Equinox Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Equinox Fitness CEO Niki Leondakis
Niki Leondakis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym membership, work with some great people (in 118 reviews)

• The free gym membership is such a great perk, it feels like I'm getting paid twice sometimes (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • hard to maintain work-life balance at times (in 55 reviews)

• No work/life balance - quality of environment depends on specific club (in 26 reviews)

1. "Good to start but not a longer term career"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Education
    Gym usage
    Meet high end clientele
    Eucalyptus towels
    Make friends with Pilates and massage therapists
    Christmas party is pretty lit

Cons

Micromanaging
    Extremely high turn over rate due to poor business planning
    Low paychecks, especially in the beginning
    Very hard to advance in certain clubs

Advice to Management

Cushion your trainers with some sort of salary (not minimum wage cleaning the gym while trying to win over members). Members can tell that trainers are in desperate need of clientele and it’s not good a good look for the company.

2. "Front Desk Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time

Pros

Free membership and well maintained.

Cons

The job consists of placating the undeserved and fragile egos of the Personal Trainers, CEO and Management. This company subscribes to outdated and proven ineffective management techniques and a strict closed door policy. Turnover is high (rightfully so). Promotions and upper level positions are based upon "attractiveness" and NOT competence. So-much-so in that they may be bordering on discriminatory practices. Management will take every opportunity to let others know that they are "important" and you are not. If you enjoyed your Middle School experience, this place is for you.

Advice to Management

Take yourself out of the spotlight and project it upon those who really make the company run. Your management style is outdated and ineffective. Just because you have those positions doesn't mean you earned them rightfully. Talk with the staff. Be firm, but FAIR. Lead by example and not threats.

3. "Personal Trainer"

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time

Pros

Access to a great facility to work out in.

Cons

Management sells the dream to you when they hire you. Truthfully you’ll probably only be earning 200-500$ every two weeks for the first 6-12 months. The job is entirely commission based. Management tries to dissuade you from having a second job too. You also probably will have next to no health or dental throughout your entire career here.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring 35+ trainers at one club

4. "You will not have a life"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice clubs, some nice people.

Cons

No work life balance. Although they preach it to their customers, don't even think you are going to get any time off. No vacations, no holidays. They are desperate for managers, and will hire weak and inexperienced individuals just to fill a seat.
    Best advise to a trainer is use them for 95 sessions, and take the rest of the clients as in homes.

Advice to Management

Nothing

5. "NOT AT ALL DISABILITY FRIENDLY"

Former Employee - Janitor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Janitor in Boston, MA

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Membership but that is the only "pro" I believe I will be able to mention from my time at this place

Cons

Being a person with a brain injury I had some issues with memory and organization. They didn't let that fly at all. Right when they found out I had medical issues they complained about me not mentioning them in the interview or on the application. I got ousted because of a disability which goes against constitutional law under The American Disabilities Act so I'm surprised they're not getting fined until they hit bankruptcy.
    The day I got kicked out was because I "didn't do certain things that needed to be done the night before" even though I wasn't even there due to a visit to the ER.

Advice to Management

Be more friendly and abide the constitution

6. "Floor shifts are terrible. Very political company."

Current Employee - Equinox Personal Trainer, Tier I in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Equinox Personal Trainer, Tier I in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best of the business for gyms. Great locker rooms. Great benefits once you have 95 sessions a day. Eventually good money per session

Cons

Political. You need to be liked by the people who are contacted about personal training in order to get clients. Have to work 6 months to become full time

Advice to Management

Don't be political. If someone works hard, give them fair opportunities

"Pilates"

Current Employee - Pilates Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Pilates Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness (More than a year)

Pros

beautiful gym, free membership, Friendly staff

Cons

beware you are not an Pilates instructor you are hired as a sales person, to sell the concept of Pilates and packages. I have bern told to compromise my integrity to make the sale. No help from mgmt to promote Pilates., You are on your own.

Advice to Management

Help promote Pilates, stop putting one dept against the other, e.g., fitness training and Pilates. Offer loyalty discounts to long-time members, stop harassing employers about the numbers or quotas they have to make at the end of each month.

8. "Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Brand Name is good on resume

Cons

The San Francisco Pine street gym is overly crowded, not clean, and it's about shuffling high volumes of people in and out. Often the gym is so crowded I can't find a spot to train my client and we have to wait a long time to use machines. Another time, a client brought up that a lot of towels were stained. I brought up this up but haven't seen the towels been replaced or bleached (many of them look gross). Also, I feel I was instructed to not find ways to work with members and help them out. An instructor bailed at the last minute and I wanted to inform the people sitting in the class without an instructor but was told not to worry about it because I don't work at the front desk. Another time a client wanted to cancel a personal training session because she had a sick Mom she had to take to the emergency room and I was told I couldn't cancel or move the session because it was less than 24 hours before session time and it would cause the Equinox to lose revenue.

Advice to Management

Care a bit more and don't overcrowd gyms

"READ BEFORE WORKING AT EQUINOX!"

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership and a laid back atmosphere may lull you asleep. The atmosphere is very laid back - HR would have a heart attack if they knew the language and lack of professionalism that actually goes on in this place - this may be a "Pro" to some people if you like that kind of laid back atmosphere....if you prefer a more professional work environment this is not the place for you. There are a lot of "stud" and stereotypical "jock" type personalities in upper management and amongst trainers.

Cons

If you are older than 21 and you have bills this is not the place for you.

If you are a certified personal trainer through ACE, NASM or any reputable certification it is your best bet to work independently as a personal trainer. A lot of people give you the advice "Hey it's best to start in a big box gym!"...Here's why it's not.

- This is a sales job. You are responsible for building your client base of training clients. If you are going to spend the time and energy to network and build a client base...why not just build your own client base independently and charge your own rates?

- Some say the pros of working big box are the benefits...at Equinox YOU DO NOT RECEIVE ANY BENEFITS UNTIL YOU REACH 42 PAID TRAINING SESSIONS IN A 2 WEEK PAY PERIOD...so you better not get sick, get hurt, get a toothache or anything. That may not seem like an aggressive number of paid sessions but it is when there are almost 50 trainers and the gym is not highly populated.

-$12 an hour floor shifts. You are supposed to use this time to build your client base and get "known" around the gym....if you are a self starter and a certified trainer THE WORLD is your floor shift. You can meet people anywhere and there is a higher chance of you finding clients this way than in the small pretentious bubble which is Equinox.

- You are dealing with snobbish professionals and literally trust fund babies who are paying $200 a month for membership. There is a certain air or disrespect and almost peasant like appeal of the personal trainer at Equinox. You received a very minute fraction of what is actually being charged for trainer and you are expected to go through Equinox's education to raise up the different tiers of trainers to one day hopefully receive about 40% of what the client is actually paying.

- Some may see it as a "Pro" that equinox pays you to get an education. NO. They pay you $12 an hour to take "EFTI" course (EFTI courses only exist in the Equinox world. You can not take them with you. So unless you plan on living and dying at Equinox this is pointless.) The courses are for you to move up the tiers at Equinox and one day make a decent living. I suggest furthering your own education through college, reading books, or actually certification courses.

- There is no work/life balance. Equinox's motto is "It's not Fitness. It's Life." and they mean that. There is a trainers lounge which has roaches and is cramped with the belongings of almost 50 trainers. People literally sleep there. You may have a session at 5AM and not have another one until 12PM so they literally sleep there. Working independently you can just leave...and train clients when you have them. It's a matter of preference. If you think that being an adult and living that way is cool I understand. Just not for me.

- Turnover rate is CRAZY. I saw 4 people get fired in a 3 week span for training clients independently but EVERY one there is sneaking and training clients independently so that they can EAT and SURVIVE. So, rather than drinking the kool-aid of Equinox...why not just take the jump and start your own small business as a trainer?

- There are people who have been at this gym for 10+ years. Do you think you will get leads before them? Do you think there is no favoritism when it comes to passing decent leads? Do you think this doesn't promote a weird far too comfortable environment that is very far from professional? Yes. It does just that.

- You have to do these $12 an hour floor shifts until you have enough clients to "get off the floor". There are people who are with the company for over a year and are still on the floor. Being "on the floor" (meaning having to work these floor shifts) is not a reflection of you being a good or bad employee. It is a reflection of a company intentionally placing you in a position to lose because there are way too many trainers at the gym for everyone to be successful. There's too many trainers and not enough clients and management knows this but they still hire more people....they hire people and have them leave their good jobs and careers to come to Equinox and make $12 an hour. I was hired with 5 other people....4 of them left within a month because they were misinformed and drawn in by lies from management.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Hire children...17 and 18 year olds who can afford to spend countless hours building a career at Equinox. Be honest with your self. Would you do what you are asking people to do for $12 an hour. No - or you would still be doing it yourself.

10. "Front desk associate"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership, MAYBE network with people who go to the gym

Cons

Pay, scheduling, sometimes management. Mostly PAY

Advice to Management

You guys pay managers and assistants so much but most of the times they are back there sitting and chatting. Even the membership people. We do part of their jobs but don't get commission like they do? Something's wrong here.