Enviva Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Enviva Chairman and CEO John Keppler
John Keppler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company offers free parking and a wide array of yummy snacks in lieu of salary" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great lunch options in the area" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is hard especially in the back remote systems" (in 12 reviews)

• "Absolutely no work life balance" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing company"

I have been working at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Enviva over a year now and have to say it is constantly changing as it scales with its growth. The change presents an incredible opportunity for those that are career minded. They aren't afraid to make decisions and are very focused on the health and safety of the employee. Human resources has been a fantastic resource for nuturing career growth. They have been evolving over the past year, with a certain determination. The company holds quarterly meetings internationally to keep all employees up to date and encourages feedback from employees to help it make the best choices going forward.

Cons

Growth means constant change. As with any company you have employees at different levels of expertise, and experience in the corporate world. The hardest thing for an employee is to realize they are an important piece of the company's success. Then take that realization, and apply themselves as team players, recognizing that everyone on the team has their part to play, and are important as well.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay focused, and continue utilizing the quarterly meetings to keep everyone aligned with corporate goals. This is a great company.

2. "Getting Better Every Day"

I have been working at Enviva full-time

Pros

Going to work every day for a company that is focused on creating real change and helping lower our carbon footprint is meaningful to me and I enjoy working with people who are passionate and focused. I have felt that Enviva has offered an incredible opportunity to learn, and I am given a lot of autonomy in my work. The people I work with are awesome, there have been some big changes, especially in the past year, but overall for the better. This is not the company or work environment it used to be, things are changing and not everyone likes it but it is for the best. Salaries are very good, and benefits are great. While no functions are completely remote, the opportunity to work from home occasionally is nice. Yes, the company provides free food, but I also feel heard as an employee and there is progress toward implementing a new performance management system. New management has made a lot of positive progress and will continue to do so, I feel this is a great time to be here and things will only continue to improve.

Cons

Expectations are high, this is a very driven group and the workload can be a lot but this was something my team was upfront about right off the bat. The office is expanding so office space is limited and teams are all over the place.

Advice to Management

It would be great to evaluate if some positions could be done completely remotely in addition to offering occasional work from home options.

3. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Operator in Ahoskie, NC
    Current Employee - Operator in Ahoskie, NC

I have been working at Enviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits company paid health, life, s/l term disability insurance. Dental and vision available for minimal rate. 401K match. Company often gives employees Enviva gear ( shirts, hats, coats etc) to boost moral. Company provides meals every holiday, outage, and to celebrate goal achievements. Pay rate is above average compared to almost all competition in the area ( at least the area I work). Paid Holidays and time and a half for worked holidays. Yearly cost of living wage increase. Every other Friday, Sat, and Sun off. Management is approachable.

Cons

Swing shift work, two weeks day shift two weeks night shift. 12 hour shifts, but on a rotation that allows 14 days off per month. Plant operates 365 days a year, not shut down for major holidays. Not much promoting from within. They tend to hire from the outside, rather than develop the employees already working for them. Also when an employee performs especially well in a certain job position, they tend to keep you stuck in that position for their benefit rather than allow you to move up to a better position. Then don't reward you with raises to show appreciation for excellent performance, where you would have got a pay increase moving to that higher position that they keep you from doing.

Advice to Management

Work on developing current employees to set them up to take higher roles instead of hiring off the street.

"Employee"

I worked at Enviva full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities and helpful supervisors

Cons

not that I can think of

"Turning over a new leaf"

I have been working at Enviva full-time

Pros

I have worked in the Bethesda office for a few years and the company now is entirely different from the one where I started... and that's a good thing! It took time to get here, but management has been focused on righting the ship at the corporate level by hiring good people and putting structures in place to give some method to the company's insane growth. At it's core, some things have not changed. This is still a mission driven company filled with people who want to succeed. Yes, the workload can be overwhelming at times, but I feel like my bosses were honest with me about that from the beginning. Other pros:

-Salaries are at/above market
    -Great perks (location, fancy offices, parking, free lunches, etc.)
    -Starting to provide some guidance/career path

Cons

Those of us who have been with the company for a year+ have seen some tough times. There were some very necessary changes in senior management, but that resulted in shaky ground while departments were rebuilt and org structures changed. And I questioned why some of those people were allowed to stick around as long as they did.

There has undeniably been a lot of turnover -- involuntary and people leaving because they were unhappy with direct manager, the rapid pace of change, heavy workload, etc.. Will need to see if that's something that will change with time too.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the path you're currently on, recognize and celebrate people who are doing their jobs well (we need to keep the good ones!), and continue to root out problems at the highest levels when they come up. A lot of us believe in this company and want to see it do well!!

6. "Growing Company with a Positive Future Ahead!"

I have been working at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great time to be an employee at Enviva. Lots of exciting growth opportunities and changes coming with a solid leadership team in place. The career opportunities can be numerous if you come in and work hard. Smart/Hard work is rewarded. Lots of caring people in this company that really seem to focus on what matters while getting rid of some of the bad from the past.

Cons

There are going to be some bumps along the way as the company continues to grow but if you weigh the positives, the negatives seem minor. With growth comes change and not everyone likes change.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on the people and continue to be honest and up front with all employees.

"Great Place"

I have been working at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly office, free snacks and lunch, beautiful building. Great location and free parking in HQ. You cant get anything more. The management cares for the employees. It is great.

Cons

I have not noticed any, all is great!

"Functional Leader"

Current Employee - Functional Leader in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Functional Leader in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make an impact in a fast growing organization. Exposure and experiences along with growth offers great career development.

Strong mission and care for employees who are committed to the mission and values of the organization.

Good benefits, nice location and perks (parking or public transportation, fitness, etc.)

Cons

Opportunity to evolve systems, processes and technology outside of manufacturing.

Have to be willing to help build some foundational elements from the ground up, can be challenging and rewarding.

Advice to Management

Maintain pulse on culture and continue to find ways to source feedback from employees and communicate regularly within the organization.

"Not quite as bad as everyone says it is. But bad."

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Enviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers free parking and a wide array of yummy snacks in lieu of salary.

Cons

I have worked at Enviva for less than 2 years, and don't have a clear job description. My supervisor gave me a list of copy about how great the company is and ordered me to go on job sites like Glassdoor and post as many positive reviews as I can. This is not honest behavior and I just can't do it any longer or I will have a panic attack.

Advice to Management

The HR department is a liar. Do better and make a good company instead of lying. Liar!

"Caring Company"

Current Employee - New Hire in Greenwood, SC
    Current Employee - New Hire in Greenwood, SC

I have been working at Enviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've not worked for Enviva very long but since hired what I've noticed about this company is the stewardship, compassion and heartfelt concern this company has for it's employees and communities. Everything from employee engagement events, Enviva reaching out and helping others impacted by hurricanes by providing, food, water, supplies, etc.... I've never worked for a company that cares so much!

Cons

I have seen no cons so far.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and work together to fix concerns, issues. When employees see their concerns are being addressed promptly, they know you care and will continue to be loyal.