Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Reviews | Glassdoor

Judith R. Faulkner
1,040 Ratings

1,643 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay especially for your first job out of college (in 112 reviews)

• Great work life balance, many opportunities to look into other areas of the company that interest you (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff are not directly taught to set personal boundaries and prioritize work/life balance (in 289 reviews)

• Long hours and potential to pull more weight than would be balanced (in 163 reviews)

1. "Technical services"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Empowered culture with a valuable product.
    Great compensation, benefits, and culture
    Autonomy to solve problems independently
    Can grow at your own pace

Cons

The town thinks you get burnt out but actually have full empowerment to find a sustainable work like balance for yourself

2. "Great experience – will likely never have such a good work environment again"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Madison, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent management structure and culture. My team leader was intentional about helping me grow the skills I needed and really put in a lot of effort to make sure I was happy in my role.
    Amazing campus with individual offices, beautiful scenery, and incredible onsite dining.
    Lots of professional growth – opportunities to take leadership on projects with support but autonomy, accountability, tons of classes going on all the time on practical hard and soft skills for the job.
    Super smart coworkers – all really driven, assertive, creative people who set a high bar and a positive work culture.

Cons

Some performance metrics were unfair – out of your own control. Commitment to build more diversity on campus lacking.

Advice to Management

Keep going!! Do what you can to make sure people continue to have space to innovate and lead on new projects. Push for more action on hiring people from minority or poor backgrounds.

3. "Great culture; decent life for recent grads."

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time

Pros

The corporate culture is really strong. They want you to feel comfortable because you’re going to be putting in a decent amount of time. It’s a fun environment to work in.

Cons

If you’re not looking to travel, it’s not a place for you to work. Additionally, work life balance gets out of whack the more you buy in to the Epic mindset. This can be moderated by hanging out in Madison.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee education and the solid culture you’ve built. Try to implement more programs that will help you retain employees (which I know you already are).

4. "Fun environment, but no room for advancement"

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The campus is fun and work can be meaningful. Good benefits, and work-life balance is ok depending on role.

Cons

Flat management structure means there isn't much room for career advancement

"Challenging, Dynamic, Rewarding"

Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Verona, WI

Pros

1. The work is challenging and dynamic. No two weeks or even days are the same, and working in this environment really builds soft skills such as time management, task prioritization, customer communication including written and verbal, and complex critical thinking skills.

2. Compensation and benefits are outlandishly great for a midwest company and on par with similar firms in areas that are two or three times the cost of living.

3. Good culture with strong values. You don't always have to agree with them, but continual and constant emphasis ensures culture is pervasive and well known.

4. Campus/food/location - if you're looking for an urban experience, Epic is not for you. Otherwise, the location in beautiful Verona, WI spread across 1000 acres is amazing, and we take pride in our campus and what it represents (permanence, collaboration, community).

5. Career advancement - a lot of responsibility and freedom out of the gate, and those who sharpen their skills the fastest also advance meteorically. Non-traditional footprint approach rather than ladder approach, so if a "senior director" title is what you're after, look elsewhere.

6. Working at the bleeding edge of healthcare and technology, two industries which constantly change and which are constantly in need, is fun!

Cons

Staff are not directly taught to set personal boundaries and prioritize work/life balance. This is up to the individual in many cases and those who do it well (or learn it quickly) have long, successful careers at Epic. Those who are unwilling or unable to learn these skills usually end up burning out.

Advice to Management

A deeper look at how managers are grown at the company is necessary. Managers shouldn't be managers because they are at the top of the bell curve in the skills for their core role; they should be managers because they mentor and grow people well, are compassionate, can have tough conversations, and have a proven track record of managing their own time and responsibilities.

"Great team at a huge company"

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and work culture. I really enjoyed the work I did, the campus and food is fantastic too. My Team Leader was very encouraging and also honest, so I was able to get proper feedback.

Cons

As a developer, there aren't many transferable technical skills, especially if you're a web developer. I had to sell my project experience to get a job offer elsewhere after leaving.

People's experience at Epic heavily depends on their team leader and team itself. If you have a good one, you'll likely love it and have a solid work-life balance. But I have peers who are worked to the bone almost every work day and it's a struggle. It can be a bit of a gamble.

Epic tended to be stingy about benefits with vacation days, recovery days from trips, and so on.

Advice to Management

Try to help enforce a better work-life balance among some teams. Be less stingy about time off.

7. "Change always leads to more work, less perks"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cool campus, great food, you get your own office, great co workers

Cons

Poor work life balance, poor salary (in training an QA), weak TLs.

Advice to Management

Over the last 5 years, Epic has been getting rid of many of the perks that made it enjoyable to work at the company. Stop.

8. "Great opportunity for ownership and growth"

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time

Pros

-As a young professional, you can own a lot.
    -Many young employees with a lot of passion.
    -Fantastic opportunity to build management and communication skills.
    -Company hierarchy feels relatively flat. Not a huge sense of being ranks behind other people.

Cons

-Work weeks can be long.

9. "Pays well, good people, stressful enough to make me quit"

Former Employee - Technical Services
    Former Employee - Technical Services

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Coworkers are awesome. Everyone wants to do good work and is respectful.
    * Benefits are great
    * Pay is above average (especially if you don't have prior experience) and annual raises are consistent and good if you put in decent work
    * Great exposure to how to work in an office setting and be successful - effective communication, personal task management, project management
    * Not evil. Wants to do the right thing.
    * After 2 years or so, you have reasonable mobility within the company to explore different things that interest you. That includes dabbling in or transferring to different positions/teams, if you've been successful in your current role.

Cons

* Expectations are too high. For the Technical Services role, pretty much everyone has a bad time from 6-12 months.
    * Insanely steep learning curve. You're in training the first 6 months (-ish) and once you finish training and start doing real work you'll think, "I didn't learn any of this in training!"
    * All of the soft skills, and none of the hard skills, will carry over from this job to any future job. The programming language (based on MUMPS) is unique, and the Technical Services role is hodge podge enough that it won't have a direct relation to other things companies are looking for
    * There will be work trips where you are expected to work weekends and/or 60 hr weeks. There will be times where you work 55 hr/wk for 3 weeks at a time. I averaged around 48 hr/wk during my tenure. After about 2 years, you can settle into 42-45 hr/wk if you say "no" to opportunities. I would recommend doing so.
    * The more hours you put in, the more you're rewarded. That's a common thing at jobs like this, but consider if that's a situation you're willing to put yourself in.
    * Seriously consider why you're looking at this job. Is it just for the pay? Do you actually care about the work you'll be doing? Maybe 5% of people that work at Epic applied because they care about healthcare. Everyone ends up caring about it, but it's "a job" to almost everyone. It's almost nobody's passion.

Advice to Management

Get people in the 6-12 month range more resources. They absolutely are not ready to have a regular load. You cannot rely on people asking for help the right way during this time frame - they don't know what they need. They need someone to see how they're struggling and recommend/help them implement solutions.

10. "network operation technician"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly love working here, the pay is good, benefits are great, and the work is steady.
    Constantly being challenged to learn new things.

Cons

Everyone who works here is super smart and on top of their game, it is a rare occurrence that I need

Advice to Management

spend up interview process

Showing 1,643 of 1,766 reviews