Envision Experience Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Envision Experience CEO Duncan Young
Duncan Young

Pros
  • The people who work at Envision are creative and extremely hardworking (in 4 reviews)

• Traveling, Great People to Work With, Food, Adventure (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • some days are not planned with the scholars in mind (extremely long hours) (in 22 reviews)

• Low pay about 20-30 under average (in 7 reviews)

"Haven't met anyone who enjoys working here's"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Envision Experience full-time

Pros

60 dollar cell reimbursement
    " Some" nice people
    1 wfh day after 6 months
    No deductable PPO

Cons

Low pay about 20-30 under average
    Long hours
    Unorganized
    Some people do the work of an entire department.
    Marketing machine that only cares about profits not students or people that work here
    Unorganized top down management.
    Micro managers - CEO, directors and VPs
    Understaffed

Advice to Management

Hire more people and stop micromanaging. Focus on lifetime value for your students in stead of bottom lines.

Envision Experience Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Recruiter

We're sorry to hear that you're feeling less than valued, but we thank you for your feedback. As always, our HR department would be happy to speak with you and/or you may email questions and feedback ... More

"Don't do it"

Pros

Great medical benefits
    Can work remote

Cons

-Terrible management at the highest level. The company does not care about its employees or doing the right thing.
    -No matching 401k
    -Low pay & long hours

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and be more respectful

Envision Experience Response

Jan 2, 2017 – Recruiter

We're sorry to hear of your negative experience. If you have insight to share or if you'd be able to elaborate more, we'd love to hear it. Please feel free to email us at ... More

"Company should be audited, Where is the UNION!"

Former Employee - Program Office Assistant
    Former Employee - Program Office Assistant

Pros

It allows you to travel to different cities around the US.
    They provide living arrangements and meals(sometimes) for each site.
    Co-workers are very nice and fun to be around.
    Negotiable pay because they are desperate for employees

Cons

Extreme lack of leadership and organization.
    Does not pay on time.
    Work 12 to 16 hour works days with no breaks.
    You may have to track your work hours on a sheet of paper because they forgot to give you access to the database to log your hours properly.
    No work life balance. You will rarely get an opportunity to explore the city.
    Does not keep track of reimbursements.

Advice to Management

Guarantee training for all employees
    Only place qualified and experience people in leadership roles
    Guarantee employee are able to log their hours in the data base
    Pay employees what they are owed, ON TIME!
    Listen to employee concerns.
    Understand that your employees are human and should be valued and treated with respect.
    The students aren't learning anything and several parents complain

"Poor morale, cost-cutting emblematic of decline"

I worked at Envision Experience full-time

Pros

Nice people for the most part, good location

Cons

Finance runs firm with an iron fist, no loyalty to employees and little appreciation of good work. Loss of long term employees and reliance on contractors show the bottom line matters more than building a cohesive and motivated team.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with financial expectations, respect your long term employees and be open and honest about organizational challenges, strategy and changes.

6. "Worked 80+ hours with kids and never had a background check"

Former Contractor - Faculty Advisor
    Former Contractor - Faculty Advisor

I worked at Envision Experience as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

there were none. Absolutely none. But since this requires a 20 word minimum of the "pros" I guess I could say it was really easy to get a job working for them and I didn't even have a background check! Yup, I worked 80+ hours a week with middle schoolers without a background check.

Cons

Where to even begin.... long hours (did I mention more than 80 per week yet?) clueless management (to say the least).... This was by far the worst job I have ever had in my entire life. We lost multiple team members before the actual end of our program. Many of the faculty advisors got drunk while kids were on campus.

Advice to Management

I will never in my life recommend a friend, colleague, or student to this program. This program needs to be shut down.

7. "Enjoyed It...Until I Was Arbitrarily Declared Ineligible for Rehire"

Former Contractor - Faculty Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Faculty Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Envision Experience as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding work, fun opportunities to go on tours and working with scholars, great coworkers, wonderful supervisors, hotel stay, and paid meals.

Cons

Absolutely the worst HR department I have ever seen in my life. Company also made its FTEs perform double and triple duties, as a result important tasks like HR and Program Management were neglected. I found the cons tolerable until I was arbitrarily declared ineligible for rehire by the HR Department. The HR Department didn't inform me of this until 2 months had passed of unemployment, and I had expected to return to the company. I was informed that I was ineligible for rehire because of a complaint from a parent, but the complaint was never substantiated- and this was because the HR Department was "overworked." This decision absolutely destroyed my finances and future job prospects for four months, catapulting me into unemployment. This was devastating, considering that I had stellar reviews from coworkers, supervisors, and scholars. Not only that, my supervisors were never informed of any complaints about me- HR just kept it to themselves.

I would like to give the company a better review, but the cons are absolutely unforgiveable.

Advice to Management

Improve your HR Department. Don't make employees pull double duties so they focus on their primary tasks. Improve and update your program curriculum- as your National Security program curriculum was in some cases, a full 10 years out of date. The faculty advisor training could have been far better regarding the course material and a lot of the scholars felt that they had been overcharged.

"Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at Envision Experience as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The scholars really enjoy themselves during conference. You can really see the young minds developing in front of your eyes.

Cons

Working for Envision was literally the worst decision of my life. A lot of the employees have personal friendships and relationships so there is a divide between new employees and existing employees. The existing employees are condescending, passive aggressive and rude. There's a sharp disconnect between upper management and field staff and the communication is almost non existing. Managers are not where they are supposed to be so questions about urgent issues take a long time to be answered. I've never felt so disrespected so many times in one job. Overall, I hated working here.

Advice to Management

Be better at your job. Communicate with your field staffers. Programs are organized by people who, for the most part have never worked one so a lot of the policies and procedures just don't make sense.

"Program manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Envision Experience full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was great to work for years ago but it no longer the organization that it once was. Can be a great opportunity for students when done correctly.

Cons

Overworked and grossly underpaid. No respect for work-life balance and a senior management team that had no regard for their teams. Concerns from managers and coordinators and rarely addressed, if ever. Constant changes in structure and policy and cutting corners had lead to significant staffing issues as well as programmatic issues.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring issues and playing the seniority card, the individuals who work for this organization are competent and hardworking but years of financial and managerial mismanagement had lead to employees leaving and lack of organizational steadiness.

"Incompetent Senior Leadership"

Pros

The programs are great exposure for students

Cons

miscommunication between departments
    layoffs yearly
    little benefits
    terrible work life balance working entire summers and not given discretionary days
    constant changing of CEOs (multiple per year)

"Poor Leadership"

Pros

There are a lot of good people here and the mission of the company is a good one.

Cons

There is a significant lack of good leadership, the compensation is not not enough and a large number of layoffs has led to too much work for too few people.