Environmental Working Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 16, 2017

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Cook

1. "Best Job of My Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Working Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good things to say about Environmental Working group. I worked there for 5 years, and this company is ready to go on the dime, whether it's innovation, research, or cutting-edge press releases. EWG is not afraid to try something new, and tossing all there energies and staff resources to get everyone moving towards an ultimate goal for the greater good.

It's amazing how the teams work so well even through disagreements, compromises are made, and when I was there, successful outcomes always came. I think there is somehting powerful about the way they reward employees as well. If you did somehting great, you were called out by name, and what you did. It's very empowering when you can see your other colleagues get rewarded, or praised, and then also to receive the same treatment for quality work as well.

Lots of transparency, and people there are fairly truthful and sincere. Makes it easy to make friends and support each other. You can tell that people really care, you will for sure make friends at EWG, I loved the international and cultural diversity of EWG.

EWG will for sure keep you busy! They move fast. I mean fast. The nice thing is they are flexible, and never felt micro-managed. My team transitioned through two supervisors, and both were great, and the process was seamless.

Cons

Disagreements will happen, lots of smart people, mean lots of ideas. Fortunately working through disagreements is a quick process there, since EWG is very fast paced, so a compromise will be made to keep the ball rolling. Have your facts together for something you want to innovate, to prove the ROI. Sometimes that can be hard since it is a non-profit, and funds are allocated judiciously.

Work load is pretty heavy.

Takes a while to move up, but you eventually will.

Advice to Management

What you have done all these years, continue to keep it up.

2. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Environmental Working Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart and hardworking staff.
    Friendly, relaxed work environment.
    People who are passionate about environmental issues in a smart, savy way that doesn't come across as too radical

Cons

As an intern, my task became mundane after a while. Most of my learning occurred through attending meetings and talking to various staff members. I wouldn't have minded being thrown other random tasks, but my position was pretty specific.

"Amazing atmosphere with passionate/intelligent co-workers."

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Environmental Working Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

EWG is a forward-thinking non-profit, and, though hectic at times, the work/workload is meaningful and gratifying. There is a great inter-office atmosphere, and input, criticism, and critique is expected/encouraged from all level of employee.

Cons

Goals/timelines are not always clearly defined, particularly for projects considered to be lower on the scale of EWG priorities. This isn't ideal when the project considered to be low priority is yours. Executive team is difficult to get in touch with, primarily because they are off-campus regularly for meetings, events, etc.

5. "Great organization to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

EWG covers important issues that make a difference in people's lives. My input is heard and taken into consideration. We change directions a lot, but that is one of our greatest strengths.

Cons

That same strength can be frustrating when you have put time into a project and then we are told we are moving to another that is more important.

6. "Good place to intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Environmental Working Group as an intern

Pros

-Met lots of people involved in environmental movement
    -Got to experience all aspects of working at a DC nonprofit

Cons

-Not given a lot of independence as an intern

7. "Staff is not be trusted"

I worked at Environmental Working Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work life balance, on site shower

Cons

too much strange upper management drama

8. "Fast paced but fulfilling work"

I have been working at Environmental Working Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Never a boring moment at EWG. We work on important topics that help the public every day.

Cons

Would be nice to focus more\deeper

Advice to Management

Need better project management