Enviva Reviews | Glassdoor

John Keppler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Room for Improvement"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

I want to point out that this review has everything to do with my own personal experience. While I think this company has a lot to work on (it's still relatively young), there are definitely some positives to working there as well.

I had the opportunity to work with some amazing leaders and co-workers. There are some brilliant minds at Enviva, and I was lucky to have learned so much in the amount of time I worked there.

Like mostly everyone else said, they have a great snack selection in the office. There are plenty of good restaurants / takeout options that are close by. The metro stop is just a couple minute walk up the street.

Cons

Communication between departments / teams is sometimes lacking.

There isn't much assistance when it comes to on-boarding and training, but I know that is one thing they are focusing on going forward.

High turnover that causes people to be overworked, and there isn't much work-life balance (in some departments). For me personally, there were some weeks where I felt like I couldn't catch up, but others were more manageable. It's a younger company, and longer hours come with the territory. My managers knew when I was stressed and had a lot on my plate, but they recognized my hard work, which could be lacking in other departments.

Advice to Management

Take the time to learn about the people who work for you, and recognize their hard work when you see it. I get that everyone is busy, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds to show your appreciation.

Learn that not everything has to be so serious.

DC is a very transient city and getting to know people can be tough if you're new. Have more cross-departmental outings / celebrations outside of work so people can get to know each other and their new surroundings.

"Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Perkinston, MS
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Perkinston, MS

I worked at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enviva is a great company to work for. The benefits are amazing.

Cons

My experience was very positive.

"The Carpet does NOT match the Curtains!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• There is free parking for expensive-to-get-around-in Bethesda, which is nice.
    • There are numerous FREE snacks for employees to encourage them to stay late or on campus during lunch. That's extremely thoughtful and increases productivity, and there really is a nice selection of healthy and considerate options, that are rotated regularly.
    • Bathrooms are cleanly, and luxurious places to hang out and/or do your "business" in.

Cons

• There is a major war of competing corporate egos going on from the top down. I have joined the company recently, and already I feel like it's time to leave. It is a toxic environment created by narcissistic maniacs with overinflated egos.
    • Employees are routinely sandbagged, where tasks appear to go unmonitored and with no feedback, yet rapidly spiral into employee beratement and dismissal, because supervisors fail to manage effectively.
    • There is a chronic inability to accept blame when things go awry. People in my department blame other departments and certain VPs are like vicious attacking dobermans.
    • It is outwardly a congenial and happy place, yet just below the surface, it is a festering nightmare. Morale is the lowest imaginable and I can see the look of dread on my fellow employees' faces.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "Old Boy's Club". Some of these guys don't have a clue how to operate in a medium-size public company and need to return to their frathouses. Try to become the image you are publicly projecting. Get off your pedestal and prove you know how to lead effectively. The secret police stuff and wiretapping of phones needs to cease immediately!

"Work hard, be respected"

Pros

Helpful management team if you are willing to listen and learn

Cons

environment is muddy and needs more concrete

"The ELEPHANTS in the room"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just about the same as written in previous reviews...

Cons

The discrimination in this organization is rampant (race and gender). One previous review mentioned this, but didn't go into detail. Diversity is lacking; females in top positions is lacking- and the few that are in top positions aren't taken as seriously as their male colleagues. Obviously the organization is running an adult day care center since we're all heavily monitored and scrutinized as to why we would talk to one another privately, and heaven forbid you're talking behind closed doors!! Its laughable, and scary, HR doesn't know the BASIC creeds of HR; its even more insane people find the time to continually waltz through the office minding everyone's business or busying oneself with activities not related to your position.
    There's NO opportunity for growth, in the vast majority of positions; employees aren't truly valued; disrespect was always on display!

Advice to Management

Take a look at all the previous advice given and govern yourself accordingly. Remember: people do have lives outside of the office and I'm willing to bet people will leave and take a cut in salary to have work life balance!

"Time For A New Beginning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parking and metro access provided, access to neighborhood fitness club; great places to have lunch/dinner; office snacks offered are great, as they are rotated and accommodate a little something for everyone.

Cons

As it has become more evident that employees are frustrated, disappointed and miserable, solutions need to take hold now. Work-life-balance does not exist here. Long hours, mismanaged and too many meetings every day; departmental blame against others; taking time off is difficult for many - one feels that they are unable to as a result of the work demands. There is a loss of trust and confidence in the executive management team. There is not substantial opportunity for growth and advancement within. Many employees feel devalued, unrecognized, disregards, overworked without a work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Executive Management really needs to reprioritize matters and take on the contents of the many writings in Glass Door as serious and see to it that a new alignment takes hold now. Just as you plan accordingly to travel on international business, take time to create solutions in order to make a difference. There are many talented individuals that have come through... many we have lost is either due to an individual decision to leave the company or by way of burnout and then asked to leave. How can it be acceptable by leaders to allow all of the previous written concerns voiced by many to continue?.

HR management is just as responsible as those that sit behind the glass. A realignment is a must - new strategies and fresh visions are very much needed. Hallways, doors, offices and workstations do not need to be monitored (who is doing what or adding to conversations already in progress), we are all adults here. Damage control is needed to offset the negative comments. Alignment is needed for the betterment of the company. Refocus on what is really needed to bring in the best talented candidates (setup for success and engagement). Enviva should be committed to ensuring that a new hire will have everything needed for success from day one and beyond. They must feel that they are welcomed and regarded.

Let's get this done or you will have available offices and workstations - plenty of space for new hires.

7. "Great place to work!"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work where you will learn a ton from some really smart people. High-growth environment with plenty of expansion opportunities. Great benefits.

Cons

No major cons in my opinion

"A mixed bag"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

Interesting new industry. Smart, talented co-workers. Great benefits package.

Cons

Oh boy, plenty. Negative, toxic corporate culture. Senior management think they're being funny when they're actually being mean. Most people don't feel they have any job security and are fearful of being fired for minor transgressions. Paranoia is rampant - big brother is always watching. I dreaded going to the office every day I worked there.

Advice to Management

Try to cultivate people so they want to make Enviva their employer for life instead of grinding them up/burning them out and either firing them or driving them to quit.

"Dynamic Company"

Pros

Fast-growing company. Hard work is valued and if you have the attention of management, opportunity for promotion and professional advancement.

Cons

C-suite executives are command-and-control micro managers. Make one mistake and you're done.

Advice to Management

The company is in a growth market but feels a little like it operates in the past and does not apply basic best practices to talent management. Need to focus on diversity, listening to a wide range of opinions, and doing the hard work of investing people to build a strong and productive corporate culture.

"Poor culture"

I have been working at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package for all employees

Cons

Upper management has no regard for work life balance or career progression.