Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Equinix is...Family."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As with most people with full time jobs, I spend more time at work than I do with my family or friends...so I darn well better like the people I work with. ...and I do! We are a family here and we all row together. Highly recommended place to be. It certainly helps that the Macro IT trends are moving with Equinix as well. Connectivity has never been more important than it is right now.

Cons

It's a bit tougher to make a killing here in Sales than it was in the past. But the compensation is still at or above market rates, particularly if you bring in new business.

Advice to Management

Would be beneficial to proactively encourage job rotations geographically and between departments. It will strengthen the overall fabric of the organization.

Equinix2019-10-17
  2. "Wouldn't change a thing!"

Current Employee - Project and Program Senior Associate in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team all around. Flexible with schedule, flexible with work location. Travel opportunities, great pay/benefits, and management.

Cons

They have a high churn due to employment sectors where there are more companies that pay a higher rate. But you can't compete with Amazon/Microsoft/Facebook/Google etc. on every level.

Advice to Management

Just because someone is loyal does not always mean that they are the right ones for the promotion or management. Sometimes that can end up hurting more in the long run. Then pride or hurt feelings in the short term. It doesn't happen everywhere in the company, but it's an all too familiar tale.

Equinix2020-01-21
  3. "Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - IT Manager

I worked at Equinix full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1. Growing company, good consistent performance 2. Flexible working hours

Cons

1. Lacks processes and transparency 2. Favoritism

Advice to Management

Be transparent Be clear in how you are measuring Be consistent

Equinix2019-12-03

"Too Much Overhead"

Current Employee - CRO Team in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has a great culture and it's a friendly environment to work in. The success of the business has delivered great benefits, esp. RSUs, which makes us very fortunate.

Cons

It appears we're moving toward big company structures, including the addition of lots of overhead personnel with the proliferation of roles like chiefs of staff.

Advice to Management

Many of these "assistant" roles have inflated titles relative to their experience and it's creating a false sense of power and authority over work that they know little to nothing about. It's tough to arrive at a meeting only to have an executive proxy sent in your place - creates inefficiencies in decision making (and often wastes our time).

Equinix2019-11-08
  5. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Culture, Industry Leader , Great Leadership

Cons

Lack of promotional opportunities

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Equinix2019-10-22

"On balance, a great place to work"

Former Employee - Business Development in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Equinix offers highly competitive salary and equity compensation. Equinix allows for an excellent work/life balance. Their solid business model continues to build shareholder value. They’re building a more diversified workforce and actively encouraging recent graduates to join. It’s an auspicious place for a senior career person to land: very little pressure to reconfigure skillsets. Leadership seems to care about the employees; employee feedback is both solicited and acknowledged. Social events at Equinix can be a lot of fun.

Cons

Not a great place for experienced people to further expand skillsets. Unless a person comes from a REIT, Data Ceter, or telecommunications background, the job can get boring, as they have fewer new technologies built in-house compared to non-REIT tech companies. Lack of accountability in some organizations leads to project stagnation: it can be frustrating to get things done at Equinix. Promotion paths are unclear and unstructured. While customer facing teams do a great job of shielding the customer from internal Equinix processes, Equinix could use an upgrade to its tools and streamlining of its procedures. Reorganizations, while rare, can be messy and arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Focus more on improving internal processes and assign a clearer scope of accountability for teams. Apply social initiatives judiciously and balance the early career employee and later career employee experiences. Pick a few impactful business initiatives to build, execute, and scale on vs. having many projects that stay at the incubation level for long periods of time.

Equinix2019-09-29
  7. "Re-org is taking too long, some works are paused for a year"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Corporate culture is good but it also depends on your boss.

Cons

A small group of decision-makers who make decision without collecting inputs from all levels, hence, people focus on managing up. You have a big group of stakeholder but your performance is evaluated by your boss who doesn't talk to or doesn't care about your stakeholder.

Advice to Management

Don't just run a slogan or program. Employees cannot feel safe if they only got informed 2 days before being "re-organized" to a new team, they won't feel that they matter if the skillsets required in their assigned function are different from what they have.

Equinix2019-10-11
  8. "Strong business model and market tail winds!"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The stock keeps going up and up and it keeps everyone tethered in. Mostly nice people to work with.

Cons

The market is starting to change and the jury is still out as to how they will navigate. Recent org changes have triggered both angst and optimism based on how you were impacted.

Advice to Management

Continue the product innovation investments - you are going to need them!

Equinix2019-10-11

"Acknowledgment , Change, & Growth"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Building some genuine and long-term relationships

Cons

Equinix sales is essentially a boys club. Higher ups refuse to acknowledge the immaturity and the outrageous actions that are done even by management. Equinix is a place where who you know will get you promoted no matter if you are qualified for the position. There is little to no room for women to feel comfortable to speak on what is taking place because fear of backlash and career suicide. I believe the company preaches way too much and management does not lead by example.

Advice to Management

Stop putting unqualified people into management positions and make it a safe and comfortable place for people to work.

Equinix2019-10-07
  10. "Amazing culture"

I have been working at Equinix

Pros

Fun and welcoming people and environment

Cons

Nothing worthy of mention, all around great company

Equinix2019-08-31