Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work to be a consultant - not easy to maintain work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Pretty much left to develop yourself with little to no direction (in 12 reviews)

"Too Good to be true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Pros

When I came on board it seemed like I had the perfect job-too perfect. A raise after only a few months. ERM has benefits like none other. I couldn't have been happier.

Cons

They are very cliquish...Suddenly after several months of great work, something set my manager off, that they felt I was no longer qualified to do my job (I didn't fit in). Requesting ridiculous tasks from me. I was then shunned from my team, even discriminated against, riding my time out. They intended to let me go regardless of what I did. My last 30 days there were sickening. I don't think that upper management even knew how I was being treated, makes me wonder how many others are like that.

Advice to Management

Be cautious of some of your team managers, they may be pulling the wool over your eyes, not knowing how some of your employees are treated, more terminations like this and your great place to work will slowly be pulled down.

"Not bad place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse projects provide wide range of work experience

Cons

Primary focus on being billable at the exclusion of everything else. Big divide between partners and consultants.

Advice to Management

Encourage partners to engage and be present.

"Management needs to change."

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Anchorage, AK

Pros

The immediate team in Alaska has great people, yet the influence of some other staff could use improvement. Micromanagement is not the key.

Cons

Management needs to look at the local staff and allow them to influence how to conducted business in Alaska.

Advice to Management

Start listening and use the advice given.

"At your own risk."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, big name clients, talented and knowledgeable professionals.

Cons

Obsessed with billability, always willing to take 80 plus hours a week, but quick to hassle you about the 10 you are short the next week. Lack of willingness to invest in capital expenditures. Everything is tied to billability and how it looks to the investors that the partners answer to. Large company policies that are inflexible and impossible to work under long term if your area of expertise does not fit their mold. Every group, branch, practice, and division are held accountable and operate differently, but not necessarily better.

"Not Sustainable"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn on the job

Cons

No emphasis on training/development. Sub-avg compensation for the industry which is already very low. You won't see effort match compensation until 15 or so yrs in IF you make Partner.

Advice to Management

Develop a more robust/transparent compensation ladder, allow high performers to move up it quicker and reward high performers more and more often.

"Houston office"

Former Employee - Not Environmental Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Not Environmental Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Global company = potential variety of projects and experience for environmental engineer professionals. Many people stay, so they must be doing something right.

Cons

Partner-centric culture (read: "if you're not a partner, you're JUST support staff), and I saw that attitude extended even toward environmental engineer professionals. Do as you're told. This said, exceptions exist (though, through social media networking sites, I've seen many of them leave the company since I have).

Admittedly, I joined ERM from an organization that was MUCH more collaborative, creative, encouraging, and growth-oriented, so the transition to what felt like an oppressive culture was particularly difficult for me. Low salary scale.

Advice to Management

I don't think anyone joins a company to do a bad job. Everyone works hard and contributes to project success, so improve inclusion and opportunities and increase pay scales. Provide effective orientation. Learn employees' strengths and motivations and provide encouragement, or lose potentially great employees.

"Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally good, smart people, some large and interesting projects for well-known corporate clients, ample flexibility to work from home or work your own hours, as long as you hit your billability goal (unless you're a junior person doing lots of field work, which is more rigidly scheduled). People who are driven and really care about doing good work and meeting client goals. Generally, if you're a good person and you do good work, you'll get noticed, get plugged into projects, and get promoted very quickly. You can carve out a niche to do whatever you find interesting, if you have that entrepreneurial drive and can market yourself well enough internally or get lucky (easier said than done).

Cons

Sub-standard salary as an engineer (not sure about other disciplines). Heavy emphasis on billability and sales. Heavy emphasis on H&S training -- but no training on technical topics unless you seek it out or employees bubble it up themselves, and even very little project management training which is a core service. If you don't have that aforementioned entrepreneurial drive, you may find yourself on work you don't like, or lacking work. Benefit perks such as automatic overtime bonuses have been chipped away over the past 5+ years. LOTS of corporate gobbledygook communications-wise. Lots of internal emphasis on the soft-consulting fields like sustainability and social consulting -- yet the majority of the company are hard technical folks in remediation, air pollution, etc. Tied their wagon heavily to oil companies, so when gas prices are down ERM is down. How much you know about operations and how much you are plugged into work can depend heavily on the partners you work under -- they can be something of a black box collectively if you're not connected with an open one who shares. Company runs "engagement surveys" but never makes any of the suggested fixes, or cherry picks easy/soft problems to solve. You may get lost in the mix in some of the larger offices -- there is a big difference in culture between offices in some cases. Lots of hyper-corporate jargon. Ultimately, a company that is mostly an environmental technical and regulatory compliance consultancy but wants badly at the top to be a management consulting firm.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees honestly and directly -- no more carefully massaged PR gobbledygook fake positivity. No more hyper-corporate jargon. Your employees are bright, competent adults who care about the company's success. Invest in them. Treat them like adults. Don't burn them out. Listen to them. Realize they are your product.

"Associate Scientist"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engaged in some pretty exciting work opportunities. Fast-paced.

Cons

Terrible salary for how many hours I work.

Advice to Management

Pay your employers what they are worth.

"Local offices seem good, Upper management is poor"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, Nice offices, Good people locally, some schedule flexibility

Cons

Salary, High billability goals, Upper management is very disconnected, Sick time and training time have to be made up in order to meet billability goals, too little vacation time

Advice to Management

Upper Management: Follow through with your commitments. Visit the offices more frequently to get to know the staff. Allow for training and sick time to be exempt from billability calculations.

"Revolving Door"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management (Less than a year)

Pros

The location of the company is good.

Cons

It is a revolving door.