Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Reviews | Glassdoor

Judith R. Faulkner
1,019 Ratings

1,606 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay especially for your first job out of college (in 108 reviews)

• Great work life balance, many opportunities to look into other areas of the company that interest you (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be rough depending on your customers (in 281 reviews)

• Long hours and potential to pull more weight than would be balanced (in 162 reviews)

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible amount of freedom early in career. Exciting and fast pace work. Extremely important industry where you are able to directly improve the lives of millions of people all over the world.

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities after a few years on the job. Inexperienced and ineffective people management.

Advice to Management

Better train staff to understand when and how to say "no."

"Consistent good pay, mediocre long-term benefits. Great job, mediocre 'career' path."

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work in a non-corporate atmosphere
    Fair to good autonomy working with healthcare organizations to solve issues creatively
    Consistent generous pay raises on an annual basis, salary gets to be difficult to part with. Ranking-based merit is however subjective and difficult to elicit how you're ranked.
    After the initial two difficult first years getting up-to-speed with lots of extra hours to bring up your competency, the hours get to be more manageable. Never expect a slow day though.
    We provide software to truly top-tier healthcare providers. It's great exposure to many organizations I'd consider working for directly if I were to leave Epic.

Cons

Benefits like 401K and parental leave are the bare minimum
    Aside from sabbatical benefits every 5 years, you never get more than 3 weeks' paid vacation.
    Work from home is rarely allowed; policy has become somehow more restrictive recently.
    Opportunities for advancement are few and far between unless you're solely interested in direct management of internal employees. Since those duties are on top of your day-to-day ones, it's not initially attractive.

Advice to Management

Consider tenure-based discretionary work from home benefits (this would be a major satisfier). Rely on actually doing *real management* of any abuse of that benefit rather than "locking it down" across the company. I am most certainly MORE productive the few days I take sick leave to just work from home on projects uninterrupted.
    As your workforce ages, improve parental leave policies.
    Increase your bare minimum 401K match. Invest in your employees' longevity in their work with you, and you'll increase retention. Sometime I wonder if retention is really of interest to you. It means more than you seem to think to the organizations we support.

3. "Hard work, good rewards"

Current Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, access to good learning opportunities and experiences, good peer support, gorgeous environment, a wide variety of advancement opportunities

Cons

High pressure/workload, fairly unforgiving work culture, unclear or nebulous goals and respond, lack of empowerment in some contexts (authority may not match responsibilities)

4. "Decent place to work, great opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- great coworkers (for the most part)
    - I've never been bored
    - If you take initiative, you can really put yourself in a position to gain leadership experience
    - great opportunity to have a large impact

Cons

- If you don't get a good manager, it makes the start very difficult. It can be luck of the draw
    - the company is restructuring the division--this can be exciting because there are new opportunities but there are fewer chances to be on large enterprise install projects.
    - the travel can be a lot. You frequently can negotiate the amount, once you're a little more senior, but it's definitely exhausting

5. "Lots of Work -- Got To Love The Job"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

-Pays Well
    -Opportunities for Growth
    -Feedback-Driven Company

Cons

-Must Be Self-Driven to Succeed

"Excellent for jumpstarting a career - be prepared to grow up fast"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Motivated and like-minded employees; like doing a school project with the top in class
    Great pay
    Crash course for how to be successful in life

Cons

Crazy hours
    Little to no recognition for effort and successes
    They will take advantage of you (annual raise + christmas bonus in particular) if they think you're happy and won't put up a fight

Advice to Management

Do not shorten the install timeline - the high rate of turnover means the application managers are no more experienced than the application coordinators that they manage. It's like the blind leading the blind increasingly fast to almost inevitable fiery doom.

"Amazing Benefits, Abysmal Work-Life Balance"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay and benefits are some of the best you'll find in the state.

- A truly unique campus, with plenty of amazing dining choices. Almost has the feeling of being back in college again. Epic strives to make you feel comfortable at work, which is good as you'll likely spend more time at work than you expect.

- Working on something that can actually save lives...if you can look past just being a small cog in the 10,000+ employee machine.

- Visiting hospitals provides a unique and useful perspective. I wish more companies took such a hands-on approach with developers. Surprisingly, QA does not receive the same opportunities.

- Potential post-Epic consulting opportunities, if that's your sort of thing. Having Epic on your resume is generally considered a good thing.

Cons

- Awful work-life balance. The minimum expectation for a work week was 45 hours, enforced by a weekly work plan that required you to lay out 45-50 hours worth of estimated work, "so you'll never have nothing to do." Failing to produce 45-50 hours worth of work a week leads to questions about your capability and commitment.

- Incredibly high turnover across all roles, especially among recent college grads, evidenced by an obvious age gap between the old guard and constantly churning new team members. Do not expect to last more than 2 years at Epic unless you sacrifice a large chunk of your personal life. If you, like me, are looking for a job to put in your hours, get paid, and go home at the end of the day to live your own life, run away and don't look back. At the least, please have an exit plan ready. Ask around Madison - the story of plucky starry-eyed grads pushed to their breaking point, "ground up into productivity paste" (as another ex-Epic employee so vividly put it), and discarded without concern is a common one. Some will say that they just couldn't make the cut, or were lazy and undisciplined. Some of you reading this probably agree. I encourage you to take a look at the numbers yourself, if you can find them.

- Inability to move between roles and teams if your current one is not a good fit. I was promised by HR during the hiring process that I could change roles if things didn't work out (as I was hired into a development role despite applying for a different position). Despite repeated conversations with my manager and my obvious struggling, I was let go without even the most basic attempt at addressing my concerns about my role. As I came to learn from speaking with more tenured employees, this is a common thing at Epic - counter-intuitively, and despite what HR will tell you during the interview process, only those performing very well in their *current* role are eligible to change roles. Epic would rather write off their investment in an under-performing employee than give them a second chance in the role they ask for.

- The "startup culture" feel is a lie. Don't let the campus fool you; Epic is a 10,000+ person company now, and it is run like once. Weekly work plans, performance evaluations and improvement plans, and the cold uncaring nature of a massive corporation are becoming the norm.

- "Team Leads" (AKA your direct manager) are often promoted out of a development role with little to no additional training. This means that the quality of your manager is a total crapshoot. The Peter Principle is in full-force here.

- 6 month on-boarding process for new developers, due to the outdated technologies in use. While recent attempts to migrate to modern platforms are ongoing, you will still spend up to 6 months in classes, being tested regularly with exams while you slowly spin up in your actual job. Don't expect to be able to Google your problems once you actually start development; Stack Overflow cannot save you. The development cycle is similarly long - a single change of minor to moderate complexity generally takes 1-2 weeks to complete, passing through 4 rounds of review before being approved.

Advice to Management

Frankly, stop abusing your employees. With a company the size of Epic, 45-50 hour work weeks should not be a necessary norm. We are not children nor machines. Treat us with respect and cultivate us; help us find the place where we can do the most good. Don't look to discard us once we can no longer meet your unhealthily-lofty expectations. Fix mismanagement and poor project planning so unhealthy workweeks are no longer needed to compensate.

Above all, if an employee says something is wrong - either about their own role, or something larger within the company - actually LISTEN and ACT on it.

"A Ton of Responsibility for a First Job Out of College"

Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Unparalleled look into the healthcare industry
    - Smart, young coworkers
    - Great pay, especially considering the low cost of living in Madison
    - Tons of responsibility early on
    - Travel around the country for free
    - Learn how to get things done under minimal supervision

Cons

- Poor management and leadership.
    - Lots of kool aid. Strange culture
    - Work life balance can be rough depending on your customers
    - Poor product leadership. The wrong stuff often gets built
    - Epic knowledge is not transferable outside a narrow industry
    - Lack of career progression

"What is work/life balance?"

Former Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Technical Services in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great compensation, especially coming right out of college.
    - Beautiful campus.
    - Your own office or shared with one other person.
    - Great, cheap lunch options.
    - Coworkers are usually really great, and will help you when asked.

Cons

- Demanding job. There is a large emphasis on solving issues brought to you by the customer as quickly as possible.
    - Insufficient training before being assigned to customer work. You will be assigned to at least one customer before completion of training, often before you've even finished the core training.
    - Because of the previous 2 points, the work/life balance is poor from the beginning. Many new hires work 50+ hours a week in order to feel like they are getting enough done that they aren't completely overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

It won't be easy, but the job is too difficult and the turnover is too high to be sustainable. You are losing money burning out so many employees.

"Division Operations"

Current Employee - Division Operations in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Division Operations in Verona, WI

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn/grow your technical skills. The team is extremely intelligent, helpful, and inspires you to improve yourself, but you don't work with them very much.

Cons

Hard to feel like you're really on a team since your #1 priority is your division manager and you don't really know what the rest of the team is working on. The job can be very high stress or low stress, but that depends almost entirely on your manager. No real upward growth opportunities.

Showing 1,606 of 1,727 reviews