Epic Reviews | Glassdoor

Epic Founder and CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner
1,202 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay, amazing coworkers, high levels of autonomy" (in 125 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is manageable" (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's difficult to manage the work life balance at times, but it is up to the employee to manage this for themselves" (in 318 reviews)

• "Can be long hours sometimes - I've had a few weeks of over 50 hours" (in 188 reviews)

"Awesome work and pay, better than AmaGoogSoft/etc in many ways"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ You get to work on software that has a positive impact on the world, including saving lives and making patient care better / making doctors' lives easier, as opposed to writing some BS business software like you might have to do at other companies, even the top tech companies (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc)
    + The interviews don't seem to require much algo/data structure memorization like you'd see at the other tech companies anyway, or specific languages/tech stacks you used, they're more based on behavioral Q's and passion for healthcare
    + Perks are top-notch, especially health plan, as they should be since we're in the medical software industry, also the pay for devs is amazing (I had a BS degree in compsci with a few internships and my starting salary was $95k with an additional $10k moving bonus -- I'm paying about $1k rent per month for a studio apt outside the city, so compare all those numbers to living and working in San Francisco, Seattle, or any of those other big tech cities)
    + You'll work at least 40 hrs/week, I'd say probably 43-45 on average, but depending on your team and manager you will only generally work closer to 50 if there's a bit of stress on your team, or more if there's a serious crunch but I haven't really seen that happen. Usually it's in the lower-to-mid 40's, which is really nice compared to getting stuck working 50-60 hrs regularly for Google or Microsoft or other big-co's. (yeah I know that doesn't always happen either, and lots of people at those companies do get 40-hour weeks, but they also have oncall duty and more crunches in general) You can work more if you want, which usually helps you move up the management ladder faster if you're interested in that -- I've seen managers with only a year of experience out of college just because they worked so hard and succeeded with a lot of responsibilities. But to move up to higher "levels" (SD 2, SD 3, etc) it requires a minimum # of years of experience each time so it might not help sometimes.
    + The technologies you work with aren't all cutting-edge (you have to work with a database language/environment from the 60's) but most devs tend to work on C#.NET web development as well. You might get stuck with Visual Basic since we used to use it but we're trying to finish migrating off that in the next few years. You tend to do fullstack dev basically, but you use lots of homegrown stuff for frontend... your training covers that stuff over the course of the first 3 or so months of your job
    + Training is great -- even if you don't have webdev experience, they bring you up to speed on everything from HTML/CSS/JS frontend stuff to C# backend, as well as how the database internals work so you learn about performance
    + You get to do a lot of nontechnical things that are really impressive on a resume (take ownership of important projects and functional areas, lead people even with only a year or so of experience, mentoring, working with customers directly including going onsite sometimes)
    + Managers are very feedback-oriented and supportive of growth, so if you want to move teams or work on other things they will generally help you with that. However, your manager kinda expects you to grow and listen to feedback, so if you're not open to feedback or growth you might run into conflicts with your manager. If the conflict is serious enough your manager might basically fire you, but a lot of the time it's kind of okay if you are a good developer. Generally they will let you know about that kind of thing ahead of time in your weekly 1-1 meetings, i.e. they will say you need to improve in a certain way, and you will be eventually let go if you don't improve, so you have more than enough time to handle it if it happens, which honestly is still pretty rare.
    + With the above point, if you're really motivated and have the time for it, you can move up in the company really fast and be awesome at a lot of stuff.
    + Overall a pretty lax/understanding environment, lots of great people to work with. I will say non-managers tend to be way nicer and more understanding than the managers though.

Cons

- While you get to do lots of cool nontechnical stuff, most devs don't have to do much difficult or technically-impressive work (i.e. fixing deep bugs in core libraries, or bugs with the technologies we use, etc), so it can be hard to answer behavioral questions in future interviews like "tell me about the hardest bug you faced" or "what was the most technically impressive thing you've done at Epic"
    - Time tracking can be annoyingly specific (we do increments of 15-minutes each) based on the customer/project we're working on
    - sick leave/vacation time is relatively low, as it accumulates from the day you start instead of having that time granted to you at the start of the year (I recall the total being about 2 to 2.5 weeks per year). But you can work from home on occasion if your boss is ok with it.
    - You might get stuck with an awful manager who works a lot and expects you to work a lot too. But it's worth mentioning that managers often come and go (sometimes months), also there's plenty of opportunity for moving teams but you need to be a pretty effective contributor on your current team which can basically be a catch-22 for you.
    - Most developers are just application developers (those not on the core teams) so we're relatively insulated from having to learn tech at a deep level i.e. C# or javascript edge cases, so you might need to brush up on that stuff if you interview at other companies someday.
    - Managers aren't hired as managers, everyone is basically hired as a developer and then can go into management if they're a really strong contributor (this also goes for QA and the other jobs). Because of that, many of them only know coding/tech topics instead of actual management skills, so you might get a manager that doesn't have as much in people skills / empathy as someone with actual management experience and training.
    - You are expected to call people in certain cases where you need urgent help, which can feel awkward. Also can be pretty annoying when you do get called.
    - Certain decisions are pretty top-down from execs and division leadership and don't really get much input from the devs that actually work on this stuff and can give a technical perspective.

Advice to Management

+ Add more "people skills and empathy" training for new managers
    + Get more input from developers instead of only looking to manager peers and execs
    + Increase sick/vacation time a bit
    + Work on how to solve the problem of people getting stuck with poor managers -+ this doesn't happen to most people I think, but it's a great source of turnover especially for other jobs (particularly TS/IS)

"Overall great, but no value on work-life balance"

Current Employee - Technical Services Analyst
    Current Employee - Technical Services Analyst

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great pay
    Your work really has an impact on the healthcare industry
    All employees are really smart, friendly, and willing to help you out

Cons

Poor work-life balance. They'll claim that the number of hours you work doesn't matter, as long as you get your work done. However, there's also an expectation that you work no less than 45 hours a week. They'll continue to give you work until you spend 45-50 hours/week. For certain roles such as IS, you'll be working minimum 60 hours, with no additional compensation.

"Liked the work, team was drastically understaffed"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Epic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varying work, good salary for first job out of college, great supervisor. It can be the right workplace for the right people. They expect a lot out of their employees. QA role get paid the least of the salaried positions but have the best work life balance.

Cons

Upper management failed to replace people that quit or transferred to other teams, leading to a huge backlog in work and projects getting pushed back.
    No maternal or paternal leave; you have to use disability leave that you had to start paying into when you start there. They call it maternity leave but it is not. Also they don't allow working from home with any sort of flexibility. Makes working in Wisconsin in the winter somewhat dangerous if you have to drive to work in inclement weather.

"Great Entry Level Job"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Driven and passionate coworkers
    - Always something new to learn or do
    - Good environment and facilities
    - Autonomy

Cons

- Lots of travel
    - Long hours

"Making a Difference in Healthcare"

Current Employee - App Orchard Assistant
    Current Employee - App Orchard Assistant

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of my favorite things about Epic are the people, the culture, the food (it's really incredible what our culinary team can do), and the feeling of purpose that comes with working for an organization that's got such a big footprint in healthcare around the world. Working together with other smart, motivated people to solve problems and make a difference in this industry feels immensely rewarding.

Cons

I've heard from others in roles with more travel responsibilities that it can be difficult to juggle being on the road and life outside of work to create a really strong work-life balance, though I think that this is fairly dependent on the individual and their priorities/commitments. This is definitely something that I would recommend bearing in mind while considering a specific role that may be affected.

"Great Place to work and having meaningful impact"

Current Employee - Integration Engineer in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Integration Engineer in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Your work has meaningful impact on the healthcare industry
    - Flexibility to work on what you're interested in
    - Great work environment
    - Great coworkers
    - Good compensation
    - Good benefits

Cons

Epic doesn't let customers fail. Oftentimes, this requires sacrifice from its own employees. There should be a better balance.

"Amazing Growth Opportunities - Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing growth opportunities, feedback oriented culture, travel perks, Iliad/Sabbatical program for personal travel

Cons

Demanding job, can be difficult to maintain work-life balance, constant to-do list

"Fun environment, great culture"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is hard working and motivated to do what's best for Epic and the patients. The culture and work environment is one of a kind. There are so many growth opportunities within your role and everyday is different.

Cons

The work is hard, but rewarding. There is always more work to do, so you need to be able to balance work/life well.

"Great people, great campus, great mission"

Current Employee - Security
    Current Employee - Security

I have been working at Epic full-time

Pros

People you work with are driven, excited and intelligent. Folks want to do the right thing and Epic embodies this in its culture. You can see the impact of your work and efforts directly in patient care. The campus is beautiful and the health insurance/benefits are good.

Cons

Doing the right thing sometimes means putting in extra effort and longer days, but the sense of purpose and accomplishment makes it worth it.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst

I have been working at Epic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous compensation and benefits, great perks, meaningful work, opportunities for career growth and ongoing learning, amazing and affordable cafeteria, lots of freedom and autonomy, great culture.

Cons

Traffic getting to/from work can be bad if you live in Downtown Madison.