Equity Residential Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Pros
Cons
  • There can often be more work than can be accomplished in a day but that is the challenge in any job to maintain work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Most of upper management does not have an open door policy (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A company with heart"

Current Employee - Multi Site Community Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Multi Site Community Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for a lot of property management companies. 2 years ago when I began looking for a new company, I set my priorities towards finding a company that I could stay with long term, a company that exuded integrity and genuinely put people first.
    My experience afforded me some great offers for managing some new and competitive communities. What drew me to Equity is that they were not willing to give me one of their lease up communities. They genuinely believe in developing their employees and giving them opportunities and grow in their role. While this made me feel like I needed to take a step back, it definitely felt like a company that would give me opportunities in the future and help me grow my career as well.
    The culture at Equity is very 'people' oriented. The focus on our customers and staff typically comes before the bottom line. Making people happy will bring you the profits you seek and I feel a lot better about what I contribute on a daily bases knowing I have the right kind of support from upper management and senior leadership.
    There is definitely a sense of pride in this community and I also get the sense that retention of our employees AND residents is much higher than our competitors as well.
    If you are considering a career in property management, I highly recommend you give Equity a try.

Cons

I sincerely feel that Equity Residential is equipped to handle any issue and is great at communication to avoid major cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Feb 20, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Wow - we are blown away by your insight, your uplifting perspective, and with the way you have connected with the culture here at Equity. We couldn’t have said it better ourselves! Running any ... More

2. "BEST Property Management Company Ever!!!!!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Support Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Equity Residential (More than 3 years)

Pros

EQR is by far the BEST company out there. Equity offers a great amount of in-person training from strong leaders, they offer benefits to the residents, great employee benefits and rent discounts if you live onsite and the people who work in EQR are great and have a great reputation. I was sad to see EQR leave the Phoenix market :(

Cons

I lived on-site and wanted to break my lease in order to transfer. The room mate situation went bad so I needed out quick. I was highly disappointed that they would not waive the transfer fee of $500 due to me being an employee. That's the really only bad thing I could say.

3. "Leasing Consultant"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Great team, 1 hour lunch

Cons

Many residents in the upper west side apartments are rude, racist, and disrespectful. Management lets them walk all over the leasing office and wonders why so many people want to leave. Btw, its 2017, blatant racism, really?

Advice to Management

Help us make the difference and support the teams in need. Use your leadership for good, not just for a hefty salary. Instead of making excuses for the residents, why not find solutions for the overall issue. "Huddle" me that.

May 17, 2017 – Operations Specialist

We appreciate your positive comments about the people and benefits at Equity, yet we are very sorry to hear of the challenges that you experienced. We pride ourselves on being an employer committed ... More

5. "The Best In The Industry"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Training
    -Entrepreneurial work environment
    - Gives employees a sense of ownership
    - You give feedback and they listen
    - They walk the talk
    - The culture here is amazing

Cons

- Compensation package could be a little bit better.
    - Not every leader really understand the company's culture
    - Company can get greedy with pushing rent but as a public company it makes sense to keep increasing revenues

Advice to Management

You guys are the best in the industry. Please keep enforcing the company's culture.

Apr 21, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Hello, and a high-five to you for your five-star review! We appreciate everything you said - not just the wonderful compliments, but also your thoughtful and balanced feedback and your impactful ... More

6. "Tax Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and the people are nice.

Cons

Equity talks about Career Opportunities from within, but I didn't see that. It was very hard to move around within the Company.

May 17, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your recollections of your time with us. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the benefits and the people, we regret that you did not feel career ... More

"Where is the Equal Opportunity here?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Equity is a true model of diversity and team work. As an employee you have great resources and you can get an answer for any question very rapidly. The company offers great softwares to manage the business and a lot of metrics to measure your performance. Equity offers great range of benefits and very wide verity of communities that you can work and live at in the major cities. The top ranking leaders speak to you from their hearts and genuinely trying to be close to every single member in the field.

Cons

The obstacle myself and several of my peers are facing is the job growth opportunity. The company started a program that literally ended our dreams to grow within Equity. The program is limited to a very few Leasing members to join the “Accelerate for Sales” through a nomination process that lacks transparency in general . Although the completion of the program doesn’t guarantee a promotion to the “top few nominees” but the in reality it does.

The promotions became limited to the very program grads only. No matter what you do, how you improve, how much you add to your team and your community, you are not considered for a promotion if you are not one of the “top few nominees” who graduated from the program. The classes through the program are very valuable and they should be part of all the leasing members training. So I ask the senior leadership to think about this program and not limit the job growth, the attention, the spot light and the knowledge to only few members in the region. We are talking about 6 nominees out of over 80 leasing members, where is the Equal Opportunity here?

Advice to Management

Create more connection between the field members and the top leadership. This will help fix the problem before its too late.

Apr 27, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for sharing your thoughts. We consider it a learning opportunity to hear that something we create with the best of intentions may not always be interpreted and perceived as ... More

8. "Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down the people - Equity has some of the most talented and passionate people you'll ever encounter!

Cons

Vertical career growth can take some time.

Apr 10, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for your positive review! We love your comments about the talent and passion of our employees - we are inspired by them every day. Regarding vertical career growth, we recognize ... More

9. "Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Concierge in New York, NY

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits to live on

Cons

No work & life balance

Advice to Management

Get a back up plan .

Mar 29, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy our benefits and have an overall favorable view of our company, but are sorry to hear that you ... More

10. "There's Something About Equity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For a large, publicly-traded company with a dispersed employee population there is a tremendous small company feel. The organization truly cares about and values their employees and invests alot in employee and leadership development.
    Highly competitive benefits and good compensation.
    Highly accessible/visible senior leadership team with transparent communications to all levels.
    Solid company with well positioned assets and a never-ending quest to be the best performing multi-family company, and definately is a leader of the pack.

Cons

There may be some differences among the markets based on regional leadership but generally there is a pretty universal employee experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great balance between people, profits & product! And your open, honest lines of communication.

Mar 16, 2017 – Operations Specialist

"There’s something about Equity - and there’s something about you!” We love everything about this review - including the nostalgic throwback to one of our former marketing taglines. It makes us smile ... More

11. "Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent...and that's even debatable.

Cons

This company is cheap, robotic and micromanaged. Managers can make the smallest decisions without it being approved by upper management. if you're a favorite of upper management.. you will get promoted even if you don't deserve it. i watched good, talented people leave because they were not getting promoted after years of hard work. The fakeness of the corporate culture is also striking.

Advice to Management

There's a reason for such high turnover. You need to make a change - at least in the NY region.

Apr 21, 2017 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. While we know we will always have areas of opportunity as a company, we do believe that we have a leadership team who cares about their employees’ successes and ... More