Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Environmental Resources Management CEO Keryn James
Keryn James

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work to be a consultant - not easy to maintain work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Pretty much left to develop yourself with little to no direction (in 12 reviews)

"Staff dissatisfaction and high turnover is nagatively affecting work quality"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Interesting projects and global clients. You get involved in different projects. Lots of smart people with impressive background. Focus on health and safety.

Cons

Just read any other cons from other reviews.. There's a very strong pattern.

Advice to Management

This is more of a question to Managent: I understand that everyone is replaceable, but how are you going provide "world class delivery" if your junior staff and project manager turnover rate is ridiculously high? If you find the answer to this you will be the most successful consulting company in the world. Cheers

"Don't waste your life here"

Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is like the fountain of youth. After 10 years or more, you are still exactly the same. I look at the people that were here when I first joined and they are stuck in a time capsule.

The people who leave this company always end up doing much better elsewhere. So, plenty of greener grass across the street.

Cons

I have worked here more than 10 years. Those years have been wasted away. Don't make the same mistake. One day you will regret having worked here for any significant amount of time.

I know one dude who was a partner when I first started. He has spend the last 15 years being bounced around different offices across the world to replace people who left. He tried to leave once and discovered that he had no real abilities and failed so badly that he had to return and continue to be a re-trend tire.

If you worked long enough you will see a mind boggling number of incompetent, hateful, jealous, ignorant losers who magically become partners.

Advice to Management

Wake up and check the calendar

"Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, high profile clients, variety in project types and opportunities

Cons

ERM is a big company that is focused on profit and the bottom line which I can definitely appreciate- ERM is just like any other capitalistic company trying to make it in a competitive environment. In a way, I am impressed by their unapologetic willingness to squeeze billable hours out of their employees. I am even impressed by the unemotional “rank and fire” system ERM employs to cull their worst performers and employees whose billability is lacking. It’s all fun and games and gleeful smugness until your client calls and says that the project you are on is postponed indefinitely and you have to wonder if your head is next on the chopping block. It definitely promotes a spirit of competition internally which leads to high performance as well as work-hording. Be aware- pay is below market value for engineering firms and overtime is expected. Don’t be miss-lead into thinking that the pay is competitive by hearing about the prospect of a bonus. The company is global which means that different sectors and business units can have vastly different workloads and profitability- raises and bonuses take into account how the company and business units are doing as a whole, and aren’t solely based on individual performance. You will be exposed to a multitude of clients and project types which makes it a good stepping stone to gain experience. When it comes down to it, I would respect ERM a lot more if they would just own who they are- a large, impersonal company focused on making a profit. This is not a family. This company does not care about you personally- you are a replaceable pawn. If I were to do the interview over again, I would ask about turnover rate and take the number at face value- it speaks volumes. If you have any other job option, take it.

Advice to Management

Pay is below market value for engineering firms. Until this is addressed people will continue to leave as soon as another opportunity presents itself because ERM has very little to offer in the way of company culture. Internal online site is a mess.

"Program Manager"

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Lots of travel opportunities around the world

Cons

Work/life balance, management commitment to 100-year-old dying industries

Advice to Management

Change your strategy,

"Associate Scientist"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work at ERM are awesome, with the exception of management. Fancy offices and artwork.

Cons

Lower level field staff get screwed by consistently working 50+ hours every week and are not paid overtime because they are salaried. It should be noted that all of that overtime still gets billed to clients. Very little opportunities for development or training. Most project managers provided minimal guidance and expect staff to figure it out on a limited budget, resulting in high stress and low quality deliverables. Benefits and salaries are extremely low compared to industry standards.

Advice to Management

You are a "sustainable" consultancy, so act like it. Pay your employees what they deserve and give them proper resources to reach their potential.

"Great job if you fit into the culture"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

ERM offers opportunities to grow if you're a motivated worker and a variety of different projects if you want to learn about different industries. I've learned more in the past few months than during the rest of my career. I'm motivated by the smart and innovative people that I work with directly (although I can't speak for other groups). The culture isn't overly corporate-y, which is refreshing.

Cons

Pay is lower than average and the benefits could also use improvement.

Advice to Management

HRIS Workday needs an overhaul.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Partner in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Partner in Houston, TX

Pros

this company is total trash

Cons

the trash is 100% perfection

Advice to Management

you are complete garbage

"consultant"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Working there is marginally better than digging ditches

Cons

long hours in often unsafe working conditions, ridiculous bureaucracy, awful training

Advice to Management

Stop running the company like an 18th century sweat shop

10. "Great company. Passionate people"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Paris (France)

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Strong expertise. High level complex projects across geographies. Real impact with major international corporation. Willingness to improve our global footprint. Good spirit and ambiance. Very skilled people. Very profitable. Robust firm. Well recognized by clients for the value added and a lot of independant awards

Cons

Very demanding. High expectations from people. Focus on profitability. Need to improve long term vision, in progress thanks to recent changes. Wait to see the implementation.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on technology and communication. Make people empowered to implement expected changes.

"Good but consider carefully"

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities to work with diverse clients and colleagues globally.

Cons

Company pushes much on revenue matter.
    Pay is relatively lower