Equilar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Equilar CEO David Chun
David Chun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's still a relatively small company, so you can make a huge impact if you are willing to step up (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to get career started (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • This leads to late nights on occasion, so work life balance can be an issue at times (in 4 reviews)

• were being development since no one is there to say no to him anymore (in 6 reviews)

"Everyone Contributes to Company Success!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every position has a direct impact on the company's success. In a very goal-oriented environment, individuals and departments collaborate to achieve targets.
    The work we do is at the heart of corporate America and front-page national news. It's exciting to know we are impacting not just our own company's growth but also the way corporate boards think about and respond to important issues.

Cons

There's so much business opportunity that sometimes some tasks risk cannibalizing others.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees' contributions in meaningful ways. Continue to foster an environment that rewards team-work, critical thinking and meeting goals.

2. "Company culture isn't great, but even if it were better, the job is inescapably boring"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A small company with high turnover means that you can expand outside of your core work pretty quickly and easily if you're proactive about it. Additionally, since it's not consulting work with clients/projects to bill, you don't have to track your hours, meaning that you have fairly wide latitude to work on whatever projects you want once your core work is finished.

Low stress work and never more than 40 hours outside of busy season (March and April).

Cons

Of course, the low stress nature of the job is also a negative. It's tough for most people to really feel invested in or excited about providing executive compensation data, and the core work itself is of the Sisyphean "pushing a rock up a hill over and over" variety that never gives you a satisfying feeling of accomplishment or even just completion. And the task itself is mind-numbing.

The way that the task is structured means that you're constantly receiving negative feedback about what you did wrong, never anything positive. That takes a psychic toll. My manager was great and upbeat in 1-on-1 meetings, but that's a once-a-week thing, and not all managers were like that.

The pay is low, and there's not a ton of upward mobility. Making matters worse, I don't think there's much lateral applicability of the experiences or skills developed, outside of things like getting better at SQL or Excel macros, and the field of executive compensation is pretty thin.

The very low employee morale makes everything worse. Who wants to work at a place where no one is excited about what they're doing or feels that they're contributing/creating something of value, where everyone talks about leaving, and where the company feels very cheap on top of all that?

Advice to Management

It's tough, because reading through DEF14s until your eyes bleed searching for percentage of performance metrics achieved is both the core task of the job and also just cannot be made interesting. That said, morale doesn't have to be as low as it is. The combination of low pay, focus on Errors, and weird cheapness feeling (like, is someone going to comment on how long my break is?) makes research analysts feel pretty unvalued and low status. Even if they aren't super valuable, it's probably not a great idea to let them feel that way.

Specifically about the focus on Errors.. I understand that the published reports need to be error-free. But the process to get to that point doesn't need to feel so high-pressure and perfectionist. For instance, instead of having taggers try to be just as perfect as publishers, have taggers aim for speed within a reasonable error rate. Then have specific times for tests to be a publisher where the goal changes to perfection. That way, most of the time Errors are just low-stakes things to learn from rather than something that cause you to feel like you've failed and set you back without the ability to recover for another 40 tags.

Aug 16, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I will relay your feedback to the Research Managers. Your comments are well thought out and your suggestions make sense. Once a year when public companies file their proxies, we have to get the... More

"Employee"

I have been working at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have monthly lunches free

Cons

You will not find a more dysfunctional organization than this company. The CEO is not right in the head,

Advice to Management

Hold ALL of your employees to the same standard

Aug 15, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I appreciate the feedback, but wish there was something more specific to address in the cons area. We do read all reviews and try to act where something is actionable. Nonetheless, I hope you find... More

"One of the best places I ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great and vibrant team.
    - Management has a clear vision and always working towards that.
    - Excellent benefits.

Cons

- Doesn't promote work from home.

Advice to Management

More thoughts should be put on 'what else can be achieved within the current domain so that growth can be even higher.'

Jul 13, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

Thanks for your review and over 3 years of service! We realize that the number of public companies we service is not growing so fast. Look at our BoardEdge product and you'll see that we are... More

5. "CEO is amazing!"

I have been working at Equilar part-time

Pros

Before working at Equilar as the EA to the CEO, I read some negative reviews about him on this site. Thankfully, they were highly inaccurate. I found him to be very easy to work for and with, very business-focused, and delightful. He has had a very positive impact on my professional growth, and I found him to be extremely encouraging!

Cons

There's not enough administrative work to support my role in a full-time capacity.

Mar 8, 2017 – VP Products

Thank you for your feedback. I once worked at a company where everyone complained that the CEO was a bit disconnected to the people and business. That's not a problem at Equilar! I've never seen a... More

6. "Great Company with Growth"

Current Employee - Research Analyst II
    Current Employee - Research Analyst II

I have been working at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Equilar has been an absolute blessing, especially as my first job out of college. The vision of the senior management is set up for growth in the industry, the Company and each and every employee. If you are dedicated and have a good work ethic, you will be asked to take on more responsibility and gain invaluable experience in the Board Intelligence, Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance fields. As a research analyst, you work hands-on with a bunch of different data from sources (8-K, 10K, DEF 14A, etc.) and publish it for our clients' use, daily. You quickly become engulfed in the industry and have the potential to have a publication such as the Wall Street Journal pick up data that you worked on and run it as a story.

The culture at Equilar is a great aspect of the job as well. The entire research team is very close, and employees from different teams are not only coworkers, but also friends.

Cons

The work/life balance can be a little challenging because of some late nights in the office, but the best way to deal with the separation is to carve out daily time to not think about work and use vacation days.

7. "Company Management"

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good leadership, good corporate structure, collaborative team environment, lots of career opportunities, lots of branded company swags, team building activities.

Cons

Rate of Salary - Average

"Sweet Spot between an early stage startup & a Big Corporation"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been in companies both big and small and Equilar is the sweet spot between an early stage startup (worrying about your next paycheck) and a big corporation (where your contribution is a drop in the bucket). Equilar comes with a wealth of data about executives, has a great brand in the c-suite of top public companies with great opportunities to build new products catering to executives.

Career Growth
    Whether you are a fresh graduate out of school or already in a leadership position, Equilar helps you grow in your career at a pretty fast pace by exposing one to opportunities outside of your job description.

Engineering & Products Culture
    The culture within the engineering & products team is great (the one I work closely with). Most people have been here for a long time and are very passionate about the products they build.

Cons

The culture demands a face time at work from 9-5 - which is reasonable thinking about it. But the bay area traffic does make it challenging at times. Need to plan your day around the traffic. And yes, being pro-active helps.

Mar 8, 2017 – VP Products

Regarding the commute. Equilar tries to ease the commute demands by offering free Caltrain passes. If you have to drive we offer free parking or a stipend to cover parking fees near our HQ. We all... More

9. "Good plate to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Equilar full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and grow, annual days-off and budget for conferences or workshops

Cons

Below average salary, that not so good.

Mar 8, 2017 – VP Products

Regarding the salary, the management coordinates with HR on a regular basis to see if we are out of line with other compensation packages in the Silicon Valley. If all you are looking at is the base... More

10. "Research in Nashville!"

Current Employee - Research Analyst II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Research Analyst II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working in the Nashville Office! It is a small, tight-knit group which makes work very enjoyable! I love the relationships I have built with my peers as well as the knowledge I have gained from them.

This research analyst position straight out of college is a great career start! You can advance your excel and analytical skills while building new ones like being exposed to SQL! Coming out of college I wasn't really sure what direction I wanted to take my career, so working with Equilar has allowed me to build vital skills. For example, I have had the opportunity to strengthen and build my communication, writing, analytical and organizational skills that can be applied to nearly any job/career. Further, I love the exposure to content writing I have had working at Equilar. I have been involved with several lengthy data pulls/reports for blog posts, media outlets and annual reports for clients. This writing exposure has allowed me to be involved with large and challenging projects where I feel like my work played a part of the overall success of the company! If you want to feel like your work is directly involved with Equilar’s success then working in the Nashville office is right for you, especially since our Director of Content and Communications, Dan is in the same office!

Overall, I loved working with smart and driven individuals because you can really learn a lot from other people. Building a strong knowledge base at Equilar will be very useful in future career endeavors!

Cons

I don't really have any cons because I love working in the Nashville office. California is not for everyone so I love that I had the opportunity to work in a city I love!

Advice to Management

One recommendation I have to is make changes to the pay structure in research. The compensation could be better considering everyone at Equilar has a college degree and is extremely smart! I know pay is not everything but it can be a top reason why an individual decides to join or leave a company.

Mar 8, 2017 – VP Products

Having worked out of the Nashville office on occasion, I know what you mean! It's such a nice part of the country. As for the Advice to Management, we will continue to look into ways to balance out... More