Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

1,023 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay especially for your first job out of college (in 100 reviews)

• Great work life balance, many opportunities to look into other areas of the company that interest you (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for a traveling project manager is pretty much as bad as it can get (in 272 reviews)

• You'll oftentimes have to put in long hours (in 157 reviews)

1. "Good first job, but move on fast!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great health, life, and dental insurance
    - High pay, with bonuses around 15% of your salary for project managers
    - Cool culture, you can wear what you want, get chocolates on your birthday, pie on pi day, etc.
    - Just a bunch of nerdy young adults, it's a great place to meet people from across the country straight of college
    - Lots of opportunity to travel

Cons

- Expect a lot of hours, 60 is considered average and there were months when I was doing 75 every week
    - Few vacation days (2 weeks for new hires, and then 3 weeks after you reach 2 years)
    - While the infrastructure is there, it can be difficult to give negative feedback successfully to higher ups
    - Most of the people you start with will quit within the first 18 months

Advice to Management

Work on work/life balance.

2. "A company with integrity that values staff"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company acts with integrity.
    They truly care about the patients and providers that they're creating software for.
    I feel highly valued by management.
    The company goes to great lengths to retain staff. Benefits, workplace perks, and culture are outstanding.
    Management is very supportive and encouraging. They take time to listen and understand what you say.
    All staff are continuously asked for ways the company could improve, and suggestions are acted on.
    Employees are empowered to make changes in how things are done. Your own initiative is really the limit for that.
    Lots of independence in doing your job.
    Emphasis on doing things that make sense and getting rid of things that don't.

Cons

-There's pressure to continuously innovate and find ways for you and your part of the company to do things better. If you're not a natural innovator, this is difficult and can feel exhausting at times.
    -The culture of constant improvement and change means that most changes don't stick around very long. Most new internal initiatives fall into disuse and get abandoned or get replaced by something else within a short time. On the bright side, staff aren't forced to put time into things that don't make sense or aren't worthwhile, so you can count on the things that are truly most important getting done.

3. "Competitive environment."

Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

Always learning new things, have to keep on the top of your game.

Cons

Long hours, poor work life management, potential for poor direct leadership

4. "Fast Paced - Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People
    Great Culture
    Great Customers
    Work that makes you feel like you are contributing to the world
    I had a great time working there

Cons

Work Life Balance can be tricky - you need to make sure you set appropriate expectations
    Training can be rushed if your team is swamped

"Good on the surface but lots of deeply rooted issues"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+Smart driven & helpful coworkers.
    +Good benefits and salary.
    +Great cafeteria & cafes with decent prices.
    +Beautiful large campus.
    +You (may) have your own office .

Cons

-There is always too much work for it to get done and lots of pressure is put on employees for them to work through it, usually due to bad management decisions. This pressure is even sometimes entirely arbitrary as there are no actual deadlines to fulfill, only management goals.
    -Related to last point, employees are strongly encouraged and sometimes forced to put in extra time up to 60-70 hours a week depending on role, for no extra pay.
    -Unless you are one of the chosen few, technology you will work with is very outdated and not used outside Epic.
    -The code, features, environments and configurations are largely undocumented, making solving issues a painful chore.
    -Problems you will come across and gain experience in solving are not useful outside Epic since they usually stem from the system itself. Unless you mean to become a lifer, staying for an extended time would play against you in the long term.
    -There is a lot of process to go through every step of the way since this is for healthcare. Management will also regularly add processes in an attempt to fix some problem or another, only to remove it later for another.
    -While you do get training for the job, it is largely useless once you start doing actual work.
    -Every month you must attend staff meeting, which is a waste of ~30'000 man-hours so that management and sales may boast about their latest achievements and to remind you about silly things like grammatical mistakes and how to cancel a meeting.
    -Personally I found the healthcare domain boring and depressing to work in.
    -If you get a solo windowless office, like is the case for most developers, you will not get to enjoy the campus.
    -Madison is a pretty boring city.

Advice to Management

Focus on upgrading the suite to use modern technology and using automated testing. Hire more people instead of overworking everyone and focus on keeping them rather than working them. Train management better or hire actual managers.

"Epic was really awesome, I very much enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Development Team Lead in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company doing good for the greater good - not creating value for shareholder nor increase its own cash.

There is a calling for your day to day job, and you can easily tell the difference you are making, think about MyChart or CareEverywhere, as a patient I cannot tell how happy I am when my providers are using them for me.

Take care of its people seriously - the benefit plan, the pay, the campus, and the career building thru various education and professional developments.

Cons

There is a price when your mission is critical - stress has always been one thing I am aware of working at Epic - no matter your role SD/QA/TS/IS, you are at some point feeling panic attack.

The structure of the company is flat, to the point you have a lot of decisions to make on your own, trust me, it was never easy. I had to make calls on big projects' directions and actually regretted later - and they are the reality in the products now.

Hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance if you care about your work - you are very likely to overwork yourself one way or another - and most Epic people do care so they end up putting more than 45 hours into their work week including myself.

Advice to Management

Care about developer experience - the current staging / continuous integration process of hyperspace/hyperspace web is killing productivity. I would say my departure is about 80% related to it. FYI, I don't think Jenkins is better either.

Maybe less cash pay upfront but more SAR so people do feel long term working is ending up better? If I stayed I might prefer less salary yet more SAR granted to me.

"Strong company, out of date software process"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

--All roles have good-to-excellent salary for fresh college grads, with great healthcare benefits (essentially completely free healthcare after 5 years)
    --Challenging environment, just about any college grad will find the job challenging and will improve your work ethic, and gain "soft skills" that will allow you to excel in most environments.
    --Epic is the market leader for EHR software - it's a nice company to have on your resume(especially if you want to stay in healthcare IT), and there are lucrative consulting opportunities if you choose to leave (and are into that kind of thing).
    --The people who are recruited to Epic tend to be great people to work with, smart and hard-working with generally positive attitudes. Leadership generally exemplifies the hard-working, get-things-done culture, with a few outliers.
    --Top-notch campus with phenomenal cafeteria/coffee carts.
    --Partnership with UW-Madison provides entrypoint for people without Computer Science background to take CS courses at Epic after hours and work towards a certificate/degree and/or transfer into software development, with tuition reimbursed by Epic. This is an incredible benefit.
    --Good overall company mission with significant yearly contributions to charity.

Cons

--There's no way to sugar coat it - Epic has a severely outdated/obscure tech stack. If you are in a technical role (e.g. software development) your skills will not transfer well, and you will basically start from square 1 elsewhere unless you spend significant time outside of work keeping up on modern software engineering trends and developing your own projects. MUMPS and VB6 are desired by virtually zero other companies nationwide, so it may be challenging to find a new job at similar seniority/pay level depending how long you stick around at Epic. Even Hyperspace Web(if you're lucky enough to work on it) is getting outdated at this point, and in using it you really don't learn how web development works, but rather how to use Epic's homebrew framework for interfacing a web application with MUMPS/Cache'. Altogether, you get a high starting salary but it's kind of a "golden handcuffs" situation (which is totally fine if you intend to stay at Epic for the long haul, but understand that risk going in).
    --Poor software development processes - the codebase has very low (<5%?) unit test coverage. Developers do not unit test their code and it shows with how frequently regressions are introduced. The company spends a huge amount of development and testing resources fixing/testing bugs and retrofitting those fixes to prior releases where our customers were hurting. At times this was >75% of our day-to-day in R&D, stressful and no fun for anyone. It's a far cry from a CI/CD environment.
    --2 weeks vacation for first handful of years is pretty weak in the tech space these days
    --No ability to work from home (outside of some travelling/customer-focused roles). It's hard to see that changing with how heavily Epic invested into its campus. It was often painful trying to get in and out of campus along with 10,000 other employees.
    --Log your time in 15 minute increments, on average work 45+ hours per week, with some weeks spiking up to 50-60. Overall, work-life balance is subpar and a common complaint.
    --Too much time spent on documentation/red tape, part of which may be a necessary part of the healthcare IT space but often felt due to lack of trust by upper management.

Advice to Management

Epic is an amazing company that has done some pretty incredible things by forging its own path as a private company, and has provided a great start to many careers.

Overall I am impressed with Epic and I don't see the company taking a dive anytime soon, though as a now-outsider looking in, I suggest finding a way to overhaul the software development process to follow more widely-used modern methodologies, and I don't see wrapping MUMPS in TypeScript as the solution to the problem.

The relatively slow pace of development and massive technical debt strike me as the biggest risks vs. organizations that are able to iterate more quickly.

8. "Software Developer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Epic takes great care of the software developer interns. Many of the same benefits/perks available to full-time employees are also available to interns. In addition to pretty competitive pay (for interns at least), Epic also provides interns with housing. Having all of the interns living in the same apartment complex facilitated many great relationships to be formed. Finding others to carpool with was very easy. Epic had periodic intern events to help us get to know one another better. Some of the activities included board game nights, paint balling, water parks, and hiking.

As far as the work for the internship goes, Epic assigns projects to one or two interns to work on. The projects are prototypes of potential ideas that Epic want to explore further. Interns are expected to take charge of managing the pace of the project and making most of the design decisions. I am one who prefers autonomy to being micromanaged, so I loved the amount of freedom I was given to make the project how I wanted it to be. Some others may need more direction and would prefer to have their hand held a little bit more than me though.

Cons

In my conversations with other interns I was informed that some of the internship projects were not as well defined as mine was. This required many of the interns to spend the first few weeks performing research rather than developing. This is indicative of real work though, but I knew it irritated several interns.

9. "Breakroom's got lemonade"

Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, Great Benefits, Great coworkers, Can be great for career advancement

Cons

-Long hours -Customer facing roles deal with idiots more than anyone wants to

Advice to Management

Hire more

"Weak tech in a somewhat toxic evironment"

Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Integration Engineer in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

sprawling, well landscaped grounds, food was okay, madison wi is lovely, and it's decent pay for the region

Cons

product is a far outdated backend with effectively a vb front. old technology is less likely to bust and this is a high-stakes environment. totally understand. tech is still lame.
    first five to six months was entirely classroom training on a completely non-transferrable skill set (understanding/maintaining/coding the backend), how to navigate the frontend, and basic fluency in the business area; the successful completion of this training lands you in an implementation team whose work/life is anything but balanced.
    Culture's got a culty vibe.

Advice to Management

Foster creativity. Top talent rarely wants to be a cog in an outdated machine.

Showing 1,023 of 1,624 reviews