Environmental Law and Policy Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Law and Policy Center Reviews

Updated Sep 29, 2019

4.2
Environmental Law and Policy Center CEO Howard A. Learner (no image)
Howard A. Learner
  1. "Great summer internship, you won't be bored"

Former Intern - Policy Intern

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center for less than a year

Pros

Frequent assignments to keep busy but not overly stressful Adds on extra work for interns during the summer, so you won't be running for coffee or looking for work Fantastic staff, lovely people who are happy to offer advice and guidance

Cons

Internship pay is low, aim to have another job or an outside scholarship

Environmental Law and Policy Center2019-09-29
  2. "Excellent work environment to gain experience in environmental fields"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center for less than a year

Pros

- Almost all staff members were welcoming, approachable, and valued the contributions of the interns - Although we had to do some repetitive internship tasks, we also got to work on projects related to our specific fields and interests - Gained a broad overview of the different environmental issues the ELPC work on and the different angles of approaching environmental advocacy - The internship included networking... and professional growth events

Cons

- Day-to-day tasks could become slightly repetitive

Environmental Law and Policy Center2019-09-24
  3. "Policy Intern Experience"

Former Intern - Policy Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center for less than a year

Pros

- Good exposure to a wide variety of fields and projects in environmental policy sector - Great team - Allows you to work on multiple projects and feel like a real contributor

Cons

- I had a pretty positive experience, however the pay for interns is really quite sad.

Environmental Law and Policy Center2018-11-28

"Great Place to Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, I found that you are going to dive into many different topics (all environmentally-related). This will allow you to learn about a variety of projects they are working on, which is what you want as an intern. I learned a lot about state governance and politics, which was great because of how important local politics is. The people who work there are always willing to help and talk about whatever... issue they are working on, which allows you to learn a lot. Most of the people who work there are very friendly making coming into work an enjoyable experience. The kitchen always had snacks that anyone can take - great for college students and interns who aren't paid.

Cons

Some of the work will seem pretty menial - spent a lot of time just calling people to ask the same questions and add to an ever-growing excel sheet. However, I did not mind this too much because I was always comforted by knowing that the information I gathered would be put to good use. May sometimes feel like what you are doing doesn't matter. You rarely see the positives of what your work will do. Though, I had... fantastic supervisors who gave a lot of positive reinforcement and helped to motivate me to keep working.

Environmental Law and Policy Center2018-04-05
  5. "Great place, great people, critical issues"

I have been working at Environmental Law and Policy Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

ELPC's staff members are almost without exception brilliant, incredibly dedicated to their work, and compassionate on a personal level.

Cons

Improving public policy is never easy, and the Trump Administration is doing everything they can to thwart our work.

Environmental Law and Policy Center2017-12-26

"Energy Intern"

I have been working at Environmental Law and Policy Center

Pros

Nice people, helpful and supportive environment.

Cons

So far there have not been any cons to this job! Perhaps the office could use a few upgrades but not so important...

Environmental Law and Policy Center2016-12-05

"Prefer not to say"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brilliant, dedicated people work there. Nice office. Good benefits. Interesting work.

Cons

Executive Director is the one and only con, and he's a very big con. He attempts to manage every aspect of every one of the ~40 employees work, which simply doesn't work logistically. The sheer quantity of people and projects makes it impossible for him to do anything but breeze in and out, leaving no room to properly understand complex matters before he inevitably dictates actions with zero room for discussion.... He does not welcome discussion of any kind, seeing any question or input as a threat to his absolute authority. Any idea that's not his is immediately rejected. Anyone who pushes back is mocked. He creates a hostile work environment for women, young people, people of color, and people without law degrees by belittling their opinions, mocking their ideas, ignoring their presence, forgetting their names, and denying them access to opportunities. He refuses to acknowledge an incredibly high turn-over rate and a unforgivable lack of diversity.

Advice to Management

The Board needs to step in and address the long-standing issues that the executive director causes.

Environmental Law and Policy Center2016-11-21
  8. "Legal Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center

Pros

The atmosphere at the ELPC made it a fantastic place for an internship. It was relatively relaxed while also providing me with plenty of work. It also introduced me to the broad range of environmental topics.

Cons

The internship "types" (i.e. legal, marketing, etc.) were fairly compartmentalized. It would have been nice to learn more about what the other practices work on.

Environmental Law and Policy Center2016-11-07

"Associate Attorney"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Chicago, IL

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well-respected attorneys. Working as an attorney at ELPC is a great door-opener.

Cons

Somewhat organized. No neutral body (human resources) for complaints or grievances.

Advice to Management

Provide more freedom to your attorneys and staff and believe that they are competent and intelligent enough to do their jobs well.

Environmental Law and Policy Center2016-01-06
  10. "Great internship!"

I worked at Environmental Law and Policy Center

Pros

Interns get to do interesting work and work directly with some of the higher up staff. Everyone is very smart and friendly. The office itself is also great.

Cons

Interns are not paid, which can be a problem for many. However, the experience is valuable. Otherwise, none really.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Environmental Law and Policy Center2015-07-12