Epocrates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Providing a product that truly makes a difference and has transformed the practice of medicine (in 2 reviews)

• Just got taken over by Athenahealth so it could be a good thing (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving out of silicon valley is a huge mistake, unless the goal is to induce significant voluntary turnover (in 3 reviews)

• My review is for epocrates / athenahealth sf (in 8 reviews)

1. "Potential"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Remote, OR

I worked at Epocrates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall I worked with some really good people in various departments. The product had historical strength in ROI and engagement stats and loyalty among users. I believe there were good people with good intentions.

Cons

The ever changing product development delayed many potential upgrades and opportunities to sell services for Pharma content. There is a tipping point where you can wait too long for that surge, while other companies continue to develop/ test and fail fast and expand.

Advice to Management

This is hard- as a publicly traded company you can't always openly share all of the thoughts on the ultimate direction for products and product development. I believe Athenahealth will be successful in it's mission, and Epocrates can support that through not advertising to Pharma and providing free clinical benefit to HCP's. Once the plan is identified either way- bring in the right folks to manage through the process that share the passion and vision.

"VP"

I worked at Epocrates full-time

Pros

Great people and product offerings. Provided incredible services to medical providers and patients via the drug reference guide. Competitive salaries.

Cons

Shell of former self. Silicon Valley culture changed significantly with each successive change in leadership. Became a company that lost it's heart.

Advice to Management

Define mission statement in alignment with some incorporation of historical value. Keep it independent as much as possible

"Unclear vision and repeated firing of leads and teams made me leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Epocrates (More than a year)

Pros

My review is for epocrates / athenahealth sf.

Nice Offices: The new SF office is absolutely stunning. Unfortunately it feels empty and I wonder who will occupy it next.

Thorough on boarding: The onboarding of new employees was second to none. I was so excited and full of energy starting into my job.

Good educational opportunities: athena truly values teaching and learning as a culture. There's countless educational opportunities. Take advantage of them.

The other offices: Based on my experience I cannot recommend the local office but if you're passionate about healthcare IT then I would recommend looking at the other offices.

Cons

My review is for epocrates / athenahealth sf.

Unclear vision: Wasted energy on ever changing visions without addressing the very real issues of existing core businesses.

Hire and fire culture: In my short time I could count the number of senior leaders getting axed on two hands.

Mediocre benefits: The benefits were not bad but not good either. There were no stock options and the health insurance options were disappointing.

Advice to Management

It's not enough to be passionate. You also need to clearly articulate your vision, stick to it, and trust your teams to execute against them. Hiring and firing entire teams does not engender trust nor will it lead to positive outcomes. Allowing different leads to pull in different directions wastes everyone's time and your money.

"amazing people/less than stellar management and career growth"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

the day to day people are all fun, smart, talented, genuine people. they are all a blast and i loved every min with them. lots of work life flexibility and great work-life balance

Cons

The leader of epocrates is only concerned with herself and has her own agenda.

no career growth

salary bands, part of athena and a result of the acquisition, limit your pay

no resources being put towards epocrates business

unless you are junior, you won't have career growth. senior leadership actually said that they "disliked when people asked about promotions..." (um, how else do you get to the next level...?)

Advice to Management

sell or spin epocrates off at this point... and stop limiting pay while all your leadership rolls in millions (yes, we see the SEC filings)

5. "Work Employmen"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Company culture is pretty good. Has beer chat every week, retreat each year. People are mostly friendly.

Competitive compensation

Cons

Unstable company organization and career growth after acquisition by athenahealth

6. "VP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Very bright people and strong user base and focus.

Cons

CEO and CFO have changed the culture negatively.

Advice to Management

Done. CEO replaced.

7. "Software developer"

I worked at Epocrates full-time

Pros

The people are very down-to-earth and friendly, and it is easy to form lifelong friendships.

Work-life balance is great.

There are a variety of technologies you can work with, and jumping to different parts of the stack is not discouraged

There is mobility and the option to switch teams

The CEO is makes stand-up comedians look like amateurs. He is the funniest public speaker I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Beer chat, ping pong, foosball, annual retreats (off-sites). Free food if you have a lunch meeting. Even more free food if you are good at being a vulture for leftovers.

Cons

There is still some legacy code and pockets of resistance to change

Attitude and enthusiasm during meetings may be a significant factor in your performance assessment

"Sad"

Former Employee - Regional Vice President in Princeton, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Vice President in Princeton, FL

Pros

Extremely high pay with 9-5 hrs

Cons

Eliminated a $28m business without ever speaking to those of us who were responsible for 40% of it.

Advice to Management

Capture the living culture of 3004-2010

9. "Good company"

Pros

This was a great company to work fo . The only reason I left is due to the acquisition by athena health.

Cons

Some of the processes were too manual which was surprsimg for a technology compan . Still not too !much bad to say thoug .

Advice to Management

None.

10. "Great till it lasted"

Former Employee - BSA in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - BSA in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great team and product
    Friendly environment
    Lots of variety of projects

Cons

........ till the last two CEOs and Athena changed everything

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends