Enviva Reviews | Glassdoor

John Keppler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Logistics Coordinator"

I have been working at Enviva full-time

Pros

great environment, helpful bosses, interesting location

Cons

tolls, outside temps can be hot/cold

"Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Catered Lunches and Snacks

Cons

Long Hours, very intense and high turnover

"Fast paced, Fast growing Company"

Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Promotions, and an Okay pay for Newer Facilities

Cons

Newer Facilities tend to have Managers with no experience or are hired due to who they know. the hours you work and the way you rotate shifts every 2 weeks is rough.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fair and with respect it goes a long way

"Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has vision, and is scaling for it's continued growth.

I have seen companies whose employees are down right miserable and the company simply not care. But Enviva, is growing and management's focus seems to be healthy. They recognize a need for quality over quantity from the employees. That sounds almost politically correct. But it's true. My association with the employees at corporate show a proud dedication. It's true that as a company grows, things may seem chaotic at times, as the business policies and practices grow with it.

I am glad to be part of the team! I see a determination to look out for employee safety, career growth, and a genuine focus on the bottom up.

The weekly Lunch-n-Learn sessions are awesome. HR really pulls together to make things happen. The information infrastructure is very mature. The lengths the company goes to nurturing career growth is top rate.

Cons

As the company grows it's easy for people to lose focus, employees tend to feel like they aren't recognized but in reality they are keeping the wheels turning. Recognition is nice, but every step forward an employee makes helps. So don't get lost in thinking your not appreciated. Employees where hired to help make the company a success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Lunch-n-Learn initiative. Keep safety foremost as you currently do, and remember sometimes employees might not feel like they are contributing, or feel like they might not be recognized. But from what I have seen I believe management strives to improve and solicit ideas on how to perform better.

Continue to stay focused.

I am glad to be part of the team.

"Bad Accounting/Finance Department Structure"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promising company. Free nice snacks, Friday free lunch. Free parking or metro assistance.

Cons

Endless work partially due to micromanagement and lack of manpower. More accounting directors than accounting managers, lack of senior and staff accountants, almost full turnover of APs. Even directors work on a lot of data entry, is not that so funny? The 401K match vest only after 3 years employment.

Advice to Management

Controller has too old fashioned management. Hire more senior and staff accountants, you do not need that much accounting directors and managers.

"Director"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

Growth Opportunity, Challenge, Compensation, Benefits

Cons

Centralized decision making, limited processes and procedures

"Crash and Burn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Enviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

About 5 out 60 employees are real.. great snacks, christmas parties, benefits, and free gym.

Cons

Alot of bullying from certain departments, and No Loyalty no matter how long you have been with the company. Backstabbing is common like getting a drink of coffee everyday, and as long as you dont mind being used with no recognition then this is the perfect job for you.

Advice to Management

Try actually appreciating the little people whom helps you shine, and hire people for what they know not who they know.

"Useless"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, office location is great.

Cons

This company is absolutely useless. Their management is so terrible that they are willing to let go of their good employees, because they are too dumb to get their heads out of their behinds. It's absolutely awful. Working for this company is a waste of time. They truly need to clean house, starting at the top. Pathetic, inefficient, and all around clueless. Senior management are the biggest culprits in this entire hot mess.

Advice to Management

No need to give advice, they simply don't listen to it. They don't care about the company as long as they get their fat paychecks for doing absolutely nothing worth anyone's time.

"Ringling Brothers Circus is Back"

I have been working at Enviva full-time

Pros

- Convenient location to the metro
    - Challenging work
    - Great lunch options in the area
    - Decent benefits

But hey, if you work in the DC metro area, none of these things are special

Cons

It's the world's greatest "show" on earth ladies and gents. The circus never retired. You can now catch a live performance daily at Enviva every Monday through Friday. Grab your tickets, your popcorn, your cotton candy and come to be entertained.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. You're incapable of viewing your people as assets.

If you're an applicant with this organization, run away immediately.

If you're a current employee at Enviva, cut your losses now and get out now. It's not worth it. I'm working on my next steps now.

If you're a former employee, lucky you.

"Room for Improvement"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

I want to point out that this review has everything to do with my own personal experience. While I think this company has a lot to work on (it's still relatively young), there are definitely some positives to working there as well.

I had the opportunity to work with some amazing leaders and co-workers. There are some brilliant minds at Enviva, and I was lucky to have learned so much in the amount of time I worked there.

Like mostly everyone else said, they have a great snack selection in the office. There are plenty of good restaurants / takeout options that are close by. The metro stop is just a couple minute walk up the street.

Cons

Communication between departments / teams is sometimes lacking.

There isn't much assistance when it comes to on-boarding and training, but I know that is one thing they are focusing on going forward.

High turnover that causes people to be overworked, and there isn't much work-life balance (in some departments). For me personally, there were some weeks where I felt like I couldn't catch up, but others were more manageable. It's a younger company, and longer hours come with the territory. My managers knew when I was stressed and had a lot on my plate, but they recognized my hard work, which could be lacking in other departments.

Advice to Management

Take the time to learn about the people who work for you, and recognize their hard work when you see it. I get that everyone is busy, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds to show your appreciation.

Learn that not everything has to be so serious.

DC is a very transient city and getting to know people can be tough if you're new. Have more cross-departmental outings / celebrations outside of work so people can get to know each other and their new surroundings.