Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office (in 22 reviews)

• I have worked in the Operations field for over 11 years and have worked in the data center industry for 8 (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to pay more attention to work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Some typical process and systems growing pains (in 14 reviews)

"Unmatched Company Culture"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Strong Company Culture: There's a difference between saying your company prides itself on a strong culture and actually living up to the initiative. Managers have an open door policy, communications are always delivered with transparency, and your input is never disregarded.

-"Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office. The effort put forth is always backed by passion.

-Fast pace environment: this is often seen as a "con" however success isn't reached without momentum. Equinix serves and provides for an industry that is growing at a rapid pace, those on the back end need to keep up.

-Always looking to improve their strategy: If there are gaps in either internal or external communications the company doesn't sweep it under the rug. Different organizations are constantly developing strategies to troubleshoot and identify the problem to improve moving forward.

In addition, the company does not have strong hierarchical barriers. It doesn't matter if you're a VP or an associate, the communication you have with those within the company are always respected. Executives are humble and care about their employees.

Cons

So far I have not identified any cons in my experience as both a contractor and now full-time employee.

"Great Company, Great Outlook, but room for improvement"

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture has adapted well over the past three years. Top Management (Chiefs) listens and responds well. The stock doing well doesn't hurt either.

Cons

It's tough communicating upwards within departments (to VPs). VPs will talk through people instead of being direct.

Titles matter too much to many employees that work there.

VPs can be too focused to hit internal figures instead of focused on improving the world and our industry.

It's very tough for entry-to-mid level employees to work your way "up".

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on improving the world, even if it might hurt internal financial goals. It's not just about shareholders, but employees, customers, and the world as a whole.

Great ideas don't always come from years of experience, but different mindsets as well. Both are equally important. Challenge your team to think differently. Bring in less experienced employees into "top-level" projects so both management and employees can get a fresh perspective.

Jan 27, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback with us. In talking to our employees around the world to codify our culture and values we had lots of conversations about why we exist and ... More

3. "Credit analyst"

I have been working at Equinix full-time

Pros

Great culture with amazing people. There is space to grow and a lot of opportunities to learn.

Cons

Not a lot of PTO

Jan 27, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We’re happy to read you enjoy working here, have been able to learn along the way, and see opportunity to grow with Equinix!

5. "Decent people and atmosphere"

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and atmosphere. Very remote work friendly.

Cons

The pay is almost unethical for the Client Services Dept. Zero growth (Although they're working on this) Its important to know this is a Sales Driven Company.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they work hard for and deserve. At least at a competitive rate.

Feb 23, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. If I haven’t had the opportunity to meet you since joining Equinix, I hope to do so soon. In the meantime, if you would like to discuss your concerns further, please ... More

"Company is Ok; but man the management team makes you want to run"

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*offers good employee benefits

*There are people that work here that are pretty cool.

Cons

Bad Managers in place; but no one seems to do anything about it

Bi-yearly surveys are taken; but no actions seem to come out of it. Seems like HR does this so that they can feel good about themselves-"See- look we care."

*company is moving so fast that employees are drowning and can't keep up with things.

Overall Culture is lost.

Not all locations are treated equally. Lots of politics.

Advice to Management

*Upper Management- levels above director-need to pay attention and and actually take action to resolve or get rid of the root cause for departmental failure

*Find Leaders not just managers-Leaders inspire people to be better than they are and help them.

*Don't keep promoting people that are obliviously bad at people management. Just because you maybe good at your job doesn't constitute a promotion to management.

*Don't undermine your employees. Support them and help them grow.

*Stopping talking about the Magic of Equinix and start actually living it. It's mostly talk and no action.

Not enough opportunities for growth and development

7. "Solutions Architect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Equinix full-time

Pros

Great culture, growing company and great business model.

Cons

New employee onboarding process is not mature.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Enhance boarding process to get new employees up to speed quicker.

Jan 19, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We’re glad you enjoy working at Equinix and are having the opportunity to experience our company’s growth. Your advice to management is appreciated ... More

8. "Network technician III"

Pros

Great location and organazid colocation space

Cons

Working hours can fluctuate frequently

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We’re glad you enjoy your work environment and being a part of the Equinix team. We understand the nature of a 24/7 operation can create some ... More

9. "No Complaints"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is commensurate to work. They more qualifications you have, the more opportunities there are for advancement. The company is strong financially and continues to grow and expand. This growth and expansion should lead to steady employment for years to come.

Cons

Work can be stressful. Equinix advertises a nearly error free computing environment which pressures it's staff to maintain habits that are 100% free from human error.Maintaining a high output error free day is difficult to say the least.

Advice to Management

Continue to search for new and exciting technologies to offer. Equinix has had quite a journey since 1998 and seems to have set it's self apart to lead data center technologies far into the future.

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. First off, it’s so great to hear from someone who has been with Equinix for so long and has grown alongside the company! We’re proud of the ... More

"Big Company in a booming industry"

Former Employee - Ibx Site Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ibx Site Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free lunch every wednesday
    -Good benefits
    -High stock value with employee discount (free money)
    -Company is actively growing every year.

In my years I thought it was a good company and a great opportunity to get in to the data center industry. The company was extremely progressive and saw growth in many aspects; high sales, new high profile customers, new facilities, acquisitions each year I was there.

Cons

-Company is very very big (which is personal preference)
    -Career development is slower, with a big valuable company comes with hiring more experienced outside talent to protect their assets.

Advice to Management

-Continue to mentor and coach your employees beyond their initial employment

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for leaving this review and choosing Equinix as your door in to the data center industry. We appreciate your advice to our management team and will continue explore more opportunities for our ... More

"Great interning experience overall, a little more challenging work would have been nice though"

Former Employee - FP&A Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - FP&A Intern in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great company culture, everybody there is very approachable and friendly. Higher up execs always willing to take time to talk with an intern which says a lot about the company. Managers and team were very easy to work with and often take you out to lunch and just treat you like one of the team. Lots of company wide events as well.

Cons

Not a lot of responsibility given to interns, dull and monotonous work.

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for letting us know about your internship experience at Equinix. We love our company culture as much as you do and we’re glad you enjoyed being a part of our team. Every intern that comes into ... More