Equinix Reviews | Glassdoor

Equinix Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people produce great work": employees genuinely enjoy what they're doing and that's made clear the second you step into the office (in 24 reviews)

• Company strives for a work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't respect work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Sometimes with rapid growth there can be growing pains (in 14 reviews)

1. "No Complaints"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is commensurate to work. They more qualifications you have, the more opportunities there are for advancement. The company is strong financially and continues to grow and expand. This growth and expansion should lead to steady employment for years to come.

Cons

Work can be stressful. Equinix advertises a nearly error free computing environment which pressures it's staff to maintain habits that are 100% free from human error.Maintaining a high output error free day is difficult to say the least.

Advice to Management

Continue to search for new and exciting technologies to offer. Equinix has had quite a journey since 1998 and seems to have set it's self apart to lead data center technologies far into the future.

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. First off, it’s so great to hear from someone who has been with Equinix for so long and has grown alongside the company! We’re proud of the ... More

"Big Company in a booming industry"

Former Employee - Ibx Site Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Ibx Site Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free lunch every wednesday
    -Good benefits
    -High stock value with employee discount (free money)
    -Company is actively growing every year.

In my years I thought it was a good company and a great opportunity to get in to the data center industry. The company was extremely progressive and saw growth in many aspects; high sales, new high profile customers, new facilities, acquisitions each year I was there.

Cons

-Company is very very big (which is personal preference)
    -Career development is slower, with a big valuable company comes with hiring more experienced outside talent to protect their assets.

Advice to Management

-Continue to mentor and coach your employees beyond their initial employment

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for leaving this review and choosing Equinix as your door in to the data center industry. We appreciate your advice to our management team and will continue explore more opportunities for our ... More

"Great interning experience overall, a little more challenging work would have been nice though"

Former Employee - FP&A Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - FP&A Intern in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great company culture, everybody there is very approachable and friendly. Higher up execs always willing to take time to talk with an intern which says a lot about the company. Managers and team were very easy to work with and often take you out to lunch and just treat you like one of the team. Lots of company wide events as well.

Cons

Not a lot of responsibility given to interns, dull and monotonous work.

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for letting us know about your internship experience at Equinix. We love our company culture as much as you do and we’re glad you enjoyed being a part of our team. Every intern that comes into ... More

"Simple, Well defined and excellent work culture !"

Current Employee - Architect in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Processes are testimony to the fact that these have been well groomed and honed over time through constant collaboration and response to feedback.
    - Thankful for the daily breakfast, coffee, fruits and clean work conditions
    - Fun parties
    - Very pleasant and nice coworkers !!

Cons

- Over reliance on long outlook email threads.
    - No lunch cafeteria

Advice to Management

- More focus on demos and actual work rather than slides
    - At least one absolutely no-meeting day
    - Cut down process to move faster

Mar 10, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and share a few of your thoughts with us. We appreciate your positive outlook as well as your thoughtful advice. Though I'm not sure we could swing a day ... More

"Growing and exciting but no warm fuzzies anymore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time

Pros

Generous compensation package, strong stock growth. Personable and energetic C-Level execs. #1 in its industry, with no signs of growth slowing. Customer-centric.

Cons

Culture has deteriorated as certain new execs have come in. Lots of talk about the importance of culture, and investment in programs that promote the value of the of culture, but it does not play out in personal interactions and definitely not in management styles. Good culture is not spawned from recognition, it happens naturally when people are in it together.

There is lot of friction between teams, worsened by frequent organizational tweaks. Employees are horse-traded between departments.

If I had a $ for every time my management told me or a colleague NOT to assist another team, or to "let something break" or implode in order to get attention on it, I would be a wealthy dude!

Advice to Management

VP level - you claim to be flat and have an open-door policy, but many of you are not, and in key areas! You project a great halo of teamwork *upwards*, but in fact you keep your teams in the dark. Some areas are more hierarchical than found in large telcos, with unwritten rules about who can talk to whom based on level. That is not the Equinix of PVC or the founders.

Nov 17, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We hear you. We are growing at a rapid pace and there certainly is a lot going on across the organization. We understand that this can have different impacts ... More

"Terrible management, very political and toxic environment, especially in Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With the stock, (which can't continue to be given out as much) the pay for certain jobs can be good. There are some truly great people below director level, very talented and fun. If you like to travel you can end up going almost anywhere depending on your job. The data centers are fantastic, really high quality. You can feel good about putting a customer there.

Cons

-No career advancement at all
    -Very political and back stabbing, most managers don't care about their direct reports, only about themselves and their perception. They seem as scared about losing their jobs as we are.
    -In marketing, it is often more about how you report what you do than what you ACTUALLY do. In many roles, there is little actual marketing really happening.
    -Company sings a great culture tune but it isn't practiced. Morale in many departments is terrible and instead of fixing it they threaten people about their "negativity" and treat them like criminals.
    -There are often the wrong people running projects. Instead of hiring experts in the field, people without the real skills are in charge of managing people who do know what they are doing, and the manager won't listen to those with the experience. There are some exceptions, but they are few.
    -There is no trust between the workers and management. People can't say if things aren't right, even though we are supposedly given the chance with the "survey". No one believes it won't come back to them. And any low ratings a team lead is given don't matter - they just give lip service to making changes or getting to the root of the problem. It never changes.
    -The real reviews for this company, especially marketing, have been pushed down by a concerted effort by management to get people in the company to write good reviews. They even hired a social media expert to fix it. Scroll down to last year and before, and you will see the reality of working here. It is sad, but true. The problems have only gotten worse as we get bigger.

Advice to Management

So many things! If morale is bad, don't create yet another useless program to make yourselves feel better. Look at your management, especially the CMO who is overpaid and under qualified, and who never engages with 90% of her team. Find people who are qualified, not just smart. Smart doesn't mean they can manage people or truly lead. Look at what is really happening and give people who perform and know their field a chance to advance instead of hiring from the outside all the time. And get rid of bad managers! If you don't know who they are then you aren't paying attention. Giving out stock doesn't solve things, it just keeps people miserably in their place. And stop over-hyping how happy everyone is at the company meetings - it makes YOU feel good but it makes those who aren't as happy feel like they are the problem. I want to love it here. I keep hoping it will change but it hasn't. There are some real issues in the company!

Nov 14, 2016 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I agree. There are extraordinary people at Equinix who make it such a fun place to work. As we continue to scale at a rapid pace, there will be added complexity and ambiguity that we all need to ... More

8. "Senior maintenance engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Ibx Site Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Ibx Site Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company with lots of opportunity to grow!

Cons

Long shifts but long weekends to balance the 12.5 hour shifts.

Advice to Management

None where I'm located, all good managers.

Nov 17, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Equinix and for finding the silver lining (long weekends) in the 12.5 hour shift! Please continue to seek out opportunities to grow with us and ... More

9. "High Growth Tech Company"

Current Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable real estate company, but high growth and fast paced
    Opportunities to grow and develop. Personally, I was able to work in Amsterdam for over 2 years.
    Good company culture, especially within the Finance organization.
    I like the people I work with and enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Fast pace can often equal long hours, which isn't for everyone
    Since we are growing, processes and data are ambiguous and constantly changing, which can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Don't lose culture and values as we continue to grow.
    Keep giving employees opportunities to grow and develop.

Nov 17, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. We are glad you’ve had the opportunity to grow your career at Equinix – international assignment and otherwise! If you haven’t already done so, please ... More

10. "Amazing company with great culture and high growth potential"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It comes down to three things:

- People: Everyone is so nice, helpful and wanting to do the right things

-Culture: Informal culture that encourages you to be yourself. Very little pretension or hierarchy.

-Opportunity: The company is growing like a wild fire. The opportunities facing the company are enormous.

Cons

-Office The location of the HQ office is not great. There are not a lot of restaurants near by and we are running out of room.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Nov 17, 2016 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and for being such a great ambassador of what makes Equinix unique -- our people, our culture, and our opportunity. Please keep being an ... More

11. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Equinix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great support, great product, market leader,

Cons

Getting the market to understand the value.

Advice to Management

Diversity up the stack

Jan 3, 2017 – Equinix

Thanks for taking the time to share a few of your thoughts with us. We wish you continued success in your career.