Environmental Defense 55 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fred Krupp

Pros
  • Good work-life balance for the most part: Most people work 9 to a little past 5, others are working evenings and weekends but this depends on the team (in 9 reviews)

• You can definitely learn a lot on the job and get great real world experience (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation depends on whether you work full time (in 4 reviews)

• Additionally, there is not a lot of room for upward mobility because they hire many experiences professionals as upper-management (in 4 reviews)

1. "Mid-level Director"

I have been working at Environmental Defense full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Very professional staff working on and effecting change on a wide range of environmental issues. I've worked at several environmental nonprofits in the DC area and EDF is by far the best one I've worked for.

Cons

No major cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

since EDF is such a large organization, one's work experience (like anywhere) will depend largely on the management style of your direct manager. Some managers are much better than others. They are all smart and effective on the issues, but some could use some additional training in management.

2. "Smart people with a disciplined approach. Steady but little upward mobility."

Former Employee - Communications Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Communications Director in New York, NY

I worked at Environmental Defense (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people with a disciplined approach. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Little upward mobility. Poor management and mentoring. You can come in and stay at the level you started at but very difficult to advance.

Advice to Management

Take an active interest in training your managers to be great managers and mentors. take an active interest in career development and professional growth for your staff.

3. "Programs"

Pros

EDF does a great job of bipartisan and engaging with the people, owners, companies who is affected by an issue. Great benefits.

Cons

No management or leadership training and it is needed.

5. "Wish it had been better/"

Pros

Committed staff who want to do good work to protect and preserve the environment.

Cons

Management was a mess. Always restructuring and never seeming to get it right.

"Program Associate"

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly kind, laid back group of people, excellent to work with, friendly and comfortable office environment with a good sense of humor. The company offers a lot of little perks, good benefits, and when you travel, the company puts you up at some of the nicest hotels. The organization is effective at what it does. Overall, I enjoyed working there.

Cons

At the organizational level, program staff are treated as individuals while support staff are treated as anonymous and expendable, which I think makes it hard for the organization to retain talented staff at the lower rungs and train them up. Middle and upper operations is dysfunctional and over paid. I'd say that EDF is a GREAT place to work if you are program staff, a GREAT place to work if you are early-career support staff and have lower expectations, but frustrating if you are well-educated in a support position and want to see your education paying off.

Advice to Management

Narrow the wage gap between underpaid employees at the bottom and overpaid employees at the top. Invest in your support staff.

7. "Climate Corps"

Pros

Great program. Learn to do energy efficiency for private companies.

Cons

Not lots of career opportunities after the fellowship

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Casual working environment, great internship program

Cons

Everyone is too busy with their work and not very accessible.

9. "Great company"

Pros

Great company that gave detailed training.

Cons

None that I came across.

"Not much bad to say"

Pros

EDF has provided ample career advancement, and given me the opportunity to really choose what I wanted to work on and explore what intersts me most. There's excellent comraderie amongst employees, and a strong sense of purpose.

Cons

The organization has a strong consensus culture, which can make it difficult to finalize decisions on the fly. To be fair, management is working to solve the problem.

Advice to Management

I don't think there are enough management opportunities given to lower staff. Most people report to Directors or above, meaning lower level employees often don't get the day to day attention needed (because their bosses are extremely busy), and mid-level management isn't getting enough experience managing lower level employees.

11. "Great Internship"

Pros

I had a good time working at EDF, the staff and other interns were friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

I only wish I got a little more practical writing experience instead of only doing research