Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office (in 25 reviews)

• Company strives for a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't respect work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Some typical process and systems growing pains (in 14 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Equinix as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work culture and leadership

Cons

HR process has to be improved

Apr 10, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your work and our culture while interning at Equinix. We hope to see you again, and would be interested to learn more about the ways "HR ... More

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The wage are market competitive

Cons

Don't respect work/life balance. Too much politics. Management is weak in Operations. Advancement opportunities are very limited and hard work will not help you. Advancement seems based on who you know and cosy up to rather than good skills. Favortism exists.

Advice to Management

Do some house cleaning of old stale management or get them to be more transparent in their decision making.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is very successful and positioned to do well for at least 5 years plus. People are really nice and treat each other with respect and kindness. Not sure if that is true up the ladder of managerial status.

Cons

Marketing organization has a low key vibe that is boring. Work is done only at your level - so it's not a big melting pot of cross functional exposure and ideas. It's a very hierarchical organization - you don't really work with anyone above your "rank".

Advice to Management

Manager training is essential. Especially with career and company growth opportunities. Open office doors, walk around and talk to the team who reports to you - get to know people authentically - not just a hi in the hallway. The company is small enough for more of that type of interaction.

Mar 31, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share your thoughts with us. We are glad to hear that you are both enjoying your coworkers and feeling good about how Equinix is positioned in the ... More

"Promises,Promises"

Current Employee - Data Center Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Center Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Equinix full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

No room for advancement and lack of oversight.

Advice to Management

Glad you all got promotions this year. Wish someone below senior management did.

Mar 7, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoy working with your teammates. We would never want our employees to feel like they don’t have opportunities to “Keep Growing” at Equinix. If ... More

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to grow. Projects after projects. Love the fast growing environment.

Cons

Maybe too many projects are going on at the same time- team oriented, department oriented, region oriented, company-wide projects.

Oct 28, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for letting us know about your experience working at Equinix. We certainly do have a lot of projects (and good work) being done across the organization. Thanks for your contributions during ... More

"Don't give reviews too much weight."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

Pros

Friendly, enthusiastic employees; free gym in building; great location to take walks (Bay Trail nearby) during lunch or break; generous compensation.

Cons

The company is large in some respects, so one frustration you might encounter is a lack of transparency. This makes it hard to find solutions if many departments need to get involved. Also, my department is short-staffed, making my reporting line awkward and clumsy. Actually, I am really bummed about experiencing the brunt of the staffing situation.

Apr 4, 2016 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share a few of your thoughts with us. While the exact issue you are experiencing is unclear, we hope you will consider reaching out to your Human ... More

"VP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great business model, great compensation and benefits. They work hard and play hard. Lots of energy and excitement - employees are proud to work here.

Cons

The culture is shifting away from what defined Equinix as a great place to work. Frivolous with their spending - can benefit form bringing in the reigns. Management has a difficult time making tough business decisions to drive extraneous cost out of the business.

Advice to Management

Add some emotional quotient to the intellectual quotient and listen to the employees. You can't be all things to everyone - make the tough decisions and let go of regional silo model driving costs up.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Equinix (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation , laid back culture, great if you like travelling

Cons

Targets too high , only good if you are part of the in crowd

Advice to Management

Forget channels, its a waste of time. Go back to our core , hire sales people that understand solution selling

Sep 29, 2015 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for sharing a few of your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear you are no longer with us, but appreciate your willingness to still share personal ... More

"Good job!"

Current Employee - IBX Network Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IBX Network Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Work in a very sensitive environment that challenges your responsibilities on day to day basis, adding a sense of importance of your job. Always can find something to do if your work is done. Team members have a sense of humor and always willing to help out.

Cons

There is ZERO culture here, and frankly they need it. I understand the severity and sensitivity of the company services and how important it is for their customers, but they need to ease up on the strict management a tad. Not sure if it's a general company practice, but micromanaged tactics seem to reign supreme in the Chicago location. "Punch in and punch out on the exact minute" and "Do as your told and not as I do" type of mentality from leadership. Management also tend to hold people back from their true talents, regardless of experience. If you want cross training with other work, or department rather, it's not exactly encouraged. As I said, this may not be a general company wide practice, but certainly something that is heavily experienced specifically in the Chicago location.

Advice to Management

Add some culture! Ease up a bit! Encourage career progression! Be leaders, not bosses!

"Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience, relax yet focused company

Cons

Average age of employees is quite high

Advice to Management

None