Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) Founder & CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay especially for your first job out of college (in 96 reviews)

• Great work life balance, many opportunities to look into other areas of the company that interest you (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for a traveling project manager is pretty much as bad as it can get (in 266 reviews)

• You'll oftentimes have to put in long hours (in 156 reviews)

1. "Software Developer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Epic takes great care of the software developer interns. Many of the same benefits/perks available to full-time employees are also available to interns. In addition to pretty competitive pay (for interns at least), Epic also provides interns with housing. Having all of the interns living in the same apartment complex facilitated many great relationships to be formed. Finding others to carpool with was very easy. Epic had periodic intern events to help us get to know one another better. Some of the activities included board game nights, paint balling, water parks, and hiking.

As far as the work for the internship goes, Epic assigns projects to one or two interns to work on. The projects are prototypes of potential ideas that Epic want to explore further. Interns are expected to take charge of managing the pace of the project and making most of the design decisions. I am one who prefers autonomy to being micromanaged, so I loved the amount of freedom I was given to make the project how I wanted it to be. Some others may need more direction and would prefer to have their hand held a little bit more than me though.

Cons

In my conversations with other interns I was informed that some of the internship projects were not as well defined as mine was. This required many of the interns to spend the first few weeks performing research rather than developing. This is indicative of real work though, but I knew it irritated several interns.

2. "Great Intern Experience!"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI

Pros

As an intern, you're fully engaged in your assigned project and everyone is friendly enough to help you out if you have a question.

Every week there are intern exclusive events and lectures. The events are optional attendance but come in a wide range of fun and interests. The lectures are always fully catered and provide a unique learning experience for an intern.

Cons

There are very few cons as an intern which include: figuring out how you'll commute or carpool to the campus from where ever they housed you. Any other con is dependent on how well you work on your project. If you find yourself poor in self-management skills, you might be working against a clock everyday, otherwise you'll live very luxuriously in this internship experience.

Advice to Management

A very important part of my internship experience was figuring out how much different working here would be if I came back full time. For now I'm pretty convinced I would enjoy working there full time, if I think of how it would be if I excluded the intern events.

"Software Developer Intern"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great food, flexible schedule, lots of activities.

Cons

Only thing that I can come up with is that there were slackers among the other interns, as there wasn't much incentive to work as an intern.

4. "Internship needed more Feedback"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun environment and easy to make friends. Food was excellent. Madison itself is pretty exciting too during the summer. The job itself was very straightforward. My project was very easy.

Cons

The project was a little bit too easy and seemed more like an exercise. Epic still uses a pretty old version control system that worked pretty clumsily during code merges. There was a bit too little feedback from my boss in terms of what I was doing wrong.

Advice to Management

Way more explicit feedback should be given during team meetings especially when it comes to what could be done better. The midterm review was completely skipped over for me.

5. "Nice internship experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Intern - Intern in Madison, WI

Pros

- Intern got to do some cool and new stuff.
    - Cost of living at Madison is low
    - The company's food is good and cheap.
    - SD compensation are generally pretty good

Cons

- The winter weather
    - The morale of the team that I intern with is not very high
    - Most of the technologies are still pretty old

6. "Awesome place for the summer"

Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI
    Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone on my team was super nice and helpful.
    Honestly felt from day 1 like they treated us as equals.
    Campus is SWEET, food's awesome.
    Madison is incredible in the summer. So much to do
    If you're there in the summer, you get to go to Epicnic. They have a ton of games, tug of war, big inflatable stuff, PLUS surf and turf for lunch and local ice cream and such. Really neat employee appreciation event.

Cons

Not really anything. You don't get as much swag as other big tech companies, but I think they really just want to keep the money in what matters, no gimmicks

"Software Development Internship"

Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI
    Current Employee - Software Developer Intern in Verona, WI

I have been working at Epic Systems Corporation (Wisconsin) (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to work with software that toes out to tons of hospitals across the nation.
    My work will be released in the next cycle, which is pretty cool for an intern!
    Got to learn a lot about iOS.
    Epic pays for your summer housing, which is pretty sweet.

Cons

This is true in many big companies, but I felt like a coding machine. Epic has 9k people, and about 4000 developers, so it's easy to feel like your work doesn't have a huge impact.

We lived in Madison, WI which is 13 miles from Verona. Madison is nice, but very much a small college town. Very quiet in the summer. Not as much to do as there would be in a big city.

8. "Software Intern"

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Verona, WI
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Verona, WI

Pros

Pays well, meaningful work (depending on your project), Madison is great, very cool campus, generally nice people.

Cons

VB6 is obsolete and not fun to write (my opinion of course). Cache is also probably not a relevant addition to your resume if you are planning to apply to other companies.

Advice to Management

Can't think of anything, management seemed find to me.

9. "Good culture, good work"

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern

Pros

Everyone is pretty relaxed but nonetheless gets their work done. It's a largely self-managed software development environment, which is nice and gives you a lot of freedom. There are also a lot of great perks to the job.

Cons

The company culture is a little strange. I didn't mind it too much, but it seemed double-faced and almost Orwellian in some ways.

Advice to Management

I would say be more honest with your employees. Epic is great in a lot of ways, but it's also not the best in some others, and you shouldn't try to hide that.

10. "Well-designed, lucrative, & enjoyable intern program at a company with awesome values"

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Madison, WI

Pros

Mentorship, great campus, competitive pay, Madison, intern activities/bonding, friendly community, fun/enjoyable projects, ability to make an impact, work is not very hard, very included in meetings/access to management/shadowing opportunities

Cons

projects not really targeted at interns' specific interests, work is sometimes too easy (not enough for whole time period), personally didn't end up getting to learn new technologies, mentors range widely in quality/engagement

Showing 63 of 1,608 reviews