Equity Residential Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Pros
  • Have taken recent steps to ensure more of a work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Great Benefits, 401K match after a year, team mentality, morally fit, helpful upper management & customer service oriented (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • There can often be more work than can be accomplished in a day but that is the challenge in any job to maintain work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Most of upper management does not have an open door policy (in 31 reviews)

1. "Overrall Bad Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, GA

I worked at Equity Residential part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent work hours, company outings, company pot lunches, company recognitions.

Cons

Not enough training for the job giving to you, harassment, no extra money giving when promoted, unfair treatment to certain people, managers acting more like friends than a manager with certain employees, assumptions, stressful environment, favoritism, accusing workers of non truthful things, high turnovers

Oct 24, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We are sorry to hear that you experienced stress and challenges with your coworkers and manager while working here. We encourage you to contact Human Resources at 312-928-1210 to share the details of ... More

2. "Fake review"

Pros

We're did a freaking score point come from you really should be 1.0 so rig an fake you see the once that are unhappy are the maintenance dept.those are one of the most important pice of the puzzle and also look at the residential reviews there also unhappy you can't please them but still do the math

Cons

All talk low pay this is a multimillion dollar industry and yet employees do not make make enough money to even afford to live at the property they work at

Advice to Management

Pay respectable wages that employee can be proud also can afford to live at your community and any other community that you own you should really get mentor by multibillion-dollar companies which is called Google and Yahoo which is a different department but still there employees are well nourished and happy which create heavy productivity

3. "More dictatorship. They pay you to do and not to think."

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great communities and great peers. Lots of growth in DC metro area. Great leadership conferences for CM and above. Cutting edge technology.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch. Local leadership did not have your back and could not be trusted. Your performance is judged by over 45 metrics. Some manipulation was used to make numbers look better. Short sighted decisions were made to hit earnings. Fooling leadership in Chicago and didn't feel good. Local support sucked.

Advice to Management

Consider local leadership and how are they motivating the teams. Spend time with local people and listen to what they have to say. Remember that flashy new buildings usually perform better than the old stuff. Don't expect same level of performance and understand that unless you are willing to dedicate funds to improve the asset it may under perform.

Jun 28, 2016 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for input. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your peers, community and the conferences. However, we have to disagree with other concerns you raised as this is not how we conduct ... More

5. "It pays the bills so Five Stars for that!"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Equity is a fun company work for. For those who don't know much about Sales, Customer service, Equity Residential has an awesome training program.

Cons

No matter how great you are, no matter your sales expertise or your customer service expertise, Equity Residential will still hire someone less knowledgeable, immature, and less experienced for a Manager position.

Advice to Management

They say you never leave a job because of the company but because of your boss. Working for Equity has been an awesome experience, however, my job is safe as long as management doesn't change.

Apr 11, 2016 – Operations Specialist

It sounds like your employment with Equity Residential overall has been a positive experience, however, you may be experiencing (or have experienced) an issue with a specific person or decision. We ... More

"Micro management till insanity"

I worked at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Overall nice co-workers. Lax environment. Comradery

Cons

Conservative views leading to Micro management on all kinds of levels and the belittling of its tenants.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees and give them more trust to do their jobs, this goes a long way.

Mar 28, 2016 – Operations Specialist

Hello, We’re very sorry to see your "cons", as they are in no way consistent with how we want employees to treat our residents. We do expect that managers ensure policies and procedures are being ... More

"Upper Management in Chaos in NYC"

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

The company is well established with a great deal of resources for all associates. From a IR/IT and legal prospective, they far surpass other residential management companies.

Cons

The New York City regional office is in utter chaos. The employee that wrote the review "Cliques, gossip, and sycophants rule upper management" hit the nail on the head. In order to grow your career in the New York City within Equity, you must go against what is morally and ethically right. The company promotes Doing The Right Thing. If gossiping to succeed, inappropriate relationships with the regional team, sharing of confidential information, and setting different standards based on the clique you are in, is Doing The Right Thing. The Equity's NYC management team is doing just that.

Advice to Management

The New York City regional office needs to take a hard look at itself. We are asked all the time, why are people leaving the company? The answer lies within the regional office and who they associate themselves with. It's not the hours worked, the benefit package, the residents, etc. It's the people. I disagree with some of the reviews posted prior that Equity does not provide comparable salaries and wages. Is you compare salaries with other large residential management companies, you will find that they do (I have work for a few of them and can attest to that). What they do not do is provide a healthy working environment where all voices can be heard and respected.

My only regret is that I wish I could stand up and speak my mind within the organization. However, I can not risk my job at this point.

Please do not respond back saying that I sound like a disgruntled employee and I should call human resources. How about responding and saying thank you, you are right and we will fix it.

"NY Regional Office does not practice the 10 ways"

Current Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology tools are constantly updated and are great. Fun employee outings

Cons

Low pay, does not promote work life balance, career advancements are based on who you know not what you know

Advice to Management

When employee retention is low, our executive team should research on why employees are leaving. The NY area managers are unable to hold confidential information, consistently avoid escalated resident issues,and do not practice the ten ways to be a winner.

Mar 8, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. There are some comments in here that we would encourage you to share with your regional HR Director, so that specific concerns can be addressed ... More

"Would not work here again for any amount of money!"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Getting to talk to people and help them find their next home. Interacting with residents and getting to know the people who live in the community.

Cons

This company is essentially the "Stepford Wives" of business. You will not find a faker group of people in any industry. Ever. To call management incompetent would be a massive understatement, and if that's not bad enough, they refuse to be accountable for their nonsensical behavior and blatant lies and errors.

Every property manager that I met spent more time gossiping about their residents than doing anything else, which is quite frankly just bad business and morally bankrupt.

The work itself is terribly dull and often includes a great deal of busy work. The property managers bark orders with a smile and have you complete utterly pointless tasks just for the sake of them being in charge. I could go on and on.

I can't say that these things are true of every location, but I will say this, never trust a company that throws a christmas party and won't even spring for drinks. ($15 for a budweiser at a holiday party? Seriously? That's a good indication of how much they care about their people).

What I can say about the company as a whole is that the benefits are terrible. I had to drive 15 miles to get medication because their insurance only works with two pharmacies. You get one week of vacation after 6 months, and you don't get any real vacation until 5 or 6 years.

The 401K matching is an utter joke. The incentives are terrible (you will also compete with your manager for commissions, because that makes sense). Very poor benefits.

If you desperately need a paycheck, work for Equity as a last resort. If you can avoid it, for your own sanity, please do.

Advice to Management

Hold your entry level management accountable for their actions and stop allowing them to pass the blame for their incompetence on to their employees. It's really sad that upper management seems incapable of recognizing such blatant issues inside of their business units.

Feb 16, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We are very sorry to hear that you feel this way. Please contact HR at 202-971-7088 as we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns and experiences more specifically.

10. "Mass Exodus"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is considerable working knowledge within the company about landscaping and how maintenance issues are solved.

Cons

The upper management can't jump ship fast enough! There is a heavy exit from the Seattle market, which has always been steady with the hourly staff, and now even salaried staff can't appreciate this company's style. The focus was churning the leasing employees but the odd path to success is not appreciated by everyone. The career kiss of death is to follow their commandment "challenge authority". If you do this, you'll be marked for your Equity career. Egos are fragile and are driving this train 90% of the time. There is a diversity council to steer attention away from the lack of diversity, which is just lip service. The bias against several groups is shocking. Information leaks are famous in this portfolio. The employees actually don't follow any privacy policies because they haven't seen management do this. The average new employee is just out of high school and hasn't experienced real corporate standards anywhere.

Advice to Management

Suffer the pain of developing a moral compass. There are great people looking for jobs, folks with a sense of decency. This would cause shake ups, therefore real work involved for awhile, but the profits would be off the charts. Happy people make money for their employer.

Feb 16, 2016 – Operations Specialist

As a company that has worked hard to develop a culture that recognizes the hard work and value each employee brings forth, we are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We encourage you to contact ... More

11. "It's not for everyone"

Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Equity is a large REIT with high quality portfolios. There is a great deal of investment in processes and technology. It's a resume builder, or an okay gap in your career. Those who stick it out may succeed.

Cons

Those who have a soul will probably leave. The processes implemented may lead to returns for investors, but a sour taste for the associates that run the communities. Extreme micromanagement, zero recognition, and a pompous attitude from senior leadership. Sad to say that many beautiful buildings are full of associates who will stick around until the next best thing comes around. Little room for on site associates to make their own decisions leads to drawn out decision making which leads to dissatisfied residents and prospects that lease elsewhere. Blatant inconsistencies amongst the quality of senior leadership within regions. Many overpaid senior managers and VPs who are ineffective leaders.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping people rather than keeping profits. Get rid of the attitude and build a real culture. The 10 ways is a joke. From day 1, I felt no culture in this company. Embrace a realistic recruiting and retention strategy that focuses on millennials. Pay and bonuses are not competitive relative to demands.

Jan 26, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We're sorry that your experience at Equity was not a happy one and we appreciate the time you took to give us valuable feedback. As a company that spends a lot of time and energy developing a ... More