Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance here is what you demand - you could work as much as you wanted unless you learn to say no (in 35 reviews)

• Lots of over-time expected with little to no recognition or reward (in 14 reviews)

"ERM NOLA"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Exposed to variety of different projects
    Travel

Cons

Non-competitive salary
    Little opportunity for growth/development
    Disconnect between middle management and staff

"Paper Dog"

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

The pay is ok. Most of your co-workers are friendly and easy to for with.

Cons

Top management NEVER commend's employees for jobs are well done.

Advice to Management

Kind words can improve morale.

"International company with local feel"

Former Employee - Program Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Program Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great reach throughout the world. The company is looking for people to take their network into Erm and build their own business. Plenty of office and people to support that mission. Very talented staff in the offices. The company provides a very professional venue to advance.

Cons

You will have to build your business on your own. Their is not a lot of collaboration with Senior people, but there is support for project work. The company demands high profitability and rates may be difficult to justify with clients.

Advice to Management

Find a way to invest in staff development. Look for opportunities to develop career paths with new hires and middle level staff. Find ways to drive collaboration across offices, and within offices across partners. Share the success down.

"Great co-workers, but poor boundaries and confusing expectations"

Current Employee - Project Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Project Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart, talented individuals working at this company. Plenty of opportunity for work, primarily in the Oil and Gas sectors. Average benefits and pay.

Cons

Very little opportunity for personal development or growth. High billable goals result in lower level employees getting left behind with respect to knowledge in their chosen career fields. Very demanding projects result in high burnout rate, with very little control over workloads. Quick turn-around on client tasks results in many mistakes being made. I consistently felt set up for failure.

Advice to Management

Invest in your technical staff who have much to be gained from lower billable goals and the opportunity to explore, learn, and research within their career field. Benefits are described as "meeting the industry standard for the region you live in". Why not strive to provide more than the bare minimum? Many employees feel slighted by the lack of paternity leave, dependable bonuses, and very little paid time off. The industry is demanding and fast paced.....show your employees that you respect and value their contributions.

"Staff Engineer"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The health insurance benefits are pretty good as compared to other companies. Flexible work schedule allows for you to work from home when needed.

Cons

Low compensation as compared to the industry average. Minimum vacation time; lack of recognition and career development. Promotions don't occur often.

"Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Nice people, nice office, good travel benefits

Cons

terrible onboarding, managers are over tasked with no clear direction

Advice to Management

teach your people properly

"Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

Interesting projects, high profile clients, variety in project types and opportunities

Cons

ERM is a big company that is focused on profit and the bottom line which I can definitely appreciate- ERM is just like any other capitalistic company trying to make it in a competitive environment. In a way, I am impressed by their unapologetic willingness to squeeze billable hours out of their employees. I am even impressed by the unemotional “rank and fire” system ERM employs to cull their worst performers and employees whose billability is lacking. It’s all fun and games and gleeful smugness until your client calls and says that the project you are on is postponed indefinitely and you have to wonder if your head is next on the chopping block. It definitely promotes a spirit of competition internally which leads to high performance as well as work-hording. Be aware- pay is below market value for engineering firms and overtime is expected. Don’t be miss-lead into thinking that the pay is competitive by hearing about the prospect of a bonus. The company is global which means that different sectors and business units can have vastly different workloads and profitability- raises and bonuses take into account how the company and business units are doing as a whole, and aren’t solely based on individual performance. You will be exposed to a multitude of clients and project types which makes it a good stepping stone to gain experience. When it comes down to it, I would respect ERM a lot more if they would just own who they are- a large, impersonal company focused on making a profit. This is not a family. This company does not care about you personally- you are a replaceable pawn. If I were to do the interview over again, I would ask about turnover rate and take the number at face value- it speaks volumes. If you have any other job option, take it.

Advice to Management

Pay is below market value for engineering firms. Until this is addressed people will continue to leave as soon as another opportunity presents itself because ERM has very little to offer in the way of company culture. Internal online site is a mess.

"Consultant"

Pros

Good benefits and the pay is good.

Cons

Works the drive out of people. Constant pressures from upper management puts stress on all levels of corporate ladder. Long hours. If you show that you can work with what you have, they will add more pressure because nothing is good enough.

Advice to Management

ERM tries to come up with the new best strategy, but that strategy will never work if your employees aren't happy. Upper management needs to work on a strategy to keep employees excited and not burnt out and used. Maybe then they'd reach sales goals! Employees will thrive when they are given opportunities to grow and feel valued. Also, don't just send out a PowerPoint about stress and management and exhaustion... If you even have to do that, then you need to fix the problem which is overworking employees in a lean environment.

"Too Good to be true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Pros

When I came on board it seemed like I had the perfect job-too perfect. A raise after only a few months. ERM has benefits like none other. I couldn't have been happier.

Cons

They are very cliquish...Suddenly after several months of great work, something set my manager off, that they felt I was no longer qualified to do my job (I didn't fit in). Requesting ridiculous tasks from me. I was then shunned from my team, even discriminated against, riding my time out. They intended to let me go regardless of what I did. My last 30 days there were sickening. I don't think that upper management even knew how I was being treated, makes me wonder how many others are like that.

Advice to Management

Be cautious of some of your team managers, they may be pulling the wool over your eyes, not knowing how some of your employees are treated, more terminations like this and your great place to work will slowly be pulled down.

"Project Geologist"

Pros

Interesting projects after you have established yourself and some really great, smart people at the company. Work life balance can be good if you set boundaries. Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

The compensation and bonus structure are poor and geared towards rewarding partners and those that bring in a lot of work. Career development and growth opportunities are hard to come by. You have to be very motivated and your own advocate to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Your people are your greatest asset, treat them as such. Provide better career growth and development opportunities.