Envoy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dick Burke

Pros
  • The company culture and my coworkers are amazing (in 4 reviews)

• I personally love the catered lunches, monthly happy hours with the CEO, as well as the VISANOW trivia nights and diners club (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • but no one on the leadership team knows how to capture it (in 5 reviews)

• Have had two mass layoffs of sales people - both just before Christmas - leading to poor morale (in 5 reviews)

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've been when Envoy for about two years now as an Account Executive. I've had an opportunity to be promoted twice while being on the ride of a typical start-up. The commission plan is good and you can very well clear 6 figures in your first year. Leadership is great with little turnover on the senior management team --which is great. There is an actual need for the product, so if you are hungry to sell, you will be rewarded.

Cons

We are still working to development middle management and create extra resources which comes along with the growth of a start up.

Advice to Management

Bring back the healthy snacks and maybe put a protein bar in the cafeteria. Cheezits are so 1997.

"A diamond in the rough"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Envoy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Envoy has really passionate, smart people. It feels like we're all facing in the same direction now and we understand how each department's goals and activities tie into our overall success. The industry is super hot right now in HR tech and immigration - great to be leading the way.

Cons

Not a well-oiled machine just yet, but that's the fun of a startup. There's always an opportunity to make meaningful improvements for the business and the employees.

Advice to Management

More consistent meetings and agendas. Help us understand some of the business strategies and how our daily activities impact the business and other teams.

"Nothing is Perfect, but this is far from awful."

I have been working at Envoy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Loop Location, Fitness center in building, Lots of food choices, catered meals and snacks/La Croix.

This is a startup.

For the most part this company is full of passionate employees who really want to help launch this amazing software. We have gone through a lot in the past year and a half and the company, especially in sales had made MANY mistakes which is not the best way to keep people happy and writing glowing reviews.

The biggest pro is that they try to learn from them. The CEO cares and is highly invested, the management team really want you to succeed and inter department working is really easy which is rare. For sales if you do what management asks, do the dials, go on the meetings, you will make money. End of story.

Cons

Its getting a lot better but for a long time there was an air of negativity, it was fun to hate on the company that pays your bills. Its on the up and up but still exists in some people here.

Advice to Management

Be as transparent as possible as to why the changes that have been made were made. Make it clear why decisions had to occur and what the process is going forward, it seems after 2 years the place is finally settling into a flow which is only going to move the company forward. ALSO, call out achievements, no one likes it when the same 4 people get rewarded and called out all the time, everyone is doing good work.

5. "New Year, New Name, Focused on Helping Customers"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Envoy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Envoy is evolving as a business and management is constantly seeking feedback via surveys and individual interactions. Office amenities are nice: snacks, bevs, standing desks, company lunches, open floor plan, easy access to management and other departments. Platform has improved greatly with recent launch of 3.0. Fantastic teamwork and empathy exposed during recent EO regarding travel bans. Fitness center in building. Close to Loop

Cons

Change is hard, resisting change is harder for everyone. If you can't get on board, find something else that makes your heart smile.

Advice to Management

Aligned communication is key. I'm grateful for the opportunity to work for a company that makes a difference for people.

"NOT Alternative Facts"

I have been working at Envoy full-time

Pros

Most of the people are really nice... that much is true

They do have a location in the Loop with amenities, snacks, bevs, etc... just like every other aspiring tech company

Cons

The CEO and leadership team are really invested... in making a profit at any cost, and usually at your expense

There is huge market potential... but no one on the leadership team knows how to capture it

It is not a startup (it has been around for almost 20 years and was profitable before the change in leadership)... calling it a startup is an excuse to justify the lack of direction and frequent change

There was an air of negativity for a long time... until a lot of the people were laid off, found better jobs, or quit without a job just to escape, now the people left don't bother speaking up

They do want employees to be "on board" through the ups and downs (mostly downs)... and if you are not, instead of listening to your feedback, you will be encouraged to go work somewhere that "makes your heart smile"

The leadership team is very transparent... you can read their "helpful" 5 star reviews below

Advice to Management

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Envoy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with - good atmosphere with the usual perks

Cons

Mega cold calling. Have had two mass layoffs of sales people - both just before Christmas - leading to poor morale.

Advice to Management

Give more slack to the salespeople that you train and who put in the effort. A few months of a slump and you get the boot.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Envoy (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, people were great to work with! A lot of learning opportunities which allowed for you to stay up-to-date on topics and trends.

Cons

A lot of the accounts had already been claimed by senior representatives and therefore you needed to source a lot of new business yourself.

Advice to Management

Be more clear with your employees in regards to goals and find a better way to distribute leads/accounts.

"No"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Envoy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the leadership.

Cons

Recently took a job in sales and it was a mistake. Very weird environment. I am sure no one is doing even good.

"Stepping Stone"

I have been working at Envoy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is a good stepping stone to get experience working in a startup. Cross-functional collaboration and working outside the scope of your job description is encouraged and most of the time needed. This will give you good experience, and will make you attractive to other companies.

Cons

No long term opportunities, and you can't have a career working here but it's a good first job to go elsewhere afterwards.

Advice to Management

Praise and appreciate those that are still here. They definitely deserve it.

"Changing, adapting, still figuring it out"

I have been working at Envoy full-time

Pros

Product is very well-reviewed by customers, is actually making the visa application process better for people
    Coworkers are generally smart and hard-working (some exceptions apply)
    My manager and other managers/execs have backed me up when I needed it and given me opportunities I may not have had elsewhere
    Company has lots of potential-->growth opportunities if company grows
    Good VC firm
    Office location and design are pretty stellar
    Snacks, duh

There has been a lot of change, and obviously some people are upset about that. Regarding job security, my sense is that most of the recent turnover has been a result of:

1. company adapting strategy (for example, focusing more on marketing and product development (so people actually want to buy it) instead of cold calling to land new accounts (HR professionals are not receptive to cold calling if they don't know what your product is!))
    2. people finding things they would rather do--fine by me, just go and be happy
    3. a (sometimes mutual) decision that it wasn't a good fit

I would be more worried if the company were stagnant and kept trying the same thing over and over again without getting the desired results. Then we all would be out of a job. I'm glad the company is adapting and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't--it is painful in the short term, but I hope it will be better in the long run.

Cons

Lots of work to be done, feels like too much at times
    I drink too much Diet Coke, ugh
    Company feels like a startup...bad if you don't like change
    Company has been around for 18 years now and has very little market share...frustrating that it is taking so long (some will view this as a pro since there is potential for growth, I suppose)
    Big learning curve--challenging when a lot of employees are new
    Negative people on some teams and lots of gossiping--gets annoying very quickly, have to figure out a way to distance yourself from it

Advice to Management

Provide more employee recognition for employees who do fantastic work that tends to go unnoticed--some people feel overlooked, and the company is small enough where that shouldn't be the case.