Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor work life balance and labour intensive" (in 39 reviews)

• "Lots of over-time expected with little to no recognition or reward" (in 14 reviews)

"Senior Marketing Assistant"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Assistant in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Assistant in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company provides healthy challenges, room for growth and recognizes hard work. I have never worked for a company that truly supports their workers and cares about life/work balance.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge staff, provide support when needed and recognize those who support the goals of the business.

2. "Client Account Leader"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

ERM is full of fantastic people, great clients, and fascinating projects across the globe--great place to build a career.

Cons

There are high expectations for performance, which is a positive for the company and is driving growth, but also means it takes hard work and persistence to be successful here.

3. "ERM"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

* Lots of interesting work

Cons

* A lot of turnover
    * Its expected you work overtime without pay
    * Annual bonus in minimal
    * Requirements for a promotion changes on a whim yearly.

"This is consulting"

Current Employee - Scientist in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Scientist in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is pure environmental consulting at a large company. You have to meet your metrics: billability, sales, net revenue managed, etc. If you are meet your goals and you deliver quality project work on time, you will excel here and largely be left alone to find your own destiny.

Do you want work life balance? That's up to you. Do you want to work hard and move up the corporate ladder? It is difficult, but opportunities abound.

No one is going to hold your hand, say how special you are, pat your little bottom and say "good job!". Ain't that type of place. Do you need to work long hours sometimes to deliver a project on time? Yup. Can it be difficult to deal with some managers? Of course. Is corporate red tape annoying and slow? Yes, there's 5000+ people in the company. It's to be expected.

If you don't like environmental consulting, don't blame ERM. That's the nature of the animal. If you enjoy its fast-paced, always changing, unpredictable nature, then this may be the place for you.

Safety culture is second to none, although it sometimes seems to border on the insane. Do I need to write a JHA to tie my shoes? How many partners must sign off to complete a boring 9 feet from a lawn sprinkler line?

Cons

Stressful. As much as they try, there is little connection between the higher up corporate leaders and those of us in the trenches. H&S culture is great, but can be over-the-top.

Advice to Management

Upper management seems to have little regard, or maybe an unrealistic or sophomoric conception of the actual realities involved in selling work, engaging staff, managing projects, and maintaining technical excellence. There is a palpable gap...

"Consultant Level 2"

Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse project opportunities as you will learn a great deal, good on your resume and great people within the junior level to work with (they make it worth the while)................ that's about it.

Cons

Too many
    1) Not veteran friendly - unpaid military leave (you will have to use your PTO to get paid while you are on orders)
    2) Promotion from within NEVER happens, irrespective of your achievements.
    3) Poor pay - paid ONLY 40 hrs worth when on the average you work between 50 - 60 hrs a week. I have been on projects where I was worked and was billing 72 hrs/week to the client.
    4) You are just a number, you don't count. You can get laid off or frustrated to leave
    5) Most importantly, it may not be worth the gamble for people of color (my opinion based on my experience though). You will struggle to get the right Consultant Level deserving of your skills, experience, qualifications. I came in as a CL2 with over 8 yrs of different industry experience 4 years ago, but a Caucasian colleague with equal experience (ONLY from manufacturing industry, MSc degree - I came in with 2 MSc degrees, JUST one recent professional certification - I have 2 professional certifications obtained 3 years ago) was given the position of a Principal consultant (CL4) while I remained a CL2 even after over 4 years.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, invest and encourage your best, recruit internally......... and review military leave policy.

"No Opportunities for Support Staff - Especially HR Professionals"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at ERM are amazing, bright and passionate! As an HR Professional it was a joy to support them.

Having insight into the opinions and attitudes of Leadership, I know for certain that the organizations (overall) cares its employees.

The focus on Health and Safety is wonderful.

The global aspect of the company is great - and makes you feel like you're part of something bigger and better.

The ERM Foundation is something every employee should be extremely proud of. It does amazing work around the world!

Recent Grads will find it easy to build their resumes with the variety of different project opportunities - as long as they are careful they don't get pigeon hole'd into one thing.

The company's strategy for growth is smart and sound. Those consultants who are self-sufficient and career driven, and who strive in a lean and fast paced environment will will be very successful here.

Cons

The company's business model (Partnership + Private Equity) is the root of most challenges. Maintaining a high margin is critical for the 'next deal' - which is how retiring Partners are able to get their money out of the firm. The pursuit of an industry leading profit margin makes the company lean and financially secure, but dictates high utilization goals and limited investment in resources, and meaningful employee development. It also creates an environment where little value is placed on the contributions of Support Staff (Administration, Finance, HR). At a personal level, with the people I supported day to day, I knew I was valued - but that didn't translate into opportunities for professional growth and advancement. Sadly, the North America Leadership Team, including the NA HR Director, does not see this as a priority - and frontline staff suffer because they lack the benefit of having high quality professional support.

Not all supervisors are equal at ERM. Some have fantastic leadership skills, and others lack basic communication skills. Even within the HR department there is one local Director who has been unable to retain an employee since starting with the company. The organization is aware of this, and business unit leaders are working to address the problem. Unfortunately, everyone is stretched so thin, even the good leaders are challenged with having enough time for their employees.

Although I recommend ERM to entry level Scientists, Geologists, and Engineers looking to start their careers, I caution Support Professionals to think twice about joining the company. If you are happy at your current career level, and are looking for a great group of people to support - this could be the place for you. If you want to grow your career - keep looking.

7. "Excellent People and Interesting Projects"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Malvern, PA

Pros

Billability goal is high but there are plenty of projects so it is not very difficult to meet the goal. The budget for each project is generally sufficient so that some time can be set aside for develop automation through programming, which saves time for future projects.

Cons

Days of vacations and sick leaves are about or below average.

"Could be better"

Pros

-You get to work with high-performing and smart coworkers
    -variety of projects and expertise between different technical groups
    -flexibility of location/hours
    -Project opportunities with interesting & well-known clients

Cons

-A lot of the staff with valuable technical expertise have left ERM. There seems to be a bigger focus on selling work that brings ERM a lot of billable hours. But the project work is often mundane & tedious compliance tasks that require very little technical skill from junior staff
    -high turnover of junior staff for multiple reasons - below industry salaries, lack of intellectually stimulating work, burn-out from long hours w/little payoff
    -project managers are often too busy doing the work rather than delegating and mentoring junior staff to enable them to make meaningful contributions
    -lack of technical sharing and mentorship. People are too busy worrying about billability rather than devoting time to non-billable areas like career development and technical sharing/training
    -opportunity for promotions and internal career growth can be limited and slow

Advice to Management

-Focus on the rentenion issue rather than just desperately hiring to backfill positions
    -Reward and acknowledge staff for their contributions to clients and ERM

"Staff Geologist"

Current Employee - Staff Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist in Houston, TX

Pros

Flexibility of working from home
    Good health insurance
    Good location

Cons

Slow career growth
    Low pay and pay inequality between genders
    Large emphasis on high billability without reward (no overtime pay, no comp time)
    Management treats lower level staff like field techs
    High employee turnover
    Company has strong emphasis on safety but in reality project managers just want the job done and don't care what kind of positions they put you in

"Great people, dull work."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

* The company culture, while far from dynamic, is really kind, hardworking and accepting. The people who work here are awesome. I've worked out of Houston, Boston, Denver and New Orleans offices and have yet to come across anybody that isn't genuine, welcoming and collaborative.

* They have a nice policy where you can work from home or other offices without burning up vacation time.

* You get to work on teams with people across the country and world via skype meetings.

* If you make the effort, you actually have a good deal of control over what projects you take on, even as an entry-level engineer.

Cons

* I personally found the work incredibly dull. 99% of what the Air Quality and Climate Change team does is permitting. If you like doing your taxes, this job might be for you because reading and applying regulation/filing permits is a lot like that. But if you don't like doing your taxes, get a different job.

* You don't learn real engineering design skills. You learn permitting, project management and lots and lots of data analysis.

* Almost everybody works way more than 40 hour weeks

* You will be stressed out because as an entry level employee you are MANDATED to spend at least 95% of your time doing billable work for clients. Any less and your personal performance metrics will suffer. If you're having a slow day, prepare to stay late and work through dinner.

* Don't work here if you want to do sustainability work. ERM greenwashes their website A LOT. If you work here, you'll be working on behalf of the oil and gas industry. Which is fine, just don't come in expecting to make the world a more eco-friendly place. What you'll be doing is whatever industry pays ERM to do, which is almost always just permitting or due diligence work. It's almost never actual strategic consulting work.

* Atmosphere of complacency with the tedium that life is at ERM. Most people are happy with their jobs here, which is confusing to me because all we do is stare at our screens and fill out permits for 9 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Get the company more involved in policy and government work. Many are drawn to this job because they want to do sustainability work. Almost all those people (like me) end up leaving. There are many markets for this. ERM should enter them.

Also, provide more learning and enrichment opportunities for new employees. Not online videos. Groups, committees, organizations.