Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work to be a consultant - not easy to maintain work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Pretty much left to develop yourself with little to no direction (in 12 reviews)

"OK place to start in EHS, but the culture is toxifying"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than 3 years)

Pros

ERM has a great reputation and can quickly help you develop an international network of peers and clients.
    Health benefits are solid.
    Depending on your position your workspace can be flexible (in-office, at home or on a client's site).
    HR personnel mean well and work hard.

Cons

The company has changed culture dramatically in the last five years, finally following the trend of its competitors by cutting staff en-mass whenever business slows and hiring en-mass when business picks up.
    Loyalty, once heavily valued and fostered by the company, has evaporated on both ends.
    Layoffs are impersonal to rude and project teams aren't notified of layoffs until someone inquires why the laid off person isn't online.
    Wages are average to low unless you're a Partner, vacation is below average, and health/safety are often boxes to check or lipservice.
    Culture has become toxic in many areas as people are burned out or laid off.

Advice to Management

Value your employees in ways that show genuine care and give them reason to stay.

"ERM is a Listing Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than 3 years)

Pros

Historically good reputation and generally good business acumen along with entrepreneurially orientation. Worldwide foot print appeals to global clients and opens doors for international work and opportunities to work with a wide range of multi-national clients. ERM has smart, innovative, and talented staff.

Cons

The Senior Leadership team has become disconnected from the essence of what made ERM great. Similarly, there is a divide between the partners and the rest of the staff ranging from entry level to senior staff. Private equity owner seems to have myopic influence on profitability resulting in short term decision making. ERM has an ineffective system to equitably reward collaboration sales efforts. ERM is adopting an open office floor which can promote collaborative and creative outcomes; however, this "one-size-fits-all" model does not play well to a consulting environment where staff need quiet time to read/analyze and write as well as freedom to communicate by phone without impacting their nearby colleagues.

Advice to Management

Re-engage senior leadership in a meaningful way with the partnership and assert a long term strategy which is agnostic to near term profit. Establish meaningful guidelines to reward relative contributions in team selling to promote collaboration.

"Staff Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Automatic flushers, they own office space, they serve coffee (though it tastes like someone mixed mud with water and threw it in the microwave), some people are friendly and enjoy complaining about the company and their role which kind of helps digesting the monotony day to day.

Cons

Its important to understand I am a young millennial with aspirations to learn, grow, be challenged, and gain exposure and experience. ERM is a top heavy organization, dictated by partners who are greedy, selfish and put on the facade they have your best interests in mind. I'll never forget when the company sent a company wide email detailing that all promotions and raises were going to be put on hold, but bonuses were luckily still in tact. The only issue is, bonuses were tied towards revenue driven for the company, so partners reaped in the benefits, while all lower level staff were stiffed with no annual raises. Thanks.

If you are 23-28 do not apply to ERM. There is no growth potential as they often hire externally for higher management because they can steal other companies business this way. They enjoy keeping lower level staff conducting lower level work so that they can be easily replaced if they want to conduct their seasonal hiring and firing per fluctuations in revenue.

Furthermore, there is only one metric lower level employees are evaluated on: billability. You can be the brightest, most dedicated, and passionate employee at ERM and you will not thrive if your manager is unable to get you work. In the same way, frustratingly so, someone who is fortunate enough to be placed on a contract that bills 100% will be treated like they are the premier employee for the company and management will smile at their peasant instructing them their future is bright if they can just keep up the hard work. Some people actually buy in too, which is terrifying to see. "Oh I love this, I've been over 100% billable for 6 months now, doing boring work that someone who doesn't speak English can perform, but at least I'll get a minimal raise if they don't fire me this season." That was a common conversation around the coffee maker. Great way to retain talent ERM!

Advice to Management

Stop pretending this is a good place to go for young millenials with any sort of career aspirations or intelligence. Hire drones with no ambition, who will slave away for you until you fire them.

"Too Good to be true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Pros

When I came on board it seemed like I had the perfect job-too perfect. A raise after only a few months. ERM has benefits like none other. I couldn't have been happier.

Cons

They are very cliquish...Suddenly after several months of great work, something set my manager off, that they felt I was no longer qualified to do my job (I didn't fit in). Requesting ridiculous tasks from me. I was then shunned from my team, even discriminated against, riding my time out. They intended to let me go regardless of what I did. My last 30 days there were sickening. I don't think that upper management even knew how I was being treated, makes me wonder how many others are like that.

Advice to Management

Be cautious of some of your team managers, they may be pulling the wool over your eyes, not knowing how some of your employees are treated, more terminations like this and your great place to work will slowly be pulled down.

"Associate Air Quality Engineer"

Former Employee - Associate Air Quality Engineer in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Associate Air Quality Engineer in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice People. Interesting Projects.

Cons

Depressing office environment. Low, stagnant pay.

"Not bad place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse projects provide wide range of work experience

Cons

Primary focus on being billable at the exclusion of everything else. Big divide between partners and consultants.

Advice to Management

Encourage partners to engage and be present.

8. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provide a challenging work environment and good benefits

Cons

Options for advancement in non-managerial positions is limited

"Faulty Corporate Philosophy"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good, smart, and dedicated people.

Cons

Business Units, Lack of focus on work product, Lack of client focus, Lack of people focus, Poor project management, Too focused on "sales", Faulty project accounting processes, Too much priority on Partners, Pay below market rate, Bonus structure does not makeup for below-average salaries, Poor work environment - hoteling in open floor plan, and Lack of insightful/decisive leadership.

Advice to Management

Listen to input from ALL employees; not just Partners. Your model no longer works in 2016. Change or fail.

"Great opportunities, but lower then average pay."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global opportunities to diversify work, good people, encourages employees to travel and work from other offices. Bonuses are good if you do well.

Cons

Lack of leadership, depending on locale, may need to sharpen your elbows. Tough for training and development. Pay lower than industry standard.

Advice to Management

Pay good employees more, bad employees less!

"Senior Health & Safety Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior HSE Consultant/Training Manager in Eagle River, AK
    Current Employee - Senior HSE Consultant/Training Manager in Eagle River, AK

Pros

Nice people below the partner level

Cons

Poor health insurance and upper management (division level) is not trustworthy.