Cover image for Epic

Epic

Engaged Employer

Epic

Add a Review

Epic Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Nov 11, 2021

3.2
Epic Founder and  CEO Judith R. Faulkner
Judith R. Faulkner
2,433 Ratings

What people are saying about Epic

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is good for the typical age of the Epic employee (more on that in a bit)(in 426 reviews)
  • "The people I work with are great and are one of my favorite parts of the job.(in 363 reviews)
  • "great benefits and challenging(in 353 reviews)
  • "big and beautiful campus(in 341 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and very food food at the office(in 316 reviews)
Cons
  • "There is no work life balance and you're making less than consultants around the country.(in 282 reviews)
  • "You will work long hours and may be thrown into some intense situations with little warning/training.(in 201 reviews)
  • "Management is poor and slow to react.(in 188 reviews)
  • "Upper management is terrible (they deliberately ignored requests from employees about a meaningful DEI committee and offered a completely tone(in 174 reviews)
  • "No work from home options(in 122 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Epic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place

Oct 1, 2021 - Technical Services Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

community, campus, exciting interesting work

Cons

can't work from home enough

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great coworkers, meaningful work, but Upper Management is slow to adopt policy changes

Jun 23, 2020 - Quality Assurance in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Working with incredibly talented, dedicated, competent, and motivated people - Teamwork, and all-hands-on-deck approach to customer problems - Varied and flexible work, responsibilities, and opportunities - Limited micromanagement - Many educational resources and chances to get involved in unique areas - Casual dress code

Cons

- Salary and compensation is a black box. Especially for work that falls outside the typical job role (aka project management or tackling large, customer-facing initiatives as a QAer still pays like just a QAer) - Upper Management is caught in the past and refuses to change. Working from home during COVID only came about after employee petitions and emails to the media bullied them into allowing it temporarily. Same for parental leave. - Vacation caps out at 3 weeks, regardless of tenure - No option for flexible work/work from home

92 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Epic team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Beautiful Company Held Back By Terrible Leadership With Inflexible Management And Policies

Nov 11, 2021 - Technical Support Engineer in Verona, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

My coworkers are some of the brightest, talented, and most fun people I've ever worked with. A lot of new hires are young, new graduates. If you've just graduated too, this is a huge plus because you'll be working, learning, and growing alongside a bunch of people just like you. I've met a good number of lifelong friends and made great career connections from those who've come and gone through Epic with me. You'll gain great experience that will solidify the foundation for a successful career. I came from having next to no experience in the healthcare industry to having a much stronger understanding of it both operationally and how technical solutions are developed to support it. The experience you quickly gain here is invaluable especially as a new graduate. Your marketable skills will increase vastly in just one to two years. There is true culture at Epic but it's not what leadership defines it as. I'll explain that further in the Cons. The real culture of Epic is a number of smart, passionate, and dedicated young professionals that are looking to start their careers strong by putting their best foot forward and working together as a team. The compensation is great for those just starting out their careers. Beyond this, there are cute benefits like on-site themed cafeterias and decorated scenery around the office. However, this is mostly superficial and the novelty will wear off fast. The aforementioned pros are what helps Epic survive and thrive as a workplace.

Cons

It's a little bit hard to explain and you sort of need to experience it firsthand to really get it, but you will always be treated somewhat like a child by leadership while working here. No, they won't literally put you in a playpen (even though the campus is literally a whimsical wonderland), but there is this pervasive mistrust of rank-and-file employees that permeates every part of working at Epic. It's unusual given the highly sensitive and critical data from top healthcare systems around the world that we are responsible for managing securely every day. Leadership's perception of you as childlike puts a cap on your own career growth at Epic. It systemically pushes those with sycophantic endearment towards Epic's "culture" to the front of the line as contenders for managerial positions. Don't like this process? Think we could really push for change here? Too bad. If it's not blessed from up on high, it's not happening. Only if you fall in line, will you ever be seen as management material. The effects of this ripple far beyond those looking to be a part of management. Your direct reports, or even your direct report's report's report, will never be the true decision makers. When you're discussing grievances of the company with them, they can just transfer any and all blame to the nebulous "upper management". And they'll be right —they have no real power. They got there and will only remain there because of their firm allegiance to leadership's line. In all likelihood, they're more scared of leadership than you because they have further to fall with no more to stand on. Not to say that there aren't good TLs, but it can be the luck of the draw. I have become friends with all of my TLs and genuinely enjoy working and socializing with them. My friends haven't been so fortunate. Either way, they're just your managers because they're in the same role as you and are good rule followers. There is nothing expected from them as far as the art of managing people goes. This is an issue that clearly starts from the top with Judy's leeriness and open mockery of MBAs. Managing people well is a skill in its own right and cannot be done by just anyone who happens to have the same role. Another example of Epic's unspoken mistrust is their Work From Home policy. Epic generally does not allow WFH as their policy. This is an irrational choice because, from the experience of my team, people are more productive with remote flexibility that can be used when needed. The convenience that comes from the ability to quickly engage with someone virtually by jumping on a Teams call, supercharged the collaboration of our team. Our productivity and collaboration during the pandemic far surpassed past anything that existed simply from being within the physical confines of an office. Nevertheless, all right—it's a company policy and you can learn to accept it. However, the extent of their reverence at the altar of WFW reveals a frightening obsession. As an employee who enjoys what they do and collaborating with their coworkers, I'm actively engaged with my customers and team via modern technologies like Outlook or Teams. It is honestly a little detrimental to the work-life balance separation of your personal and work life, so I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I honestly enjoy being engaged and available to support. With that dedication to the role, you would think that Epic would be fine if you got up a bit late one day (maybe just before 9) and needed to take a few Zoom calls with customers before venturing over to the office around 10-11, right? No, it's not okay with them at all. In fact, they have systems in place that will actively track where you are logging in from on your work laptop and at what time. They use this data to enforce their belief that it is a sin to ever work outside of the hallowed property of Epic's campus and to ensure that you know you're being watched by a centralized team. You must be in your office chair, or at least within their campus, from 9 am to 5 pm lest they "catch you" trying to serve your clients from a mile down the street at home. The social atmosphere is great amongst new hires who are usually the same age and fresh out of college. However, this quickly dissipates as many within your hiring class leave within a year or so. Before 2 years, only 2 out of 9 us (including me) from my hiring class were left. While having your own office may be a perk to some, it actually helps contribute to this anti-social atmosphere at Epic. This is a an extreme and tragic example, but it speaks to the reality of Epic's workplace environment. Someone on our team died and didn't show up to work for a number of days, yet no one realized for days. The anti-social atmosphere also exacerbate new hires feeling overwhelmed and like they're on their own to sink or swim when starting out. My advice to fend this off is find a group of friends early on and frequently connect with them, your mentor, and TL in a genuine, friendly manner. Really try to get to know them personally and work will be so much better as you'll feel much better supported. There are not many opportunities for innovation and growth within the company itself beyond what's been charted out for you already. It gets stale and boring after you get over the initial learning curve and the rush of excitement from learning new things slows to a trickle. This might actually appeal to some people who really treasure stability. It's respectable if you want a job that you can go through the motions, follow all the rules exactly as prescribed, go home with a check simply to support your lifestyle, and forget about it all until the next day. However, as with most large corporations, it's not a place for go-getters who are looking to innovate and take things in new, better directions. If that's you, get your experience and get out.

71 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good pay and healthcare. Poor WLB & flexibility

Oct 11, 2021 - Technical Services Team Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Campus, food, compensation, general autonomy.

Cons

Upper management is really terrible. This company is run by dinosaurs and the outright refusal to listen to workers' wants will eventually lead this company to, well, the way of the dinosaurs, if they can't figure out how to better adapt as time goes on. We need more flexibility when it comes to childcare and work from home. There is absolutely no reason 99% of the company can't be effective from off-campus. We've proven that during the pandemic. Yet, we are likely to lose even our pitiful 1-day-per-2-weeks of WFH at the end of October. If they also take away the ability to WFH due to COVID & school quarantine requirements, I'll quit. I've been at the company for > 10 years.

35 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good first job out of college but rigid company that doesn't evolve with the times - you can do better

Nov 4, 2021 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good first job out of college, particularly for those with majors that are a bit more niche/unique. Many of your coworkers will be smart and amazing to work with and some of them will become lifelong friends. A few people in leadership will want you to succeed (whatever that looks like for you) but a few more will be utterly incompetent.

Cons

Work from home policy and work remote policy are garbage. Mismanaged communication (or lack thereof) about changes to processes and structure indicate what little respect is had for employees and how replaceable you are. Your concept of what work/life balance looks like will become warped over time. The non-compete is unethical and difficult to enforce but is a real part of your life.

13 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Epic is like a grandma who seems all sweet and caring, until you bring up politics and she goes on a crazy rant.

Jul 19, 2020 - Software Developer in Verona, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Competitive salary for Madison * Good, cheap food * Excellent health insurance

Cons

* Poor work life balance. Learn to say no, and often. * Mediocre parental leave policy * Mediocre vacation policy. I'd much rather have a bonus + additional yearly vacation. * Mediocre 401k match * Anti-labor policies, such as Epic v. Lewis * Culture where there's no transparency and employees have no real input. * Being subject to the whims of an eccentric billionaire. Let's ban french fries. Let's rename Infection Control to Bugsy. Let's bring everyone back to campus in the middle of a pandemic so that we can all hide in our windowless broom closets and remote into every meeting. Because "culture". Great idea! I mean, even Cerner is letting their employees work from home through the end of the year. Smh

165 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Not what it used to be

Oct 18, 2021 - Tech Services in Verona, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job security, good pay, great insurance

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about employee input on work conditions, deadset against work from home, dishonest with media about work from home during the heart of the pandemic last year, put their guess about employee "creativity" ahead of employee health, and today in a staff meeting said we had a new benefit that gives us 15 days off to get a cheer, while flashing past the next slide that mentioned they were removing an old benefit of 15 days off (i.e. they lied, or mislead at best, and said they were giving us more time off when they weren't changing anything but the name of the time off).

30 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great Pay & Benefits at a Price

Jun 22, 2021 - Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Your paycheck and benefits are ridiculously good at Epic. After 5 years health insurance is free for individual plans, and it covers seemingly everything. Work is fairly autonomous so long as you're meeting expectations. Food at the office is very good and cheap. The Sabbatical program is also very unique and a great benefit assuming you can last 5 years at Epic.

Cons

The job is very stressful and your average hours per week will be in the 45-55 range as a PM. Those days are packed full with meetings with almost no downtime. Regular vacation time caps at 3 weeks even if you've worked for them for 15 years. They are really strict and stingy with work-from-home, which makes it even more difficult to be home for repair people/deliveries/etc. when you're not traveling to a customer site. Epic Management does not respond well to criticism or questioning. There have been several instances of staff voicing a concern with upper management's plans/policies and they've been prevented from advancing in the company structure.

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not great

Apr 28, 2021 - Hosting Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

You'll work with smart people and will forever have the job security of experience with Epic

Cons

Massive distrust of employees, especially around their covid response. Benefits are hugely sub-par - two weeks vacation to start with separate sick time and no work from home when sick (ie, must either come into the office sick or miss a day) is old fashioned and not at all competitive. On the cogito hosting team specifically there was so much weekend and after hours work, with no attempt to reduce it or to graduate out of it after so many years of service that it was really hard to hold down a regular schedule. Hours worked after business hours or on the weekend weren't counted as time and a half or anything, so you would have worked 6pm to 6am Fri-Sun and still be expected to work a full day on Monday. All in all a dead end job without much room for advancement since you will never move on from customer work.

14 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0

Good job

Jul 20, 2020 - Technical Support in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work can be very interesting They will take people who have little software experience and train them. Opportunities to learn are there if you look for them. High salary. I like the people on my team that I interact with directly. I still think this can be a good job right out of college, but you need to know what you are getting yourself into.

Cons

Work-life balance can be terrible sometimes. The customer always comes first. Like many other people who have posted recently, I've been very disappointed with management's response to Covid. The issue is not their lack of plan, but rather their reasoning behind forcing everyone to come back to work. You will hear from management the same things over and over: It's part of our culture, we need to be able to communicate with each other, (as if people won't just sit in their offices once forced back and continue communicating virtually), and we're losing out on chance encounters. They will never mention a single quantifiable metric and the feeling that I get from management is that they are afraid that if they allow this continue then employees will expect some form of work-from-home in the post-Covid era. Sometimes it feels difficult to take vacation because of the workload.

52 people found this review helpful