Environmental Resources Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Resources Management Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work to be a consultant - not easy to maintain work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Pretty much left to develop yourself with little to no direction (in 12 reviews)

"Awful"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to tap into a large internal network of professionals across all fields for project support and advice. IF they respond you could learn a great deal.

Cons

Zero guidance from management; low pay, management more concerned with making someone billable than providing a quality product to client; high burn out rate; insulting bonus and raise structure; complete disregard for staff.

Advice to Management

Change your whole business model or the revolving door will never stop. Staff the right people on projects instead of someone that just needs to be billable. Clients need to be very careful and scrutinize the service they are actually relieving as opposed to what they are paying for. And PAY YOUR STAFF BETTER.

"Company Needs to Make Serious Changes"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I worked for ERM for 4.5 years. I was able to work on a variety of projects and learn a lot about various industries during that time. There were opportunities for travel if wanted, though after a while the extended travel began to wear on my family life. Most of the people in the local office were friendly.

Cons

There is a strong push for 100% billability. Managing Partners have voiced the opinion that individuals that cannot be fully billable should be fired. However, the additional job duties that are not billable functions do not get compensated through overtime pay. You are consistently asked to work 50+ hours/week but paid at a much lower rate than others in the industry for less work.

Additionally, they try to lure you in with promises of an amazing bonus system. RUN! They promise that those who do great work will see 5-10% year end bonuses and are eligible for quarterly $2500 bonuses. These don't happen. At most you see 2% annual bonuses and you might (if a partner nominates you) receive a $500 quarterly bonus once. The additional effort put into the work is not equally compensated.

Finally, ERM consistently bills out work at rates around 5 to 7 times higher than what the employees are actually paid. The private equity firm and the partners are then seeing the profits that come from this additional cash inflow, not the employees that are working the hours to complete the work.

Advice to Management

Consider your employees and their values. ERM calls itself the world's leading sustainability consultancy, yet all of the sustainability folks have jumped ship. People leave for higher paying jobs (including shifting to the government) because compensation is not up to par. If you want to keep great employees and high paying clients, you need to compensate your employees better and create a much better work/life balance.

"Unethical management and extremely high turnover!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA

Pros

There are some good employees.

Cons

It's a very suffocating working environment. There are a couple nice employees in the office but they have to protect themselves and their retirement s so no one really express what they think. Its only dissatisfaction behind closed doors. Management is rigged with greed when it comes to bonus and sale credit.

"Just Not A Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than a year)

Pros

If you are able to get a good manager, you will have the opportunity to work on great projects, meet great people, and have experience exponential career growth.

Cons

More than likely, you will work for a line manager that is not supportive; which will make your time at ERM very challenging and daunting. Be prepared to train yourself with minimal support for project manager or direct supervisor.

Advice to Management

Invest time in training your managers

"terrible company and blatant sexism"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Vacation and paid time off isn't bad for a beginning position.

Cons

EVERYTHING. This is a terrible company- if you're in the magical "chosen" group of (male) employees, you'll have amazing opportunities. If you're in the other group- good luck. I have little to no work to show for my 3 years here despite constantly trying to get involved in everything I hear about. Yet despite all this I'm given excellent reviews at annual review time. (So either they can't be honest with me that I'm a terrible employee or they're idiots). If you end up like me (at this company) prepare to watch your coworkers move up, get raises, and bonuses, while you pick up the slack for an incompetent admin assistant. Get ready to use all your education and experience to file paperwork, make phone calls, and prep other people's work. Working for this company has been, possibly, the worst decision I've ever made.

Oh- lets not forget that no one gets fired from here for doing bad work. In fact you get promoted faster the more idiotic you are. Lost a huge contract? RAISE! Offend clients and give them another clients' information? PROMOTION!

Advice to Management

Grow up. Either be honest people or shut up. Try firing people based on their performance. No one wants to work with idiots and clean up their messes.

"Not great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management (More than a year)

Pros

project experience and some travel if you are lucky

Cons

- very disorganized
    - low pay
    - management doesn't care about employees
    - long working hours and no recognition for good work
    - management doesn't really care about quality control of work, they only care about profit
    - you only advance in your career if you are "someone's friend"

"Risk Management"

Former Employee - Safety in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Safety in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oaky. Work was challenging. Could be better

Cons

Benefits could be seriously improved

Advice to Management

Okay

"Poor internal ethics"

Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Advertised as environmentally friendly company

Cons

Most senior partners are just looking to increase their bonus in the short term, without any investment on new partners. Very short sighted and lack of vision. Senior partners also don't know how to manage change in a growing company. Mostly, their mentality is a small mom and pop's firm and can't handle large projects or commitments. Also they are extremely adverse to what they call "risk". All other consultants are doing what ERM calls risky, so i honestly don't know where can they grow if they are unwilling to do the work.

Advice to Management

Check your turnover rate, and open your eyes!!
    it spells disaster!!

"You Can Do Better Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some job flexibility. Some of the people were nice. If you're young and perceived to be an up and comer you can learn some good skills.

Cons

I worked in an evolving process risk group. 3 or 4 out of 27+ knew what they were doing. The rest were mostly young folks with no operating experience working on projects they knew nothing about. l almost felt guilty billing customers.

If you're a seasoned professional expect to learn nothing new; no training or opportunity to learn anything. A few chosen young folks put on the fast track learn some new stuff, but no one else.

Expectation is that you will work overtime. My job called for 98% billability with a 30 min. staff meeting each day that was part of the calculation - you do the math. Incentive bonus was removed for this year because "too many projects ran over budget".

If the above was just my experience I'd take my lumps and be quiet, but many in my former group would echo my sentiments. Many good people have left after I did. As it was I left and have no regrets - had a wonderful new job that paid 30% more in 6 weeks.

"Terrible place to work, but typical of consulting companies."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Environmental Resources Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can think of none. The partner I reported to was consistently late or did not show up to appointments with me, did nothing to further my career, and actively prevented me from finding work.

Cons

Lack of Advancement Opportunities, Politics, Organizational Structure, Lack of Recognition to junior staff.

Advice to Management

It would be in your best interest to value intelligent, hard working entry-level employees. Recognition through better pay, promotion, and other non-monetary perks would certainly go a long way. If you treat staff as if they're disposable, do not be surprised when they find another job.