Ephrata Community Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Emergency Room Nurse Aide"

Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Ephrata, PA
    Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Ephrata, PA

I worked at Ephrata Community Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Great nursing staff to work with here. Brand new emergency room which has all state of the art emergency equipment

Cons

There was minimal pay increase for performance in this position. Some drama present in the ER that can sometimes hinder productivity.

2. "Registration Specialist for One Year, Switchboard One Year"

Current Employee - Switchboard Operator in Ephrata, PA
    Current Employee - Switchboard Operator in Ephrata, PA

I have been working at Ephrata Community Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits package and competitive hourly rates

Cons

Devastatingly poor management in both the Registration and Switchboard departments. Rampant disorganization, severely inadequate training, and frequent corporate pettiness result in an employment engagement of only 19% and very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Vet your middle management much more thoroughly to ensure leadership skills. Perform efficiency audits for supervisors and utilize entry-level staff for reviews. I've watched so many intelligent and motivated staff leave positions due to weak management - and its painful to watch such qualified employees leave.

Examples of poor leadership that I have personally witnessed in both departments with multiple staff:

1. Scapegoating entry-level staff to escape accountability for managerial mistakes.
    2. Overt favoritism
    3. Supervisors taking credit for staff ideas
    4. Supervisors heavily reprimanding staff based on personality traits and not job performance
    5. Supervisors committing time theft and altering records to cover up personal tardiness
    6. Supervisors disregarding input from staff and not validating their feelings or suggestions, even when they are very good
    7. Supervisors behaving territorially and reactively instead of collaborating with their staff and other departments
    8. A heavy bias towards seniority that negatively impacts the job
    9. Convoluted and sometimes even incomplete policies that contradict each other
    10. Spotty training with excessive consequences when staff make inevitable mistakes
    11. Calling in staff at absolute last minute to require schedule changes, and making schedule changes without notifying staff then reprimanding staff for not showing up

Overall, working here has been a painfully frustrating experience. People are promoted because of who they know, regardless of suitability. The systems and policies are dangerously scattered and disorganized, and frankly put patients in danger. I've witnessed several egregious occasions when patients' welfare has been recklessly ignored because of laziness and pettiness.
    I continually submit anonymous feedback to our compliance line, because I have been openly punished for pointing out faulty policies that put patients in danger. I've watched my boss question my fellow coworkers to ferret out who "squealed" so I'm well aware of backlash for whistle blowing.

I've been repeatedly denied career advancement despite my credentials and am currently looking for employment somewhere that values ethics over ego.

"Radiology Department"

Former Employee - Healthcare Radiologic Technologist in Terre Hill, PA
    Former Employee - Healthcare Radiologic Technologist in Terre Hill, PA

I worked at Ephrata Community Hospital part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Starting to upgrade out worn out machines and portable equipment.

Cons

Female coworkers act like they are in High School yet. There are clicks, one with management and one without. Favortism and nepotism are huge factors when a position opens.

Advice to Management

Don't pick favorites

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New Holland, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New Holland, PA

I have been working at Ephrata Community Hospital part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

small town hospital feel, friendly employees

Cons

low pay, management not so great

6. "Landscaper"

Pros

Great company to work with

Cons

Don't have anything negative to say

7. "cna"

Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Frankford, DE
    Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in Frankford, DE

I have been working at Ephrata Community Hospital (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work, supporting staff

Cons

Not rewarded not comp d nsated

Advice to Management

Be more available

"Very stressful"

Current Employee - Med-surg RN in Ephrata, PA
    Current Employee - Med-surg RN in Ephrata, PA

I have been working at Ephrata Community Hospital part-time

Pros

Insurance and retirement benefits are average

Cons

Under-staffed; low morale amongst workers; high patient-nurse ratio; staff RNs have no voice

Advice to Management

Give the floor nurses a voice.

"Consider other options."

Current Employee - Paramedic in Ephrata, PA
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Ephrata, PA

I have been working at Ephrata Community Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Some good people.

Cons

Management.
    Human resources.
    No communications.
    Hostile.
    Low pay.
    No work/life balance.

Departments laid off with very little to no notice makes everyone nervous as Wellspan already laid off some paramedics already in York. And now an EMS department has been disbanded.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees from all levels. Don't have separate meetings for an entire department. "Oh some people can't make it to the meeting?? Well they'll find out". No let them have a say.

"Great people to work with. Pay is below industry standard."

Current Employee - IT Worker in Ephrata, PA
    Current Employee - IT Worker in Ephrata, PA

Pros

The people are great, Very friendly / caring

Cons

Recently merged with Wellspan Health. Values do not match. Wellspan is much more the Big Corporate attitude and it is infecting Ephrata.

Advice to Management

Ephrata Management needs to reverse the infection to instead make Wellspan a friendly / caring place to work.

11. "Great people work at Ephrata Hospital"

Former Employee - Technologist in Ephrata, PA
    Former Employee - Technologist in Ephrata, PA

I worked at Ephrata Community Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best parts of working for Ephrata Hospital are the compassionate care givers working for the hospital. Some people give everything. These people can make things happen for great patient care.

Cons

Some people came there to be comfortable. They have stayed too long. Therefore everything returns to way it use to be. They are non engaged especially after 6:00 PM Weekends and holidays.

Advice to Management

Work with best practices and work with credentialed people. Respect the people who actually are hands on managers.