Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company does a lot to recognize it's employees and to give employees great benefits. Loved the covered parking, and the 401K contribution.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"A Long Way to go to Become an Employer of Choice"

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time

Pros

Treat day

Covered parking

Early dismissal on the business day before holidays

Cons

The new Senior Management Team (the Company was acquired in April 2017) has instilled fear, as employees have been terminated for no apparent reason.

Rampant favoritism for employees liked by the new Chief Operating Officer, as these employees can 'do no wrong' while others are under constant scrutiny in fear of losing their jobs.

Extensive berating of employees behind their backs, including those employees who were terminated, creating a hostile work environment. This behavior occurs even within departments, making them dysfunctional.

Senior Management (except the COO) is not based in Salt Lake City, and visits periodically, and are quite inaccessible. I missed the open door policy of the former CEO and President.

Lack of coordination among departments, especially between those that report through the COO and those that do not.

The Company is in financial difficulty, having lost millions thus far in 2017 (per the statements filed with the Utah Insurance Department that are public).

The Company is still heavily involved with a rogue agent who nearly took the Company down when he was attempting to acquire the Company.

Very poor paid time off policy, with only one week of vacation that is accrued with each pay period in the first year of employment, effectively prohibiting taking any vacation until your first year is up. There are only three weeks vacation provided after 10 years of service, again a small amount of time.

Six sick days (also accrued) each year may be insufficient for unexpected illnesses and short-term hospital stays.

Advice to Management

Convey bad (e.g. financial losses) as well as good news so that employees are aware of what is going on.

Institute objective performance measures and performance improvement plans so that employees who truly should be terminated are, while others who are at least meeting expectations should take comfort in their status. Whenever employees are terminated because of restructuring, the reason for the restructuring and the appropriate strategy should be conveyed so employees do not speculate the reasons for these unexpected terminations.

"I adored this company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

treat days, raises, family atmosphere, summer parties, awards, recognition, room for growth and advancement, communication, allows you to be self motivated

Cons

There are no cons. I loved everything about this company. There was also a lot of room for growth and opportunities.

Advice to Management

Management was one of the best things about this company

Oct 6, 2017 – HR Officer

Thanks so much for your feedback!

"Large Corporate Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for diverse design experiences.

Cons

Subjected to sexual harassment from manager.

Advice to Management

Provide assistance and support to employees who express distress over how they are being treated by their superiors.

Oct 23, 2017 – HR Officer

I’m sorry that happened to you. Every employee is entitled to work in a safe environment. However, we are a smaller family-feel company and I see you live in NY. I suspect that you may have the... More

"Not a Family Company for Everyone"

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time

Pros

Free milk, orange juice, coffee, crackers
    Treats every Thursday
    Summer and Christmas parties
    Inexpensive covered parking for use after hours and on weekends downtown
    Low medical insurance employee contributions

Cons

Facts that should give one pause about working at this company:
    1. The Vice Chairman entered into an agreement with the SEC where he paid a fine and had his CPA license suspended for 5 years, for ‘cooking the books’ at another company. [This is public information.]

2. Three individuals were abruptly let go for no apparent reason since the company was sold in April 2017:
        An individual with over 20 years of service
        An individual who was a vital resource in leading the annual ‘AEP’
            An individual undergoing treatment for cancer
    [A true family company would not have engaged in any of these terminations and would have worked with individuals to maintain their employment]

Other disadvantageous policies:
    There are fees for participation in the flexible spending account, even if one does not get a debit card.

Unexpected absences on the business day before or after a company holiday result in additional absence day(s) for the company holiday (2 days for Thanksgiving and the following day).

There is no pay for new employees for company holidays for a period of time, so an employee hired in October will not get paid for Thanksgiving and the day after.

There is insufficient vacation time, with maximum of three weeks after 10 years of service.

Advice to Management

Move to terminate individuals who really aren't valuable to the Company, as their presence is a dis-service to both the Company and other employees. Provide a performance improvement plan with progressive discipline instead of abrupt terminations.

Oct 6, 2017 – HR Officer

Thanks for your feedback.

It’s very unfortunate when our employees leave a company. Typically abrupt departures can leave a lot of room for assumptions. This can be hard on remaining employees... More

"New ownership made it worse."

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Former owner was awesome. Good employees and hours.

Cons

Ruthless, if you disagree with their views. No loyalty to employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust and give better feedback.

7. "Under New Ownership"

I have been working at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for Equitable for quite some time so I was very nervous when the company was sold earlier this year. Now that it's been 3 months, I'm very excited about where Equitable is going. The new management believes in the unique culture that we've all grown to love and expect, while introducing a new elements of growth, direction, and enthusiasm. Our new CEO has a great energy and I look forward to working under his leadership.

Cons

Our former CEO will be missed.

Advice to Management

If we grow as projected, try to retain the family culture as long as possible.

Oct 6, 2017 – HR Officer

Thanks for your feedback. We agree that retaining the family culture is important and will work to preserve that no matter our size.

"Great environment and people"

Current Employee - Quality in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Quality in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Treat Thursday, people are friendly, has a "family" atmosphere vs nust feeling like a #. They value you, and makr you feel appreciated.

Cons

Favouritism among employees, once a manager or 2 like you, you're the golden child. However if you're the average jane you won't get a fair shot of moving up.

Advice to Management

Quit with the favouritism

Jun 30, 2017 – HR Officer

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and make our employees feel comfortable and happy. It seems that you are a current employee here. As previously mentioned, we... More

"Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Good work environment
    Good people to work with
    Flexible schedules
    Treat day on Thursday

Cons

Company recently sold, don't know how that will change things

Oct 6, 2017 – HR Officer

Happy to hear!! Thanks for sharing.

"Good Overall"

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time

Pros

Ability to work with little supervision, no micro management

Cons

Had to dress in business casual every day. Management didn't have a clear vision and lacked experience leaning on the wrong individuals