Environmental Science Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Environmental Science Associates CEO Leslie Moulton-Post
Leslie Moulton-Post

"Workplace bullies"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally flexible about where/when you do your work. Will let you go part time. Interesting work when there is work.

Cons

Cruel management. Lack of advancement potential. Demand that you are billable and then do not provide you with work. Berate workers when times are slow. Unwillingness to get rid or poor managers. When they had the opportunity to hire someone with real business experience as COO a few years ago, they went with an ineffectual dimwit from within instead. Predictably, the company isn't doing well. Not that that is... stopping ESA from hiring top level people nonstop. They are labeled "strategic hires" as if it is somehow strategic to be top-heavy. And then, of course, there is nowhere for any of the lower level people to go. Every day I work here I lose a little part of my soul. The days are so slow since there is no work. I am absolutely miserable here. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Develop your staff. Your junior level staff is miserable. Seriously. We hate it here. The second the market gets even the least bit better, everyone is going to flee.

Environmental Science Associates2012-12-08

"Don't get too comfortable"

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Environmental Science Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits Nice office (In Los Angeles) Small office Easy to get friendly and close with co-workers If you work on enough good projects you can add loads of experience to a resume Was my first job where I got a bonus check

Cons

They don't invest as much in their employees as they may say. In fact , they year I was there the main guy chastised the bosses in on our office for spending money to send Associates to seminars and trainings. I believe there are a lot of office politics at work. I wasn't always one to hang with co-workers during lunch and happy hour after work, so I think that attributed to me being let go. If they don't... have work, then you don't have work. And if you aren't working (billable) then you aren't of use. You must constantly ask for work to do. No direct training to help new associates understand their place in the company and to really understand how their processes work. After talking with my boss a few times, he said that they were interested in investing in their employees to raise in the ranks. Maybe he was misled also, but I didn't see that happening at all. People are too busy at times to help bring you up, so you may have to do it on your own. In short, don't be lulled into a false sense of security. A woman I know who left there said "Almost everyday I went to work, I thought I might get fired."

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Stop using the facade of niceness and care. At the end of the day you run like a corporation. Just because you work related to the environment doesn't make you automatically a good, "caring" company.

Environmental Science Associates2012-06-20
  3. "A good place to work, with good people."

Anonymousssociate II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates

Pros

I like that the company is employee owned because it helps to motivate you to succeed. I think management does a pretty good job of guiding the firm although sometimes their reasons for doing certain things aren't as clear as I would like.

Cons

Sometimes I think it is hard to move up the ladder here. Obviously the economy has affected salaries, but it does seem like that is a bit of an excuse considering how the group I am in is succeeding.

Advice to Management

Provide more clarity for your reasons for decisions that are made. Focus more on firm wide recognition. Sometimes it looks like those who work at corporate receive more recognition and are able to move up faster.

Environmental Science Associates2011-12-06

"Interesting projects, poor pay, lots of resignations"

Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates

Pros

Very interesting projects, good reputation, and offices are located near transit.

Cons

People are rarely or slowly promoted, then quit. Then the company hires new people at a position higher than the people who just quit, and sometimes these new people are less qualified then the people who quit. This lowers the morale for everyone. Also, for a small company, folks aren't very friendly. The 'competition' element is similar to larger corporate firms.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Stop hiring people without relevant education and people who lack industry experience. Try to fix the 'kiss up, kick down' culture that is dominates the middle management.

Environmental Science Associates2011-09-23

"Working at ESA"

Senior Associate II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Science Associates

Pros

Great people. Good overall company reputation. Convenient office locationclose to public transportation. Great benefits. Environmentally conscious.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Poor salary increases for long-time employees. Technical staff not treated fairly with other staff.

Advice to Management

Supporting a good work/life balance (e.g., allowing part-time employment & hourly workers) is important to morale and overall job performance.

Environmental Science Associates2010-07-19
  6. "CSR"

I worked at Environmental Science Associates full-time

Pros

Great place to work with lots of support and help from other staff. Would recommend this place to anyone who wants a great employer

Cons

Fast paced work environment with not a lot of support from other staff. Not a great life and work balance but it can get better over time.

Environmental Science Associates2016-03-03