Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equinix President & CEO Stephen M. Smith
Stephen M. Smith

Pros
  • Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office (in 24 reviews)

• Company strives for a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't respect work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Sometimes with rapid growth there can be growing pains (in 14 reviews)

1. "Good opportunity for the right people"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Equinix as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

some very smart people to work with and good perks

Cons

inconsistent leadership and lack of clarity about future plans

2. "Project Manager"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Equinix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people, good amenities, decent working hours

Cons

HR is a little slow to react to things sometimes

Apr 18, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for your review and for sharing a couple of your thoughts with us. Should you be willing to share more specific feedback about ways we can improve our HR processes, we hope you will consider ... More

"engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits,dissent pay,good schedule

Cons

Not transparent,unorganized the local management separated themselves from working people

Advice to Management

come to the floor ,talk to us,provide more hands on training not just formal and don't promote the people who ere friend to you we also have a human quality.

5. "Channel Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Channel Sales Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Channel Sales Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Equinix (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility and opportunity to work remote. Pay is great for an intern in school. If you are looking for a job after school this is a great company to intern with.

Cons

As an intern I think it would've helped to have a more structure and formal training. Much of my experience was self learning.

Mar 13, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for letting us know how much you enjoyed your internship at Equinix. We understand structure can be challenging with a remote internship, so we appreciate you providing that feedback. We wish ... More

6. "Great culture, Cisco-style contracts"

Current Contractor - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Equinix as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As a culture, Equinix is respectful of family obligations, we celebrate major successes together, the people collaborate well together, and the company has a "Magical Mentions" benefit (which is also open to contractors) to recognize a person for a job well done. Layoffs are rare, but do happen regularly in some teams.

Cons

In the software divisions there is no team responsible for quality control, which presents severe challenges even through the Agile methodologies they are attempting to adopt. There is also a Cisco-like culture of hiring contractors at lower-than-industry rates, and Cisco-like restrictions about contractors changing jobs within the company. Contracts are renewed repeatedly rather than hire full-time workers, which allows the company to under-report the number of employees on the payroll, and allows the company to flex its headcount as needed (though as I mentioned, layoffs are rare).

Advice to Management

The most discouraging part about working on software is that the work is prone to regression, and the company ends up paying for the same feature to be re-developed after it breaks (and the contract expertise as left). This also blocks innovation because development resources are too tied up debugging code to work on enhancements. It would be far cheaper and a much better customer experience on Equinix's customer facing web portals to have a quality assurance center of excellence to detect and prevent regressions.

Apr 7, 2017 – Equinix

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your thoughtfulness and willingness to share feedback with us. We do have a standard practice of procuring contractors at Equinix for ... More

7. "No Complaints"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is commensurate to work. They more qualifications you have, the more opportunities there are for advancement. The company is strong financially and continues to grow and expand. This growth and expansion should lead to steady employment for years to come.

Cons

Work can be stressful. Equinix advertises a nearly error free computing environment which pressures it's staff to maintain habits that are 100% free from human error.Maintaining a high output error free day is difficult to say the least.

Advice to Management

Continue to search for new and exciting technologies to offer. Equinix has had quite a journey since 1998 and seems to have set it's self apart to lead data center technologies far into the future.

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. First off, it’s so great to hear from someone who has been with Equinix for so long and has grown alongside the company! We’re proud of the ... More

"Big Company in a booming industry"

Former Employee - Ibx Site Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ibx Site Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free lunch every wednesday
    -Good benefits
    -High stock value with employee discount (free money)
    -Company is actively growing every year.

In my years I thought it was a good company and a great opportunity to get in to the data center industry. The company was extremely progressive and saw growth in many aspects; high sales, new high profile customers, new facilities, acquisitions each year I was there.

Cons

-Company is very very big (which is personal preference)
    -Career development is slower, with a big valuable company comes with hiring more experienced outside talent to protect their assets.

Advice to Management

-Continue to mentor and coach your employees beyond their initial employment

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for leaving this review and choosing Equinix as your door in to the data center industry. We appreciate your advice to our management team and will continue explore more opportunities for our ... More

"Great interning experience overall, a little more challenging work would have been nice though"

Former Employee - FP&A Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - FP&A Intern in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great company culture, everybody there is very approachable and friendly. Higher up execs always willing to take time to talk with an intern which says a lot about the company. Managers and team were very easy to work with and often take you out to lunch and just treat you like one of the team. Lots of company wide events as well.

Cons

Not a lot of responsibility given to interns, dull and monotonous work.

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for letting us know about your internship experience at Equinix. We love our company culture as much as you do and we’re glad you enjoyed being a part of our team. Every intern that comes into ... More

"Growing and exciting but no warm fuzzies anymore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time

Pros

Generous compensation package, strong stock growth. Personable and energetic C-Level execs. #1 in its industry, with no signs of growth slowing. Customer-centric.

Cons

Culture has deteriorated as certain new execs have come in. Lots of talk about the importance of culture, and investment in programs that promote the value of the of culture, but it does not play out in personal interactions and definitely not in management styles. Good culture is not spawned from recognition, it happens naturally when people are in it together.

There is lot of friction between teams, worsened by frequent organizational tweaks. Employees are horse-traded between departments.

If I had a $ for every time my management told me or a colleague NOT to assist another team, or to "let something break" or implode in order to get attention on it, I would be a wealthy dude!

Advice to Management

VP level - you claim to be flat and have an open-door policy, but many of you are not, and in key areas! You project a great halo of teamwork *upwards*, but in fact you keep your teams in the dark. Some areas are more hierarchical than found in large telcos, with unwritten rules about who can talk to whom based on level. That is not the Equinix of PVC or the founders.

Nov 17, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We hear you. We are growing at a rapid pace and there certainly is a lot going on across the organization. We understand that this can have different impacts ... More

11. "Network Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stock and benefits, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Estimates more respected than facts; conflicts due to bad planning.

Advice to Management

Return to an engineering-centric mindset.

Sep 26, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Equinix with us. We wish you continued success in your career.