Epitec Recruiter Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Epitec CEO Jerry Sheppard
Jerry Sheppard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A lot of free food and a great company culture (in 28 reviews)

• Recruiting is not for everyone Epitec is a very good place to start you career and build your self as a recruiter (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is non-existent (in 9 reviews)

• If you aren't making your numbers, you are usually let go (in 16 reviews)

1. "Decent"

I worked at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a bad place to start your career, but most people don't want to be recruiters, that's why they leave after a year. They give you free food and everyone is nice.

Cons

It can be so boring and quiet in the office

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know people more!

2. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Addison, TX

I have been working at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, always have free food, great place to work at.

Cons

More vacation hours would be great.

3. "Good first job but has a high turnover and high stress environment"

I worked at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, nice office, great technology and working conditions. Corporate attempts to be as involved with Dallas branch. Training is also thorough

Cons

High turnover rate, stressful goals to reach, not much assistance from management, and not enough base salary for the position

"It's okay."

I worked at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is lots that I love about Eptiec. AMAZING hours (you can choose to come in at 7:30 and leave at 3:30 or even come in at 9:30 and leave at 5:30. The choice is yours once you communicate that to your account manager!), Lunches, Presidents club (Free vacation), raffles for concerts and events, team outings, great company culture, awesome coworkers, and serious potential to make great money. Most people are REALLY nice and there are some people within the company that truly want to help you! The culture and company do become comfortable after working here for a little while.

Cons

There is quite a bit to say here. Where shall I start? Well, I hear that there are some account managers/delivery leads that are not too great. Some are not helpful at all, and some just have no idea what they are doing. That is not Epitec's fault, but there should be some way that recruiters can explain that or communicate that to their Sales managers without it causing an issue. Luckily, my account manager was amazing. I can also say that most recruiters at this company are worried about being terminated. That's not a great work environment. Most of the people that were working here when I began working at Epitec, are no longer here. I guess it is understandable, though. If you aren't making your numbers, you are usually let go. I do not know what their protocol/policy is on terminating people based on performance, but there is no "warning" before you are let go. There are whispers all the time of people who are terminated from the company. Everyone worries - "Were they fired or did they leave on their own terms?" On top of that, when someone is let go, management always says "it just wasn't sticking" or "it wasn't a good fit". No real explanation to why your team member just disappeared midday. Sometimes, though, you can see the recruiter being escorted out without even getting a chance to clean up their desk or gather their things! Also, since they are an at-will employer, they do not have to tell you the reason behind your being let go. Something huge to know about this company is if you are unhappy or looking for another job KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! People sometimes gossip around here, which is normal, but its your business only, so don't make it known that you are looking because ultimately - you are replaceable. Also, giving two weeks notice is not an option here. You can approach management with notice and they just tell you to leave that day. Lastly, there is a non compete contract, so don't think about trying to work in recruiting after you leave this company, because I've heard they try to sue (not sure how true that is). I once read on these reviews that Epitec uses fear as a motivator for their employees and I laughed at it thinking "this person probably was fired and is still angry about that". After working there for a while, I can honestly say that it is true. They don't have to say anything directly, but there is always a feeling of insecurity. How are you supposed to feel secure when half of the company randomly takes off (fired or leaving on their own) and it is not really talked about? Bottom line, if you are looking for a job with security and that isn't stressful for no reason, maybe look elsewhere? On the other hand, if you are driven and determined to really make some good money and you are sure that you will kick butt as a recruiter, then this is your place (even though other companies like Aerotek pay more in a base salary)! **PS, For the record - I wasn't fired, so this review is not biased**

Advice to Management

Communicate a bit more with your recruiters. They want to be there. If they are struggling and you can see that and are thinking about letting them go, give them some feedback. Don't forget that these recruiters are people. Most have families and bills to pay. Employees at least deserve some feedback or a warning that they need to pick up the slack that they previously weren't. You'd be surprised what a warning like that could do, especially since other staffing agencies DO give warnings. Also, try not to make them feel so replaceable. It reflects on the company when you have such a high turnover rate/unhappy and uneasy employees that are worried about stability.

"Recruiter"

I worked at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people, seemed like a great and productive place to work in the Addison office. Interview process was very inviting and comfortable, made me seem like I belonged. Was overjoyed when I was extended an offer, because I was such a good fit for the company.

Cons

Was excited to get started and learn about the company and grow as a recruiter. On my second day, I was brought into the conference room and unceremoniously let go. When I asked why, they said, "We no longer think it's a good fit." I asked for further detail or if there was something I could do to change their opinion, and the manager's reply was, "You know, in situations like this, I don't really like to get into it, sooo I'm not going to get into it" and then stared at me, not allowing me to get my belongings until I signed the termination paperwork. I asked the HR department for the reason behind my termination for my personnel file and unemployment claim, and she refused to provide an answer as well. Then when payday came around, I received an email saying that they refused to pay me for the days I was there and still have not received my pay six months later. I was super excited about this company and ended up heartbroken having left a good position elsewhere. Don't waste your time here. They will truly disappoint you.

Jun 5, 2017 – COO

Please contact me immediately regarding your pay. Epitec has many safeguards and electronic guardrails in its payroll processes that ensure pay on time and accurately. A timely and accurate check is... More

6. "Recuriter"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Epitec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very clear cut goals and management helps ensure you obtain them.

-Salary and bonus structure makes you want to outperform your set goals to earn more.

-All levels of Management are very approachable from your Account Managers, Sales and Delivery Managers all the way up to the EVP and other executive staff members.

-There are a lot of events and after hours but they are needed because this job is all about putting the hard work and grind into what you are doing. Trust me after going through various parts of the sales process multiple times a day and dealing with tough candidates you'll need a break.

-It takes a very motivated and goal oriented person to work here and I like that factor. Your quality of work and your efforts determine your level of success.

Cons

-Health insurance cost is high for someone with a family, but if you're single it's very good.

-Some job orders are very tough. You may not find people due to clients very specific demands.

Advice to Management

I think you guys are doing a great job. I love that everyone in this company looks out for one another and truly cares for those that are willing to put in the hard work needed to be successful.

"DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY!"

I worked at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always free food, drinks, happy hours, company meetings. The first two weeks of training, they would take you out to lunch and talk about what happens, so you get to know the company culture. Pay is good, on top of the base there is commission and incentives (gift cards, money, leaving early, travel opportunities, etc) for meeting/exceeding goals and when your candidate gets hired, you get commission.

Cons

Benefits only kick in after 90 days of working there. VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE! They get rid of people by telling them that "today is your last day. I'll grab your things, sign this, and I will walk you out." During my time there, many people who joined before and after me got let go before their 90 days with no reason given. Management does not listen to their employees. Everyone is old so they are set in their ways, don't be fooled by their appearances. They tend to talk a lot behind everyone's backs and usually when you hear someone's name being mentioned in a negative way, that person ends up suddenly disappearing from the company indefinitely. Just an FYI, you are forced to pay money to wear jeans on a Friday. Management make it seem like they are approachable, but they aren't. When you point something out to them, that would become a red flag and you will end up being on their "dislike list" or "next to be fired list." The CEO and wife are constantly traveling with the money recruiters (you) help them make and are never around to ask for advice.

Apr 17, 2017 – COO

I am sorry that your experience with Epitec as an entry-level Recruiter was not a good one. Epitec cares about its reputation and we care about how we behave as an organization. Epitec has an award... More

"Decent entry position"

I worked at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hires people with little to no experience, which is a plus to get you into the working world. Nice incentives, lower level managers are decent. A lot of free food and a great company culture. Within a few months of working here you will have other companies reaching out to you offering you $10,000 more annually. Great experience to get you into recruiting, you may just have to suffer for awhile.

Cons

A lot. You may not realize at first but senior managers talk down to you. The pay is terrible, and when you discuss a raise they suggest you just make all of your incentives to put you at your desired salary. They try to butter you up with free food and drinks and activities so you don't realize they actually don't care about you as an individual. From personal experience I have been bullied by upper management because this is my "first real job" and I don't know how the real world works.

Advice to Management

Pay your recruiters more. We work hard and meet goals, we do most of hr and onboardings jobs and get paid very little. Also, treat people with respect. Yes it may be an entry level position but use that as an opportunity to help people grow and learn instead of tearing them down.

May 8, 2017 – COO

There is absolutely no doubt that an entry level recruiting position opens many career doors even after only 90 days of employment with Epitec. The reason a recruiter may be offered $10,000 within a... More

"Avoid at all costs unless you love being judged by metrics"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Epitec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: They provided a lot of events, in-house parties/happy hours, team member highlights.

Cons

Compensation: Recruiters earn more by getting interviews then by making actual placements. You don't receive continual commission for your hourly employees, rather, you get a small bonus.
    You are a highly valued member by management by getting 20 interviews and only 1 placement as opposed to 3 placements and 5 interviews because your "activity" is too low. Something that actually bills compared to metrics.

Professional Development: Management brings on entry level college graduates with no idea about a company that truly values their employees and wants to build them into successful recruiters. You will not receive training or ongoing development. The expectation is call a ton of people and hope they are good enough to get interviewed somewhere. They try to lure people in with the previously mentioned fun atmosphere and hope it's enough to keep them going long enough for execs to collect on their efforts.

Turnover: Epitec is the epitome of a revolving door. Within 2 months of my start date roughly 40% of the recruiters either left or were fired.

This is a buddy buddy system so if you can get a manager to like you you have a better chance of being promoted than someone with awesome numbers but clashes with leadership.

Feb 27, 2017 – COO

Epitec is a performance driven company. Epitec provides incentives on activity like submittals for recruiters or interviews for Account Managers. The incentives on Placements are much higher and... More

"Deceiving"

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Epitec full-time

Pros

I gotta say, this place had me fooled for a while. I give them props for that. At first glance, the company culture seems great. Free food, drinks, events, activities, parties, all to make you feel like they actually care about their employees. Most of the recruiters and account managers are nice. It seems like a great company for young people to start their careers. Until you start to see the warning signs. Wish I had seen them before it was too late.

Cons

The reality is, the recruiters here (I can't speak for the account managers) are treated like they are replaceable. Most people don't know it at first, because they treat you well for a bit, until they kick you to the curb with no warning and no explanation of what went wrong. I should have panicked when I saw a few recruiters vanish in one week. I later learned that they too did not see it coming at all and were also refused an explanation for their termination. To my knowledge, these recruiters were doing a good job. I should have taken it seriously when a fellow recruiter let me know that right before I had started, a mass exodus had taken place and that many people were unexpectedly let go, while the rest were scared away. I kept telling myself, maybe this place is trying to change, they seem to be treating their employees well, they might be turning over a new leaf. Guess not. How could I be so blind? I can only think of maybe 4 or 5 recruiters that have been there for more than 1.5 years. For the rest of the staff, it seems that no one is safe. Even hard work and hitting your goals doesn't necessarily mean you'll make it, I've seen this prove true more than a few times. I'm now convinced that there is a lot of office politics going on behind the scenes here, not really sure what other explanation there is. I used to believe that this company was different. Really disappointed.

Advice to Management

Why do you let seemingly good employees go without any warning or explanation? Why don't you just work with the recruiters you already have and coach and train them to be where you want them to be, if that's truly the issue? Isn't it a waste of time, money, and resources to just churn and burn through people like that?