Equilar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Equilar CEO David Chun
David Chun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Engineering at Equilar provides a good work-life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "For junior employees, Equilar is a great place to start your career" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is little opportunity to work from home" (in 5 reviews)

• "There is also absolutely no work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

"Still one of the best!"

Current Employee - EVP in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - EVP in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at 8 companies in my career and I've never seen such genuine concern over the well being of the employees. Of course, this concern is only offered to those who are committed and hardworking. The benefits are amazing for a "startup" company. $1,000-3,000 each year to learn new things, take classes, go to events. Paid holiday week shutdown, 401k matching, forgivable loans for home purchase and higher education. These are just some of the benefits for all employees! Higher level employees can share in company ownership and profit distribution.

The CEO is committed to the goals of the company and to making the corporate world a better place through proper governance. It's been a 18 year journey and he shows no sign of letting up. He has high expectations of the employees and those who show engagement and potential can expect great rewards.

Finally for entry level people, there are plenty of opportunities to gain skills and learn more. The company values commitment and attitude. I've been here 3 years and I'm still charged up!

Cons

The company deals in deep data gathering and analytics. Sometimes that can be tedious as we look for relationships and minute details in data. You have to deal.

Teamwork is best done when members are present. There is little opportunity to work from home.

Mixed pro and con. The company is very enterprise focused, although we operate in an environment that is fixated on startups. It's often difficult to keep some employees long term as the attraction to "cool" startups is very high. As a result, there's turnover that an affect key teams.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on the greater long term goal. There is clear evidence that its' working. The reward is steady but you cannot get distracted too much by the naysayers.

Continue to find new markets and develop new products with a careful measurement to understand when things are going off the rails.

Do more to communicate to employees so they understand and can take advantage of what the company has to offer. Don't assume they know what is available.

2. "Awful First Job"

I worked at Equilar full-time

Pros

- they hire smart (vastly overqualified!) people for this role in "classes," so you usually form a close bond with the fellow new-hires

Cons

- was lied to about compensation upon being hired
    - they sell you on the rotation program, but in reality you are hired for nothing more than a data entry position

Advice to Management

BE MORE TRANSPARENT! Don't con fresh-out-of-college talent into taking a job that's going to slow their career!

"***DON'T JOIN THE COMPANY***"

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't even think any Pros.

Cons

1) Company culture is really bad.They assume if you stay until night in the company then your are good employee.
    2) Female leader are dominating.
    3)Leader and CEO don't care about employee.
    4)People are blamed for small mistake.
    5)I wish can give zero star to company

"One year of experience"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros -
    You can start as a research analyst and one day become a Dev/PM/Automation QE/Quality Engineer, etc. I’ve seen my co-workers invested their free time to gain new skills and transitioned into new roles in the company.

The heads of Engineering are very approachable people. They do mentor you if come to them with an attitude to learn.

A lot of room to learn and improve. I can only speak from my team, my manager has always been very cool and treated me professionally. When I’m in need of help she would assist me. I joined the team less than 2 months and she allowed me to restructure the whole automation framework. She gave me ample time to learn about performance testing and build a framework that we still use today. She understands that commuting can be hell at times and if you need to work from home once in a while it is fine. I’ve never experienced any micro-managing from her.

Management has changed for the better, and I will give two concrete examples. Stock options are not just for the Senior level any longer. Upper management does not like it when we stay late, surprised? Well, I was when I found out about 4 or 5 months ago. The issue was addressed and now my team has never stayed later than an hour or two on release day. I have never had to work on weekends. If I am working on the weekend it is either taking the classes paid for by my LGL program or skills I’m trying to improve.

For those who are interviewing and reading through glassdoor reviews for any clue or tips. I was in your shoes a year ago, I was super nervous to point where I wasn’t going to show up to the last interview. My advice is don’t worry, there are plenty of free candies so grab some. The people here are nice so be yourself. Good Luck!

Cons

Cons -
    Pay can be better
    Commute is terrible but it’s the bay

Advice to Management

There are some great talent, Management should try to find a way to keep the morale up and retain them.

Jan 18, 2018 – EVP Products & Engineering

We are on a never ending mission to shift the culture of the company and appreciate that it has had a positive effect for you. We recognize that people just entering a new company or job, much less... More

"It will probably never change for the better."

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• There are smart and friendly people who work here.
    • You will make a lot of connections because turnover is so high.
    • Nice location in Redwood City, which is becoming a well-developed and fun area.
    • Please take the cons below seriously. I understand its lengthy, but I wanted to be comprehensive about the issues I see at Equilar so you may have insight into the company you are considering applying to.

Cons

• CEO: The CEO (David Chun) is the biggest and main problem with this company. Most of the cons below are a direct result of David’s inability to trust other people or value their opinions or needs.
    • Micromanagement:
    -David micromanages almost everything.
    > His direct reports then micromanage their employees to ensure everything David wants gets done accordingly. Its physically and mentally exhausting to deal with.
    > He holds meetings not to be involved or to offer support to his employees, but to find out if they are doing things exactly how he wants.
    > The only way you can hide from it is if you are just starting your career in Research.
    • Compensation:
    > David’s idea of compensating his employees is insulting.
    > Compensation starts low and raises are only a small percentage of your annual salary.
    > Its especially disturbing when you consider his company sells data to help benchmark compensation.
    > Its unclear whether he doesn’t understand that not everyone has the bank account he has, or if he simply does not care, but the way in which he compensates his employees is unacceptable and shows a complete lack of respect for the cost of living in the Bay Area.
    • Do not disagree with the CEO:
    -If you disagree with David, you won’t necessarily lose your job right away, but you will not be happy. He wants to hear yes from his employees. He does NOT want to hear your opinions or ideas. No one can deny this. If you are being interviewed and they try to tell you this is being changed, they are lying to you. It will never change.
    • Work from home “policy”:
    -You can work from home if you are an established sales employee or….well I am not sure what the criteria is for other departments. Some people work from home and its fine, others are not allowed to.
    • Work Hours:
    -Don’t be late to work or leave work early. If Dave or an exec finds out, you will be monitored meticulously.
    -Let it be clear, it does not matter why you are arriving late or leaving early, simply do not get caught by the CEO or another exec. They will assume you always work those hours and will try to control your schedule going forward.
    -These rules do not apply to everyone however. Dave, just a heads-up but if you let certain high up employees come in late everyday, people start to notice the hypocrisy. Just like your attitude towards your employees being late, they don’t care why these higher ups are getting in late. Treat people the same. Its disrespectful.
    • The CEO and other executives will openly scream at employees in meetings in an attempt to motivate them.
    • The CEO will also talk badly about employees who are not in the room. It’s disgusting.
    • Turnover:
    -Turnover is outrageous but not surprising given the cons listed so far. It must be around 40 to 50 percent each year. Don’t quote me on this, I am not claiming this range to be exactly accurate, but its very high.
    -They somehow hire enough every year to replenish, but this turnover rate is not the sign of a successful company. Do not let them tell you it’s a result of having a younger workforce which has employees leave for grad school; while that’s true for a few people, most leave because they hate it here and find better opportunities.
    • Wheel Spinning:
    -Please read a few of the other reviews which detail this debacle. It’s too depressing and I do not wish to detail it myself.

Advice to Management

Although I am currently an employee, I do not expect David to make any changes because these issues have been apparent for some time now and very little substantial work has been done to improve the situation. I wrote this to provide some insight (Equilar Insight?!) into the issues at this company for potential candidates to be aware of. That seems like the moral thing to do.

I do need the other leaders to understand that while you all may think you have put in genuine effort to improve the company culture and lessen the severity of these issues, it’s hard to believe you care about anything other than appeasing David. You lead a work culture where people are genuinely afraid of making mistakes for fear of being fired, and that is the only motivation they have to work. That is depressing and sad. That’s not the workplace you should be proud of. I am not proud of it, that’s for sure.

If you are true leaders, you will start to encourage the people you hire to use their skillsets and unique experiences to help both the company and their own careers, instead of screaming at them and demeaning them in meetings. If you aren’t the one contributing to an issue, then be the one that stops it. These are real people, they have feelings, they have families to feed, they have relatives they may need to call during the day, they have appointments to go to, they have traffic to sit in…they have issues to deal with besides the ones that this company has created for them. Please don’t respond to this by stating that they should just leave if they are unhappy, because its not that easy for some people. Their situation goes beyond what you see at work, and as their employer you should care about that. Instead of dismissing your employees’ concerns, genuinely try to do something about it.

Feb 9, 2018 – EVP Products & Engineering

I am not the CEO, but I report to him. I'd like to offer a few observations based on experience and events I have seen. I read all the reviews and I bring up the concerning comments with him in our... More

"A view from Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of reviews here from current or former members of Equilar's Research and Sales departments. Since I'm not in those departments, I don't want to comment on them, or appear to invalidate the experiences of those who have. But I'd like to give my view from the Engineering department!

I've been working at Equilar for a few years now, and I enjoy my job! After an initial period of proving myself an effective engineer, I have grown into a more senior role. I am treated with respect, consulted when appropriate, not overloaded with meetings or micro-managed, and allowed to solve technical problems as I see fit. The Engineering department is generally well-managed, very diverse, and nobody is a jerk. All my coworkers are helpful and want to do a good job.

Engineering is split into two sides: one side is focused on our emerging business (centered around BoardEdge), while the other handles our existing products (Insight and friends). Equilar is a profitable 17-year-old company that can afford to fund its own new ventures. So the BoardEdge side has similarities to a startup, but not beholden to the whims of VCs! Even on Insight, there are exciting new product directions, and addressing technical debt is taken as a priority, so the burden of legacy code is often alleviated. In terms of technology, we use Java 8, Spring Boot, the latest version of PostgreSQL, Jenkins CI, Chef, Redis, ElasticSearch, some AWS, Docker... the list goes on. Plenty of opportunities to exposure yourself to new things and grow in your career.

Engineering at Equilar provides a good work-life balance. The teams are managed using Agile/Scrum techniques, so each sprint is pre-planned by diligent and knowledgable Product Managers to avoid overloading. Employees go home to their families at normal and consistent times. As long as the work is getting done, all reasonable requests are granted, and people are treated as adults acting in good faith. Managers promote career advancement of their team members, and the overall VP is an inspiring leader who listens to his team and directs without being overly imposing.

All of my interactions with the CEO have been positive. He is the founder and very invested in the company he built, and with a lot of market knowledge he is often a source of new product ideas, but I've never experienced any micro-management from him. On the contrary, I have been trusted with increasingly important projects and allowed to own them.

There is a lot of opportunity at a mid-size company like Equilar. If you're willing to put in the effort, there are so many interesting data-oriented projects that will give you exposure to new technologies, improve your career potential, and allow you to shine in a visible way. If you have the motivation, the skill, and a willingness to learn, you will be encouraged to run with it. For junior employees, Equilar is a great place to start your career. If you're from another country, Equilar will sponsor your H-1B visa, and this will not make you some kind of second-class-citizen contractor. Many of our best and most valued employees came through the H-1B process and now have green cards.

I'll highlight one benefit, the LGL program that reimburses professional development (conferences, courses, books, whatever). The company understands how important this is. I have a friend at a household-name tech unicorn whose professional development budget is 1/6 of mine.

Disclaimer: I was not compelled or pressured in any way to write this review. The opinions here are my own, not a "plant" of any kind.

Cons

There are not many cons for me, but I can list a few things that others often consider downsides.

Compensation is reasonable but not at the top of the range. Some of this is due to the nature of the company. While profitable, Equilar is not a giant public company that can give six-figure signing bonuses or double your total comp by printing more RSUs. However, despite being a closely-held private company, Equilar does provide profit-sharing, and after some years of option grants vesting, senior employees in Engineering are doing quite well for themselves.

Depending on the role, working from home may or may not be possible. Accommodations are made, especially for non-customer-facing engineers, but very few employees are dedicated WFH. For those whose main duties involve attending in-person meetings, onsite presence during business hours is expected. I consider this reasonable, but it has been an issue for others who have long commutes.

Unless you invest in individual stocks, and actually read the proxy statements you get in the mail, you will probably have little knowledge of Equilar's business, which occupies a unique niche. It will take you several months to get up to speed with the terminology and the relationships between different entities. During this time, you may feel lost and become discouraged. Communication with your manager and coworkers at this stage is important.

Advice to Management

Once you find and identify top employees, continue to invest in them and do all that you can to retain them. Not just in engineering, but other departments as well. A role can be filled with another hire, but the loss of institutional knowledge and team synergy is very significant. Turnover in Silicon Valley is tough for everyone, but often it's avoidable if nipped in the bud.

Promote good morale by listening to employees and addressing their concerns as much as possible. The front lines know the most about actual conditions on the ground, and they talk amongst each other.

Optimize the marketing/sales pipeline to ensure we're following up on our best leads and turning them into deals!

Execute on your vision and keep driving towards it!

Dec 14, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

Thank you for taking the time out to post a thoughtful review. 2018 will have great focus on optimizing the marketing and sales pipeline just as you mentioned. We know we have industry leading... More

"Look Elsewhere"

I have been working at Equilar full-time

Pros

Fairly good health and 401K benefits
    They will have a free lunch once a month

Cons

Difficult to find where to start, so I’ll try to have some sort of organization here. Keep in mind I am in a prospect facing position, so a lot of this applies to that role. You can probably hide under the radar for a while as an analyst, but that job is really for recent college grads. If you take that role, make sure you are out in a year at most. DO NOT under any circumstances work in Sales or Client Services.

Pay:
    Below average. This wouldn’t be as bad of an issue if the culture wasn’t so toxic (I’ll explain more about that below). The company will acknowledge the pay is below average and will say that Equilar positions employees to achieve higher salaried positions later on. Possibly that is true, but it isn’t right when you pay below average but expect employees to put in hours and dedication appropriate for a position that pays way more. Fine, pay less, but then expect productivity/dedication that reflects that compensation and don’t chide people for not working after hours, weekends, etc.

Product:
    Equilar has managed to produce a service that nobody else really seems too. Good on them. But, it is an incredibly boring product. There is nothing exciting about what you work on. This isn’t a flaw in the company and, in fact, it is probably its only strength; however, understand (in spite of what the company suggests) this is not something that any person I have ever spoken to has become passionate about.

Culture:
    The company culture is really the main reason you should avoid this place. It is beyond just toxic. It’s an experience that will make you miserable. I believe the company knows this, which is why they prompt employees to post favorable Glassdoor reviews. They may say that they are trying to get a “balanced” view. However, think about it. If your boss sends you an email asking you to post a Glassdoor review about the company, isn’t that pressuring you to write a positive one? While it may be the case the reviews are anonymous, if a review doesn’t show up after that email they then know you ignored it. Or, if a negative review pops up right after, then they may suspect it’s you. As such, this is unfair and unprofessional pressure on employees to present the company in a positive light when many may not wish to.

You will be micromanaged like a child. Basically, your job will just be making sure you aren’t being called out on erroneous things. Ironically, this makes for a much less efficient workforce since people aren’t focused on performing better at their job but, rather, are simply avoiding being called out by management for not responding to some pointless email they sent out.

You will be subject to crass and unprofessional behavior from certain executives. There is no rhyme or reason to how to avoid being on the "bad" side. It's just arbitrary. So, don't think that you can just be a great performer and avoid this behavior. You will experience this.

I could get into further details, but I don't wish to be redundant. Look at the other negative reviews and look at how many people "upvote" those versus the positive reviews. That is because many more people feel that it is an accurate depiction of the company than the "positive" reviews.

To wrap this all together, this is a place to avoid unless your only other option is to be unemployed.

Advice to Management

Nothing really to say to management. Changes have been promised and they have tried to make themselves seem reasonable on Glassdoor; however, actions speak louder than words. Management hasn’t taken any action and there is no reason to believe they will any time soon.

Jan 9, 2018 – EVP Products & Engineering

I am really disappointed that your experience has been unfavorable. Reading through your review, it's clear that there are several areas we have to work on. As part of the management staff, I will... More

"People Aren't a Virus!"

I worked at Equilar full-time

Pros

Good for new graduates to get their feet wet in the corporate environment.

Cons

Where to start? Read my advice to management.

Advice to Management

I would advise not to make your emotions known to your current employees when people decide to leave the company. Managers at this company have publicly stated that they're "happy" certain people left because they're "viruses". 30+ of your most valued and high-performing people don't decide to leave within the same year because they're a "virus", they leave because there is something terribly wrong with how the company is run. Disregard the below market pay and the lack of resources put into driving employee satisfaction, the real virus is at the top and it's affecting the most hard-working and talented people you have (should I say had). Execs at the top have instilled a culture that suck the life out of people who were really successful at previous employers. It takes leaving to find that passion and joy again.

Another piece of advice is not to make people feel like they're replaceable. They'll turn around and make your company replaceable and go out to find another job that's more satisfying and immensely more worth while.

This company has a great product/service, but it will never take off with the current management. There's a reason why this company continues to flatline on growth. It's because it doesn't realize its people are its soul.

I hope all the current employees realize their true worth and find something else worth while.

Dec 14, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

I agree that managers need to keep their emotions in check. Turnover is one of the top issues at tech companies and our company is not immune. I will discuss this with HR to incorporate into... More

"Read all the reviews carefully"

I worked at Equilar full-time

Pros

-Co-workers under the senior management level are great, they are relatively young and friendly
    -The industry is interesting as there are actual applications for the data we capture but it is very niche
    -Constant turnover opens up opportunities
    -CEO is smart but not a good leader
    -Free Cal-Train pass

Cons

There are many issues and it starts with management:
    -The five star reviews are planted and the company is responding to the glassdoor reviews by saying they asked employees to post reviews in order to balance out the rating. However, management asks employees to write positive reviews.
    -There is constant turnover, they struggle to retain talented people. Some of it is because of the industry but most of it is below average compensation and not valuing employees. They compensate below the market average, true the benefits add to the value but most companies that are profitable and been around for 15+ years offer the same packages, that's a lazy excuse to underpay. For example, the company changes their research analysts from hourly to salary before proxy season in order to avoid paying overtime, with the expectation they work 50+ hours a week including weekends and label it a "promotion". This is a job not a career and management has done nothing to change that. Their "Learn Grow Lead" program is a joke, I applied for LGL to take classes in order to help out the company because of gaps due to turnover and my request was ignored by my supervisor.
    -The company especially the CEO sees the employees as replaceable. Management doesn't understand the value of retaining employees, they rather go out and hire someone else. This messes with team chemistry and puts more workload on the existing employee without being fairly compensated for it. I have been in meetings where they say if you don't agree with a certain idea then you should find another place to work (This is why leaving constructive feedback to the company is useless). They want yes men and are only receptive to ideas that are in line with their current agenda, which changes all the time.
    -Company morale is low due to the compensation, management disconnect and constant micro-managing. They say "We don't micro-manage" and in the same meeting they will lay out what you have to focus on each hour of each day and then monitor how you spend those hours. They plan out your day and have constant check-ins. Don't say you trust us and you don't micro-manage then turnaround and do it. Recently they added a put a 2 way camera so they can monitor what the sales team does while their VP is in Chicago. Again Equilar said it's to increase collaboration between the two offices...there has been 2 conversations in 6 weeks...it's a glorified baby monitor.
    -There is also absolutely no work-life balance. If you're not working outside of the office or on the weekends then you're "not going the extra mile", did I mention unfair compensation.
    -There are constant mixed signals from senior management. Our whole department was asked to dedicate 7 out of 8 hours a day on a project for 2 weeks, if we worked on something else then we were "wasting time". After the project ended, successfully, the CEO said our effort was "pathetic" for pushing other projects to the side. We literally had no time/energy to focus on anything else at the request of management.

Advice to Management

Honestly this review is for prospective employees not for management since everything that was said isn't anything new and they haven't changed. Instead of making changes they've asked employees to right favorable reviews to increase the rating. That's how the executives operate. The saving grace are the co-workers although many of them have moved on.
    If you want to be valued as an employee and a person, Equilar is not the place for you.

Nov 13, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

First, I am disappointed that your experience with management wasn't great. Thanks for the details as it helps us to improve. I would like to address several of the opinions you shared.

The... More

10. "Good opportunity for technical growth!!!"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great and helpful people to work with, good opportunity specially for beginners for technical growth, I really like "Learn Grow Lead" Program. Free lunch once in a month, Fruits, team outings. Good work-life balance. No pressure.

Cons

Nothing specific. Company is making efforts to improve and grow day by day.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aug 23, 2017 – EVP Products & Engineering

Technology these days change so fast that it's impossible for any one person to know it all. This is why we foster the LGL (Learn Grow Lead) program to provide cash for employees to explore. One of... More