Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office (in 24 reviews)

• Company strives for a work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not very optimal (in 15 reviews)

• Sometimes with rapid growth there can be growing pains (in 13 reviews)

"Bullying and Ego's"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steve (CEO) is amazing and inspirational.. Can we cookie cutter him and all have him as our manager?

Cons

GTS.. The senior leadership in this group are bullies!! Management is passive aggressive and is putting the entire work force in a very uncomfortable position.. It's not a one time thing and it's not just from one team. It appears the senior leader is driving this kind of behavior. Egos are huge!!

Advice to Management

Please look at this organization. Bullying is a horrible environment to work in. The senior leader pushes this mindset as it is the way he manages. He is also ambiguous, a bad communicator and I constantly feel like he's trying to trip me up...
    Please fix this, I love this company but am beginning to hate this particular team and I dread coming to work.. The whole situation is negatively impacting my health!!

Nov 14, 2016 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I share your sentiments about Steve (Smith). He is an exceptional leader who inspires people, fosters innovation and drives execution. He expects the same from his executive leadership team and as... More

"B players hire C players"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time

Pros

The stock is at an all time high, there's no wonder the glass door ratings are so high. You can't (and won't) complain if you're an employee with RSUs.

Cons

We're at a stage in the company's growth where the very smart, entrepreneurial, creative, ambitious leaders - or leaders of the future - are exiting the building. Senior management is non-confrontational (they flat out don't address issues or move them aside), which is classic behavior in a company that is experiencing success. Yet, they are riding a wave that is largely fueled by market dynamics (but they believe it's their brilliance). Our founders got us into this position, not the current management (except the Chairman), and it's the founders who should take credit for the vision that continues to propel the company (yes we are executing, but that's a very different drum to beat). The reason the dynamic, game-changing people are leaving is because Equinix has become a place where politics rule. If you speak your mind you are at risk of getting demoted, pushed aside or fired. At a minimum you're pigeon holed as a problem (don't you know that only the leadership team knows the right answer?) and constantly battle head winds that prevent you from realizing your full potential (and the company from blazing new trails). As new leaders are brought on board or promoted from within, it's incredibly clear that B players rule the school, because they are hiring C players - people who won't speak up, won't push back, will just do what it takes to get by. These people are also the same ones who have little-to-no passion, are yes people, and are not interested in what's around the next corner for Equinix (only for themselves). They will make their bosses happy by not causing any problems, but they (and those who hire them) are the epitome of a Dilbert cartoon. Sad, but true.

Advice to Management

Peter VanCamp is the reason we have a great culture because he lives and breathes it. However, as we grow his impact is rapidly declining, which puts us at great risk of being yet another huge tech company where mediocrity rules, money talks and humans are just the ends to the mean.

"Chicago location more corrupt than the city itself"

Former Employee - IBX Network Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IBX Network Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equinix (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair pay based on industry standard, though not the best in the market. Based on the expectations you are given, the pay should be substantially higher. ESPP is a good considering their strong presence in market value. Health insurance choices, you at least have options. Decent bonus program.

Cons

Where do I begin...
    Health insurance premiums are way too high for half decent coverage.

They provide breakfast twice a week which is probably cool to most people, but Equinix prides on it so much and fails to realize most companies in the industry will offer it daily.

Theft in this place is mind boggling, do NOT leave your tools anywhere for a moment or you'll find that it's not yours anymore.

Most managers never leave their seat unless it's to visit the loo, otherwise they're constantly calling you to their office and handing new tasks but then later asking to re-do them because the plans change or they're assigning you to a totally different task while your initial one remains incomplete. The most inefficient management staff I've seen in my entire career.

Management refuses to take responsibility and are very quick to place the blame on someone of lower rank. The potential reason they do this is because senior management is quick to fire. So it is safe to say most of the management team actions stems from fear in the senior director/VP levels.

Policies, procedures, responsibilities and expectations change and grow faster than the company itself. New rules put in place to hurt staff rather than help them, management acts as if "I'm here if you have any questions or are in need of help" which typically translates to "I'm here, maybe not for you... but I'm here".

You are a number, NOT a human. If you slow down from a bad day or are simply being more thorough in your work to give excellent quality, they will threaten your job. Yet, on the other side of that... if you rush yourself and make an honest mistake, you're out the door! The choice is yours but it's honestly a double edged sword.

I've seen a tech of 3 years, always put in an honest days work, committed to overtime, never late, the epitome of a perfect employee... was walked out because of a accidental disconnect (his first mistake ever).

I've seen a supervisor, the only good supervisor they had walked out for protecting his team. Then stripped of most of his life investments while working for the company for almost 10 years.

Absolutely no room for advancement in this company unless you'd like to move to California or transfer to the sales teams.

The certification and training programs are borderline comical.

When I was interviewed, i was under the impression i would be in a system admin or network admin role with all of the OS and networking questions that were asked. Then when I started, I felt baited being only responsible for 3 layers of support.

They talk about culture & values, yet you'll only get that in California or in sales. In the data center realm of Equinix (IBX)... It doesn't exist.

They'll promise you 10% bonuses annually. No tech has ever seen a full bonus there. I, myself saw 5%. I've seen other employee bonuses even under that.

Political class greed dwells in this building at an extreme rate with copper recycling. Beware that these are senior level employees breaking policy but are quick to fire lower ranked employees for small issues.

Please take this all with a grain of salt if you wish, I have given this about a good long cool-down before posting here so that i can accurately warn future employees. If you consider any IBX position with this company, specifically south loop Chicago location... please reconsider.

Advice to Management

Complete clean-out of Chicago management teams, best decision you can make at this point. The managers love to rush employees, employees that rush make mistakes, mistakes can cause outages, outages cost customers and money. Use your heads!

Aug 12, 2016 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear you are no longer with the company and that you were unhappy with your experience at Equinix, since we strive to provide a work... More

"Equinix at Dallas site where management focus more negative side of things besides turning issues into positive."

Former Employee - IBX Network Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IBX Network Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Equinix is a money hungry company where the employees working hard,less pay but management sits at a desk all day,getting paid the big bonuses.

Cons

Challenging thing at Equinix where management is unfair to employees and management puts too much stress and pressure on employees.

Jan 12, 2016 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your personal experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you feel your experience was negative at Equinix. Over the last two years we have... More

"Worst Place I have Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast sometimes, which is nice because you barely have time to eat, and real lunch breaks are a joke.

Cons

Do you like working in a toxic environment, where politics reign and people stab each other in the back at all times? Do you thrive in a workplace where your boss talks to you in negative ways about your coworkers, and talks to them about you in the same way? Do you like working in "teams" where no one communicates and everyone is out for his or her own agenda? A place where chaos thrives, and people are always racing to complete overlapping projects with barely enough time to breathe, and you are bullied by your own "teammates?" Do you like bosses who are so nervous and concerned with getting ahead, they are always on edge, and even curse and yell at their team members in meetings? Do you like phony people, and being told you have to be just as phony and brown nose people just to keep your job? If you answered yes to any or all of the above questions, then Equinix is the place for you. Note: I gave the place one star only because I had to give it something in order to process this review.

Advice to Management

I'd offer advice, but no one will take it, so there really is no point. Management is a group of backstabbing phonies who are only out for their own good. They don't care about their employees.

"Senior Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the pay and the stock was great.....some cool people.

Cons

Marketing leadership didn't know how to organize a campaign, couldn't align on messaging, and were so caught up in power struggles they never got anything done. Didn't value in-house talent and was way too top heavy.

Advice to Management

hire a proper CMO, stop letting sales dominate, invest in marketing professionals who know how to run partnerships, design campaigns, and execute well.

Sep 11, 2015 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for having the courage to say what you think. The constructive nature of your advice to management leads us to believe that you care deeply... More

"Worst culture"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Equinix as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for technically inclined people.

Cons

Never seen a company that enforces 9 to 6 timing in bayarea .So self minded and extremely poor culture.If you wanna join , embrace for the worst.

Advice to Management

Be the change you want to see.

"Until there is a management shift in Marketing, I would not advocate joining (unless you're desperate)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great data center facilities and operations, nice offices

Cons

In a nutshell, the marketing leadership team hosts a some very unprofessional and unqualified people who wield a lot of budget and headcount. There is so much potential given the great product, but that potential won't be fully realized until some of the toxic and unproductive characters in management leave. Sadly, those characters are the ones hiring and they are responsible for driving out the qualified team members with their unethical behavior and lack of marketing skills/ability to manage.

Advice to Management

Wake up. You have a problem that isn't going to solve itself with organic attrition.

"This boat will sink soon enough."

Former Employee - Sales and Leasing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Leasing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and compensation. The colo data center environment is a great place to be.

Cons

Old and tired micro management leadership with a peddler mentality. Working at Telx is a nightmare. The top performers are getting their numbers and success through attrition and their assigned account base. Over 80%+ of "new" sales are with existing customers and logos. New reps are left to fend for themselves with little support and many never get accounts and are pushed out of the business with 3-5 months. Deals are split between reps just because a rep has an account in their name in SF and this creates a great deal of favoritism and exclusion.

Advice to Management

Clean house! The leadership might have been the right leadership to get the company rolling, but it is not the leadership needed to take the company and it's people to the next level. Help new reps by giving them accounts they can build from while also hunting down new logos.

"Temp to hire"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Equinix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to meet some great people
    The work was challenging in the beginning

Cons

Pay was below average

Upper management would not provide solid answers in a timely manner

Unorganized

If they hire you as 'temp to hire', even if you perform well they will most likely not take you on. They have constant budgetary issues and don't want to invest in people long term. They take people on, make them believe they will stay in the role permanently as long they you perform well, but once you start asking for feedback they just keep saying 'they don't know' or 'we have no answers at this time'. They also have zero courtesy, they will give you only a few days notice that you are let go. You work hard, perform well, show respect but at the end of the day your efforts are pointless. Find a company that appreciates intelligent candidates with a positive and professional attitude.

Advice to Management

If you are going to need temp workers, please clearly indicate that! People have lives, bills to pay and many require stability. Do not imply that a permeant role is just based on performance if your budget cannot handle it or if you are not serious about taking on new team members. Be honest with candidates from day 1 and tell them that this is temporary role and not a 'temp to hire'. It's misleading and not fair to others.