Equity Residential Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life/ balance and genuine friendship created from co workers (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits especially our above average housing discount (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunities, Growth and Support From Leadership!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started with Equity as a Leasing Consultant, was promoted to Senior Leasing Consultant, then promoted to Assistant Manager and now Community Manager. My experience with Equity has been one of constant support and encouragement toward growth and furthering my career and personal development. Equity frequently rewards exceptional effort and results with awards and bonuses. Pay is competitive. Larger company, which means more opportunities for advancement, more often. Equity is ethical and has created a culture of kindness around "doing the right thing."

Cons

Rent can still be expensive with the great employee discount on rents, since many of our communities are located in higher rent areas.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer the incredible training and coaching that has helped me to succeed. This makes all the difference in a person's career.

Equity Residential Response

Apr 1, 2018 – Operations Specialist

Can you see the smile on all of our faces? We love hearing about your impressive career path with the company, and that you have felt encouraged and supported along the way by your leaders, by our... More

2. "Equity Has Made Me Confident In My Work"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Equity Residential has a great approach to the term "Work/Life Balance". They encourage you to take time off when possible because they recognize that the better employees are treated, the quality of work increases. I have never felt more confident in a job as I do working for Equity. I truly feel like I can grow with this company and reach for positions I never thought possible. Equity thrives on promoting from within and cares a lot about experience and less about an unrelated college degree. Many VP's and Corporate employees have started from the ground up in this company/field. There is a reason why Equity is one of the top Property Mangement companies in the U.S - residents appreciate the passion and drive behind the company which starts with the employees. Equity Residential is a remarkable company!

Cons

The employee discount on rent is great, but I do wish that it was a little more in the thriving markets. It is still difficult to afford a lot of the apartments with the discount given.

"A Remarkable Place to Work"

Current Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Equity has become like a family to me over the last 9+ years. They really care about their employees and the culture is one of self empowerment and total well-being for each of us. Hard work is recognized and promotion opportunities are plentiful. Equity gives you the tools to succeed and help you grow. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Cons

As with most other large corporations, big decisions can take some time to get approved at the top. It's good to think things out to ensure the best outcome, but it can be frustrating sometimes for action oriented personalities.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to promote a fair and fun work environment and don't forget to enjoy the ride.

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working for Equity for over 14 years. During my time, I have seen a lot change. Through all the changes, there has always been a strong sense of team and I have always felt supported. I would recommend Equity to anyone looking to get into the property management industry. There’s just something about Equity.

Cons

There are none that come to mind

"Great Company - Embraces Diversity, Takes Care of Valued Employees & Residents"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very competitive. Training is exceptional, with classes for every skill level, and rewards and recognition are practiced regularly. You won't feel forgotten or overlooked for your hard work.

Cons

No cons really, but I think we can do better on paid maternity/paternity leave time, which can set an example of even higher standards, and approving longer vacations.

"Streamlined, innovative, collaborative culture"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology and innovation is remarkable. I am impressed by this large company's ability to take new ideas in to consideration, to listen to feedback and create solutions for needs that are uncovered. There is a great sense and feeling of being on the same team. If something goes wrong, the team is there to fix it and find a solution, no finger pointing. I truly feel that we are in this together.

Cons

If you are uncomfortable with transparency, this is not the place for you.

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VP: Corey is an awesome individual to work for. He is very down to earth and try to get to know each individual. He offers great support.

Cons

More training facilities closer to south bay since travel to SF is very hectic with traffic

"Opportunity is there if you put in the work!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great rent discount. Competitive pay for people who go the extra mile. I've gotten a raise every single year but I've also stepped my game up every year and demonstrated my added value. Awesome people! I've made life long friends and really have a support network of people that I can count on. Incredible training. I feel like I'm getting paid to go to school.

Equity is the best job I've ever had and will be one of the biggest reasons for my future success.

Cons

It's not easy. If you're looking for an easy job, this isn't it. Dealing with people at properties is tough work and you have to pay your dues if you want to move up. We've all been there, and it will build character.

A lot of people complain about work life balance. TBH I've been in my current role for 8 months and usually work closer to 6 days a week, but that's because I care about my building and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I'm not required to work that hard and in fact I was encouraged in my yearly review to take it easy and relax!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because it works!

9. "I Love it Here!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement. Excellent benefits package. Professional colleagues. Competitive pay. Training. Technology. Beautiful assets. Location of work sites are some of the best for commuting. On-boarding of new employees is a seem-less transition.

Cons

If you consider this a con - There is a very talented workforce at Equity so applying for internal positions can be very competitive. Weekends and emergency response can be mandatory, position specific.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the bonus structure and commission structure.

10. "Wonderful Company!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Union City, CA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Equity Residential for a little over 5 years. I started as a Customer Support Assistant, and have been promoted twice since. For the last 2 years, I have been managing my own property, and love my what I do! Equity Residential truly cares about the well being of their employees! I am never without support from my upper management, and always feel that I am appreciated. The company provides a very generous rent discount, and a comprehensive benefits package. If you are looking for a company with an amazing culture that values their employees, look no further!

Cons

I do not have any cons

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do!