Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Prouty

"Administrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provides a unique family atmosphere that most companies are not able to. Has minimal office politics and seeks to have a culture of transparency. The executive management team is confidential but not egotistical...any employee would feel welcome to pop in to chew the fat with the CEO. Equitable really does try to treat their employees right. While it is not a perfect company, and no company is, they are truly the best company to work for!

Cons

That not all my loved ones could work for Equitable. :)

"Great small town feel in the big city"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many positions require no more education than a high school diploma or GED. Promotion from within is encouraged almost to a fault as many that are promoted are not quite qualified for their new roles.

Cons

There are a lot of activities and policies a that are out of touch with this day and age. Jeans days in most organizations are every Friday with no restrictions. Equitable has jeans days every other Friday but a donation of at least 1$ is required. The company gives back to the community through these donations and other events, but does not have any program allowing employees to donate their services on company time.

Human resources gets too involved with wellness programs. It is none if their business how much we weigh.

Advice to Management

Hold Senior Management meetings with employees to hear their voice through direct communication and not through anonymous questions that go through Human Resources.

Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company Response

Jun 20, 2016 – HR Officer

Thanks for your input. As you know, we are an 80+ year old company with deep roots in tradition and family-like culture. Unlike Google or Facebook, for example, our customer base is senior ... More

3. "Great, Caring Company. Great place to buy insurance, sell insurance, or to work at!"

Current Employee - Multiple in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Multiple in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Fair compensation. Work-life balance is great. Friendly, family-like, caring atmosphere/culture among employees.

Cons

no more LTC (sad, but good considering LTC claims are HIGH). Something needs to be done to make senior care more affordable for general public!

Advice to Management

Consider looking at additional product offerings and corporate advertising to get our name out more.

"I felt I was providing a great service as I managed the clients that used their long term insurance benefits."

Former Employee - Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Care Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are faithful. some have been there for 10 to 25 years.

Cons

I thought I would retire there, I was devastated when the new CEO decided to do away with our Dept.

Advice to Management

Keep their employees informed.

6. "Best place to work in Utah!"

I have been working at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I originally started with Equitable assuming this would a short term job for me until I found what I was looking for in a company. Within my first few months here, I knew I had found the place I wanted to start my career with. Equitable knows what they're doing! I have never felt more valued, motivated, or cared for than I have with this company. At Equitable, you're not just a number. There is a strong sense of comradery and you get to be a part of the bigger picture and know that you’re making an impact.

There are plenty of opportunities for advancement. They often send employees to training seminars to aid in continuing their growth within the company.

Equitable offers a multitude of benefits including:
    • Tuition Reimbursement
    • LOMA and ALU training paid for 100% with added bonuses
    • Holiday bonuses
    • Amazing company and holiday parties!
    • Great benefits. Equitable pays for your LTD, STD, AD&D and even a 50K life insurance policy for you 100%
    • Wellness programs offering you discounts on your insurance premiums
    • Discounted fit bits and professional training bikes
    • PTO
    • CHEAP covered parking. $5 per month
    • Free milk, juice, coffee, crackers in the kitchen
    • Free 24 hour gym access
    • Discounted bus passes
    the list goes on.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any!

"Best place I have worked at"

Pros

Room for growth, Professional and friendly environment, Customer service is outstanding, Added benefits that uplift office moral.

Cons

I cant say any cons, all that I am looking for in a work environment is here.

"Best Place to work in Utah"

Pros

Equitable began has a family company, and all Employees are treated as members of a close family. The President of the Company came by on my first day at the office, introduced himself, knew my name and I've always felt like he truly cared that I worked here.

Another benefit is location. It's downtown, close to a Trax station! Location is everything...

Cons

No job is perfect - however, I am unable to come up with a "con" to working for the Best Company in Utah.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to improve and take us to new levels. Equitable promotes within - giving employees many opportunities to move in to Supervisory or Management positions. Equitable doesn't stop there. It continues training for Management level employees - so that we can all be the best that we can be.

"Not Loyal to Employees"

I worked at Equitable Life & Casualty Insurance Company full-time

Pros

Free crackers, milk, juice and coffee, hot chocolate and tea. Nice break room and lounge area. Nice location and covered parking. Benefits o.k.

Cons

Not loyal to long term employees. Long term/dedicated employees not made to feel valuable. Job position can be eliminated in a minute. Financial stability is a roller-coaster. Lack of honesty and integrity.

Advice to Management

Care more for employees as people with feelings. Don't hurt others for own gain. Hire trustworthy management.