Cover image for Equity Residential

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Equity Residential Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Nov 28, 2022

Join the conversation on

Real Estate

959 Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/real-estate-5/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Equity Residential~3635
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Pay was ok but the benefits were great.(in 98 reviews)
  • "Competitive pay and lots of useful Resources and Leaders.(in 51 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with(in 42 reviews)
  • "Great Training and that's it(in 38 reviews)
  • "Equity promotes from within and has a great culture.(in 38 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Equity Residential and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Love it here at Eqr

Sep 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company is on the cutting edge in terms of tech, culture and how they treat employees and residents

Cons

None that I have found over my tenure here at EQR

Operations Specialist

5 stars, how kind of you! We appreciate you taking the time to visit our page and share your thoughts. Thank you!!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Intern Review

Nov 6, 2022 - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great community and great people

Cons

Unclear assignments at some times.

Equity Residential Response

Thank you so much for the 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to reflect on your experiences as an Intern with us, and wish you the best of luck!

3. Join the Equity Residential team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Advancement and development severely lacking

Nov 28, 2022 - Assistant Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company culture and some great people.

Cons

Upper management does little in the way of promoting advancement and development opportunities. The portfolio is restructuring staffing, centralizing operations etc. in a way that takes away responsibilities and earning potential, rendering certain full-time roles almost irrelevant. This restructuring also limits advancement opportunities as managerial roles are extremely difficult to come by and competitive to earn.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Community Manager

Nov 23, 2022 - Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work with great people good atmosphere

Cons

Poorly compensated compared to others in industry

6. 4.0

I like the company

Nov 4, 2022 - Leasing Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone you meet is so kind and welcoming. The work events bring everyone together for a great time which I highly recommend attending.

Cons

Very business motivated and not people motivated.

Equity Residential Response

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your sharing your thoughts. We’re so happy to hear that you enjoy the employee events, as we equally love hosting events to show our employees how much we appreciate them! We recognize that everyone has a unique, personal perspective on what motivates them and try to take on a prescriptive approach to individual needs. While some people are motivated by verbal recognition or financial rewards, family or employee events may motivate others. We love celebrating diverse perspectives and encourage you to reach out to your manager or to Human Resources, if you’d like to further explore different types of motivation.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Enjoyed my experience

Oct 18, 2022 - Intern - Hourly
    Business Outlook

Pros

- very nice culture at the Chicago office

Cons

- everyone at the company is highly tenured

Operations Specialist

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and wish you all the best!

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

No loyalty to employees. Business is business I suppose.

Oct 30, 2022 - Leasing Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Promotes diversity (although if you look at the top of the chain, it's all older white people). Might just be a marketing strategy to make them seem inclusive. Many of the properties are very nice. Events which acknowledge employees achievements. Training modules are good with ongoing training throughout your tenure.

Cons

Management plays favorites. Promotions happen based on if your friends rather than work ethic/accomplishments/experience. They encourage you to get involved with all the extra curricular activities (volunteering, councils, etc). Some people have families and don't have time for all of that. A promotion should be based on the ability to do the job at hand, not if you have volunteered or signed up for something. Reminds me of highschool. Although they promote diversity, racism is rampit within the company from all sides. I have seen many good employees leave as they were accused of unfounded racism, then, to no surprised, replaced by someone who fit into the office better. HR will always be on the side of the accuser, never the accused and many play off of this. Equity has a motto to "question authority". Don't do it. Your manager will write you up. Once you start questioning anything, upper management starts whispering about you and soon you will find yourself without a job. Unqualified employees are hired. Equity really needs to do a better job with vetting new employees. Causes a lot of issues. New/unqualified employees are often kept over a more seasoned, experience employee who has been there for years. If you're a manager and have trouble handling a situation and ask for help, there won't be any. Then if you make a mistake, you will be the one leaving. Raises are not giving. If anything, the max you will receive annually will be 3%. This equals 30-60 cents a year. It's insulting. I addition, new hires will be hired in at a much higher rate than you. Equity does not believe in fair pay. Comission- the commission structure is awful. Many other companies will offer higher commission. For renewals, they recently took them off site to a centralized renewals team. This caused many employees to lose income. They have no concern for this and no plan in place to compensate for lost income. Management is very quick to point out any mistake you've made, small or big, and almost never acknowledges hard work. Equity truly does not care about residents. I realize it is a business, however, often times many residents will come together with requests, opinions, advice, etc. Much of which is very valid. However management just brushes it off. The way they see it, the residents can move out and we will re-rent the apartment. I've even seen it where a leasing consultant will go out of their way to assist a resident, just to be scolded by management. Lastly, no matter how well you perform your job, how dedicated you have been, and how much revenue you have brought the company, in the end you are just being a 'seat filler'. They will do nothing to try and keep you if you decide to leave. HR and upper management are intertwined. What one wants the other wants. Always remember, HR is not the friend of the employee. They are paid by the company and out in place to protect the company. I saw many things happen where HR did not take something seriously or just brushed it under the rug.

2 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you for voicing your perspectives. Please know that at Equity Residential we are committed to creating an ethical and inclusive workplace. We do not tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind. We take allegations like what you’ve described very seriously, as such behavior is unacceptable. Equity Residential is committed to supporting our employees. If any of our employees experience or witness inappropriate behavior, we encourage them to report it to their manager, or if they would prefer an anonymous platform, we also offer the Call to Action Hotline (by phone 800-231-5699 or online CallToActionHotline.com) as a resource. Our Human Resources department represents a variety of teams: Organization Talent & Development, Employee Relations, Talent Acquisitions, Compensation and Benefits are just a few. A recurring theme for each of the HR sub-departments is focusing on our people. We encourage you to reach out to us directly to have a conversation about how you’re feeling, and want to thank you in advance for allowing us an opportunity to further discuss any questions you may have regarding general concerns, compensation and commissions, or perhaps even brainstorm ideas on how to utilize your Community Service Day (if you elect to do so, of course). Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Careless Employer

Nov 10, 2022 - Concierge in Alexandria, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

None they done offer anything they temp most of their work out.

Cons

They will use you and then fire you sneakily. Do not trust the managers here. They expect you to work shifts for other workers who don’t show up. Concierge should not be SECURITY.

1 person found this review helpful

Equity Residential Response

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. We take allegations like yours very seriously, and would encourage you to share your concerns with our Human Resources team. Please know that we also offer resources such as our Call to Action Hotline (by phone 800-231-5699 or online CallToActionHotline.com), as an option to voice concerns anonymously.

10. 3.0

Decent

Oct 20, 2022 - Leasing Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool Residents Meeting new people Receiving commission

Cons

Need better pay Don't think there is room for growth

Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. We would encourage you to have conversations with your Community Manager about your own growth and development, as we regularly post transfer and promotion opportunities on our career site. And in 2022, we’re excited to share that we’ve already processed over 350 internal transfers and promotions!

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great portfolio, Toxic work culture

Oct 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are great, and the portfolio includes many beautiful apartments.

Cons

Gossip circulates and is fixed in the culture here. Senior management will tarnish your professional brand once you leave, despite how much value you may have added during your time with the company.

3 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. The atmosphere you’ve described doesn’t align with the culture and work environment that Equity Residential strives for; we hope that during your time with us, you reached out to your local Human Resources team, or utilized one of the platforms that we provide to our employees, to voice your concerns. We wish you the very best.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 53 Reviews