Equity Residential Reviews | Glassdoor

Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Most of upper management does not have an open door policy (in 35 reviews)

• no work life balance as you have to work almost every weekend (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love My Job!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Equity Residential is committed to not only taking care of it's residents, but also the employees. I have been here 10 years and I still get blown away at the amount of time and attention the employees get. I truly feel valued and appreciated every day. Another bonus of working at Equity--my co-workers feel like family to me now after 10 years. I have made lifelong friends here. Also, Equity has really started recognizing successes more frequently and shares those successes in our weekly portfolio-wide meetings. I really feel like I live the "work hard, play hard" motto here at Equity.

Cons

Some communities, in my opinion, are staffed a little light. I understand the save in salary but some communities could use maybe 1 more person in the office or 1 more person on the maintenance team (even if it's part-time or seasonal). I have only seen this at a couple of communities though.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize successes like you have been. A thank you goes a long way in our industry. And seeing the smiles on the faces of my team when they get an emailed thank you from someone in the corporate office or receive a Be Think Play Live coin is priceless!

Aug 18, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Wow - what an incredible compliment you have given us! We sincerely thank you for your 10 years of service; the fact that you have such a positive attitude about your career and the company speaks... More

"This is a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and bonuses are very good as is the opportunity for advancement. The culture is the best thing about working here. The team genuinely care about and share in each others success. I love it!

Cons

The "run lean" philosophy can be overly stressful at times.

Advice to Management

More floaters

3. "Horrible technology, with MRI"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sr Management was down to earth and friendly while very smart and professional. Great Medical Insurance

Cons

Bad technology, can be let go for someone else's mistake if they have more seniority than you they'll pass the buck and can the little guy

Advice to Management

Get Onesite or Yardi like everyone else in property management. JD Edwards would be a great tool. Hold the right people accountable for mistakes not whomever you find disposable.

4. "Porter"

Current Employee - Porter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Porter in New York, NY

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and bonus

Cons

A sick day taken before or after day off require doctor’s note.

Advice to Management

Don’t abuse your authority.

5. "Regional Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

little micro-management and plenty of work

Cons

low salary and very little room for promotion

6. "" ehh So ,So""

I worked at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Benefits , full time , easy to transfer communities.

Cons

Poor management ,company is very needy , always changing policies .

"My Equity"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company outing :) I truly grew and care about this company. New manger should care about the team that are in community.

Cons

Its easier to get promoted when you are White

Advice to Management

I just miss our old GM. I feel like I need to leave because things have changes completely. Our new GM is lazy. and its rubbing on us. I don't feel motivated anymore.

Nov 27, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are discouraged to hear this is your perception of our promotion process. It is in stark contrast to our core organizational values of diversity and inclusion... More

8. "Great People - Good Company"

Former Employee - Regional Accountant in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Accountant in Augusta, GA

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee focused, fun outings, fun people to work with, upper-management really seem to care, amazing culture and values. Offer flextime.

Cons

My training was very slow and I didn't have enough work to keep me busy. I sat idle for a great portion of each month. They claim pay includes various benefits (most companies have the same benefits, but at Equity you can get the price a little lower) but if you don't take those benefits, you don't get additional compensation (pay). Little room for promotion as the turnover is very low.

Advice to Management

The compensation formula for Augusta, GA is wrong. Give your people a raise. Keep in mind that you can't please everyone and when you try, you create entitlement.

Nov 27, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your prior experience working with us. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our culture and your coworkers and that you felt supported by... More

"Run for your life!"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They’ll hire anyone. You literally don’t have to have any experience at all and will get paid the same or more than those that do.

Cons

If your not in the in crowd your looked over and thought to be dramatic about your complaints. Upper management never checks in with you. The resident is ALWAYS right, even when they verbally abuse or assault you. You must have done something to provoke them. The pay is not at all worth the experience. Commission structure is low, and your employee discount is taxed. So you technically only get a 20% discount instead of the 40% they lure you with. Everyone seems miserable and stressed. Trying to bring your issues to management will just be deflected back into how it’s somehow something you could do differently. No one takes accountability.

Advice to Management

Look into why employees are leaving. Check in with remaining employees on their experiences. Make management accountable for high turnover!

Dec 5, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We understand and appreciate that customer service situations can become challenging at times. We would like to hear more about your... More

"Great systems, poor leadership"

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Systems are best of the best. Easy to navigate and very transparent. Lots of support from marketing and accounting. Training is very thorough. OTD is a well oiled machine.

Cons

Leadership in the NY market is lacking to say the least. Constantly focused on opportunity, minimal discussion or recognition for what is going well. VPs and RMs are very robotic and care only about the bottom line. When they pretend to care about the people, it’s pathetically fake. Though this seems to be a trickle down effect from Chicago. Those of us on site are constantly questioned and spend hours explaining decisions.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders with better priorities. Stop taking a magnifying glass to everything we do. It’s exhausting feeling like there is no trust.

Nov 27, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback. Although it is disappointing for us to hear, we appreciate your insight and your desire to help us improve. We are concerned that... More