Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office (in 24 reviews)

• Company strives for a work life balance (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not very optimal (in 15 reviews)

• Sometimes with rapid growth there can be growing pains (in 13 reviews)

"Politics and Backstabbing culture, esp. Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and stock are great for some jobs. There are also a lot of talented, fun people who work hard and care about their performance. If you are on the right project the work can be challenging and you could travel for fun events.

Cons

The management team is a nightmare. Leadership is asleep at the wheel, doesn't weed out problem managers, lets bad behavior fester. VPs are running functions with no experience in the kind of marketing they do. Bean counters and introverts don't inspire creativity and passion. Most managers are also totally uninterested in the well being of the people who report to them, are more worried about politics and their own best interests. If things get bad, managers will throw you under the bus to save their own necks. I've seen some really incompetent managers keep their job year after year and good, experienced people marginalized if they aren't spending time stroking the right egos. No one can get ahead if they are below director level. Do not come to Equinix if you are good and want to advance in your career, as you will never get promoted. If you are less competent and good at politics, know someone on the inside, and willing to brown nose every day then you might end up in a great job that you are not qualified for, and you will have job security for life. I know very few people who are truly happy in their job in marketing, which is a shame, since most of us deserve better.

Advice to Management

Not sure there's any point in giving advice, as it seems to fall on deaf ears. If you can do one thing, it is to make sure you know what a team leader is supposed to know to do the job right and don't stop until you hire someone QUALIFIED. A lot of good people have been treated badly, but I guess everyone is making so much money on stock that there's no reason to worry about it, right? Except that the word is out and you cannot hire the real experience you need to lead our teams. Or, you fundamentally don't understand what it takes to do these jobs. As another clueless leader would say: "Sad".

Jul 5, 2017 – Equinix

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am happy to hear you speak so highly of your colleagues, but—obviously—disappointed (and pained) to hear you express so much unhappiness with your... More

"Terrible management, very political and toxic environment, especially in Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With the stock, (which can't continue to be given out as much) the pay for certain jobs can be good. There are some truly great people below director level, very talented and fun. If you like to travel you can end up going almost anywhere depending on your job. The data centers are fantastic, really high quality. You can feel good about putting a customer there.

Cons

-No career advancement at all
    -Very political and back stabbing, most managers don't care about their direct reports, only about themselves and their perception. They seem as scared about losing their jobs as we are.
    -In marketing, it is often more about how you report what you do than what you ACTUALLY do. In many roles, there is little actual marketing really happening.
    -Company sings a great culture tune but it isn't practiced. Morale in many departments is terrible and instead of fixing it they threaten people about their "negativity" and treat them like criminals.
    -There are often the wrong people running projects. Instead of hiring experts in the field, people without the real skills are in charge of managing people who do know what they are doing, and the manager won't listen to those with the experience. There are some exceptions, but they are few.
    -There is no trust between the workers and management. People can't say if things aren't right, even though we are supposedly given the chance with the "survey". No one believes it won't come back to them. And any low ratings a team lead is given don't matter - they just give lip service to making changes or getting to the root of the problem. It never changes.
    -The real reviews for this company, especially marketing, have been pushed down by a concerted effort by management to get people in the company to write good reviews. They even hired a social media expert to fix it. Scroll down to last year and before, and you will see the reality of working here. It is sad, but true. The problems have only gotten worse as we get bigger.

Advice to Management

So many things! If morale is bad, don't create yet another useless program to make yourselves feel better. Look at your management, especially the CMO who is overpaid and under qualified, and who never engages with 90% of her team. Find people who are qualified, not just smart. Smart doesn't mean they can manage people or truly lead. Look at what is really happening and give people who perform and know their field a chance to advance instead of hiring from the outside all the time. And get rid of bad managers! If you don't know who they are then you aren't paying attention. Giving out stock doesn't solve things, it just keeps people miserably in their place. And stop over-hyping how happy everyone is at the company meetings - it makes YOU feel good but it makes those who aren't as happy feel like they are the problem. I want to love it here. I keep hoping it will change but it hasn't. There are some real issues in the company!

Nov 14, 2016 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I agree. There are extraordinary people at Equinix who make it such a fun place to work.

As we continue to scale at a rapid pace, there will be added complexity and ambiguity that we all need to... More

"Politics, politics"

Former Employee - Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Nice compensation, thriving business model.

Cons

IT/CTO unit is highly political toxic environment. Constant flattery and show of loyalty expected.
    Joining IT/CTO unit could be a career-ending move, avoid at all costs.
    Rest of the company is doing well in business wise

Aug 2, 2016 – CIO

I am sorry to hear you are no longer with the company, and less than satisfied with your experience as a contractor at Equinix. As worker experience means a lot to me personally, and this is an... More

"Was once a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Data centers are better than any others

Cons

Company has expanded rapidly and the majority of senior management have either no data center or sales experience background and/or they are being hired from a competitor. The company no longer ha the Equinix feel it did in the beginning, it is slowly morphing into it competitor

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that have been there from the beginning rather than hire outsiders who are determined not to listen and change the company values

May 23, 2016 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share a few of your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear that you are less than satisfied with the backgrounds and professional experience of... More

"Professional Services - Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Equinix (Less than a year)

Pros

ESPP - Have you seen the stock price! Printing money.
    Travel budget is loose
    REIT status is competitive advantage
    Most of the leadership is competent
    Pay seems to be competitive

Cons

Have not figured out how to integrate acquisitions
    Buying a services company was a smart move. The integration process may destroy it before it gets off the ground. - mass exodus has happened and with it went all the talent.
    Sales people are trained to sell Products while the datacenter business is dying. They are struggling to convert into solution sellers for the complex selling required.
    The Enterprise market is going to be a challenge to replicate the same success as in previous years
    People work in the datacenter or they are in sales/marketing offices. Sales offices are ghost towns - no culture

Advice to Management

Think about the impact on the people when you acquire a company. Do a better job transitioning. You have really hurt alot of families along the way.
    The past was very bright for Equinix. The future is not going to be as easy. Need to find the right people who embrace change.

"It works but nothing special"

Current Employee - Senior Site Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Site Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Steady paycheck and benefits plus 401k. Clean and controlled environment. No one breathing down your neck. Also they give you polos for work though xl is sometimes a bit hard to come by.

Cons

NO way to move up the ranks unless you're related to someone of come from a certain area of the world. Also management since they're all friends and family, most aren't qualified individuals for their positions.

Advice to Management

Nepotism isn't fair to the great employees that do work for the company.

Apr 28, 2016 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share a few of your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear you aren't satisfied with opportunities to learn and grow at Equinix. As creating a... More

"Senior Director Operationis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company, well funded and great benefits and stock program

Cons

Organizational Silo's, Biased management with extreme prejudice to outsiders and gross overspending that goes unchecked. Senior level ethics, vendor gifts, donations and extravagant dinners/drinks a common place.

Advice to Management

Stop the bleeding, bring your management team to the 21st century

Mar 2, 2016 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As Equinix does not own or operate any data centers in Saint Louis, Missouri, we are not sure what to make of this review. If you are a former... More

"Professional Services"

Current Employee - Vice President in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunity. Positioned week in upcoming Enterprise IT Transformation

Cons

Too Political for small company. Overly internally focused and not outwards on the customer

Jan 6, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and for sharing a few of your personal thoughts with us. We value your feedback as an employee and warmly welcome constructive suggestions of ways we can... More

"Employee morale"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Equinix (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, stock is doing well.

Cons

Politics are the biggest negative in this company.

Advice to Management

Do skip level 1:1 with your staff, eg. VP talking to Individual contributors in their management chain to really gauge what the employee's really think and feel.

Nov 10, 2015 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your personal experience with us. We are sorry to hear you are less than satisfied with your current work environment. Should you be open to... More

"Great stock, some terrific people, highly political corporate environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The stock plans were great. The staff in the IBXs were top notch. There are some really good, smart, motivated people at this company. It was great to work for an organization with such a solid track record of success.

Cons

Highly political environment in corporate. If you have been there for a long time you don't have to work much and are protected. If you are newer you take on the bulk of the work and are held to completely different standards and expectations. If you manage up well, you will probably do well here. If you are the kind of person who focuses on doing a good job and doesn't play the political game you will not be appreciated.

Advice to Management

What can I say, what you are doing seems to work well for you from a company performance perspective. It's just an environment that I found oppressing and dysfunctional...not everyone fits in well here but many stay for the stock rewards.

Aug 13, 2015 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share feedback from your personal experience. We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your immediate work environment, as people and... More