KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.2
Epic Founder and  CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner
1,924 Ratings
Pros
  • "Cost of living in Madison is low(in 215 reviews)

• "Good pay in a place where cost of living is decent(in 206 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance is tough at times(in 477 reviews)

• "Long hours for the starting salary (pays off if you progress with the company though)(in 260 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Epic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic place to work with great variety in challenges

Apr 21, 2021 - Technical Support Engineer in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll see very different types of issues in the TS role, all coming with different levels of difficulty and ability to challenge you to think critically about best solutions. Lots of autonomy and trust. Great office space & physical place to work.

Cons

Still working toward a more reasonable work from home balance long-term (outside of COVID)

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Used to be great, disappointed in COVID response

Jun 16, 2020 - Implementation Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy, independence, culinary, cool campus

Cons

Blackbox management, upper management is out of touch

319 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great people, great mission, toxic leadership

Jun 26, 2020 - Team Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing. I love the campus, the food, the daily work, and the salary is fair.

Cons

I'm very tenured and have seen the company change precipitously for the worse. Upper MGMT/leadership has lost its way. CEO makes poor, erratic decisions and is out of touch. Dev leadership is toxic. I will quit the second my stock vests.

203 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great coworkers, meaningful work, but Upper Management is slow to adopt policy changes

Jun 23, 2020 - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Working with incredibly talented, dedicated, competent, and motivated people - Teamwork, and all-hands-on-deck approach to customer problems - Varied and flexible work, responsibilities, and opportunities - Limited micromanagement - Many educational resources and chances to get involved in unique areas - Casual dress code

Cons

- Salary and compensation is a black box. Especially for work that falls outside the typical job role (aka project management or tackling large, customer-facing initiatives as a QAer still pays like just a QAer) - Upper Management is caught in the past and refuses to change. Working from home during COVID only came about after employee petitions and emails to the media bullied them into allowing it temporarily. Same for parental leave. - Vacation caps out at 3 weeks, regardless of tenure - No option for flexible work/work from home

90 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

They have been good to me and my family

May 20, 2021 - Software Developer in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have nothing but great things to say about Epic. They have been great to me and my family. I couldn't ask for a better employer. I've heard of others being overworked or mistreated. I can't say I've ever seen that personally. They always been fair in what they expected from me. As for the other reviews, many of them aren't fair in my opinion. If you'll notice the average rating dropped a ton when Epic asked employees to come back around Aug of 2020 while covid was still happening. Many claimed Epic wasn't listening. If you look back at history it turns out they did change their mind. They've also change their mind on a couple other choices. I don't think Epic is perfect. No company is, but many were too quick to throw Epic under the bus in my opinion. It is a good company with good principles. I'm looking forward to working here for many more years.

Cons

I do wish I could work remote after covid, maybe they will change their mind. That said I understand why that hasn't been allowed in that past and I support it.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Plentiful opportunities, great compensation, and challenging work

Jun 8, 2021 - Technical Solutions Engineer in Verona, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many opportunities to do what interests you (within the bounds of healthcare IT), as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort Compensation is great, especially if just graduating college Will grow your soft skills in leaps and bounds (time management, leading meetings, etc). Will grow your troubleshooting/general problem solving skills through the course of doing your job

Cons

Very easy to develop unhealthy work life balance issues which will eventually hurt your performance. You may not have had a "real job" before and do not know what to avoid, and sometimes Epic tends towards reward you for burning yourself out Unless you really try to find subject matter areas involving 3rd party integrations, SQL/Oracle database management/data warehousing, or machine learning, you may find that you do not gain relevant industry standard knowledge.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Difficult, but a good place to start.

Jun 2, 2021 - Project Manager in Verona, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people you work with are incredibly smart and sociable. - The campus is very impressive. - The food is unbeatable. - You will learn quickly, be supported well, and take on a lot of responsibility very early.

Cons

- The work is difficult and it often feels that you are expected to know things that you are entirely unfamiliar with. - The training covers the basics, but some of the more important information is either passed down by word of mouth or very poorly documented. - Leadership is a black box. Not even managers have full insight into the decisions being made, and they are often made with poor timing and minimal communication. - The level of work can be entirely overwhelming. Even if you are good about saying no, it will eventually come to the point where you have to say yes to something. - PTO is abysmally low and you'll get incredibly far behind when you do take it.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Programmer-Centric Organization - Rewarding but Tough

Mar 13, 2021 - Project Manager in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- great food - Independence in work, someone not looking over your shoulder every minute - Flat Hierarchy means you have the same opportunities and advocacy as someone with a higher tenure to provide feedback, etc. - Office space is generous (you get an office) - High Expectations for hiring = 99% of the time the person at the other end of the phone is competent and helpful - Job outcomes are meaningful and impactful - you often are saving the organization millions of dollars, saving patient lives, or generally helping healthcare providers be successful - You do make good money

Cons

- Programmer-centric company = best product in the industry, but less focus on this role in particular. - Prone to overworking project managers due to competitiveness of sales overpromising and constant understaffing - high-burn rate of PMs means you will loose friends within the first 6 months, more after that. This seems to be intentional as my first point suggests, PMs are a necessary evil to install the product. - Flat hierarchy = no real career progression beyond taking on new roles - 'black box' for how raises are determined = there is no "Door to the HR department", raise evaluations and calculations are not disclosed - You will easily work the full 60 hours they warn you about frequently with travel - Work-Life Balance in this role is not often feasible or very difficult for most (not many)

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great for employees straight from college, mediocre for long term career

Apr 27, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Epic is a great place to jump start a career for any college graduate. Epic provides generous compensation packages, hires strong graduates regardless of major, and has wonderful opportunities for early skill and career development. I was lucky enough to work for Epic in Europe for 5 years and had the experience of a lifetime - I would have never had a chance to move abroad at age 22 with any other company.

Cons

Epic is demanding - to be successful you'll need to work long hours and travel a lot (for Project Management roles). It also requires a lot of luck - a lot of your success is dependent on who you're assigned as a manager when you first start, they may be awesome or mediocre, it's a dice roll. While Epic is great for the first few years of a new career the opportunities for advancement and fresh, meaningful work plateau after awhile. As you work up the ladder the amount of work you're asked to do only increases month by month without an equal increase in support, as I experienced when I left Epic after working as an Implementation Director (a lead Project Manager) at the end of my time there. Senior management at Epic is a black box and decisions are made 'on high' with little employee consultation ahead of time. Epic's management of Covid-19 and Black Lives Matter has left much to be desired.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not great

Apr 28, 2021 - Hosting Engineer in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll work with smart people and will forever have the job security of experience with Epic

Cons

Massive distrust of employees, especially around their covid response. Benefits are hugely sub-par - two weeks vacation to start with separate sick time and no work from home when sick (ie, must either come into the office sick or miss a day) is old fashioned and not at all competitive. On the cogito hosting team specifically there was so much weekend and after hours work, with no attempt to reduce it or to graduate out of it after so many years of service that it was really hard to hold down a regular schedule. Hours worked after business hours or on the weekend weren't counted as time and a half or anything, so you would have worked 6pm to 6am Fri-Sun and still be expected to work a full day on Monday. All in all a dead end job without much room for advancement since you will never move on from customer work.

9 people found this review helpful