Equilar Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equilar CEO David Chun
David Chun

Pros
  • It's still a relatively small company, so you can make a huge impact if you are willing to step up (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to get career started (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also absolutely no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Moreover, since so many analysts have left the company for better opportunities, this year's proxy season has been the worst one yet (in 7 reviews)

"One of the best places I ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great and vibrant team.
    - Management has a clear vision and always working towards that.
    - Excellent benefits.

Cons

- Doesn't promote work from home.

Advice to Management

More thoughts should be put on 'what else can be achieved within the current domain so that growth can be even higher.'

"READ the reviews thoroughly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Co-workers under the senior management level are great, they are relatively young and friendly
    -The industry is interesting as there are actual applications for the data we capture
    -CEO is smart but not a good leader
    -Free Cal-Train pass
    -The constant turnover exposes you to different parts of the business, very valuable for a first time job but not a place to start a career

Cons

There are many issues and it starts with management:
    -The five star reviews are fake, the person responding to these reviews has already stated they asked employees to post reviews in order to balance out the rating. If employees truly felt happy, you wouldn't need to ask them to post 5 star reviews.
    -There is constant turnover, they struggle to retain talented people. Some of it is because of the industry but most of it is below average compensation and not valuing employees. They compensate below the market average, true the benefits add to the value but most companies that are profitable and been around for 15+ years offer the same packages, that's a lazy excuse to underpay. For example the company changes their research analysts from hourly to salary before proxy season, they avoid paying overtime, with the expectation the analysts work 50+ hours a week including weekends. This is a job not a career and management has done nothing to change that.
    -The company especially the CEO sees the employees as replaceable. Management doesn't understand the value of retaining employees, they rather go out and hire someone else. This messes with team chemistry and puts more workload on the existing employee without being fairly compensated for it. I have been in meetings where they say if you don't agree with a certain idea then you should find another place to work. They want yes men and are only receptive to ideas that are in line with their current agenda, which changes all the time. This company has the potential to 2.5-3x more than current revenue if they put value into employee retention.
    -Company morale is low due to the compensation, management disconnect and constant micro-managing. They say "We don't micro-manage" and even say it in meetings, then in the same meeting they will say here's what you have to focus on each day of the week, the first ____ hours are dedicated to this and so on. They plan out your day and have constant check-ins. Don't say you trust us and you don't micro-manage then turnaround and do it.
    -The in-office perks aren't that great for a silicon valley company, there is a ping pong and foosball table but using them brings negative judgement from senior management.
    -There is also absolutely no work-life balance. If you're not working outside of the office or on the weekends then you're "not going the extra mile", expectations that have been clearly outlined in meetings, did I mention unfair compensation.
    -There are constant mixed signals from senior management. Our whole department was asked to dedicate 7 out of 8 hours a day on a project for 2 weeks, if we worked on something else then we were "wasting time". After the project ended, successfully, the CEO said our effort was "pathetic" for pushing other projects to the side. We literally had no time/energy to focus on anything else at the request of management.
    -There are a couple managers that care about their team as a whole but most of them will throw you under the bus in meetings, especially with the CEO.

Advice to Management

Honestly this review if for prospective employees not for management since everything that was said isn't new and they haven't changed. Instead of making changes management asked employees to right favorable reviews to increase the rating. That's how they operate. The saving grace are the co-workers although many of them have moved on.

Apr 20, 2017 – VP Products

As the person who initiated the efforts to improve our Glassdoor image, I am being as transparent as possible and really appreciate all points of view. There are a wide variety of experiences at ... More

"Sweet Spot between an early stage startup & a Big Corporation"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been in companies both big and small and Equilar is the sweet spot between an early stage startup (worrying about your next paycheck) and a big corporation (where your contribution is a drop in the bucket). Equilar comes with a wealth of data about executives, has a great brand in the c-suite of top public companies with great opportunities to build new products catering to executives.

Career Growth
    Whether you are a fresh graduate out of school or already in a leadership position, Equilar helps you grow in your career at a pretty fast pace by exposing one to opportunities outside of your job description.

Engineering & Products Culture
    The culture within the engineering & products team is great (the one I work closely with). Most people have been here for a long time and are very passionate about the products they build.

Cons

The culture demands a face time at work from 9-5 - which is reasonable thinking about it. But the bay area traffic does make it challenging at times. Need to plan your day around the traffic. And yes, being pro-active helps.

Mar 8, 2017 – VP Products

Regarding the commute. Equilar tries to ease the commute demands by offering free Caltrain passes. If you have to drive we offer free parking or a stipend to cover parking fees near our HQ. We all ... More

"A unique (profitable) Silicon Valley Startup"

Current Employee - Vice President Products in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Products in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has survived 17 years thus far and has been profitable for the last several years running. The benefits are unheard of for a startup (401K matching, profit sharing, paid holiday shutdown week over Christmas and New Years, charitable matching, paid learning program $1-3K yearly, free Caltrain pass, New Homebuyer assistance, advanced education assistance, full healthcare coverage options, onsite gym, etc.)

The company understands the market it serves and it is testing new markets, but failure doesn't mean that it shuts down as the core business is strong. The size of the company allows employees to know everyone if they wish and the management has monthly company update meetings to let people know how things are going.

The CEO is extremely driven and knows the marketspace cold. He does have very high expectations of the employees and does not put up with much mediocrity. He is very actively engaged with all parts of the business and is the ultimate driver of the company. Finally, the location is right on the edge of downtown. Not only is it about a 10 minute walk from Caltrain, but there are a ton of great places to walk to for lunches.

Cons

Like most startups, this isn't a 9-5 job. It is not the place to go if you are not "all-in". As the company explores new markets, there will be missteps and corrections made. That's to be expected of any company trying to develop a new market, however; it can be a downer when downsizing happens.

Base salaries are low-mid for the valley, but if you add in benefits and can get into the profit sharing program, you can do really well.

Another thing to be aware of is that the company is a data analytics company. You'll be dealing with a lot of data gathering and that can be boring for some folks, especially if you are the one doing all the gathering. There's a yearly crunch called "proxy season" where the research department must process all company filings within a few days. It's a monumental effort and does require extended hours a few months out of the year. If you are looking at a Research job, be ready for this crunchtime.

The rotation program has a con. It's great that the company let's people explore other disciplines. So many come in to learn the research aspect of the business and quickly move into things like product management, development, marketing or quality assurance. If they find something they like, they move to the other department or sometimes leave for another company. Since a large part of the company population is this research crew, it can feel like there's higher than normal turnover.

Advice to Management

Continue to cautiously explore new markets, but be sure to have realistic expectations based on the number of staff assigned to each initiative. It takes some time for people to really internalize new initiatives and many have to be convinced over time.

All the great benefits are no good if people do not use them! Make sure that communications is ongoing and check often to make sure people understand what is available. Spend more time on internal marketing so that employees know what the company is trying to do and why.

With the new BoardEdge product and mobile applications, the company is heading for a huge inflection point where hypergrowth can become a distinct possibility. Stay the course and don't stray too far. There are lots of opportunities but the company needs to focus on fewer things that'll have greater impact.

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great summer internship at Equilar. I learned so much and had a lot of fun in the process. Everything was great! Every employee there is awesome! Equilar really made me feel like a part of the family; both the engineering and business departments. CEO and upper management were really nice. Dave the CEO even joined our table at one of the company free lunch and got to know him and chat. He seems to be a really nice guy that is passionate about Equilar. I was on the Engage team, they were all really great people to work with!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Great and getting even better!"

Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm both amazed and aghast by the reviews I've seen here and am compelled to set the record straight.

The Company: On a mission to improve corporate governance and, by extension, capitalism. Equilar has been self-funded & profitable since inception and owes nothing to anyone other than it's shareholders/ employees. This company is small but poised for tremendous growth and, as such, no place for slackers.

The Culture: We are an "all hands on deck" kind of place. Do your part, and you'll be well embraced & rewarded. It's where people come to work because they believe in the mission and their co-workers. If you're looking to get paid to go to a daycare center; this is no place for you!

The Products: SaaS since inception. No legacy systems to get in the way! Quality and usability are always topics of conversation. I'm not an engineer but get to work regularly with the products team and can attest that they are a talented bunch that is accessible and interested in what peers and customers are thinking. Atypical compared to other software companies for which I've worked.

Management & Leadership: Top shelf in my view. All managers sit with their teams, not in offices. The CEO has, by necessity, his office but spends the majority of his time meeting with colleagues or working from the sales floor... Yes, he still makes sales calls! He and his executive team are very involved and engaged in both tactical and strategic areas. That said, I have not observed any micro-management. If you can run your business, no one gets in your way. I find them to be very approachable and they know everyone on a first-name basis.

In summary: You can work a lot of places in the Valley, but if you want to work on cutting edge solutions, contribute to something greater than your self-interest while working with a great team of people. You may find your "home" here.

Cons

Bay area traffic, in general, and my commute specifically. Why people can't keep their wits about them long enough to drive to work amazes me!

Some of our business partners have interests that are not aligned. If my business model were in the same jeopardy as theirs, perhaps I would act the same. I hope not...

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the long-term vision and finding the right people to grow the company. As for all the negative reviews... "The coyotes howl, but the train rolls on!"

"WORST LEADERSHIP I EVER ENCOUNTERED- FEMALES BEWARE!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is located in downtown Redwood City, close to cal-train and walking distance to a variety of options of places to escape for lunch.

Cons

- The current CEO is the definition of a horrible leader. He takes the great people he hires for granted, plays favorites, has his mind made up before listening to input, creates an atmosphere of fear and though he may say innovation is encouraged you will be penalized or immediately shut down for it.

- To FEMALES: This office is a man's world & condescending. It is extremely sexist towards women. If you do not yield to management expect to see that they will find ways to make your life miserable there even if you are performing above and beyond male counterparts in same role.

-To POTENTIAL CANDIDATES: If you bring up the Glassdoor reviews in your interviews to help you decide whether or not these reviews are biased or not, expect to be told by management that they are working on a culture change and attempt to sell you on the fact that they want you to be apart of it. I believed I could make a positive impact but this is IMPOSSIBLE with the extremely poor management.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire management team and have the CEO retire. Rip and replace as that is the only hope for the company.

Feb 13, 2017 – VP Products

Equilar has female leaders in the Executive, Sr. Director, Director and Engineering Team lead positions. In fact, 2/3rds of our Sr. Directors and 1/2 of our engineering leads are female. They have ... More

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is great! Close to Caltrain, good restaurants, and coffee.

Cons

You are not allowed to have any ideas that are different from the CEO. Women are expected to work harder than men, but are paid less than men in equal positions. Employees are not treated equally and there is no schedule flexibility. Everyone quits because of the CEO, but he blames other managers. Opportunities to “step up” are really opportunities to work harder than everyone else and get fired.
    If you travel with the company, you will have to share a hotel room and may have to share one with the CEO.
    There is a gym, but if you use it at lunch or anytime the CEO does not think appropriate you are judged harshly. Micromanaging is the worst I have ever seen. There are so many meetings pointless meetings that it is impossible to get work done.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and move on. Advice to Employees: Get a new job fast! You will be much happier.

"Compensation"

Former Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equilar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company seems to be stable.

Cons

Pretty low compensation compare to other companies. In 2016 they offered me the same money, I was making 15 years ago.

Advice to Management

level up the compensation

"Good people, tough place"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Equilar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, good people.

Cons

Lack of communication from exec team.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the success of your employees. Be more transparent with communication