KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Equity Residential

Engaged Employer

Equity Residential

Add a Review

Equity Residential Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 63 of over 745 reviews

4.3
Equity Residential President and CEO Mark Parrell
Mark Parrell
Pros
  • "Great Benefits & Professional Staff(in 47 reviews)

• "great pay, positive work-life balance, easy going work environment(in 35 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color(in 41 reviews)

• "Not much of a work/life balance(in 37 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Equity Residential and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Love Equity, Equity Loves You Back

Dec 21, 2020 - Community Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits - fair compensation, feels like upper management is transparent. Has been moving towards becoming more inclusive, listening to black voices and including trans folks into our conversations. Most corp employees and upper level employees have been very open to sharing knowledge and mentoring. I've literally reached out to people I barely know to ask to be mentored about what they do and how to improve in certain skills, and each time they happily arrange a time to work with me. I have put in a lot of time with this company, and part of that was because, especially when I first started, I didn't have the privilege of being able to just quit and get a different job. I know that's a weird concept but being able to just quit a job is a privilege. I decided at one point that i wanted my career to be here (there are some extraordinary scenarios where i would leave, but it involves my in-laws moving to Nicaragua tbh) so I started looking for new ways to be more successful and grow. Not just move up, but make meaningful moves that help me. I'm ranting at this point, but really, this company loves you back.

Cons

work/life balance can be difficult to achieve with business needs especially in the Seattle area as we work with really small teams so getting coverage can be difficult. This is more true for LCs. Corp positions are few and far between (naturally) but what makes it more difficult when they come available is that they are usually based in Chicago. Not that I would't consider relocating, but some positions can be done inn any of the markets with virtual meetings etc. Thats even more apparent now that we've done everything virtually for the last year lol.

Recruiter

10 Years on the Equity Team! We love it and are so happy to have you! As you are aware, we strive to communicate effectively with all teams across the nation and create a sense of community with not only residents but employees. We are so happy to hear that you enjoy working at Equity and appreciate the feedback!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Transparency from the top all the way down

Jan 11, 2021 - Service Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Upper management puts an emphasis on explaining the decisions that are made at the corporate level. I feel like there's a reason for every policy. Whether or not I agree, I always know the why behind the what.

Cons

The nature of the job makes it impossible to work in a bubble. Service team members are Essential. We worked throughout the beginning of the pandemic. And continue to work every day. I worry about my safety and the safety of my family.

Operations Specialist

We appreciate your dedication to our residents, and understand that these are difficult times to navigate through. Please know that we take the safety of our employees very seriously and are adhering to all federal, state, and local guidelines related to Covid-19. As you mentioned, we are considered an essential business; while there are times in which our teams have to respond to emergency situations, we are working hard on offering alternative solutions to other in person service team responses through virtual platforms such as videos for our residents, as well as troubleshooting conversations via phone and email. If you have any questions regarding how a certain situation or service call should be responded to, please reach out to your Community Manager or Regional Facilities team for guidance. Thank you for all that you do.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Understaffed and Overworked Employees

Dec 29, 2019 - Leasing Consultant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Discounts on rent if you live at an Equity property. -You work with some really great people.

Cons

-High Turnover: There is an unbelievable amount of turnover in the leasing offices. Upper management doesn't seem to care since they'll end up paying the new employee less than someone who's been there longer. About half the leasing consultants I started with in training left by the time I hit 6 months. -Understaffing: Even with high turnover, they do not fill positions quickly (sometimes months) which leaves an already understaffed office with very little support. I've seen them take advantage and completely burn out so many great employees to the point of quitting. -Work/Life Balance: You barely get any holidays off and most employees work weekends (even managers) -Manipulative management: Community and Regional managers know how to manipulate their employees when making decisions about their careers (transferring communities, promotions, quitting, etc.) and are always only looking out for themselves and their own careers.

2 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While we are disappointed to hear that your experience was not more positive, we do appreciate the insight, and we take it seriously. We recognize that our industry is one that comes with its challenges, including competing for and retaining talent in a competitive job market, and we are continuously striving to adapt and improve our processes to meet these demands. We are particularly concerned to hear your take on leadership in your market, and we hope that you shared some specific examples with your local HR team prior to your departure. If you did not, please know that we would still welcome the opportunity to hear from you, and encourage you to reach out. Thank you, and we wish you the best.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Used to love it but now...

Aug 9, 2019 - Community Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are decent. They have created a forum for the company to communicate nationwide and enter suggestions on improvements so you feel like your voice is heard.

Cons

If you've been with the company for more than 4 years then you know how it used to be. Everyone felt like family and you could ask for support without worrying about your capabilities to do your job being questioned. They've taken away resident events that the residents actually enjoyed and started charging them to attend, they've cut back on employee events so we don't get to meet as much with our peers that support each other. Leadership is unhelpful. They tell you to think like an owner but treat you like you are incapable of making a sound business decision if it doesn't make the investors money. They say do the right thing but that doesn't mean what you think it means. They call us field workers and that's exactly how we are treated. Disposable. Any employee that works in the "field" is spread way too thin. They promote work life balance but you spend your evenings, weekends, and vacations trying to catch up or ensure your community doesn't go up in flames. And if it does, no one from upper management helps. They let you drown and tell you to figure it out on your own. Good luck trying to get promoted if you are not favored.

6 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. Although we are disappointed to hear that your impression of the company has changed over the length of your tenure, we are hopeful that after the amount of time you have invested in your career here, we may have the opportunity to re-engage you. Many members of our senior leadership team, both across the country and across departments, read these reviews and take the feedback seriously; while yours is difficult to hear, we are appreciative that you shared it with us. We also hope that the upcoming Leader Summit will be a great opportunity for you to network with all of your CM and SM peers, as well as hear about new initiatives and strategy from our leadership team, and of course — make your voice heard. If you have specific feedback you are willing to share, we hope you will contact your HR Director at 202-971-7088. We thank you again, and we hope for the opportunity to change your perspective.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great benefits, but watch your back

Oct 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is an amazing sense of comraderie among the property teams with people always willing to go above and beyond to help you. The benefits are bomb with a 4% 401K match, ESPP options, adoption money up to $20k and fertility treatment up to $20k too! Plus they have an awesome education and training program that will teach you all about property management.

Cons

Although they talk about a work life balance they will work you to the bone. The company is proud to boast of its skeletal staffing and your constantly fighting to get money for the property. They will also low ball you on offers so make sure to negotiate negotiate negotiate!! They also suck you in with the apartment discount but they don’t tell you that you the money that you get taxed doesn’t make it worth it. Also upper management in Chicago is super all boys club with very little diversity with women or people of color. So beware of that glass ceiling.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Truly saddened by my experience and what I left to come here

Feb 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very good pay. Good location to work in the Loop in Chicago. Lots of wonderful and talented people to work with on your team.

Cons

Work/life balance is a non-factor particularly for the department I worked in. Burn-out factory to the nth. A point that was driven home to me when I took the job was the average tenure of employees that worked there. I believe I was told "14 years" as an average. I just had a child and was looking for a way to make a better life for me and my family and stability was a very attractive variable in my decision equation. In fact, this was so important to me that I took the job knowing they offered 1 week of vacation starting (from my 4 weeks that I used to have) and relatively inferior health insurance benefits. They offered an amazing bonus! I took a chance. After two months, I knew I made a mistake. At first, it was the overwhelming amount of emails that got to you. Every. Single. Day. Then, it was the embarrassment of being chastised in group email distributions. Then, it was your ability to make progress on anything because you were lost wasting time on nuances that you couldn't let go because you were told to find a resolution on a problem that could occur when a far-reaching hypothetical may occur(but never could). Everything is controlled and micro-managed... through email. You watch as good people get fired or simply leave and your own happiness of your career path gets completely seeped away. There is no opportunity to blaze your own path. Anonymous feedback to management was met with "if you don't like it here, you can leave." I left. At the end of my time here, I was the longest-tenured member of my team and I couldn't bear it to my 2-year mark. If you value any time of life beyond Equity, this is NOT the place for you. If you have kids, don't come to this department because you will miss them growing up. If you love to work, great, but no chance of recovery because for some reason 1 week of vacation is acceptable in the USA in 2018 (time of my hire). You will neither advance nor will you be happy with where you're at unless you are whipped like a slave and then like being whipped. The department has a significant culture problem. Management created it or is it. Upper management simply doesn't care. I'm sad because my instinct was to stay where I was, but I took a chance on an unknown. Equity killed my passion for what I've been doing for more than 15 years. I'm no longer in the industry and it was the direct result for working at Equity.

6 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience and perspectives with us. We’re truly sorry to hear that you felt this way, as we strive to create an environment of work/life balance and have a team dedicated to focusing solely on the competitive employee benefits that we offer. We would like the opportunity to speak with you about what you’ve described, and if you did not have the chance to share your feedback with our HR team prior to your departure, we would encourage you to reach out at any time.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Current Community Manager

Dec 28, 2018 - Community Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Equity truly is the best of the best. The training, employees and support your receive is amazing. Pay is good-not great but we operate in cities where the cost of living is high so it's relative. BUT we do get a housing discount, which really helps and a lot of people take advantage of. Other benefits like PTO, health insurance, 401K are pretty good. Health insurance can be really affordable if you participate in the wellness program and you should (can't complain about Amazon gift cards and cheaper premiums!) Career advancement is probably where Equity shines- they have great training programs for new employees and they've developed programs for their leasing consultants and service techs to gain the skills to be promoted. Upper management is also supportive and understanding. Leadership does take the time to listen to the concerns of the onsite team and will respond to concerns that are frequently brought up.

Cons

Properties tend to be staffed thin. Like I mentioned above too, Equity operates in cities with a high cost of living, the pay is good but unless you live far from the buildings they manage, it's pretty expensive to live. Work/life balance can be difficult especially in the busy season.

4 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to share this excellent, candid feedback! We're so appreciative of all that you do as a leader to one of our on-site teams. We love that you highlighted career advancement and training as one of the positive things you love about Equity - and as a CM, you are paying it forward in those areas every day with your team. Regarding staffing and work/life balance, please know that we hear you and we are constantly evaluating our staffing levels and resources in an effort to keep you and your teammates engaged. As you may have heard, we have developed yet another Service training program that will be launching everywhere this spring and that we see as a great way to develop bench strength for the region, and we also plan to proactively hire additional floaters again this year during the busy summer season. If you have any other feedback or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out. In the meantime, thank you for all that you do and for taking the time to share your thoughts!

8. 5.0

We Are Family

Jan 13, 2020 - Community Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Equity is like having a huge family. Everyone is very supportive and upper management does listen if you speak up.

Cons

There have been a few occasions where too many changes were implemented too fast.

Operations Specialist

Thank you so much for your positive review and for your feedback. We are so fortunate to have you as a part of our family!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

#TeamEquity

Aug 15, 2019 - Leasing Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Equity Residential creates an amazing company culture that truly values its employees as people first. Management is extremely helpful and you really feel like your teammates are there to support you and want to see you succeed. I’ve only been with Equity for a little over half a year and have felt welcomed and appreciated from day one. I’ve worked in property management before and this is the first company where upper management is not some invisible entity, but actual people who are visible and present to support and help you along the way regardless of your job title or how early you are in your career.

Cons

None come to mind.

Operations Specialist

Wow - what an awesome review! We couldn’t be happier to hear that your introduction to our company has been so positive, and that you have felt supported, heard, and appreciated. We’re so proud of all of our team members who contributed to such a welcoming and inclusive experience, and we are so glad to have you as a part of our Equity family. Keep up the great work, and we can’t wait to see where your career takes you!

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Forever a stockholder, but it would be hard to come back as an employee

Dec 28, 2018 - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good medical insurance, maternity/paternity leave, great place to climb the ranks if you don't have a college degree

Cons

First and foremost priority is the shareholder - it's all about the bottom line. Direct manager's aren't given the ability to properly reward and recognize top employees. A top employee may not rent the most apartments, but put in the extra work and work outside their job description. Lastly, the things upper management makes you do to residents can be crazy at times. In my opinion, sometimes if the lease says something there is still room for forgiveness. When bad news has to be delivered, it is usually delivered from community/service managers, leasing consultants, or technicians (rarely at a higher level than that). In order to stick to community guidelines and avoid using trade secrets or confidential information, I won't elaborate on some of the border line unethical practices I've witnessed. Although, there are standard practices that would make it so I would never put my family or myself in an Equity Apartment.

3 people found this review helpful

Operations Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback regarding your experience with us. We regret that you are not able to reflect on your time with us in a more positive light, and are very sorry to hear about the things you mentioned that were disengaging and discouraging for you. We hope that you were able to share this feedback with your supervisor and HR prior to your departure, but if not, please know the lines of communication remain open as we are always striving to collect as much feedback as we can in order to improve. Thank you for your time at Equity, and we wish you the best in your current and future endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 63 Reviews