Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance here is what you demand - you could work as much as you wanted unless you learn to say no (in 35 reviews)

• Lots of over-time expected with little to no recognition or reward (in 14 reviews)

1. "Work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, helpful people

Cons

Company too large and you feel small

2. "Actively consult other businesses on sustainability and safety practices."

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

For the upward trajectory of my career.

Cons

Lack of personability in a large company, nothing major.

"Internship Review"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than a year)

Pros

Great, smart people. The company has a great global focus.

Cons

Billability is a main focus and measurement of performance. It was new to me but as I became familiar with what was expected it got much easier.

Advice to Management

N/a

"ERMer in AU and USA"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

While I don't have much to compare to, ERM has supported and rewarded me throughout my years working with them. They have grown since I have been working here and if you have the right personality and ability there can be plenty of opportunity. Collaboration and tools have improved.

Cons

Can be very short term looking and metric driven.

"Big Company"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible work schedule, very nice people to work with, entrepreneurial opportunities

Cons

lots of field work, not a lot of guidance outside the canned internal learning environment, company is very large, so goal numbers are important and confusing

Advice to Management

mandate more time with your sub staff.

6. "Good for entry level"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Environmental Resources Management as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure to wide range of projects
    Excellent networking opportunities within the company
    Emphasis on training and safety

Cons

Harder to find more billable hours and work unless your office has a large, reoccurring project
    Difficulty for growth/advancement without bringing in your own work/contracts

"Great on paper - but where is company going?"

Current Employee - Scientist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company feels like a family after a while and I've been become close with many of my colleagues. The turnover has been high (>25%) in the last few years but talented, dedicated, smart, motivated and helpful people remain (scientists and non-scientists). There is an immense and ever-growing, fairly-organized H&S culture with mandatory trainings, yearly updated trainings, online optional and required modules, and an internal system for alerting the co. of any and all H&S concerns, from ergonomics to car accidents and gas line breaks during sub surface clearance. There is opportunity to be rewarded for your hard work in bonuses, raises, reimbursement for successful completion of continuing education courses, etc. They will fly you across the country for a training and pay for your hotel and flight and food. There a caring people in your local and regional management that listen to you and care what you have to say. The company has a concentration on bringing sustainable solutions to clients world wide. You are connected online with anyone in the company at any time, even the CEO, so talking to people is really easy and fluid.

Cons

The higher you get in the company, the smaller your raise and bonus gets and sometimes it's almost nothing. International and national management seems so unbearably aloof you wonder if they even know your office exists. The training programs for H&S look great on paper and do help you, but the company has no problem sending you to another state or country with either the wrong or inadequate training, including to parts of the world that are dangerous. The internal H&S system is getting better but is often tedious, overdone, misplaced, redundant or fills a void that doesn't need filling. There is almost no middle managers to guide you and they're overworked. The company feels very top heavy and younger people are blamed for not having work when it's the responsibility of partners and proj managers to get the work in the first place. High turnover overall (<25%). We propose to do more for sustainability but it feels forced, fake and overlooked - I don't see much application of anything remotely sustainable, especially as our biggest projects are in oil and gas and power. Many people work from home and the office lacks any enthusiasm, zest for work or connection. Not much brings people together and there is a hush hush murmur of where the hell the company is going on its new strategy. Company relies too heavily on big clients and rarely fetches new work when it could keep people busy. Local partners would rather staff their projects with their own people if not appropriate for the job so many miss out if they are trained for what the work.

Advice to Management

Wake up - people are iffy about this whole company. A few years ago we were at the top of the game but now we have suffered little growth, a ton of layoffs of amazing people, put everyone on edge, and concentrates so much on "billability" to a client and barely anything on the people that work here. Even with hard work, people aren't rewarded properly. Stop working your young people to death. They WILL leave, further perpetuating the middle manager void. Too top heavy. Have more fun, more incentives. It feels empty here.

8. "Senior Project Manager"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial , ambitious, exciting career prospects

Cons

Same as any other consulting firm.

9. "Consultant Level 1"

Current Contractor - Consultant Level I
    Current Contractor - Consultant Level I

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and supervisors. There are a lot of great chances to learn new skills.

Cons

Moving up may be challenging, the company seems to run on internal networking and with offices all over the country it can be hard to find the right people to do so with.

Advice to Management

Provide in house job opportunity postings to current employees to maintain quality workers.

10. "It's been a huge growth and learning experience that never gets boring!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Great people and challenging work, with pretty good benefits. They have a fun caring atmosphere that makes it easy to go to work most days.

Cons

The pay sucks bad, as they do not meet or come close to other companies salaries, because of their structure for most employees. Such as young/new people or inexperienced in some areas.

Advice to Management

They need to work on better competitive salaries and recognize when employees were not given raises for promoting and work on making that up.