Equity Residential Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Equity Residential President, CEO, and Trustee David J. Neithercut
David J. Neithercut

Pros
  • Have taken recent steps to ensure more of a work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Great Benefits, 401K match after a year, team mentality, morally fit, helpful upper management & customer service oriented (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • There can often be more work than can be accomplished in a day but that is the challenge in any job to maintain work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Most of upper management does not have an open door policy (in 31 reviews)

"Asst Community Manager"

I have been working at Equity Residential (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co work are amazing to work with and work hard as a team

Cons

GM manipulates Employee engagement survey by hovering over employee to ensure a good result
    GM Micromanages to the max
    job titles are manipulated to pay employees less for more work

Nov 23, 2016 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are happy to hear that you have such wonderful relationships with your coworkers, the behavior of your GM that you described is not ... More

"Went downhill during my 10 years in New England"

Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

-good work life/balance
    -fun culture and environment
    -job has been made simple
    -pay is good for the level of work you do

Cons

-you no longer make any decisions on impact anything. You basically are now just a robot.
    -hiring decisions have nothing to do with how good you are
    -recruiting team is not good
    -no more teamwork among sister properties
    -RMs went from being great to being awful my last year

Advice to Management

-hire better employees that you can then trust to make more decisions. For the first 6-8 years I worked here, I thought I would never leave but things went very downhill quickly. It could of just been in this particular market. From the top down there was no communication, no accountability, and no listening whatsoever. It is very sad as I really loved working here for a long time and it used to be a great company.

I think that if the people in Sr. Management knew what really went on at the regional level they would be shocked.

Nov 9, 2016 – Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your time at Equity, although we are disappointed to hear that your opinion of the company changed so much during your time with us. We will ... More

3. "Regret quitting my job to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, in a sort of we will smile at you then talk about you later kind of way.

Cons

From the outside looking in, it appears this a a great company to work for. In the several months that I've been here, the same company that claims to be diverse and and built on teamwork is anything but. Their motto of "One Team" is a bit of a joke. In the team I work with it's so divided, there is a lack of communication, and the manager clearly favors certain people over others. In addition to try to learn my role I feel like there is always unnecessary drama floating around that make it difficult not only to focus but to want to be engaged in my position. I left a good job, thinking I was coming to a better job and from what I've seen thus far I am hugely disappointed. I hope my opinion changes but I'm doubtful.

Advice to Management

Respect their employees. Treat everyone fairly.

Oct 24, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We are very sorry to hear that your experience has not lived up to what you were expecting when you came to work with us. The environment you have described is contrary to everything we aspire to ... More

"Leasing Consultant"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Field team members are great- I've met some great people. Lots of training and classes. Health insurance is decent and can be pretty low cost but only if you participate in their wellness program.

Cons

Upper management is distant and only recognizes poor performance. As an onsite team member, you rarely hear from upper management until something goes wrong. Pay is insanely low. Commission structure makes it difficult to make any real money. Company says that they promote from within but plays favorites and will often already know who they are promoting without interviewing other candidates within the company. Impossible to get time off as a leasing consultant because the property always needs to be staffed and management is unwilling to cover or find help. Hours are long and leasing team is always expected to be in office even when other team members are leaving early.

Advice to Management

Value your onsite staff more. There's very little loyalty to the company because you aren't investing in your young employees.

Sep 26, 2016 – Operations Specialist

Although we regret that your experience has not been more positive, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. As you may have heard, we are piloting a new commission ... More

"Be ready to work as if you were 2-3 employees"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Ontario, CA

Pros

steady schedule/steady pay
    Okay pay for non- college grad

Cons

Understaffed and over stressed. In order to make more money for stock holders they staff the office and maintenance to the bare minimum it takes to run. Which means that Healthy- Work life balance they preach NEVER happens because their is only 1 floater for the entire IE and 1/2 of Orange County to help out with vacation days.In the years. If you are approved for vacation the rest of the staff has to suffer and take on your job duties as well. Work life balance also DOES NOT mean tour until closing! In the meantime your accomplishments are rarely recognized but every small detail down to the number of craiglists posts or outstanding leads you have are blasted every chance the regional gets, you're left wondering hmmmmm... 15 new leases for the month isn't enough to show what you have been doing with your time?? Maybe if there was enough people on staff then it would be possible to get you work done. Now let's get started on customer survey's... the entire staff is expected help to ensure to 34-50% VERY SATISFIED residents in order to get your bonus at the end of the year. So the entire staff ends up kissing butt to residents that are demanding and ungrateful to meet an unrealistic quota.

Advice to Management

Hire 1 more office and maintenance team member you will have less stressed, happier employees that are likely to stay with you longer and refer good employees . Stop sending employee surveys if you don't plan on changing anything. Stop micromanaging every detail of your employee down to their finger nail color, stop touring 30 mins to close so office can wrap up their day. VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEE'S more than your resident's. If your employee's are happy your residents will be happy, too. Good luck and farewell.

Aug 30, 2016 – Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for your honesty. Your frustration is apparent from your message, and we are sorry to hear we failed to engage and retain you in your role. Community and floating staffing levels ... More

7. "service tech"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time

Pros

Good learning exp for hand on and good opportunity to grow with

Cons

poor community with the manager, more of manager dont do work and lazy just sit behind the office take credit out of you and make them look good for the ceo.

Apr 11, 2016 – Operations Specialist

The experience you are sharing is inconsistent with how we view our managers who are typically very hands on. We encourage you to reach out to your regional HR team at (202) 971-7088 to discuss what ... More

"Cliques, gossip, and sycophants rule upper management"

Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Equity Residential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Technology and tools are some of the best in the business. There are a lot of people who really care about working hard and doing a good job. People who start here get a good baseline for industry knowledge and experience. If you leave before you're burnt out, you can go on to a successful career where you get paid more and aren't expected to wear as many hats.
    The less you know, the happier you'll be.

Cons

The closer you are to the top, the more you see this company for what it is. Everyone in upper management panders to their superiors and has completely lost touch with what the company proclaims to be about. If you are fresh and enthusiastic, beware! They will stretch you thin, wear you down, dangle carrots, and then move on to the next bright shiny new toy. The only way to advance is to play your politics well, and keep your mouth shut unless you're agreeing with corporate. If you're not telling them what they want to hear, you're black listed. Regional managers have been quoted as saying "if you leave equity, your career is dead."

This company is officially the Wal-Mart of property management. They want warm bodies who will do as they are told, not bright minds to make the business better. For what they expect you to do, the pay is not comparable. No other management company expects so much while paying so little.

In New York, corporate management has no problem sharing confidential conversations with lower level associates. Details of your career, private discussions with your boss, and plans for your future will be shared with your peers! If you decide to work here, proceed with caution and don't give anyone anything that they can use against you.

Advice to Management

Pay non-Union associates appropriate wages. Just because Union properties don't fit your ideal staffing model doesn't mean that you should pay less and staff less. You have complicated assets that are being run into the ground because you run them like you would a garden style property in Colorado.
    Start digging into the behavior of your regional leadership.

The real answers as to why you are losing so many tenured people are there if you look for them. Regional managers are supposed to be the voice of reason and reality between corporate and on site. If you're asking them for answers as to why you're losing people, then they will protect themselves first and foremost. Stop asking why people are leaving and start looking at the patterns of the regional leadership that people leave from under. There is a disparity in what is said are the company ethics and integrity, and what is practiced. It's going to cost you a class action lawsuit and possibly a fair housing lawsuit if you don't reign it in.

I wouldn't consider working for this company again because the company's message and actions don't match what you're expected to do. I loved working there for a long time, but my experience the last couple of years would keep me from recommending or returning. This story has become too common, and the people who are in a position to right the ship are ignoring the opportunity for easy answers that deflect blame, and profits that could be bigger if they nurtured their talent better. Humble yourselves and take a step back. It's not too late to become that which you already claim to be.

Feb 24, 2016 – Operations Specialist

It seems that you have had a work experience at Equity Residential that is inconsistent with the workplace we are striving to achieve. It is difficult for us to address the specifics or understand ... More

"Lowest Leasing Commission Rate In the Industry"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Equity Residential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gives you experience in all aspects of residential real estate. As a leasing consultant, you not only lease apartments, but deal with resident's complaints, service requests, lease renewals and transfers.

Cons

The lowest pay in the industry by far. Base salary is at the low end, but the commission is a joke. You have to lease 5 apartments in a single month just to make over $500 in commission. They pay a tiered commission rate that is way below any other residential landlord din NYC. After leasing 6 apartments you reach the "high tier". This is when your commission rate becomes comparable to other landlords. Most landlords in NYC pay 10% of the first month's rent towards commission, not even close here. So good luck leasing over 6 apartments every month just to get to the starting point of the commission that other landlords pay. Its almost insulting to the intelligence and handwork of the leasing agent. Besides the low commission rate, you are also expected to handle a great deal of resident management work (which you are paid nothing extra to do). However you do get to deal with renewals, at a little under $150 per renewal. Although, its not easy. The renewal offers to residents are insanely high and above market and before you can negotiate down you have to go through a whole song and dance.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more so you don't have to hire a team of people to respond to every negative comment of dissatisfied employees on this and other websites.

Mar 4, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking some time to tell us about your experience working at Equity. We are consistently comparing our compensation against other companies using market data to ensure that we are ... More

10. "leasing"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Equity Residential (More than 5 years)

Pros

good health plan, residents use of on line portals for fast access

Cons

micro management by inexperienced managers moving up too quickly based on who they know not what they know

Advice to Management

increase salary and commission to retain best knowledgeable experienced employees

Mar 4, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking a moment to review your experience working with us. It's good to know that you are happy with your benefits and the resources available to our residents. As a current ... More

11. "review"

Pros

company events are kind of nice but rare

Cons

bad culture no chance for advancement

Advice to Management

be better

Feb 24, 2016 – Operations Specialist

We are sorry to hear that you feel that way. We encourage you to reach out to your Community Manager, Regional Manager or HR department to discuss the issues you are experiencing. Directly ... More