Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance here is what you demand - you could work as much as you wanted unless you learn to say no (in 35 reviews)

• Lots of over-time expected with little to no recognition or reward (in 14 reviews)

"ERMer in AU and USA"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

While I don't have much to compare to, ERM has supported and rewarded me throughout my years working with them. They have grown since I have been working here and if you have the right personality and ability there can be plenty of opportunity. Collaboration and tools have improved.

Cons

Can be very short term looking and metric driven.

"Big Company"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible work schedule, very nice people to work with, entrepreneurial opportunities

Cons

lots of field work, not a lot of guidance outside the canned internal learning environment, company is very large, so goal numbers are important and confusing

Advice to Management

mandate more time with your sub staff.

"ERM NOLA"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Exposed to variety of different projects
    Travel

Cons

Non-competitive salary
    Little opportunity for growth/development
    Disconnect between middle management and staff

"Paper Dog"

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

The pay is ok. Most of your co-workers are friendly and easy to for with.

Cons

Top management NEVER commend's employees for jobs are well done.

Advice to Management

Kind words can improve morale.

"Long hours"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Some what flexible work schedule

Cons

Long hours, no overtime, hard work, underpaid

Advice to Management

Pay overtime

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a very flexible schedule.

Cons

Work lots of hours without overtime. Must meet billable goals which are very high. too much travel

Advice to Management

Treat people well, they are your most valuable asset.

"Great on paper - but where is company going?"

Current Employee - Scientist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company feels like a family after a while and I've been become close with many of my colleagues. The turnover has been high (>25%) in the last few years but talented, dedicated, smart, motivated and helpful people remain (scientists and non-scientists). There is an immense and ever-growing, fairly-organized H&S culture with mandatory trainings, yearly updated trainings, online optional and required modules, and an internal system for alerting the co. of any and all H&S concerns, from ergonomics to car accidents and gas line breaks during sub surface clearance. There is opportunity to be rewarded for your hard work in bonuses, raises, reimbursement for successful completion of continuing education courses, etc. They will fly you across the country for a training and pay for your hotel and flight and food. There a caring people in your local and regional management that listen to you and care what you have to say. The company has a concentration on bringing sustainable solutions to clients world wide. You are connected online with anyone in the company at any time, even the CEO, so talking to people is really easy and fluid.

Cons

The higher you get in the company, the smaller your raise and bonus gets and sometimes it's almost nothing. International and national management seems so unbearably aloof you wonder if they even know your office exists. The training programs for H&S look great on paper and do help you, but the company has no problem sending you to another state or country with either the wrong or inadequate training, including to parts of the world that are dangerous. The internal H&S system is getting better but is often tedious, overdone, misplaced, redundant or fills a void that doesn't need filling. There is almost no middle managers to guide you and they're overworked. The company feels very top heavy and younger people are blamed for not having work when it's the responsibility of partners and proj managers to get the work in the first place. High turnover overall (<25%). We propose to do more for sustainability but it feels forced, fake and overlooked - I don't see much application of anything remotely sustainable, especially as our biggest projects are in oil and gas and power. Many people work from home and the office lacks any enthusiasm, zest for work or connection. Not much brings people together and there is a hush hush murmur of where the hell the company is going on its new strategy. Company relies too heavily on big clients and rarely fetches new work when it could keep people busy. Local partners would rather staff their projects with their own people if not appropriate for the job so many miss out if they are trained for what the work.

Advice to Management

Wake up - people are iffy about this whole company. A few years ago we were at the top of the game but now we have suffered little growth, a ton of layoffs of amazing people, put everyone on edge, and concentrates so much on "billability" to a client and barely anything on the people that work here. Even with hard work, people aren't rewarded properly. Stop working your young people to death. They WILL leave, further perpetuating the middle manager void. Too top heavy. Have more fun, more incentives. It feels empty here.

"International company with local feel"

Former Employee - Program Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Program Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great reach throughout the world. The company is looking for people to take their network into Erm and build their own business. Plenty of office and people to support that mission. Very talented staff in the offices. The company provides a very professional venue to advance.

Cons

You will have to build your business on your own. Their is not a lot of collaboration with Senior people, but there is support for project work. The company demands high profitability and rates may be difficult to justify with clients.

Advice to Management

Find a way to invest in staff development. Look for opportunities to develop career paths with new hires and middle level staff. Find ways to drive collaboration across offices, and within offices across partners. Share the success down.

"A new consultant"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility and opportunity to work in various challenging industries some of the time. My immediate manager is very supportive.

Cons

A consultant's life controlled by the client. Administrative support is not cost effective and do not translate well to clients.

10. "Senior Project Manager"

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial , ambitious, exciting career prospects

Cons

Same as any other consulting firm.