Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance for a traveling project manager is pretty much as bad as it can get (in 256 reviews)

• You'll oftentimes have to put in long hours (in 137 reviews)

1. "Great first job, be careful of work/life balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great first job out of college: high base salary with high raises each year, performance-based christmas bonus, top notch health insurance/401k, and lots of opportunity to travel (both for work and personal).
    - Lots of responsibility right off the bat with room for professional growth and development.
    - Young company, so for recent college grads it's easy to meet people your age and form lasting friendships with coworkers.
    - Feedback culture increases transparency around performance and allows employees to grow in their roles. Depending on your team lead and how well you do, you will have opportunities to take on customer-facing and internal roles that align with your interests and strengths.
    - Great food and many options on campus

Cons

- Project Managers/IS end up traveling 50-100% of the time, which can be very exhausting and makes it difficult to prioritize health (e.g. doctors/dental appointments)
    - Lack of work life balance
    - Epic champions a "we'll do whatever it takes to make our clients happy" mentality, which though admirable, often comes with the cost of over working and burning out good employees in 1-3 years
    - Project management and reporting tools are all homegrown, which makes it difficult to transfer experience to future employers
    - Time off benefits aren't great

"It was a good experience in terms of people, but had to put in long working hours to keep your job."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Madison, WI

Pros

The place was filled with Young energetic people and the infrastructure was excellent with great interior design. Good training program. Excellent cafeteria.

Cons

Most people had the same complain that you had to put in long hours to keep your job, which leaves you with zero work life balance.

Advice to Management

Don't promote someone as a team leader just because he has worked long enough.

"Great place if you'll never have kids, have no friends outside of work, and will never be physically or mentally ill"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cafeteria has fantastic food
    Fantastic insurance (if your family has a history of mental illness you WILL need this)
    Acceptable benefits package
    Given opportunities to develop career skills that will be valuable at other companies
    Exposed to some genuinely good job experience that you can carry over to other jobs
    Good first-job pay
    Can work with some truly brilliant people
    You could potentially have a really excellent boss

Cons

The negative reviews are correct; you are not being misled by bitter people wanting to spite Epic. They're trying to warn you.
    Turnover rate is over 10% per year. They brag about being below the average for "service industry", a demographic which includes restaurant/fastfood workers (very high turnover).
    0.5 sick-days per month, including time spent for doctor's visits or therapy.
    You will be asked to stay late the day-of, forcing you into cancelling date plans or other social occasions with only a few hours' notice.
    More stressful than your most difficult college years.
    No work life balance; it's work-work balance.
    No paid maternity leave, no paid paternity leave.
    If you are sexually harassed by a developer, as a Quality Assurance person you are more replaceable than them and they will not be harshly disciplined.
    This stress will make any physical/mental genetic vulnerabilities present themselves from your previously pristine youthful personage.
    If you're not a college grad, they will not hire you.
    They hire college grads on the assumption that their lack of work experience means they will not know their workers' rights.
    Epic has been subject to multiple class action lawsuits for unpaid overtime for unskilled labor (Quality Assurance has settled once before, and are suing again now).
    Lower/Middle Management is college students who don't know any better, half the time.
    The upper management is people who haven't touched the actual Epic system in years so they've lost touch with the specifics of how hard a project concept will be to implement.
    Workplace dynamic mirrors that of high-school cliques; you better be part of the In-Crowd.
    The more popular kids will get the flashy projects, the unpopular ones will get thankless drudge-work.
    For Implementation Specialists (IS) at least (if not the other roles) they are told to fire the bottom 50% of employees every year, based on performance.
    Deadlines will be set arbitrarily by the Sales Team and as Quality Assurance you're the last step in the process, so any delays ahead of you will force you between a rock and a hard place of compromising testing quality for meeting the deadline.
    You will be blamed for if you miss a bug because of this time-crunch.
    You will be pressured into rubber-stamping something as "tested" even if you do not believe you had enough time to test. A project that took 5 months was initially planned to take 1 month.
    "Crunch period" is meaningless at Epic; every day is crunch time.
    At worst, your boss will be not more than a task-master, measuring quotas for how many bugs you've found. You will not get leadership from them on how to improve; you will only get pressure that you must improve.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like freshly-graduated college-age kids will make good leaders; they won't. They don't know how to help employees perform, and only serve as monitors of productivity. Get some real management so you can actually develop people into career employees.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

Pros

Great job straight out of college

Cons

Work life balance for a traveling project manager is pretty much as bad as it can get.

Advice to Management

Don't allow project manager TL's to have more then 1 customer. This doesn't allow them to pay attention to the needs to their team members and requests go un-addressed.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel opportunities. Really, that's it.

For those who consider this position for the short term (1-3 years), think of it as a boot camp. You'll learn to multi-task, balance your life, and become efficient at work for your next job.

Cons

It's a cut throat environment and if you have the misfortune of being assigned to work with people like I did, don't expect things to get better. I've never been treated worse in any environment. The people I interacted with on a daily basis systematically found a way to destroy my confidence by questioning my competency as a person - and I've been a straight-A student and an extrovert all my life. They turned me into an introverted person who lost all confidence by nagging me on a daily basis and finding fault in little things that I did. (On the other hand, I am impressed with how well they worked together to turn even the customers that I worked with against me - and I mean this sincerely. I'm fascinated now in how a community can bully someone into a hot mess.)

Apart from my personal misfortune, long hours (70-80 hours a week) particularly in Implementation Services, are required in order to keep up with such a competitive environment - and this is coming from a very competitive individual. It is expected that you go above and beyond at all times and that you function at you 110% percent. There's a reason that there's such a high turn-over rate for this position.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to treat the young college grads hired out of college as humans and not work them to the bone.

7. "Create your own adventure every couple of years"

Current Employee - Tech Services in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Tech Services in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities and reliable co-workers.

Cons

Important to pace yourself and realize that only you can ensure your work life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to assist new parents - paid maternity and fathernity leave.

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding opportunities for professional growth. You'll be doing something different almost every day, so you are unlikely to get bored and will continue to learn. You are surrounded by lots of smart people.

Cons

Frequent travel can be tiresome, though they've implemented policies to reduce the stress (can work from home on the Friday following a trip, etc.).

9. "PM - Travel Got Me!"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are amazing - truly some of the most talented folks on the continent.

Cons

Travel increased to 80+% and I couldn't enjoy the amazing city of Madison.

Advice to Management

Increase PTO, balance folks plates so they have a 40 hour work week before travel.

"Decent First Job"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Workplace is upbeat and unique
    * Cafeterias with food priced at cost
    * Coworkers are good to be around
    * Travel perks are great
    * You have the ability to check out unique places in the US

Cons

* Internal Documentation is poorly structured, often outdated, and not as easy to understand as it should be
    * Management does little to take into account the environment of working conditions when making reviews of employees (i.e. one customer being more difficult than another, or one employee's Application Manager being less experienced than another)
    * Customer locations vary considerably, some or far better than others in terms of things to do
    * Advancement in the company just means you're given more work and responsibility - but with less time to excel in all the areas that you given to manage

Advice to Management

* Hire more Implementation staff with the intention that they reduce traveling after a certain period of time 2-3 years. They can then be the in-office staff geared at helping other IS who travel all the time get answers to questions they have. It is difficult to get answers when half or more of the IS staff is traveling.

"6 months as a Technical Problem Solver"

Current Employee - Technical Problem Solver in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Problem Solver in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility!
    Positive mindsets.
    Young, fun individuals for the most part.
    Epic's campus and Madison, WI are both pretty cool places.
    The culinary department is awesome!
    No public ownership, so we do what makes us successful long-term, not what makes the Q3 financial report look good to stockholders

Cons

Can work a lot if you don't prioritize and spend your time effectively.
    Non-compete policy if you choose to leave.
    Flexibility. (This can be a killer if you are not self-motivated)

Advice to Management

Keep fostering the Epic culture: Working hard, getting paid, doing good, having fun. The social and physical environments make the place. I think we've got a great thing going.

Showing 953 of 1,457 reviews