KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Equal Experts

Is this your company?

Equal Experts

Add a Review

Equal Experts Employee Reviews about "consultancy"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

Found 16 of over 259 reviews

4.6
Equal Experts CEO  Thomas Granier
Thomas Granier
Pros
  • "Company supports good work life balance(in 31 reviews)

• "Definitely not like your typical consultancy(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They paid a bit less than some of the other consultancies engaged with the client but this is a minor grumble since the EE day rate is decent(in 29 reviews)

• "Slight growing pains as the company has become more successful and has opened new offices around the world(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "consultancy"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Designed from the ground-up for senior practitioners that want to remain hands-on and learn from each other

Nov 27, 2020 - Founder &Amp; Chief Executive Officer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I thought it would be a bit cheeky of me to post a review of the company I founded - but then why not give my POV? We are at the same time a software consultancy and a global network that includes both permanent employees and long term associates (contractors). I designed the Equal Experts network so it is the place to be for all the senior practitioners with often well over 10 years of experience in technology - that want to remain hands-on and make things with clients that need their expertise the most, in a climate of mutual trust. One of the main reason to join is because you want to learn from so many other very experienced people such as yourself that surround you, both in the overall network and your own team. Then I think it's the culture. People point out how the organisation trusts people at scale, from the get-go. They also enjoy the autonomy to resolve a problem without being restricted to a particular way of 'thinking' or 'doing'. Everyone is expected to be a "grown-up" that picks up the trash from the floor. It's not that simple every day :). The company relies on everyone's intrinsic motivation and self-discipline to function. For instance, there is no annual performance review for employees. We keep the hierarchy to an absolute minimum. And any employee can make many decisions without following a traditional approval process - as long as they use our "Advice Process".

Cons

There are a number of drawbacks to the model we have: * for employees, the career opportunities are more limited than in more traditional places with a structured career ladder. * there is less structured support and guidance than in other places - you need to be comfortable networking and asking for things. * being surrounded by very sharp and experienced people means everyone can suffer of the "impostor syndrome" once in a while (I know I do!) * engagements can be challenging (and frustrating) - we usually end up solving the more "tricky" problems for our clients and we often need to influence people and improve their ways of working to succeed. Also there is no denying that we are a constant work in progress, for instance: * we do not collaborate across accounts and offices as much as we would like - * our gender diversity is below industry average - we do have many middle aged male contractors given our model. One thing we started focussing on globally is to improve the psychological safety of all our delivery teams so everyone feels included and safe to contribute and challenge.

7 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic place to work

Dec 11, 2019 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome place to work. It's also very different to most consultancies I've worked for/with: - Everyone is an expert in their field and are trusted and empowered to do their job the way they see fit. There's no "Junior" at EE, which means you're working with people who really know what they're doing. - Because of the above, there's no need for Line Managers, you're trusted to do your job to the best of your ability. - Even if you leave you can still remain "in the network" to keep in the loop about future projects etc. - There's a drive to ensure that projects are teams of EE consultants where possible, so its not a "bums on seats" kind of consultancy. - Salary is fairly competitive as consultancies go - The client is almost always the most strict about e.g. Dress Code, Working from home. As far as EE is concerned, you're an adult so you get to decide what works for you (within reason). - It's pretty easy to move projects, and its encouraged every 9 months or so. All opportunities are made visible.

Cons

The project selection is a little limited in certain parts of the UK, but it's quickly improving They don't hire many permanent staff which is a shame, there's plenty of talented people out there who don't necessarily want to be contractors

3. The latest conversations about Tech

158 Comments

Join the conversation on
    4. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Like minded group of developers to work with

Jan 15, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Its definitely the people. Its great to work with developers who share the same development approach are passionate about xp practices such as TDD and pairing. Get loads of support when on projects from both people directly working with you and from the wider EE community. Definitely not like your typical consultancy.

Cons

Can't think of anything. Sorry

5. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great organisation to work with

May 28, 2020 - Delivery Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with people at the top of their game is a rush. Motivating environment and not your typical consultancy. Very transparent and open.

Cons

None worth mentioning. Some people may not be used to so much transparency and find that difficult.

6. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Good as a last resort

Dec 11, 2019 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Contractor friendly Once you're in the network you can likely get a gig with little hassle. It's good for permitractors, those who want the day rate of a contractor but like to sit at one organisation (you might get rotated between clients) and not have to interview anywhere for years. If you like the conference scene, doing no work day to day other than preparing for your next talk then they'll happily have you on board while you're charged to their client. You'll just have to big them up at the next EE sponsored conference.

Cons

It's not too surprising the amount of positive reviews on here. Once you work for EE you'll hear other associates and employees talking about how everyone they hire is so fantastic. In reality the test at interview is not much more difficult than fizz buzz, so the bar is actually low perhaps it wasn't before, lots of people speak of problems relating to growth People like being told they're good but this unfortunately leads to arrogance. This is most apparent in their people/hiring team, I was told before joining that there was no way any other consultancy could form a team of the same calibre as EE. There's is a definite superiority complex among associates who'll dismiss any other consultantancy as profit hungry and inefficient. In reality there is little difference between EE and the lines of Accenture & Capgemini aside from size of organisation and a weird cult following. EE position themselves as agile transformation experts i.e. quick in and out, improve things, down tools and move on. This is not true they will maybe down tools and move on if a gig is so bad that all their associates threaten to leave, and that's only if they can place them elsewhere at the time. Ask them how long they've had HMRC as a client. The day rates are pretty poor for London

7. 5.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

The best company I have worked with

Mar 12, 2019 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Biggest group of genuinely talented people I've worked with. The company name is accurate, people are generally experts in their fields, and it feels like there is very little bureaucracy. Great client list, meaning great opportunities. Respectful of work/life balance. Strong set of values that people actually believe in. A genuine consultancy that offers more than bodies in seats.

Cons

Some periods of downtime for associates between working with clients that could be avoided with better communication. Due to the growing size, can feel like you're missing out on knowing what's going on, but this is being actively worked on.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

One of the best community of people to work with

Jun 13, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Pune
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is an agile delivery and consulting company with pragmatic approach to software delivery. There are very few companies in Pune which promote working with good technical practices at the same time provide support and motivation to learn new technologies. Equal Experts in one them. Without traditional managerial hierarchy, this feels like a community of like minded people rather that a corporate consultancy. I have been provided with lots of opportunities to follow my passion. Company has supported me in learning new skills at various stages. Because of their working model of short terms projects, you get to work on various domains and technologies. Focus is always on providing more value to customers. You feel to be doing the right thing by helping client delivery more value their customers. Equal Experts consistently share their knowledge with community by having sessions in their meetup group called Experttalks.

Cons

Still trying to mature as a company. Has not been able to cope with the size of more than 60-70 people well. Failed to evolve recruitment processes over time. Standards of the people coming inside company has gone down with growing demands of the projects. Virtually no HR management. It can be both good and bad. I think it leads to not having a proper career progression path. Which causes people to leave organization after few years as they feel lost and does not get clear picture about their careers.

9. 5.0
      Current Contractor

Not your average Consultancy company

Aug 24, 2016 - Devops Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really good agile consultancy company who are vested in growing a brand and solid reputation, not just body shopping associates in to short term clients/roles. Great opportunity to work in a broad set of sectors with cutting edge technologies, real business cases as part of agile teams with some pretty clever people. EE are always keen to keep good people on and will do their best to find you another project when one comes to an end.

Cons

Approachable management, flexible working arrangements and a fridge full of beer in EEs London office - I think these are all cons I can get used to.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great people, great model with delivery at the centre

Aug 5, 2013 - Associate in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone believes in the Agile Methods and practices e.g. Scrum, CI, TDD etc., its not just lip service. Even though agile is the default, its not a religion. Get to work with really smart people, and the vast majority of them don't have the annoying egos to match Delivering software to the client is king Love the business model, it will mix up the software development / consultancy model

Cons

Its growing incredibly quickly at the moment, which puts it a risk of growing pains. Just hope that they don't introduce process that ends up killing the magic.

11. 5.0
      Current Employee

The place to be

Nov 2, 2016 - People Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Equal Experts brings a refreshing twist to the standard IT consultancy. It puts together talented professionals, caring people and exciting projects. You have the flexibility to try new things without the corporate noise to hinder every idea or initiative. But what is most impressive is the care for each and every one of its employees (associates or permanent).

Cons

The sudden growth exceeded everyone's expectations, and now the admin side is catching up. A good problem to have

2 people found this review helpful