Equifax Reviews | Glassdoor

Paulino R. Barros, Jr.
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There's also an army of below average software talent who joined for the stable income and work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Intern program needs a bit more structure and more opportunities to talk to Senior Management (in 20 reviews)

"A Dilbert Comic"

I have been working at Equifax full-time

Pros

Low pressure and no need to work overtime. That means you have time outside of work to stay healthy and see your family and friends. You'll find many employees who have been here over a decade for that very reason. It's stable, the people are polite and friendly and tend to be family oriented individuals.

If you're a cybersecurity expert, there are enormous long-term opportunities here. Equifax is investing heavily in this area in the wake of recent (2017) data breaches, and they need your skills and leadership.

Cons

If you're deeply technical and seeking intellectual stimulation, you may find your coworkers to be somewhat dull. The typical software developer at Equifax does not have side projects and does not read about software or attend conferences and meetups. They're mainly family people outside work. That's a generalization, of course. There are a few genuine big data experts keeping this place up and running. There's also an army of below average software talent who joined for the stable income and work/life balance.

Upper management is loyal to one thing-- investors. Town halls and stock reports are the same thing. It's yet to be seen whether the 2017 data breach will shock executives into taking their customers more seriously.

Management came directly from a Dilbert comic. That's not surprising for any enterprise though. Middle management is full of professional ladder climbers playing games to consolidate power and supporters for their next promotion. Customer interests are mostly forgotten by this brand of management.

Overall mission clarity is low. The company is comprised of several business units, and most units were former independent companies acquired by Equifax. These units retained their structure, culture, and leadership. Even after years, they remain silos with their own cultures and goals. So the company is fragmented and top leadership doesn't provide unifying principles and vision.

Advice to Management

Equifax is historically so happy with its Wall Street performance that mediocre software practice gets swept under the rug. Loyalty to investors needs to be replaced by loyalty to consumers if this company wants a future. Leadership has an opportunity to change this, but as of 2018 it's not clear whether their hearts are in it. Security budgets are increasing, but budget allocation and culture change aren't the same thing.

2. "Trying to improve"

Pros

Flexible work location and hours

Cons

can be political, some good managers and some terrible managers

"Not bad, not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Equifax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Well educated and diverse workplace makes coming to work worth it every day. Ample work from home opportunities. Tons of company/group recognition opportunities from top to bottom. Decent incentive/bonus plans - comparable to the rest of the industry.

Cons

Terrible communication. Separate lines run as their own little business and dislike outside influences or suggestion. Lack of continuity between managers rampant. Left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing.
    Benefits leave a lot to be desired, but more a symptom of the insurance climate as a whole versus fault of Equifax.
    Struggle to control morale. Company as a whole suffering from lack of drive.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset.

4. "Flexible work location and remote tools"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Equifax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility with working remote or in office

Cons

matrixed environment causes redundancy of work

Advice to Management

create team building opps due to matrixed environment

"I feel like I'm in highschool"

Current Contractor - Outbound Sales Agent in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Contractor - Outbound Sales Agent in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Equifax as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are nice, it's an easy enough job, it's better than my past retail jobs, I get paid weekly, and the breaks are nice. I like the work I do, and sometimes feel good when I achieve my goal.

Cons

I feel like I'm in high school again. My scores are good and my calls are good. But if I turn around to say anything at all to coworkers, i get in trouble. Some random guy that isn't a team lead or management came up to me and others the other day when I was facing them and not my computer, and told me off and told me to get back to work. I was really sick, and I even fainted a couple times that week, and they were making sure I was okay and someone even gave me a snack because I looked really pale and like I was going to faint again. If he would have asked rather than chewed me out, he would have known I just wasn't feeling well and they were just trying to help.
    They treat us like teenagers. We aren't allowed to speak to each other or leave our desk too much, but they pick and choose who gets in trouble. There's people walking around the office with blankets wrapped around them and taking naps at their desk, but if you look away from your computer for a minute some random guy will chew you out. Also, there are some employees that will talk down to you and report you to a team lead if they feel you aren't doing your job, even if you have already spoken to your team lead and you aren't doing calls for a reason. People need to chill out.

Advice to Management

We are people. We need to interact with each other. We should be allowed to chit chat in between calls. If it were a problem and no body did their work that would be one thing, but when you aren't even offering over time because quota is being met, then I don't think you need to let some random person walk around acting like they are in charge and scolding people for talking to someone after staring at a computer all day. This is a tedious job and it takes a toll on your employees. Don't treat us like we are in high school study hall. And stop picking favorites.

6. "data analyst"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Equifax (More than a year)

Pros

Great work, helpful peers, wonderful work culture

Cons

Manager sucks a big time

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Equifax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back culture, friendly coworkers, monthly staff drinks. Company is trying to transform into a data and analytics company, which is great.

Cons

Still sales-led mindset; pay could be improved; very hierarchical, pyramid company structure so can be hard for newbies to be heard.

Advice to Management

Give more credit to people that are not in sales, they make a lot of things happen too.

"An old enterprise trying to remain relevant through its data assets"

I have been working at Equifax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The income is stable -- no worries over ups and downs in sales or markets. Revenue has been solid and should continue to be for next 3 years. Technology groups always seem to have open positions. They have recently focused on employee development as a key imperative.

Cons

Typical big company failings:

* Meetings about meetings
    * Meetings with 15+ invitees
    * Bureaucracy and process over getting things done
    * Lots of lower and middle managers between doers and stakeholders causing problems in execution
    * Decisions move at a glacial pace

Advice to Management

Your actions shape employee perceptions of you more than your words.

9. "Independent HR Management Admin Law Hearing Consultant"

Current Contractor - Hearing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Contractor - Hearing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Equifax as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Consult with the Fortune 500 Nationwide

Cons

Increasing Case Load- Not in my control

Advice to Management

Provide better communication with Clients on up-coming UI Appeal Hearings

"Data Quality Analyst"

Current Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Equifax (More than a year)

Pros

reasonable work life balance.

Cons

several organizations want to employ yes-men who will not challenge status quo or who seek rapid growth

Advice to Management

encourage growth and give opportunities. do not focus on the administrative meniality and instead the customer service your team is supposed to be all about.