Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance here is what you demand - you could work as much as you wanted unless you learn to say no (in 34 reviews)

• Lots of over-time expected with little to no recognition or reward (in 14 reviews)

1. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the work that I get to do and the people that I work with.

Cons

The consulting environment is not for everyone.

2. "Fantastic Company"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. My first job straight out of school and its been 15 yrs and I am still with the company and that says a lot about what I think about ERM. Feels like one close-knit family after some time. We have some serious talents at ERM and I genuinely feel our company's top leadership care for our people.

Cons

Recent employee turnover is slightly worrisome.

Advice to Management

Perhaps look into how we can create more opps to make our workplace more fun.

"Great on paper - but where is company going?"

Current Employee - Scientist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Malvern, PA

Pros

The company feels like a family after a while and I've been become close with many of my colleagues. The turnover has been high (>25%) in the last few years but talented, dedicated, smart, motivated and helpful people remain (scientists and non-scientists). There is an immense and ever-growing, fairly-organized H&S culture with mandatory trainings, yearly updated trainings, online optional and required modules, and an internal system for alerting the co. of any and all H&S concerns, from ergonomics to car accidents and gas line breaks during sub surface clearance. There is opportunity to be rewarded for your hard work in bonuses, raises, reimbursement for successful completion of continuing education courses, etc. They will fly you across the country for a training and pay for your hotel and flight and food. There a caring people in your local and regional management that listen to you and care what you have to say. The company has a concentration on bringing sustainable solutions to clients world wide. You are connected online with anyone in the company at any time, even the CEO, so talking to people is really easy and fluid.

Cons

The higher you get in the company, the smaller your raise and bonus gets and sometimes it's almost nothing. International and national management seems so unbearably aloof you wonder if they even know your office exists. The training programs for H&S look great on paper and do help you, but the company has no problem sending you to another state or country with either the wrong or inadequate training, including to parts of the world that are dangerous. The internal H&S system is getting better but is often tedious, overdone, misplaced, redundant or fills a void that doesn't need filling. There is almost no middle managers to guide you and they're overworked. The company feels very top heavy and younger people are blamed for not having work when it's the responsibility of partners and proj managers to get the work in the first place. High turnover overall (<25%). We propose to do more for sustainability but it feels forced, fake and overlooked - I don't see much application of anything remotely sustainable, especially as our biggest projects are in oil and gas and power. Many people work from home and the office lacks any enthusiasm, zest for work or connection. Not much brings people together and there is a hush hush murmur of where the hell the company is going on its new strategy. Company relies too heavily on big clients and rarely fetches new work when it could keep people busy. Local partners would rather staff their projects with their own people if not appropriate for the job so many miss out if they are trained for what the work.

Advice to Management

Wake up - people are iffy about this whole company. A few years ago we were at the top of the game but now we have suffered little growth, a ton of layoffs of amazing people, put everyone on edge, and concentrates so much on "billability" to a client and barely anything on the people that work here. Even with hard work, people aren't rewarded properly. Stop working your young people to death. They WILL leave, further perpetuating the middle manager void. Too top heavy. Have more fun, more incentives. It feels empty here.

4. "Employee"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clients, people, and projects. I love the work environment, flexibility, and challenging projects our client have to offer. I used to work at a larger firm and this feels more like home to me. Strong performance, exceptional talent, and fiscal management have made ERM successful.

Cons

ERM is risk adverse, which is not a bad thing, but can limit some of the challenging projects we are willing to accept.

Advice to Management

Always put clients and people first. Changes in strategy and culture take time so be sure to expect that and stay focused on our long term vision.

5. "Very Happy"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Exton, PA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work full-time

Cons

Coffee was bad on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Buy better coffee.

"Great co-workers, but poor boundaries and confusing expectations"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Very smart, talented individuals working at this company. Plenty of opportunity for work, primarily in the Oil and Gas sectors. Average benefits and pay.

Cons

Very little opportunity for personal development or growth. High billable goals result in lower level employees getting left behind with respect to knowledge in their chosen career fields. Very demanding projects result in high burnout rate, with very little control over workloads. Quick turn-around on client tasks results in many mistakes being made. I consistently felt set up for failure.

Advice to Management

Invest in your technical staff who have much to be gained from lower billable goals and the opportunity to explore, learn, and research within their career field. Benefits are described as "meeting the industry standard for the region you live in". Why not strive to provide more than the bare minimum? Many employees feel slighted by the lack of paternity leave, dependable bonuses, and very little paid time off. The industry is demanding and fast paced.....show your employees that you respect and value their contributions.

7. "It's been a huge growth and learning experience that never gets boring!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and challenging work, with pretty good benefits. They have a fun caring atmosphere that makes it easy to go to work most days.

Cons

The pay sucks bad, as they do not meet or come close to other companies salaries, because of their structure for most employees. Such as young/new people or inexperienced in some areas.

Advice to Management

They need to work on better competitive salaries and recognize when employees were not given raises for promoting and work on making that up.

8. "Consultant with 3 years experience"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Houston, TX

Pros

People are willing to work with your schedule. You don't feel pressured to say yes to every task. Pay is OK.

Cons

Expect you to work more than 40 hours. Even if you work 40 in the field over 3 days, you are still expected to come in to the office to put in eight hours on Thursday and Friday.

Bonuses are terrible.

Prepare to be a ground pounder for most of the spring and summer unless you're a project manager.

9. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Sector Leader
    Current Employee - Sector Leader

Pros

I love ERM's transparency, values and governance. Our leadership walks the talk and we are building a world class team of professionals who are passionate about delivering real business value to our clients. The team is very selective in hiring and only the best and most passionate get offered positions. It is not enough to merely have a strong technical proficiency. We seek out professionals who are willing to put our client's business needs foremost in our thinking. It effects everything from our strategy and technical methods to all aspects of our services. We actively look for least cost solutions to our clients regulatory challenges and try to take on a true fiduciary approach to ensure environmental liabilities are managed to successful closure and completion.

Cons

We have at times been fairly conservative and risk averse. This has at times impeded our ability to adapt to changing market needs. This said, we have a strong company culture and governance that appropriately minimizes our risk profile. We are evolving our risk aversion to ensure that we remain nimble and adapt quickly to evolving business needs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the openness and keep living the values.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Professional Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional Support in New York, NY

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility with work schedules. Working from home is great.

Cons

This company does not, I repeat, does NOT care about its employees. They will not reward you for hard work, even when the quality of your work is well-received.

Advice to Management

Try harder. You are so SO out of touch. It's terrible.