Cover image for Equity Residential

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Equity Residential Employee Reviews about "property management"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Equity Residential and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "property management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great leaders that talk to you!

Jan 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall leaders are caring and engaged all the way to the top. Also, there is high quality training and thoughtful career development. Equity is a leader in Property Management and a great place to work.

Cons

You will work hard and be expected to go above and beyond. This is not really a "Con", but may not be for everyone.

Operations Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you are experiencing the proactive, open, honest communication that we strive to provide to our employees. We believe in being transparent and that starts with the communication from our leadership team. We pride ourselves in offering great training programs to our team members, and place a great emphasis on individual career development. Thank you for your thoughtful review and are glad that you agree that Equity is a great place to work and grow!

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great Culture, Average Compensation

Nov 15, 2021 - Leasing Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture within company Nice properties to work at

Cons

Poor work-life balance - You will likely be working out of an office that feels understaffed. Property management can be a soul sucking job. The hours are usually 9AM-6PM which leaves you with very little time for yourself at the end of the day. You will probably leave work exhausted too from dealing of the host of issues that come up every day. Compensation is lacking. If you're anything less than an SM or CM, you barely make enough to scrape by in the cities this company is located in.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Equity Residential team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Work/Life Balance & Mental Health - thing of the past

Sep 21, 2021 - Community Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you work hard, you will be rewarded. You can easily make property management a life long career - lots of room for growth.

Cons

While Equity did a great job during the pandemic, the work/life balance that was provided and the push for mental health awareness has seemed to disappear. Gone are the days in which people have the option to work from home. Many of us had performed and kept the building running while working from home so why now the change? Of course in our industry, being present as a manager is a necessity at times but why not offer WFH 1 - 2 days per week. It seems that Equity is now "back to business" and does not care about mental health any longer. We are still in a pandemic, we still are stressed, we still are not back to "normal life'. Many employees wish that Equity could move forward with the times and revisit schedules, wfh opens, etc. This will entice new employees to apply, engage current employees & increase morale.

Operations Specialist

We appreciate you and your focus on both work/life balance and mental health, as these are two very important focal points for Equity Residential. In fact, our Equity Values Council just recently launched “21 Days of Mindfulness”, a company-wide initiative that focuses on prioritizing Emotional and Mental Wellbeing. In addition to ongoing communication and reminders about the Employee Assistance Program that we offer, we also recently introduced #LeaseOnLife, a campaign to highlight various mental and emotional wellbeing topics, such as anxiety, stress, depression, and burnout. Please know that we absolutely care about the mental well-being of our employees, and are committed to offering services and initiatives that will continue to support this important component of total wellbeing. Equity is committed to providing a healthy and safe workplace, following CDC (and local/county/city) guidelines. While there may have been specific instances throughout the pandemic in which members of our onsite teams were able to work from home, those unique accommodations were outside of our standard operating practices, as we are part of an industry in which asset management, as well as face to face interactions with our customers, are necessary. With that being said, office hours and schedules are constantly being reviewed by our senior leaders, to see if there are any opportunities to make changes while balancing operational needs.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Okay experience overall.

Sep 21, 2021 - Assistant Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rental discounts, opportunities for growth, great entry level Positions to enter into property management field

Cons

Large REIT, concerned with shareholders more than employees. Seems to be going into a direction of outsourcing tasks/jobs to 3rd parties. Implemented electronic assistant to help manage leads. Working from home is not available although most tasks do not warrant being in the office.

Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and to celebrate all of your noted pros! Our success is composed of several dynamics - our employees, resident satisfaction, and our shareholders (just to name a few!). Please know that each of these components is equally as important and valuable as the other. The artificial intelligence platforms that have been introduced to assist with certain tasks should be viewed as a resource to help our leasing teams balance their workload, and were implemented based on feedback we received through employee surveys, as well as our commitment to “Listen, not just hear.”

6. 1.0

RUN!!!!!

Aug 10, 2021 - Maintenance Technician in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Staffing Other than Property Management is good but other than that I would really have to Lie to meet the 20 word minimum.

Cons

Property Management. For some strange reason feel as though building operations employees are beneath them. Absolutely 0 respect for any help. This was once a great place to work but On the grounds, college kids, on call, retail space tenants, Dogs, pool operations and clean up leads to major BURNOUT! In my opinion the salary is sooooo not worth it.

3 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

We are so sorry to hear that your experience with us is what you describe and want to better understand your concerns. Please reach out to the SR HR Director at (424) 732-4230 so that we can discuss and determine how we can best support you.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Equality in Equilibrium

Jul 2, 2021 - Leasing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to help people, and not indirectly such as donating to starving kids, rather you get to deal with real-life problems and see them to their completion. Honestly, that is the driving force of their business model. This is the only company that I've worked for where the bottom of the company structure is the premise of the company. Ultimately this provides the ultimate job security as long as your compatent. If you ever need a confidence booster, try property management.

Cons

Senior leadership is a shell of what you are as a consultant; almost like a reverse locus effect. You as the Leasing Consultant are the budding locus waiting to be sucked into a cocoon of mediocrity. Yes, they have a host of outdated knowledge, that doesn't necessarily pertain to our unique situation, but ultimately you are left to your own devices to manage problems. And, of course, they are there to pat you on the back if things go well, but vise versa to the alternative outcome. For those of the faint of hearts, heed my warning and find another career path, but if you thrive in conflict and hate mundane modernity such as I, then dive in and test your limits.

Operations Specialist

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our intention is for our leadership teams to provide support and guidance. Please reach out to your local HR Director to provide specifics on your time with us at (424) 732-4230.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Jul 27, 2020 - Senior Leasing Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Equity Residential is an exceptionally progressive and forward thinking company. They’ve made great investments into talent acquisition and training.

Cons

Weekends are mandatory however that is typical in the property management industry.

Recruiter

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your appreciation to what Equity has always strived to be. We are so happy to have a Talent Acquisition Team that is enthusiastic about finding the best talent out there! We believe that training is the key to developing new and current team members, and in providing tools and guidance to help our employees grow and learn. We are happy to hear you are taking advantage of it!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great place to build your career

Apr 13, 2020 - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a place where leadership cares and where teams and care about each other. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else during this COVID19 crisis. Everyone has responded thoughtfully to take care of both the customers and team members. The sophisticated operating platform has made it easier to operate in difficult times. We also have great benefits which were increased even more during COVID 19 when everyone was awarded another 160 hours of paid time to deal with any personal issues or if we choose to self quarantine. Thanks Equity!

Cons

Property management can be busy and stressful

Operations Specialist

What a heartwarming review! Thank you so much; we agree that Equity has had a thoughtful approach to our current conditions. At the core of this company are our teams who care about people - their teammates, residents, and vendors, just to name a few groups. Our employees are valued and deserve to be supported during this time and always. Thank you for all that you are doing to support your team and residents as well.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent Company To Work For!

Feb 10, 2020 - Sales and Leasing Consultant in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Equity is night and day from my last property management job. It's been a second family for the last 3 and a half years. Everyone I work with has a positive attitude and I look forward to coming to work everyday.

Cons

There have been no cons about this company

1 person found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

We appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your positive experience and uplifting thoughts - thank you!

11. 5.0

Community Manager

Jan 29, 2020 - Community Manager in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Equity is the company I have ever worked for. Equity is so passionate about investing in employees and if you want to move up, the opportunities are there. I’ve worked with the company for 4 years and have been promoted twice already. I started as a Leasing Consultant, new to the industry, was promoted to Leasing Manager and finally Community Manager. Work is work, there are things you will like and dislike about any job but working for Equity gave me additional benefits- a beautiful apartment, that I wouldn’t live in without my discount, and friendships that I’ll never forget. The people who work for this company are the ones who make it and Equity does a great job of bringing them together during classes and leadership summits but also through meet ups outside of work.

Cons

Property Management is a difficult business to have a proper work/life balance in and while Equity is trying to offer employees options to help that, managers don’t really get that benefit. Even when off or on vacation, we are never really off. I am not sure what the solution is to this issue, but I wish there was a way to elevate some of that pressure.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 Reviews