Equinox Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Equinox Fitness Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • a lot of hours - political - work life balance does not really exist unless life is Equinox (in 44 reviews)

• Its a very demanding job- long hours (in 51 reviews)

1. "Low pay, but great gym"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership, nice healthy environment

Cons

Low pay, but if you're in school or only doing this as a part time job- it's great

2. "Fitness Instructor"

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Florida, NY
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Florida, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working for Equinox for a number of years. I've learned each and everyone of their training models / signature class' results are based on science. If you stick to the formula as written you WILL see results. They are eager to give opportunities to employees eager to take on new challenges. The Equinox Culture is upscale, proud, and strong.

Cons

Even slightly deviating from their ideology is ill advised.

Advice to Management

Focus on helping the indivual shine with their natural gifts and strength, as opposed to trying to manufacture cookie cutter employees.

"Over Hyped"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn from some of the top pros in the business. The education program is top notch. Alot of tools put in place for a trainer to succee.

Cons

the "revolving door" mentality is something that management needs to address.

Advice to Management

Think beyond the numbers.

"This job has an 80 percent attrition rate, what does that tell you??"

Current Employee - Membership Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Membership Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time

Pros

- good training at the beginning
    - fun people & they are dedicated
    - If you get a good manager and a good team, you can make a lot of money and it is fun
    - If you love working out then it's honestly a great gym

Cons

When they first hire you, they make you interview with about 4 people. They'll send you to different clubs and when you are hired tell you that you will make 80g easy and that "people will just throw down their credit cards." Then they send you to a week sales training where they try to get you to "Drink the Equinox Kool Aid." After you are put in your clubs you start meeting with people and it's MUCH harder than you think. Took me about a year to get good at the job, and when I did, I made a lot of money. HOWEVER, the company says it's a wellness company, but they expect you to be a sales robot and can treat you terribly. (Keep in mind I was the best they had). Here are some examples:

- As a membership advisor, You will literally have no life
    - You are scheduled for 9 hours a day, all at different and weird times
    - You MUST work one weekend day
    - they encourage you not to take breaks, or if you do only to
    work out
    - at the end of EVERY month you work at least 12 hour days or longer
    - Work like balance is super difficult
    - I personally had a bad manager who negated any feedback
    - When I tried to advance in the company I was dissuaded and nitpicked

I really can not state how much they take advantage of their employees. You are only as good as your last sale and 80 percent of people leave, you hardly recognize faces. If you are considering taking a job here, DO NOT. I feel like I wasted a huge part of my life.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better, don't treat them as work horses, encourage more of a work life balance.

"Terrific education, soul crushing place2work"

Former Employee - Equinox Personal Trainer, Tier I in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Equinox Personal Trainer, Tier I in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Education - efti and from senior trainers. Despite coming into the company with my ACE cert the efti education program is definitely very good. Also tips from the top tier trainers were priceless.

Cons

Floor shifts in the "blue shirts" management tries to justify floor shifts selling you the bs it gets you leads for clients. No it doesn't!!! Management also refuse to let you request off from floor shifts you have to try to get them covered and the kicker? They do the floor shift schedule 4 months at a time. Members look at you like your a towel boy/loser then there are HOURS of passive aggressive sales meetings per week. Lowest pay ridiculous hours I spent about 20 hours total training in 6 months with 100s of hours wasted picking up dirty towels and getting sick constantly. Equinox is also pimping out new trainers - member pays $125 per hour trainer gets around $25-30 only!!! I was sold by the glamour of being a trainer at such a high end club don't make the same mistake not worth your time or health. Education is incredible that's about it.

Advice to Management

Stop the floor shifts and your high turnover costs will stop also. They burn out new trainers, don't bring any new leads and decrease morale. Not to mention are hugely humiliating for new trainers. They are completely unnecessary.

7. "Good"

Former Employee - Membership Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Membership Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Place GM is wonderful

Cons

Lots of hours and work

Advice to Management

None

"You work for a real estate CORPORATION, NOT a health and wellness club."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Culture, teamwork mentality with subordinates, club membership, strong community, great networking

Cons

Treacherous members, it's all about the $$ not the people that are employed, everyone is always on edge to hit their exorbitant monthly goals, 12-hour shifts at the end of the month, working 50+h per week with low pay, corporate feel is very "big-brother." Yearly MERIT increases should NEVER be less than 25 cents-- usually the company gives hourly employees a merit increase every 12 months for $0.15 - 0.40 each year, with the mean heavy towards the low end-- this isn't a merit increase, this is a pity increase. Also, the company needs to know that selling "wellness, nutrition, and health" to their clients can only REALLY be effective when you uphold these ideals with your employees, first-- having a big turnover rate and sullen attitudes with your hourly employees is indicative of the pillaging of the stress-filled and stifled environment in the club.

Advice to Management

Extend much MORE appreciation to your hourly employees, especially your front desk staff, who are underappreciated, have a thankless existence, and these employees are what hold the bricks of customer service and mortar of the member experience together at the club level. It is SO SAD that when the executives of the company come in to do a walk-through, and they pay absolutely NO attention to the FD'ers, yet the CEO of the company says the FD is the most important think in the members' eyes. There is such a disconnect between the wellbeing of the front desk and the upper club and company management.

"Bad Management"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent money, most people are good, good education

Cons

Long hours, false culture, fake management, no balance, management always wants more yet not willing to do anything themselves

Advice to Management

Stop pushing the good managers out and keeping the bad ones. Management act like cowards and act phony.

"Beware the KOOL-AID!"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Premier Health Club
    -Bonuses
    -Edu. opportunities
    -"Potential" for great pay
    -Great Co-workers and members

Cons

- Poor management
    - No Windows
    -Revolving Door (employment)
    -Unorganized lead generation system
    -Did I mention the poor management?
    -Hiring new trainers before helping existing/Ramping trainers reach full-time
    -Pointless meetings
    -Very crowded during peak hours
    -Unrealistic expectations
    -Cult like environment
    -Managers are NEVER at work

Advice to Management

FEED YOUR WHALES, STARVE YOUR FISH! If you want a successful business, help the people/trainers who make the business successful. Stop firing/ hindering/ being unsupportive of your MOST TALENTED/SKILLED TRAINERS!

"Great corporate atmosphere, engaging, compensation, and worklife balance"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location in manhattan, compensation, work life balance, people. Work is engaging but not stressful. Incredible place to work if you are a young adult

Cons

Large companies with many nuances. Although corporate is a great place to work. There are some problems that could be fixed at the field level