Epitec IT Recruiter Reviews | Glassdoor

1.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Epitec CEO Jerry Sheppard
Jerry Sheppard

Pros
  • plus there is ALWAYS free food and you get to work with an exceptional team :) (in 26 reviews)

• Recruiting is not for everyone Epitec is a very good place to start you career and build your self as a recruiter (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non-existent (in 9 reviews)

• The only two Account Managers in Addison were let go (in 14 reviews)

"Okay Place to Work for Recent College Grads"

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I worked at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is fairly decent for an entry level, recent college graduate. They offer an annual salary of about $30,000 however, you also receive commission off of candidates you place with their clients. And if you meet your monthly goals (submittals is what they call it) - you can get get an extra 100$ OR 300$ bucks.

Training is very informative and you quickly bond with the individuals in your training class. (however dont get too comfortable with them- half of them will be fired before training is complete, and the other half will most likely quit or be fired within 6 months).

Lots of "quick announcements" where they celebrate the success of employees (usually management and account managers). Expect lots of cake, snacks, beer breaks, etc.

Cons

VERY VERY HIGH TURNOVER.
    Your job is not secure.
    And they are constantly hiring new recruiters. For the most part if you do your work and meet your weekly goals you should be okay, but if your are not meeting those goals -prepare to get fired.

Advice to Management

You make your recruiters feel disposable and that they are not valued. Give more time for recruiters to get acquainted with your process, and if they are doing something wrong - give constructive feedback and ways to do better.

"The True Meaning of M.U.S.C.L.E."

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

Pros

1. No Experience, No Problem! – So, you are a recent college graduate looking to break into Recruiting or Human Resources and respectable companies will not hire you because you lack experience. NO WORRIES! You will certainly be able to get a job at Epitec making $30,000 a year plus insulting commissions and bonuses that don’t remotely come close to what they insisted in the interview process. But, Epitec is not a halfway decent place to start your recruiting career if you do not have any other options. Just note, this is a stepping stone company. Seriously, DO NOT plan to stay here for more than a year. With one year of recruiting experience and some confidence you can easily score a job with any other Staffing company in the industry making at least $45K base, plus better commissions and bonuses. Don’t sell yourself short by staying with a company that doesn’t value its employees enough to pay them a decent salary!

2. They WOW You with Shiny New Things! – Chances are you will walk into the office and be mesmerized by the look and feel of it all. On the tour they will make sure to walk you past the beautiful kitchen and show you the fancy-schmancy coffee machine. You will be sold into thinking that Epitec is a legit company that you could see yourself working for. It’s true - the office is nice and clean, the cubicles are spacious and equipped with dual monitors, and members of the sales team also have tablets. Recruiters are equipped with the tools needed to do their job and a good support team on-site if anything breaks. But never forget that with good technology comes lack of privacy. Lync messages, internet usage, and phone calls are all monitored. This is not an issue if you are doing your job but just do not forget that someone is always watching over your shoulder and monitoring how you are spending your time and how many candidates you are calling each day.

3. The Freshman 15 – If you like to eat (and drink) you came to the right place! Every Glassdoor review talks about the occasional FREE FOOD at Epitec. However, it doesn’t take long to realize that it is all an illusion. They con you into thinking you are working at a great company that values its employees by spoiling you with free food during training. Eat up while you have the opportunity because there is a 25% chance they will kick you to the curve before you even learn how to Boolean Search. Management will send out an email at 11:00 AM or 4:00 PM a few times a month to let Recruiters know that they are ordering pizza and “recommend” you work through lunch or stay late to put in additional work. While it may sound like you have the option to either stay and eat pizza and work unpaid hours or go out to lunch with your friends, you don’t – it is expected. It is a good perk and don’t get me wrong, it is appreciated! However, buying us breakfast the morning after you fire 25% of the Southfield Recruiters doesn’t make us forgive and forget or increase the company morale. It is like putting a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.

4. A Few Great Leaders – There are a few true gems at Epitec that aim to provide Recruiters with exceptional training and guidance.

Cons

Epitec takes pride in its acronym M.U.S.C.L.E to define what they look for in Great “Genius Finders”. Let me elaborate on the reality of this misleading acronym.

M – Motivated to find solutions.
    Reality: Motivated to stay late and put in extra hours, without getting paid for them because you’re a salary employee making a whopping $30,000 a year. Motivate to make unrealistic placement goals or be severely micromanaged. Motivated to think outside the box only to be told you wasted your time because you weren’t following the process and focusing on # PLACEMENTS.

U – Urgency in everything.
    Reality: Get on the phone immediately. Stay on the phone all day. Grow 8 arms and multitask all day long.

S – Sharp Appearance
    Reality: Ladies, come to work every day in a cute, fashionable business suit and a pair of heels. Make sure your hair is nicely done and your makeup on. Yes, you’ll be sitting in your cubicle all day talking on the phone with an unattractive headset on, rarely interacting with a candidate face-to-face. But image is very important at Epitec! They don’t care that they only pay you $30,000 a year, they expect you to look like a million bucks every day.

C – Curious
    Reality: Sorry, I can’t think of anything clever 

L – Likable
    Reality: Likability is really overrated! You can work there over 8 months and management still won’t even know your name or anything about you. There are only around 35 recruiters in the Southfield office at any one point in time so there is no excuse for executive management to not know their staff. Oh wait, 80-100 people have quit or been fired in the past 12 months and the organization is a revolving door. At this point I’m sure management is thinking….why even bother!

E – Eager to do the task at hand
    Reality: Eager to drop your morals and ethics at the door. While Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW expect to break it multiple times a day at Epitec. Don’t bother trying to represent a candidate that is over the age of 50, African American, is pregnant, has a disability, or isn’t attractive in their LinkedIn picture even if they are the most qualified candidate for the job. Management outright disobeys these laws and isn’t afraid to admit it.

Advice to Management

While my above statements may make for an entertaining read, they are also an accurate interpretation of the environment at Epitec that myself and other Recruiters experience. However, I’m not one to identify problems without offering solutions. I spent over an hour of my time writing this review in hope that changes can be made to affect the lives of current at future Epitec recruiters. Because what is a staffing company without recruiters?

1. Acknowledge that you have a serious employee engagement and retention problem. The fact that Epitec has won the “101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For” award for several years and even an elite award for Employee Enrichment, Engagement and Retention in 2013 is irrelevant. There is a serious negative energy in the Southfield office that cannot be denied by any recruiter that has worked for Epitec over the last year. Recruiters are not actively engaged, nor do they feel valued or appreciated by their executive management team. I challenge you to acknowledge this in the next company meeting and select a team of individuals from diverse areas of the organization to brainstorm and implement solutions to this dire problem. If not addressed the low morale will dramatically affect the profitability of this business now and in the long run. This is not something to brush under the rug.

2. Get to know your staff. Really get to know them individually and on a personal level. This makes people feel valued and appreciated. The “Bring Your Parents to Work” event may have been an attempt at doing this but come on, we are adults and this is inappropriate. I challenge each executive to schedule a low-key coffee or lunch meeting with each recruiter over the next month. Groups of 2 or 3 are fine. Learn about each other, build solid professional relationships, identify what motivates them individually, and what their goals and aspirations are. Ask them for suggestions on improving the business and listen to their responses. Practice the listen twice as much as you talk model that the company name is adapted from. Remember – You are still a small company keep it feeling that way as you grow and expand!

3. Rethink Recruiter Compensation. I understand the value of hiring entry-level recruiters without experience. They can easily me molded to follow Epitec processes and standards without having other experiences to compare it to. It also offers fresh college graduates with job opportunities. But consider rethinking your $30,000 base rate. You cut the year 1 bonus, you are cutting commissions. This is not competitive in the market. You pay people $30,000 and you wonder why they aren’t engaged and motivated. Seriously, rethink this.

4. Develop Sr. Recruiter Positions. Most other area of the organization have clear ladders of advancement. Different job titles to address the amount of learning and experienced gained. But not recruiting. You have 1 job title – Recruiter / Genius Finder. Or on Glassdoor you like to refer to it as the “Entry-Level Recruiting position” implying that everyone is low level and should not be taken seriously. But what about recruiters who are no longer “entry level”? I challenge you to acknowledge the few recruiters that have given you over 2 years of loyal service and honor them with an official promotion to Lead Recruiter. I also challenge you to consider creating another new position in between “Recruiter” and “Lead Recruiter” to encompass a Sr. Recruiter. Honor recruiters that have taken time to really learn their accounts and perfect their recruiting skills with a small promotion. This will dramatically increase moral and help recruiters, the backbone of Epitec, feel appreciated.

5. Differentiate Goals Based on Team. All accounts are different, some are larger than others, and some make decisions faster and actually provide candidate feedback while others don’t. It is not realistic to have a recruiter on one team responsible for the same amount of submittals, interviews, and offers as a recruiter on a different team. The goals should match the activity and the account, not be spread evenly across the board. It is not fair, it is very discouraging, and when done in this way goal achievement is not an accurate indicator of a particular recruiter’s performance.

6. Develop Clear Growth Channels. There are recruiters at Epitec, or maybe they are all gone now, that wanted to move upwards in the organization and make positive changes, like myself, but were left without any clear growth avenues or opportunities for advancement or challenge. So what are these individuals to do? They either find opportunities elsewhere (for a lot more money) or lose all drive and motivation until their performance suffers and they are terminated. Epitec has recently lost several of these employees and several others are looking for advancement opportunities elsewhere. This needs to be addressed. A member of management slaughtered his attempt to potentially talk about growth opportunities at the June Company Meeting. Instead of making individuals feel empowered to grow within the company he said “There are growth opportunities available but no eligible Recruiters worthy enough to fill those slots. You show your worth through performance”. Was that speech supposed to be inspiring and motivational? If so, it completely missed the mark. It made me and many other strong recruiters feel worthless. A strong performing recruiter does not necessarily equal a strong sales person. And a strong sales person does not have to have been a leading recruiter. They are two different positions with diverse necessary skillsets.

7. Drop The Phrase “Candidate Control”. As recruiters we sell an unusual product that is not like any other run-of-the-mill product. We sell people, human beings, with a brain and the ability to make decisions for themselves. Recruiters cannot control people and the phrase “candidate control” is idiotic.

8. Consider Flex-Time and Remote Opportunities. We don’t need to be in the office 8-5. We don’t even need to be in the office at all most days. We can do every part of our job from a home computer and a cell phone. Flex time and remote opportunities are great perks that should be considered.

9. Micromanagement is Counter Productive to Productivity. Seriously, it is completely unnecessary. We are adults and do not need to be treated like children.

10. Encourage Employees to Get Involved. Allow recruiters to go on their interviews and their starts. Encourage them to take part in meeting and lunches with the hiring managers and field employees. Encourage them to network with field employees we have placed in the field. These encounters are rewarding and beneficial.

11. Stop “Restructuring”. You are right when you say recruiting is not for everyone. I understand that it is quickly pretty clear when a new-hire just doesn’t fit the mold. In this situation I understand terminating this employee early on. What I don’t understand is firing an employee who has worked for the organization for 6 months – 3 years for “restructuring”. Let’s be clear, you are not “restructuring”. You are purging employees that may not be meeting your expectations, for one reason or another. By giving the “restructuring” or “it’s just not working out” cop out when you terminate your workforce you create a toxic environment. Word spreads quickly in a small office. Every day, most recruiters, no matter how successful they are, feel like they are on the chopping block and wondering when the next “Purge” (yes, that’s what we call it) is coming. Develop a clear biweekly or monthly Performance Evaluation and terminate based on clear evidence of consistent, unsatisfactory performance. Recruiters will know exactly why they are being terminated at it will not cause the same negative effects in the workforce.

12. Conduct Regular, Routine Performance Evaluations, Discipline Documentation, and Individualized Coaching / Counseling.

13. Mentorship Program. Since I started you began having experienced recruiters and members of the sales team go out to lunch with the new recruiting trainees. This is a great addition but I challenge you to take it a step further. The week before a recruiter is deployed try pairing them with a mentor on the new team they will be joining. Have them spend at least an hour a day at their “Mentors” desk shadowing them as they work through the Recruiting process. This will help them develop relationships with their team members and give them a real perspective of the job after deployment.

14. Practice Better Hiring. I never understood Epitec’s philosophy when it came to hiring recruiters. Why hire 6-10 mediocre individuals every 4 weeks only to fire 25% of them before they were even deployed and another 25%-50% in the next 3-4 months. So much money is spent on training (and providing them free lunch) to hire and fire so rapidly. I challenge you to spend more time vetting these candidates. Have them do mock calls and scenario role-playing during the interview phase to gauge their comfort level and confidence. Also, determine their 5 year goals to make sure they align with something Epitec could offer in the long-term.

15. Management Training. From my understanding in order to move into a management position qualified recruiters read a management book and conduct a presentation on what they’ve learned. It may be more complicated than this but I was never offered that opportunity so I’m just speculating. I challenge you to invest in developing a solid management training program for your sales team. Managers are rude and disrespectful to employees and often said things without thinking them through or apologizing for their actions. One manager mistakenly sent an email to a recruiter that they intended on sending to an account manager expressively criticizing the recruiter’s appearance and outfit. The recruiter was extremely offended, embarrassed, and hurt. After the manager learned of the mistake they did not apologize for their actions. This is unacceptable. In addition, emails with subject lines reading “WHATS THE HOLD UP?” and “CALL IMMEDIATELY!” are just plain rude and unprofessional. If Epitec plans to open additional offices across the country a strong management training program should be put in place immediately.

"Hazardous"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Epitec provides its employees with a clean environment and up-to-date software. Also Epitec provides an initial training for those individuals who do not know what recruiting is. Additionally lunches are provided during this training.

Cons

Epitec's biggest issues are with it's company culture and values. Often recruiters are told to withhold the truth if not out right lie to its candidates in the effort to string them along for "possible" future opportunities. Additional culture and value concerns include inappropriate language that is not only used while in department meetings but also in its company wide meetings, employees can be immediately let go if they have bring up negative concerns of a co-worker or the company itself, and last but not least a look of it's employees being very much dispensable.

If you are considering working for this organization there are a couple items to take into account. First I would not recommend leaving a position of employment as it provides zero stability based on Epitec's view of its employees. Second one should consider their own morality as you will be selling people as your "product" not an inanimate object. And last but not least one should know that Epitec does instruct one of its internal departments to posting bogus positive posts on sites such as this in an attempt to cover-up their high and negatively oriented turn-over.

Advice to Management

My advice to management at Epitec would be to take some time and research the actions of other successful organizations in their field. Particularly reviewing areas such as corporate culture and values. I believe that if other competitors are not having such numerous concerns come up on the matter, that perhaps those are practices to take to heart.

"Very Inprofessional"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

Pros

You will get Entry level recruiting experience

Cons

They are very very unprofessional, they curse and swear out loud repeatedly, that includes management. They will fire you just because they don't like you. "It's just not working out." is what they will say even if you are a hard worker and punctual.

Advice to Management

Please get more professional and organized. And stop cursing and swearing it is very unprofessional.

"Recruiters are not valued"

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I worked at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All recruiter are young and right out of college, happy hours, and incentives.

Cons

Fear of losing your job every day you go to work which is very stressful. At least one person gets fired or quits every week. They bring groups of training groups in that are between 6-10 people and by the time 3 months rolls around there will only be 3 people left max. They fire people in training so beware. They will say they will show you how to do something if you do not understand in training, but all they will do is show you your way out the door. They fire people like it's no one’s business. Also, they claim you will make a lot more money than you actually will. They make you work through some lunches and do not compensate you. There is no such thing as overtime. They micromanage and your every moved is watched very closely.

Advice to Management

Do not fire people in training -- it's a learning process. Stop hiring everyone.

"Painful"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Epitec for about 5 Months as a recruiter - you're given free lunch during training, you receive sound training on how to become a successful recruiter and upper management seems very reachable initially.

Cons

There is no job security - you can have a great week, and if you have two days where things are going slow, you will be asked "Do you like your job" - the environment has a clannish/clique vibe, if you don't fall into a certain socio-economic area you're judged, and your not compensated well to even fit into this mold. You will be told you're doing well and you can be let go, because you're not a good fit. When you talk to upper management about advancement they'll deflect you from it, and tell you to focus on your numbers. It isn't a pleasant place to work - no matter how long people have been employed there - everyone is nervous about there job even if you're performing well. Please proceed with caution - if you're a consultant you'll have a great experience as a recruiter not so much

Advice to Management

I believe it's imperative to give all employees a fair shot at success - letting people go due to not liking them isn't grounds for a separation of interests. The issue of turnover may not be the people you're bringing in but it could be the Corporate Recruiter/ Trainer. Also don't flaunt the Diversity award when there is only one person as an account manager who is diverse and upper management there is no diversity outside of the VP/Owner. Work on being sincere - people can sense when your words aren't authentic.

"Recruiters always have to watch their back"

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I worked at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of food, happy hours, and activities..to keep the employees happy!

Cons

You never know when you or your friends are going to get fired. They hire 12-15 recruiters at a time and within a month's time, half of them are gone.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring everybody

"Reading reviews rather than doing your job, SO EPITEC!"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a whole lot.. They like to get their employees drunk, then drive themselves home.. Not sure if that's a good thing.
    Working with the Recruiters is fun, but everyone else is out to get you.

Cons

The upper-management is more concerned with what is on glassdoor then actually doing their own job... Maybe if they spent just as much time trying to improve the work place then it would not be quite as horrific to work at Epitec.

Advice to Management

You're retention rate of Recruiters is horrible... Stop using the statistics of your contract employees to justify your tactics. Clearly there is a lot of bad reviews for a reason, have an awesome day!!!