Environmental Science Associates Senior Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Leslie Moulton-Post

"Working at ESA"

Senior Associate II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Environmental Science Associates

Pros

Great people. Good overall company reputation. Convenient office locationclose to public transportation. Great benefits. Environmentally conscious.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Poor salary increases for long-time employees. Technical staff not treated fairly with other staff.

Advice to Management

Supporting a good work/life balance (e.g., allowing part-time employment & hourly workers) is important to morale and overall job performance.

Environmental Science Associates2010-07-19

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay and interesting projects. Relatively flexible hours, but also expect you to work more than 40 on a regular basis, which unfortunately is pretty typical for this industry.

Cons

I've worked at several private consulting firms, but never at one that is so driven by office politics. Very political, it doesn't feel like anyone has each other's backs. The way work is given out is very chaotic. Some people are over-burdened while others getting laid off for being too slow. Very strange. Almost no management in that regard. Other than that, typical consulting complaints. Over-billing clients,... focused on short-term goals, fake timelines, etc.

Advice to Management

Someone here needs to step up and change the management culture. There seems to be adequate employees, but no strong management.

Environmental Science Associates2016-05-18

"Mediocre and disappointing"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Environmental Science Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers everyone is helpful, work isnt too hard, and good benefits.

Cons

No training, gossiping/backbitting, toxic work enviroment from management,no promotion from within, no opportunities for growth. You definitely hit the glass ceiling and most people leave or quit.

Advice to Management

Too top heavy, doesn't promote from within, think about helping and training your staff and become mentors instead of blaming others for your short comings and failures.

Environmental Science Associates2013-04-16

"Workplace bullies"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Environmental Science Associates part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally flexible about where/when you do your work. Will let you go part time. Interesting work when there is work.

Cons

Cruel management. Lack of advancement potential. Demand that you are billable and then do not provide you with work. Berate workers when times are slow. Unwillingness to get rid or poor managers. When they had the opportunity to hire someone with real business experience as COO a few years ago, they went with an ineffectual dimwit from within instead. Predictably, the company isn't doing well. Not that that is... stopping ESA from hiring top level people nonstop. They are labeled "strategic hires" as if it is somehow strategic to be top-heavy. And then, of course, there is nowhere for any of the lower level people to go. Every day I work here I lose a little part of my soul. The days are so slow since there is no work. I am absolutely miserable here. I wouldn't wish working here on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Develop your staff. Your junior level staff is miserable. Seriously. We hate it here. The second the market gets even the least bit better, everyone is going to flee.

Environmental Science Associates2012-12-08