Equilar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Equilar CEO David Chun
David Chun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's still a relatively small company, so you can make a huge impact if you are willing to step up (in 9 reviews)

• Great place to get career started (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also absolutely no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• were being development since no one is there to say no to him anymore (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good opportunity for technical growth!!!"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great and helpful people to work with, good opportunity specially for beginners for technical growth, I really like "Learn Grow Lead" Program. Free lunch once in a month, Fruits, team outings. Good work-life balance. No pressure.

Cons

Nothing specific. Company is making efforts to improve and grow day by day.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aug 23, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

Technology these days change so fast that it's impossible for any one person to know it all. This is why we foster the LGL (Learn Grow Lead) program to provide cash for employees to explore. One of... More

"Read all the reviews carefully"

I worked at Equilar full-time

Pros

-Co-workers under the senior management level are great, they are relatively young and friendly
    -The industry is interesting as there are actual applications for the data we capture but it is very niche
    -Constant turnover opens up opportunities
    -CEO is smart but not a good leader
    -Free Cal-Train pass

Cons

There are many issues and it starts with management:
    -The five star reviews are planted and the company is responding to the glassdoor reviews by saying they asked employees to post reviews in order to balance out the rating. However, management asks employees to write positive reviews.
    -There is constant turnover, they struggle to retain talented people. Some of it is because of the industry but most of it is below average compensation and not valuing employees. They compensate below the market average, true the benefits add to the value but most companies that are profitable and been around for 15+ years offer the same packages, that's a lazy excuse to underpay. For example, the company changes their research analysts from hourly to salary before proxy season in order to avoid paying overtime, with the expectation they work 50+ hours a week including weekends and label it a "promotion". This is a job not a career and management has done nothing to change that. Their "Learn Grow Lead" program is a joke, I applied for LGL to take classes in order to help out the company because of gaps due to turnover and my request was ignored by my supervisor.
    -The company especially the CEO sees the employees as replaceable. Management doesn't understand the value of retaining employees, they rather go out and hire someone else. This messes with team chemistry and puts more workload on the existing employee without being fairly compensated for it. I have been in meetings where they say if you don't agree with a certain idea then you should find another place to work (This is why leaving constructive feedback to the company is useless). They want yes men and are only receptive to ideas that are in line with their current agenda, which changes all the time.
    -Company morale is low due to the compensation, management disconnect and constant micro-managing. They say "We don't micro-manage" and in the same meeting they will lay out what you have to focus on each hour of each day and then monitor how you spend those hours. They plan out your day and have constant check-ins. Don't say you trust us and you don't micro-manage then turnaround and do it. Recently they added a put a 2 way camera so they can monitor what the sales team does while their VP is in Chicago. Again Equilar said it's to increase collaboration between the two offices...there has been 2 conversations in 6 weeks...it's a glorified baby monitor.
    -There is also absolutely no work-life balance. If you're not working outside of the office or on the weekends then you're "not going the extra mile", did I mention unfair compensation.
    -There are constant mixed signals from senior management. Our whole department was asked to dedicate 7 out of 8 hours a day on a project for 2 weeks, if we worked on something else then we were "wasting time". After the project ended, successfully, the CEO said our effort was "pathetic" for pushing other projects to the side. We literally had no time/energy to focus on anything else at the request of management.

Advice to Management

Honestly this review is for prospective employees not for management since everything that was said isn't anything new and they haven't changed. Instead of making changes they've asked employees to right favorable reviews to increase the rating. That's how the executives operate. The saving grace are the co-workers although many of them have moved on.
    If you want to be valued as an employee and a person, Equilar is not the place for you.

Nov 13, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

First, I am disappointed that your experience with management wasn't great. Thanks for the details as it helps us to improve. I would like to address several of the opinions you shared.

The... More

"RA"

I worked at Equilar (Less than a year)

Pros

The team morale is amazing! The work culture is pretty nice!

Cons

Management doesn't care about facts and goes ahead with their opinion without a proper groundwork.

Nov 8, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I am glad the team morale and culture is positive. During our monthly company meetings we cover topics including those that communicate why we pursue the strategies chosen. Facts are gathered and... More

"Senior Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They do a free monthly lunch

Cons

Where do I begin. CEO is absolutely deranged.

Advice to Management

Catch a clue

Nov 8, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I sincerely wish that this review had more content. There is very inconsistent content. We do not have Senior Sales people in the Human Resources function. Normally we discuss all reviews with the... More

"Company culture isn't great, but even if it were better, the job is inescapably boring"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A small company with high turnover means that you can expand outside of your core work pretty quickly and easily if you're proactive about it. Additionally, since it's not consulting work with clients/projects to bill, you don't have to track your hours, meaning that you have fairly wide latitude to work on whatever projects you want once your core work is finished.

Low stress work and never more than 40 hours outside of busy season (March and April).

Cons

Of course, the low stress nature of the job is also a negative. It's tough for most people to really feel invested in or excited about providing executive compensation data, and the core work itself is of the Sisyphean "pushing a rock up a hill over and over" variety that never gives you a satisfying feeling of accomplishment or even just completion. And the task itself is mind-numbing.

The way that the task is structured means that you're constantly receiving negative feedback about what you did wrong, never anything positive. That takes a psychic toll. My manager was great and upbeat in 1-on-1 meetings, but that's a once-a-week thing, and not all managers were like that.

The pay is low, and there's not a ton of upward mobility. Making matters worse, I don't think there's much lateral applicability of the experiences or skills developed, outside of things like getting better at SQL or Excel macros, and the field of executive compensation is pretty thin.

The very low employee morale makes everything worse. Who wants to work at a place where no one is excited about what they're doing or feels that they're contributing/creating something of value, where everyone talks about leaving, and where the company feels very cheap on top of all that?

Advice to Management

It's tough, because reading through DEF14s until your eyes bleed searching for percentage of performance metrics achieved is both the core task of the job and also just cannot be made interesting. That said, morale doesn't have to be as low as it is. The combination of low pay, focus on Errors, and weird cheapness feeling (like, is someone going to comment on how long my break is?) makes research analysts feel pretty unvalued and low status. Even if they aren't super valuable, it's probably not a great idea to let them feel that way.

Specifically about the focus on Errors.. I understand that the published reports need to be error-free. But the process to get to that point doesn't need to feel so high-pressure and perfectionist. For instance, instead of having taggers try to be just as perfect as publishers, have taggers aim for speed within a reasonable error rate. Then have specific times for tests to be a publisher where the goal changes to perfection. That way, most of the time Errors are just low-stakes things to learn from rather than something that cause you to feel like you've failed and set you back without the ability to recover for another 40 tags.

Aug 16, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I will relay your feedback to the Research Managers. Your comments are well thought out and your suggestions make sense. Once a year when public companies file their proxies, we have to get the... More

"Employee"

I have been working at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have monthly lunches free

Cons

You will not find a more dysfunctional organization than this company. The CEO is not right in the head,

Advice to Management

Hold ALL of your employees to the same standard

Aug 15, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I appreciate the feedback, but wish there was something more specific to address in the cons area. We do read all reviews and try to act where something is actionable. Nonetheless, I hope you find... More

"Everyone Contributes to Company Success!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every position has a direct impact on the company's success. In a very goal-oriented environment, individuals and departments collaborate to achieve targets.
    The work we do is at the heart of corporate America and front-page national news. It's exciting to know we are impacting not just our own company's growth but also the way corporate boards think about and respond to important issues.

Cons

There's so much business opportunity that sometimes some tasks risk cannibalizing others.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees' contributions in meaningful ways. Continue to foster an environment that rewards team-work, critical thinking and meeting goals.

Aug 23, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

Thank you for the great feedback and for confirming that everyone is part of the success of the company. We have several ways to recognize contributions. The weekly
    "Shout Out" allows... More

"One of the best places I ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great and vibrant team.
    - Management has a clear vision and always working towards that.
    - Excellent benefits.

Cons

- Doesn't promote work from home.

Advice to Management

More thoughts should be put on 'what else can be achieved within the current domain so that growth can be even higher.'

Jul 13, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

Thanks for your review and over 3 years of service! We realize that the number of public companies we service is not growing so fast. Look at our BoardEdge product and you'll see that we are... More

9. "CEO is amazing!"

I have been working at Equilar part-time

Pros

Before working at Equilar as the EA to the CEO, I read some negative reviews about him on this site. Thankfully, they were highly inaccurate. I found him to be very easy to work for and with, very business-focused, and delightful. He has had a very positive impact on my professional growth, and I found him to be extremely encouraging!

Cons

There's not enough administrative work to support my role in a full-time capacity.

Mar 8, 2017 – VP Products

Thank you for your feedback. I once worked at a company where everyone complained that the CEO was a bit disconnected to the people and business. That's not a problem at Equilar! I've never seen a... More

10. "Great Company with Growth"

Current Employee - Research Analyst II
    Current Employee - Research Analyst II

I have been working at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Equilar has been an absolute blessing, especially as my first job out of college. The vision of the senior management is set up for growth in the industry, the Company and each and every employee. If you are dedicated and have a good work ethic, you will be asked to take on more responsibility and gain invaluable experience in the Board Intelligence, Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance fields. As a research analyst, you work hands-on with a bunch of different data from sources (8-K, 10K, DEF 14A, etc.) and publish it for our clients' use, daily. You quickly become engulfed in the industry and have the potential to have a publication such as the Wall Street Journal pick up data that you worked on and run it as a story.

The culture at Equilar is a great aspect of the job as well. The entire research team is very close, and employees from different teams are not only coworkers, but also friends.

Cons

The work/life balance can be a little challenging because of some late nights in the office, but the best way to deal with the separation is to carve out daily time to not think about work and use vacation days.