Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work to be a consultant - not easy to maintain work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Pretty much left to develop yourself with little to no direction (in 12 reviews)

"Pay attention to the leaders who are sending the message through their actions that People are last."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

As a whole, ERM offers a challenging environment with opportunities to develop your knowledge and be part of teams involved in interesting projects. There is vast opportunity to work with other cultures across the globe and, if your skills and qualifications are right, for global travel and involvement with colleagues in other offices. Good opportunity to work directly with clients on ongoing projects of large scope. The company offers many training opportunities to advance your knowledge and your interpersonal skills, whether company-created courses or external courses the company subscribes to and incorprates into its culture. Company promotes and encourages personal professional certification efforts.

Cons

There is a disconnect between management and the people. The "People First" strategy is more empty-words internal marketing than a real approach backed up by actions. The drive of billable hours is understandable for a consulting firm but the underlying message of moving non-billable time to project time is just short of truthful time reporting. Senior partners push out an elitist attitude that leaves many staff distrustful and feeling as if they are no more than cogs in the wheel of partner success. Bonus program is uneven and focused towards the partners rather than those who work on projects and deal with the clients face-to-face on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the people. Allow staff to solicit and review managers.

"Fragmented, disorganized environmental service provider"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Worldwide exposure on certain projects

Cons

Lack of sophistication, low professional attitude, and micromanagement. An environmental firm which receives many contracts from oil and natural gas sector.

"Brentwood Office-horrible working environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the very least, it was a good learning experience and I was given freedom to make efforts over and above my job that contributed to office efficiency.

Cons

When it came time to step up for a big project, there was not enough "teamwork" mentality.
    Women became catty and untrustworthy. HR in GA is even worse (meow!)
    Lots of folks left after I did. My last mistake was covering up someone else's office error so that we didn't look bad in the presentation to the client. I should have left it alone. I learned. Liked my bosses, but after a while didn't trust them. Best thing for me as well was leaving that environment.

Advice to Management

Don't let an office problem snowball. Nip it in the bud and you may have less turnover.

"Not a great company to be in."

Current Employee - Consultant Level I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant Level I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the advantages of working at ERM is the ability to gain project experience quickly and add valuable experiences to one's resume.

Cons

The main disadvantage in my view is the low compensation ERM offers for the type of work. Projects can be demanding and require specialized knowledge which is simply not being compensated. Work-life balance is hampered by project deadlines and stoked by over-worked partner-level ERMers. ERM also does a poor job tracking its internal talent and is not uncommon to have talented staff unutilized and not being actively match to project internally. That is because ERM still operates as a network of independent offices, rather than ONE company (despite for years they have been trying to instill that culture).

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Fast growth, opportunities to expand your experience rapidly. Great people to work with at the consultant level. Many of the managers seem to care about the staff.

Cons

Seems to be a system of favorites for advancement. Inexperienced college grads are picked for project management roles while experienced consultants are past over because they are not on the favorite list. Compensation widely varies across individuals in the same roles. Lack of transparency in compensation. Lack of morality and integrity within management. HR does not seem to understand confidentiality in handling personnel issues. This is known by all.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at current key management personnel and clean house.

"Terrible place to work, but typical of consulting companies."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can think of none. The partner I reported to was consistently late or did not show up to appointments with me, did nothing to further my career, and actively prevented me from finding work.

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities, Politics, Organizational Structure, Lack of Recognition to junior staff.

Advice to Management

It would be in your best interest to value intelligent, hard working entry-level employees. Recognition through better pay, promotion, and other non-monetary perks would certainly go a long way. If you treat staff as if they're disposable, do not be surprised when they find another job.

"You Can Do Better Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some job flexibility. Some of the people were nice. If you're young and perceived to be an up and comer you can learn some good skills.

Cons

I worked in an evolving process risk group. 3 or 4 out of 27+ knew what they were doing. The rest were mostly young folks with no operating experience working on projects they knew nothing about. l almost felt guilty billing customers.

If you're a seasoned professional expect to learn nothing new; no training or opportunity to learn anything. A few chosen young folks put on the fast track learn some new stuff, but no one else.

Expectation is that you will work overtime. My job called for 98% billability with a 30 min. staff meeting each day that was part of the calculation - you do the math. Incentive bonus was removed for this year because "too many projects ran over budget".

If the above was just my experience I'd take my lumps and be quiet, but many in my former group would echo my sentiments. Many good people have left after I did. As it was I left and have no regrets - had a wonderful new job that paid 30% more in 6 weeks.

"Poor internal ethics"

Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Advertised as environmentally friendly company

Cons

Most senior partners are just looking to increase their bonus in the short term, without any investment on new partners. Very short sighted and lack of vision. Senior partners also don't know how to manage change in a growing company. Mostly, their mentality is a small mom and pop's firm and can't handle large projects or commitments. Also they are extremely adverse to what they call "risk". All other consultants are doing what ERM calls risky, so i honestly don't know where can they grow if they are unwilling to do the work.

Advice to Management

Check your turnover rate, and open your eyes!!
    it spells disaster!!

"I understand the high turnover rate"

Current Employee - Staff Geologist
    Current Employee - Staff Geologist

Pros

Good vacation even if you're starting out new. Never had trouble getting some time off or rearranging a day to go to an appointment (i.e. dentist). Benefits are good and pay is decent if a little under what industry should be if you have more education. My coworkers in the field were always easy to work with.

Cons

NO BILLABLE WORK! I was hired for a position that had at most 25 hrs of billable work each week with a few exceptions (doesn't exactly fit the description of "full time"). I am continually told to ask for work within the office and always hear the same answer: nothing this week or nothing you can help with. Then I am continually sent emails chastizing me for my terrible billability. There are only so many times every week I can volunteer to do literally any billable work and be told I'm out of luck. The few things that I get to do are not related to what I was hired for. It is incredibly discouraging to want to work, be willing to put in the time and effort, and be unable to do so. I am looking for a new job elsewhere as soon as I can. I'm even willing to take a pay cut if it means I can find a job that will allow me to work.

If you want to have work at ERM, get into auditing or compliance or be the only field position in your office.

On a final note, I fail to see the point ot annual reviews if no incentive is given to work harder or better each year. Give me all 1s or all 5s and I'll still be given the mandatory 1-2% raise, at best. More senior level managers who are plainly awful at their jobs seem to enjoy overtime and bonuses regardless of their shoddy work and lost contracts.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people if you have no work for them. Then stop blaming them for the situation you put them in. Stop rewarding terrible/poor work, no matter who it comes from.

"Those who sleep with their "Partners" get more billable hours for their Night-time Job."

Pros

No pros at all. Pathetic company to work for.

Cons

Several. The seniors have several billable hours in the budget, but assign the entire project with very minimal "billable" hours to the junior consultants and claim the rest for themselves for their selfish reasons (to maintain billability and a good reputation for themselves without actually working on the project).

Advice to Management

THE BUDGET SHEET SHOULD BE MANDATORILY SHARED WITH ALL CONSULANTS WHO WORK ON THE PROJECT. AND STOP CHEATING YOUR OWN EMPLOYEES.