Environmental Defense Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC

4.5
Fred Krupp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance for the most part: Most people work 9 to a little past 5, others are working evenings and weekends but this depends on the team (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment is enjoyable and relax (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation depends on whether you work full time (in 5 reviews)

• There is very little buy in from upper management and Directors for new ideas (in 5 reviews)

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense (Less than a year)

Pros

I felt like part of the team at EDF. I at first was given simple tasks but then once I demonstrated my research and editing abilities, I was able to take on more complex projects. I got to know a decent amount of employees in other divisions, and really enjoyed the Brown Bag lunches which were led by employees in other EDF offices. Very cool office environment/design. I definitely learned a lot about my field and appreciated not having my time wasted.

Cons

Because a lot of the work my team was doing depended on a state's government, not a lot of progress was made due to unorganized state databases/websites. There doesn't seem to be any guarantee or preference for hiring interns from EDF for full-time positions.

Advice to Management

Make the office a reasonable temperature during the summer! I shouldn't have to feel cold while wearing a blazer and dress pants at work.

"Mostly great, but retention is not a priority"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Effective organization with team spirit, respected in its field

Cons

They don't do much to retain you in terms of training for what might be next for you or finding a place for you in the organization if your role or program ends. Expect to be layered.

Advice to Management

Before you let people walk out the door, talk to them about how they could still contribute to the organization. You let lots of talent get away.

3. "It is a place full of potential and very smart people - but lacks institutional ambition & too many managers in the way"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of resources for domestic work; Great team of experts; good location and office environment;

Cons

unequal pay for interns; too many program managers that stand in the way; few chances for promotion; poor communication of future direction from NY HQ

Advice to Management

The org. needs more young people to move the org. into the future. - promote from within and hire your interns (and pay them to show them to indicate value)

"Disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EDF has very smart people who obviously care about making a positive difference. EDF also provides an excellent benefits package.

Cons

EDF is an extremely liberal organization staffed by people who think they are moderates. There is no diversity of thought from management who almost go out of their way to hire far left staffers. At EDF diversity only means skin color. EDF would be wise to follow Pew's model especially since so much of the money they raise comes from Republican donors. And this is why management puts on a bipartisan facade when meeting with its board and donors.

The few conservatives on staff either hide their views or quickly learn that their input and analysis will be completely ignored and dismissed if it dares contradict some sacred liberal belief. Many of the goals at EDF are noble but management is so partisan and protective of Democratic interests that they will sacrifice their own agenda if it dares to upset other liberal NGOs or any Democratic politician in DC. For example, EDFs scientists determined fracking is safe and does not harm the water table yet their official statements were much less supportive so as not to upset the left. During cap and trade no one at EDF ever mentioned or discussed climategate because management primarily gets their news from MSNBC so they put their blinders on and pretended the scandal didn't exist. Then they were flabbergasted when climategate led to the death of their cap and trade bill. Most sadly, EDF management caved go the fascist voices on staff who refused to attend their annual retreat because it was being held at a beautiful hotel complex with a pro-American theme where Pat Robertson had a small stake in ownership.

Lastly, no one advances up the chain unless their ideology comports with managements almost like a religious litmus test.

Advice to Management

Diversity means thought not how much melanin one has in their skin. Start hiring a diverse group of people if you want to stay relevant.

"Great mission, terrible managers"

I worked at Environmental Defense full-time

Pros

Very smart, passionate people working on a great cause. They are thoughtful and open to new ideas.

Cons

I was not impressed by the managers here. They tend to be well-respected in their fields, but were not ready to manage employees.

Advice to Management

Before giving an expert people to manage, please consider training them and offering transparent feedback systems.

6. "Great place to intern!"

Former Intern - Legal Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Legal Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Defense as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people, easy going atmosphere, many opportunities to learn about many different areas of environmental protection and preservation, incredibly knowledgeable staff, nice area, all day free water and coffee, very flexible schedule.

Cons

Tasks for interns should be more well planned. I sometimes felt like my supervisors we're struggling to find meaningful work for me to do. However, this may not be the same for all supervisors. Computers are ancient, don't have much space, and can be very slow.

"Fun, intellectual, energetic place to work where everyone is passionate about what they do."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

The Fun Committee, The annual all staff retreat, Working with some of the smartest and most hard working people around (definitely no slackers), Being part of a great machine working towards an awesome social cause, Being part of an ethical company that values employees, And the fact that EDF is growing provides great opportunity for creating your own career path. Also EDF alumni go off to do some great things.

Cons

With rapid growth some folks are let into the org and they don't necessarily have a passion for the environment but rather a passing interest. This sort of dilutes the passion-factor a little. Also some folks are promoted to manager status when they're not fully equipped to manage people.

Advice to Management

You'll have less turn over from the younger generation if there were more set career paths that allow people to advance professionally in a systematic way.