively try to seek out work that interests you. When I first arrived, they would have been more than happy to give me somewhat brainless tasks to be completed in my little office for the duration of the summer. But because I pushed and nagged until I got work that was engaging, they were more than happy to comply. I got the sense that the full-time employees didn't trust interns to be effective and dedicated, but once I proved to them that I was capable, they shoveled over a great deal of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Work your interns harder. I know many students sign up for an easy summer internship, but there is no reason you should humor them. EDF is working on a lot of important issues, and there are many engaging experts at the Austin office, so there is no excuse for interns not to spend the summer learning and working hard. Everyone benefits.

Environmental Defense Fund2010-01-02
  10. "Fun place to work, challenging environment."

CCPS Fellow

I worked at Environmental Defense Fund

Pros

Great place to work. If you are concern about personal development, I would reccomend EDF. I learnt alot skill from my internship that I will be using in my full time job.

Cons

Communication was an issue most of the time.

Advice to Management

Great program, keep it up.

Environmental Defense Fund2011-10-30