Equity LifeStyle Properties Reviews | Glassdoor

Equity LifeStyle Properties Reviews

Updated June 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people and a great business model (in 8 reviews)

• This company, from Corporate to Property level, treat their employees as part of interactive team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tends to give you the run around (in 16 reviews)

• Low pay micromanage if your in north cali (in 14 reviews)

"Great company culture | Strong support"

Current Employee - Resort Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Resort Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ELS is particularly flexible, with a strong support system for those entering from other management industries. Corporate side is very well organized, while still supporting my entrepreneurial spirit. ELS has been a great company thus far.

Cons

Health benefits offered require deductibles; chose to remain on wife's -0- deductible health insurance plan.

Advice to Management

N/A

Aug 5, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

"Equity LifeStyle Properties"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for this company, overall I never feel like I am at work since this workplace is filled with fun and interesting people. A very friendly and inviting place to work, with advancement opportunities.

Cons

As with any employer in the career world, you need to work way up. Staring salary was on the lower end of the Chicago marketplace, however after 3 years of hard work and a positive attitude I feel I am closer to where I should be.

Advice to Management

Work smarter not harder!

Aug 5, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback!

"maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in South Dennis, MA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in South Dennis, MA

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you don't have to work very hard. as they wont spend money on materials to work with.
    pick materials from dump and recycle.

Cons

Place is really a crap hole. they're too cheap to buy material to work with.
    Have to get what's needed from dump. no joke.
     cesspools constant overflowing and stink of raw sewerage most all ways in the air.
    Customers come absolutely last. Top priority is making employees job easier.
    only way to get along is to gossip about residents. by doing so you don't have to work just hang in office and talk and wait for clock to time out.
    hard to work with people so dumb.
    you need to save bottles and cans to make extra money because pay is so bad.
    we ask the guest and residents to save their empty returnables for employees.
    now that is sad but true.

Advice to Management

treat residents as the customers they are. Instead of treating them as if they nothing but a burden.
    Management actually goes out of their way to make life miserable for residents.
    In a lame attempt to make their jobs easier.

4. "Temporary Community Management"

Former Employee - Community Services Assistant in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Community Services Assistant in Bowie, MD

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties (Less than a year)

Pros

Excited to get back in workforce.

Cons

Learned lots of new office procedures, such as bank deposit from the desk. Brushed up on my accounting skills. Work as point of contact for vendors and residents. Enjoyed helping to make each one of them happy, which became quickly adapted to. Which made my working with them was very enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Closely Monitor Management Staff.

"Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Health Insurance benefits could be better

"Satisfied Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

High opportunity for growth within the company. We have countless success stories demonstrating that commitment including myself.

Strong entrepreneurial culture. Unlike giant organizations, we are a mid-size company where you can truly have a voice that gets heard. New ideas are always welcome. We are constantly growing, striving for excellence in everything we do and looking for the next big idea to help us get there. I have personally lead process improvement teams and seen my ideas get implemented and it's a great feeling to be a part of that, lead change and work for a company that has your back and will support your interests. This isn't a company that feels certain things are not in your "lane." The company encourages and looks highly upon staff members getting involved outside of their specific job scope.

The people. We are in the business of having fun and that trickles into the culture and personality of the people. I am fortunate to be able to travel to multiple properties and it is an absolute pleasure meeting everyone whom runs the business and interacts with the customers first hand. We are in the camping business so having fun is what we do, and I can only see even more opportunities to harness that potential in the near future.

Recognition. I have never worked for a company and felt more appreciated. I've received the Essential Piece award, multiple informal commendations from leaders throughout and across the organization, in addition to receiving compensation increases.

Strong business. You don't need to worry about your job because the stock only continues to go up throughout my entire tenure with the company. We have strong business minds running the enterprise; we have a strong business model and a track record of success in what we do. Another thing of mention is we have a female CEO. There aren't many female CEO's around the world so I think this alone speaks a lot to equal opportunity, support and the culture here at ELS. I am proud and inspired beyond what I can put to print here.

Employee focus. This is a truly exciting time for the business. We've always cared about our people but we are at a pivotal time where we are putting our heads together and trying to come up with new ways to engage employees, recognize staff and create an even stronger culture. It's a very exciting time to be employed at ELS. We have unlimited potential to grow not only the business but to become a world-class preferred place of employment.

I do have to say after reading some of the negative reviews on here I should add a few pieces of feedback to people looking for employment here. This will be tough if you're uncomfortable with ambiguity, need to be micro-managed or without vision and planning skills. If you want to be told what to do and delivered a recipe to success this is not the place for you. Being successful will take diligence, persistence, intentional planning, navigation of ambiguity and someone willing to roll up their sleeves. It's challenging and rewarding work. If you're looking to simply earn a paycheck this is not the place for you. If you're looking for a challenge where you want to see a visible impact, are self-motivated and dedicated to excellence and want to be a part of a rapidly growing organization... welcome. Your last stop is here with us.

Cons

The one thing that could use some uplift is the company benefits. The medical package is expensive with minimal coverage and the 401K is average.

Advice to Management

You all have great personalities and we could learn so much from your knowledge and expertise. It would be great to get you more visible across the entire organization.

Jul 25, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for the positive feedback. Employee satisfaction is a key part of our success as an organization. We are in the process of evaluating company benefits and will certainly pass this feedback ... More

"Wish things could have turned out differently"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Tarpon Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Tarpon Springs, FL

Pros

Good people to work with, decent training, annual bonus eligibility

Cons

Lack of communication, not enough support

Advice to Management

I wish things had been different. I thought I was doing a fairly decent job managing my community. I stayed within my budget for the most part which wasn't an easy task being that I had very little to work with and a much older community. My property was always 100% occupied, my delinquency almost 0 most months, and I received a high score on my annual audit. So when I was handed my annual performance review, I was shocked to read what my manager's really thought about the job I was doing.

Not only did it crush my spirit and make me feel completely inadequate, it also made me feel like I had to make a quick decision if I wanted to stay ahead of the game and keep myself employed. I basically left Equity Lifestyle for the first job that came along with similar pay and benefits, out of fear that they would soon be terminating me based on my review. I wish I never had to make that decision, because I was definitely happier where I was before now.

My advice to management would be next time please consider having a verbal discussion with your employee if you feel they aren't doing the job to your level of satisfaction. Let them know what it is you'd like to see change.

Jul 25, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take the annual review process very seriously and it is an integral part of assessing our internal talent. We would like to get more ... More

"Best Corporate Structure"

Current Employee - Property Manager in East Stroudsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in East Stroudsburg, PA

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The support from corporate is amazing! Training is mandatory but always fun and exciting!
    There is an internal university within the company which is helpful. Learning and Development Department is awesome!
    Upper management work with you!

Cons

Not being able to have relatives in supervisory positions. Families tend to work at resorts from a young age and these individuals are well rounded for promotions and the knowledge and experience they bring can not be matched!

Advice to Management

Change hiring policies to allow upward mobility for local families.

Jul 25, 2016 – Recruiting

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are looking into alternative, creative hiring practices and will definitely take this into consideration.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Equity LifeStyle Properties full-time

Pros

Great people and a great business model. It is a fast paced and highly collaborative work environment. Top management really cares about the employees and the customers.

Cons

Not a lot of process documentation

Jul 25, 2016 – Recruiting

Thank you for the positive feedback!

"Not very happy, need answers"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Manchester, NH

I worked at Equity LifeStyle Properties (More than 10 years)

Pros

Met some real nice people at the property level. Some great employees. Some very nice peers

Cons

Corporate mentality all by the numbers. Some upper level manager do not care about their employees only the budge.t. Do not see the entire picture

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around

Jul 25, 2016 – Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We would like to get more information about your experience within your region. Can you please contact HR at human_resources@equitylifestyle.com.